Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Time To Panic? I Think Not!

Exodus

Okay Colts fans, let calm down. Sure Peyton is the face of this franchise, but i figure this could turn out to be a blessing. "How the #$!@ could this be a blessing???" you may ask. Well, i will explain.

1. Okay, Ive been thinking hardcore here, and i think no peyton can help our Defense. Larry Coyer we all know has been sucked into the "bend but don't break" defense. Maybe that changes. The defense now knows that potentially a game may have to won by them. Peyton isn't there to take the team on a 2 minute drill. So maybe Larry will dial up the blitz, maybe we see the safeties going for the ball more. Maybe this is the year our defense steps up.

2. Peyton will be rested!! When Peyton comes back, he will be ready to go with a rested body. What could a rested Peyton Manning mean for opposing defenses??

3. The same thing i said about the defense could be said about the O-line. They now know its up to them to keep Kerry upright and make those holes bigger for a RB. Maybe the O-line comes to play HARD!!

Our season isnt over, heck, it hasn't even begun yet. Im still optimistic that this season will still be a success. The Colts go 10-6 and still make the playoffs.

It is now time to get back to smash mouth Colts football.

I'm actually hoping it's a tad over so we grab Andrew Luck. I'm not saying, I'm just saying :P.

To me, this season was going to be a Superbowl run and the Colts being the first team in league history playing in their own stadium. Now we're debating whether we will even make the playoffs! Quite a reversal of fortune. That to me is a lost season I'd rather we get something out of it with a good pick in next year's draft. Yes, we may go 8-8 or 9-7, but that may not qualify us for the playoffs.

Also, getting stomped will further prove to the league how important Peyton Manning was, and may silence some Brady vs. Manning critics. There should be no doubt after this season who is more important to his team, but we cant prove that if we go 11-5.

2. Peyton will be rested!! When Peyton comes back, he will be ready to go with a rested body. What could a rested Peyton Manning mean for opposing defenses??

Peyton literally had not one, not two, but three neck surgeries in the span of 19 months. The third happened recently:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82209234/article/colts-manning-undergoes-third-neck-surgery-in-19-months?module=HP11_headline_stack

My guess is the reports elsewhere are confirmed - I think he's out the entire season. He may come back week 15 or 16, but why bother if the season is lost before then?

Peyton has been bailing out the defense for years. Putting points on the board and getting first downs have kept the defense from being embarrassed even further. With a struggling offense, look for the defense (especially the run D) to get worn down by the 2nd half of every game.

Okay Colts fans, let calm down. Sure Peyton is the face of this franchise, but i figure this could turn out to be a blessing. "How the #$!@ could this be a blessing???" you may ask. Well, i will explain.

1. Okay, Ive been thinking hardcore here, and i think no peyton can help our Defense. Larry Coyer we all know has been sucked into the "bend but don't break" defense. Maybe that changes. The defense now knows that potentially a game may have to won by them. Peyton isn't there to take the team on a 2 minute drill. So maybe Larry will dial up the blitz, maybe we see the safeties going for the ball more. Maybe this is the year our defense steps up.

3. The same thing i said about the defense could be said about the O-line. They now know its up to them to keep Kerry upright and make those holes bigger for a RB. Maybe the O-line comes to play HARD!!

Our season isnt over, heck, it hasn't even begun yet. Im still optimistic that this season will still be a success. The Colts go 10-6 and still make the playoffs.

Brother I couldn't agree with you more. It is the DEFENSES time to shine.

I'm just looking at the fact that we'll most likely get a top 10 pick in the draft. Heck, maybe even a top 3. With that we could get one of the beast QBs, WRs, DEs, or CBs in next years draft. Also, this can be a good developmental year for our young players.

My fellow colts brothers I understand we all feel same way sick.about Peyton being out! I hope and pray for his quick and full recovery. Til then I am glad we have a veteran qb like Collins and your so right thus team needs too step up! O line needs too run block and protect Kerry! Our defense needs too stop the frigging run no more than 100 yards a game! Plus I think that someobeon that coaching staff has too step up and say we can't have Lacey starting corner we just can't that is my biggest worry Sunday that he gets beat several times too many and we play catch up. I love the colts! I hope they step up and shut up some of these so called analyst that say we are dead and haven't even started the season! !! Go colts! !!!

I think changing the "bend but don't break" philosophy will be most important. Do that, run the ball alittle more, and I think Collins will be fine.

Colts still have a shot at winning the division but the team is going to have to play balanced, smashmouth football.

I'm actually hoping it's a tad over so we grab Andrew Luck. I'm not saying, I'm just saying :P.

To me, this season was going to be a Superbowl run and the Colts being the first team in league history playing in their own stadium. Now we're debating whether we will even make the playoffs! Quite a reversal of fortune. That to me is a lost season I'd rather we get something out of it with a good pick in next year's draft. Yes, we may go 8-8 or 9-7, but that may not qualify us for the playoffs.

Also, getting stomped will further prove to the league how important Peyton Manning was, and may silence some Brady vs. Manning critics. There should be no doubt after this season who is more important to his team, but we cant prove that if we go 11-5.

