Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would our record be had we had pagano?

jbaron04

I didn't want to have to say it but it was on my mine during games pagano is a conservative defensive coach Arians is an aggressive offensive minded coach going for it on 4th an short an converting throwing on 3rd and long an converting if pagano was here would he run on 3rd an 14 an punt on 4th an inches some of them aggressive calls won us games and pagano conservative style almost cost us against the vikes ?

Really hard to say because I really think this team is being driven by the Chuckstrong thing. If we have him you clearly take that away and they might be producing as good of results. That doesn't really have anything to do with the coaching though. It's just the beauty of sports sometimes you get teams that buy into things like the Chuckstrong thing and play really well.

Also worth mentioning Pagano doesn't call the offensive plays Arians does and he's calling them now so I don't think the play calling has really changed that much if at all.

Really hard to say because I really think this team is being driven by the Chuckstrong thing. If we have him you clearly take that away and they might be producing as good of results. That doesn't really have anything to do with the coaching though. It's just the beauty of sports sometimes you get teams that buy into things like the Chuckstrong thing and play really well.

Also worth mentioning Pagano doesn't call the offensive plays Arians does and he's calling them now so I don't think the play calling has really changed that much if at all.

But pagano could temper him

I recall reading that Pagano was wanting to be less conservative earlier in the year, but didn't feel the team was ready to open up the play book. Who's to say its Arians being more aggressive vs. the team finally developing enough to take the training wheels off?

No let's stop trying to blame Pagano for something he didn't do. That's just trying to out think the room. Arains calls the play on offense and is calling the plays now. The fact they were more conservative earlier in the season comes down to the following things:

Rookie QB earlier in the year.

Five other rookies on offense.

They weren't executing very well in the second half. If you've noticed when they have had a lead in every game they have tried to run the ball because that's what teams do when they are ahead in the NFL. The difference is lately the ground game has been much effective largely because the line blocking has been better for them.

Yes they protected Luck a little bit early but you have to. He's not Peyton Manning with 13 years of NFL experience. He's still a rookie QB who is going to be prone to making mistakes. We saw that in the Browns game when they let him throw and guess what he turned the ball over at midfield because he didn't get ride of it. How would have everyone reacted if the let throw in the Vikings game on the goal-line and he gets picked for a touch down. Everyone would be screaming that we should have been running the ball and what on earth were doing letting a rookie QB throw in that situation with the lead!

This is Arians who is calling the plays and yes he called it conservative in the second half against the Vikings probably because he didn't think the offense was ready to be aggressive in that situation yet and I have a feeling he was probably right at the time. I really doubt Pagano is micro managing Arians in those situations. If he was then he wouldn't have an OC he'd call it himself. Since Pagano isn't an offensive coach I am willing to bet he trusted his OC after all that's why he's here.

Listen, Pagano is learning every game even in the hospital or at home or at the stadium. He is learning what works with this team and what doesn't work with this team. I'm sure he is learning through Ariens and Ariens is learning "on the fly". It's not like Pagano can teach Ariens anything about being a head coach. I think this is all happening on pure heart and drive and ability to keep forging ahead for Coach Pagano. I really do.

greg

I didn't want to have to say it but it was on my mine during games pagano is a conservative defensive coach Arians is an aggressive offensive minded coach going for it on 4th an short an converting throwing on 3rd and long an converting if pagano was here would he run on 3rd an 14 an punt on 4th an inches some of them aggressive calls won us games and pagano conservative style almost cost us against the vikes ?

Through 8 games with Pagano has HC the Colts would be 16-0.

I hate What If threads. They are rediculous by their very nature. If Pagano had been here the entire dynamic of the team would be different so outcomes would also be different. We should just all enjoy the ride we are on. This is still Pagano's team - he laid the groundwork with these young men and it shows in their high character.

we do have Pagano......he's got a hand in this...dont doubt that...It would shock me if he's on the phone to the press box

Probably the same. Arians was always the offensive guy.

IMO the fact that the Colts were 1-2 with him and 4-1 since is more a product of the team being young at many positions and not having much experience playing together, and gradually meshing as the season goes on (though Pagano's situation certainly serves as a catalyst to accelerate that process), than any actual change in the approach the coaching staff has taken in that period of time (excepting those changes that come from more experienced players and would have happened anyway with or without Pagano, such as more no-huddle).

What would our record be if we had Pagano?? The same as it is right now! 5-3.

We're 4-1 since Pagano left. Our one loss was to the NY Jets (35-9) right after our emotional win vs. Green Bay. You think Pagano would have made a difference in that game? I don't. Not that much of a difference.

And since we've won every other game, what other change could there be?

5-3. That's what we'd be if we had Pagano right now.

If I may, don't take your eyes off the prize. Tonight. We play tonight. On an ultra-short week where we have to travel as well. The Jags may not be very good, but this will be a very difficult game tonight. Our top-2 corners are out. We've got 3,4,5 trying to fill in. This is not going to be easy.

Big game. Big opportunity. This is a chance to make it 4 wins in a row. Chances like that are incredibly rare in the NFL.

That's the prize! Stay focused on that, and everyone else is pales in comparison! :thmup: