Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 11/07

sb41champs

Beginning this season the NFL started airing weekly Thursday Night Football contests on the NFL Network at the start of the season - rather than near the end when playoff positioning and berths were on the line !!

The only real benefit was the fact that each and every NFL team would have the chance to play in the Thursday night spotlight !!

Our Colts played a 1 PM game on Sunday that was VERY physical - and - now must prepare - then - travel to Jacksonville for a Thursday night contest !! That leads me to today's inquiry:

Do YOU feel the NFL is being disingenuous about it's concern for player safety when they expect a team to play on Sunday afternoon and then again on Thursday night ??

Beginning this season the NFL started airing weekly Thursday Night Football contests on the NFL Network at the start of the season - rather than near the end when playoff positioning and berths were on the line !!

The only real benefit was the fact that each and every NFL team would have the chance to play in the Thursday night spotlight !!

Our Colts played a 1 PM game on Sunday that was VERY physical - and - now must prepare - then - travel to Jacksonville for a Thursday night contest !! That leads me to today's inquiry:

Do YOU feel the NFL is being disingenuous about it's concern for player safety when they expect a team to play on Sunday afternoon and then again on Thursday night ??

:ranton:

In a word? Yes.

In two words? Heck, yes. And 'heck' is not what I wanted to write.

It's a money grab. I ***HATE*** all Thursday night games. They should be banned except for Thanksgiving games. (Honestly, I'd be fine if those were done away with too)

The players HATE them, and so do the coaches. They're terrible. And bad for the fans too because you're seeing a lousy game. The players aren't even close to being ready to play. It's a survival game. You just hope to get through it with as few injuries as possible.

Someday, the players are going to sue the NFL for not doing enough to protect the players when the NFL knew that what was happening was dangerous for the players. In addition, the NFL tried to cover that up. And when the suit reaches court, the Thursday night games are going to be among the first examples of the owners not caring about player safety.

The games are terrible for players. They're an abomination. They should be done away with. But they won't. The owners make too much money.

OK.... I'm done.

Sorry to get on my soapbox..... :rantoff:

Here's how I see it. Yes, the NFL is being disingenuous by holding Thursday night games as far as player safety is concerned. I also think that the league is in a position to grab a Thursday night spot when nothing else is on TV. This creates a lot of revenue for the NFL, and it puts man teams on national TV when they otherwise may not be. We have to remember that the NFL is a business, and the main reason to have a business is to create revenue.

At the same time, we all know that the NFL is conducting all sorts of research on ways to make the players safer by changing and enforcing rules, and especially at looking at new types of equipment-- new shock absorbant helmets in aprticular.

Based on the actions of the NFL, they are not saying that player safety is their primary concern. Instead, their actions would lead you to think that they are concerned with growing their business, while looking at ways to keep players safe, but not at the expense of greater revenues. Player safety and revenue generation do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Who said there must be 6 days off after every game.....??

No..........I think players are disingenuous to complain about playing on 3 days rest (its been done at Thanksgiving for 40 years) when they

cry about suspensions for helmet to helmet hits that cause brain damage and later suicide..... Players complain. That's what they do.

It does not risk injury to play Sunday and then Thursday night any more than it does to play Monday night and then Sunday afternoon