Peyton literally had not one, not two, but three neck surgeries in the span of 19 months. The third happened recently:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82209234/article/colts-manning-undergoes-third-neck-surgery-in-19-months?module=HP11_headline_stack

My guess is the reports elsewhere are confirmed - I think he's out the entire season. He may come back week 15 or 16, but why bother if the season is lost before then?

Ok let me get this straight. You don't want the Colts to go 11-5 without Peyton so it could prove he is better than Brady. Please tell me you wrote that as a joke. If not, hop on the weinermobile my friend your thinking is flawed.

I'm just looking at the fact that we'll most likely get a top 10 pick in the draft. Heck, maybe even a top 3. With that we could get one of the beast QBs, WRs, DEs, or CBs in next years draft. Also, this can be a good developmental year for our young players.

Cant afford to play Manning and a high draft pick. Cant draft Luck and have 40 mmillion invested in QB position. :)

I am not panicking. I have faith in the team and have faith in Collins. Plus it might be a plus let some unknowns shine. We still have Freeney and Mathis on the defensive side. We Still have Saturday, Clark, Addai on the offensive side. It will be interesting to see how Wayne works with Collins. I hope Wayne will shut up and be a good teammate to Collins. I am not losing faith. Go Colts!

Couldnt agree with u more! Only i think its gonna take 11 wins MINIMUM to get into the play offs. First and foremost i want us to come out and totally shock the Texans, analysts, and doubters to no end with a running game and precision passing.

why does everyone keep thinking that QB wins games?

anyone who knows anything about football knows that games are won as a team. It's absurd to put the whole season on Kerry and ask him to save us. We have way too many stars on this team, time for EVERYONE to step up.

How can the Colts pass a player on a physical, sign him to a 90 Million dollar contract, and now they find out that he had a third neck surgery in 19 months and not be panicking?

Here's the reality, Peyton just had a single-level anterior fusion via spinal surgery. The recommended recovery time is 6 months to 1 year with perfect results, but keep in mind that prognosis does not include the returning to field where 250-330 lb men will be paid to test the surgical results. If you're a Peyton fan, you should be wishing that he will retire from the NFL, rather than come back at the age of 36 to put his permanent mobility at risk.

Unless the Colts are completely unaware--which I find doubtful--the only reason they haven't IR'd him is to keep selling tickets this season, cover-up the fact that they made a tremendous mistake in signing the new contract/passing the physical, or have stuck their heads in the sand.

Pass on the best qb prospect since manning?Tough decision.

If we do end up having a terrible season (which I surely hope we don't) and we are in a position to draft Andrew Luck, I think we would have to do it. He'll still have tremondous trade value after the draft, so we can draft him and keep him on the roster until Peyton has shown that he is fully recovered and back to his old self. Then at that point we can trade Luck to the highest bidder to get some players that can help us win superbowls immediately. If Manning doesn't recover, then we'd have the best possible fallback plan in place. Plus, the longer Luck stays on our team under Manning, I think the more his value grows. To have that much potential, and then study under Manning on top of it, that's like adding a Master's degree to a Bachelor's degree. Which candidate would you rather hire? I think that's the most reasonable way to handle that situation. And if the Colt's are up front with Manning and the public why they're drafting Luck (just as insurance), I wouldn't see anybody getting too upset about it, including Manning.

Correct. This needs to be the mentality of every Colts fan going into Sunday.

I totally agree. Why start out on a negative note? That only sets you up for failure. Let's go into this season with a positive attitude- because we are still the Colts! It is a little scary that Peyton will not be there, but our boys can do it!! Peyton must think about his health after all he is only 35 years old with a lot more life to live. He would want all Colt fans to keep a positive thought going into this season. And we all know he will be on that sideline helping to "coach" those plays.

Totally agree exodus. We will have to change somethings (the element of suprise to other teams). Our current stars will play harder. The defense & Oline will be FORCED to play harder. Not the same old colts equals new results, hopefully we can take advantage of this . GO COLTS !! :lombardi:

As someone else already pointed out, the recovery for this surgery is long. 4-10 weeks just to feel a bit better in general, and then 3-4 more of rehab and visits to the doctor. On average, six months to a year. Peyton is not coming back this season, and the guy that said they're not going to come out and say that so they can continue to sell tickets is exactly right. Peyton and the Colts will not win the SB in their own house. I think we can all let that go. Getting Andrew Luck would be the best possible decision they could make since Manning. If we lose to the Browns and then Steelers, maybe then some of you will be a bit more rational about this and put your bias aside. I want Peyton back just as much as the next guy, but no matter when or where he returns, he is not going to be the same Manning and he will fear for his career everytime he touches that ball more than he ever has before

on a side note, if the patriots can continue to play the way they did last night, tom brady will have only one less mvp than manning at (3) by the end of this year, and the pats will have no competition throughout the playoffs as they go on to win the superbowl in Peyton's own house. how damaging would that be lol forums like this one would explode with hate and damage control.

- our defense wasnt good before, and now that we dont have peyton, they are suppose to be better somehow? i dont see it. "oh hey guys, peytons gone, now we can get the RB, now its time to play ball." sorry not happening.

- rested and rusty

sorry once again, just because peyton is gone, they arent just now going to decide that they have to open up lanes, and protect the QB.

- its not over, just saying it aint looking good. honestly the way we played, i will be excited, cant beleive i am even saying this, that we could beat the browns.

- we did the colts play smash mouth football?