Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Your Final 53 Here

GoColts8818

BmoreColt is back just like Peyton babyyyy! How come I can't start a new topic?? It's only allowing me to have three replies a day? The old forum was not like that. Anyway since we are talking about final roster spots, I wanted to start a thread on Lance Briggs. He requested to be traded from the Chicago Bears today, who play in a similar Tampa 2 scheme. I like that the FO was aggressive this offseason with acquiring free agents who could fit our system or be "role players" and the D line has a solid rotation this year IMO, but I still have watched game after game where the linebackers were weak, couldn't shed tackles, or were blocked off by tight ends and running backs, I personally would like to see Briggs traded for, what a compliment and physical presence he would bring at OLB not to mention being a mentor. So by getting him we would start Briggs, Brackett, Simms, and under each player we would have up and coming quality replacements to mentor off these three. For Briggs (Conner), for Brackett (Angerer), and for Simms (Wheeler, Moten). The window on the Colts is closing. this would help now and after Manning. Maybe inquire about a trade giving the Bears a third or fourth rounder and Jerry Hughes, even a second rounder! Briggs is well worth it! This is also just me thinking out loud and wishful thinking of course, but I see the LB as weak in the pre-season and this move would make sense, especially if Polian could work his magic in the cap! Thoughts?

BmoreColt is back just like Peyton babyyyy! How come I can't start a new topic?? It's only allowing me to have three replies a day? The old forum was not like that. Anyway since we are talking about final roster spots, I wanted to start a thread on Lance Briggs. He requested to be traded from the Chicago Bears today, who play in a similar Tampa 2 scheme. I like that the FO was aggressive this offseason with acquiring free agents who could fit our system or be "role players" and the D line has a solid rotation this year IMO, but I still have watched game after game where the linebackers were weak, couldn't shed tackles, or were blocked off by tight ends and running backs, I personally would like to see Briggs traded for, what a compliment and physical presence he would bring at OLB not to mention being a mentor. So by getting him we would start Briggs, Brackett, Simms, and under each player we would have up and coming quality replacements to mentor off these three. For Briggs (Conner), for Brackett (Angerer), and for Simms (Wheeler, Moten). The window on the Colts is closing. this would help now and after Manning. Maybe inquire about a trade giving the Bears a third or fourth rounder and Jerry Hughes, even a second rounder! Briggs is well worth it! This is also just me thinking out loud and wishful thinking of course, but I see the LB as weak in the pre-season and this move would make sense, especially if Polian could work his magic in the cap! Thoughts?

You have to get to 20 posts...it's helping to cut down on some of the trolling.

Well, I was wondering how long it would take before we started seeing these posts here. There is a real simple answer to this: We can't afford him!

True, he has played OK in other games, but I don't think they are going to keep Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Anderson, Brayton, and Chick. Somebody probably has to go out of the group and its going to come down to Chick and Brayton IMO.

Could be, but I think that is the type of D Coyer wants. He wants his big package (Brayton, Mookie, Moala, Anderson), I think he wants his pass rush package (Freeney, Harris, Nevis, Mathis) and then the back-ups (Hughes, Chick, (I think Gill but I could also see Foster or Mathews) Foster and Gill can play all 4 positions along the Dline (and did during the preseason) and Mathews can back up either DT spot.

Could be, but I think that is the type of D Coyer wants. He wants his big package (Brayton, Mookie, Moala, Anderson), I think he wants his pass rush package (Freeney, Harris, Nevis, Mathis) and then the back-ups (Hughes, Chick, (I think Gill but I could also see Foster or Mathews) Foster and Gill can play all 4 positions along the Dline (and did during the preseason) and Mathews can back up either DT spot.

That would be fine with me, and I hope they keep Brayton and Anderson. Suppossedly Matthews is getting cut.

The "Star" consensus (Chappell, Kravitz and Phil B's predictions blended together)

QB: Manning, Collins, Painter (3)

RB: Addai, Brown, Carter, James (4)

WR: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez (5-6) K and C also have Gilreath, K and P also have Smith

TE: Clark, Eldridge, Tamme (3)

OL: Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday, Diem, Linkenbach, Ijalana, McClendon, Pollack, DeVan (9)

DE: Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Anderson (4)

DT: Moala, Johnson, Nevis, Harris, Foster (5-6) C also has Matthews

LB: Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Sims, Wheeler (6-7) C & P also have Triplett, K & P also have Moten

CB: Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Thomas, Rucker (5)

S: Bethea, Bullitt, Afalava, Lefeged, Caldwell (5)

LS: Snow (1)

K: Vinatieri (1)

P: McAfee (1)

So that's 50 players they are all in agreement on, with minor differences at WR, DT & LB.

Personally I have no problems with the "core 50" other than I'd much prefer Evans to James, and was intrigued by Brayton in the "run D" shown against GB. The last three seem like a coin flip to me, although I think that Smith is more useful than Gilreath. Kravitz having both Smith AND Gilreath (with White on PUP of course) seems a bit odd.

It would be hard to drop Matthews, but with multiple Dlinemen able to play multiple positions perhaps extra depth at LB (also vital to special teams) would be a smart move (Phil B!)

The "Star" consensus (Chappell, Kravitz and Phil B's predictions blended together)

RB: Addai, Brown, Carter, James (4)

WR: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzalez (5-6) K and C also have Gilreath, K and P also have Smith

OL: Castonzo, Reitz, Saturday, Diem, Linkenbach, Ijalana, McClendon, Pollack, DeVan (9)

DE: Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, Anderson (4)

DT: Moala, Johnson, Nevis, Harris, Foster (5-6) C also has Matthews

LB: Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Sims, Wheeler (6-7) C & P also have Triplett, K & P also have Moten

CB: Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Thomas, Rucker (5)

S: Bethea, Bullitt, Afalava, Lefeged, Caldwell (5)

LS: Snow (1)

K: Vinatieri (1)

P: McAfee (1)

So that's 50 players they are all in agreement on, with minor differences at WR, DT & LB.

Personally I have no problems with the "core 50" other than I'd much prefer Evans to James, and was intrigued by Brayton in the "run D" shown against GB. The last three seem like a coin flip to me, although I think that Smith is more useful than Gilreath. Kravitz having both Smith AND Gilreath (with White on PUP of course) seems a bit odd.

It would be hard to drop Matthews, but with multiple Dlinemen able to play multiple positions perhaps extra depth at LB (also vital to special teams) would be a smart move (Phil B!)

Personally, I see absolutely no reason to carry 5 S's. Think that is a total waste of a roster spot.

:facepalm:

:no:

:topic:

Here is what we ended last season as in regards to positions

QB-2

RB-5

WR-4

TE-4

OL-10

DL-9

LB-7

DB-4

S-5

ST-3

note we had 19 IRs

Do we ever hold that many RB? i dont think we do.

DL - I seem to remember that we keep a good amount of DL all the time. I think we keep three of the four (Brayton, Anderson, Chick , and Hughes)

i hope 21 makes it, i home rucker, evans, spann makes it, i hope smith makes and for 83 as well,

i really hope gonzo is borderline, i know he is our clutch 3rd down man, but if its going to cost us evans, or spann, i dont know, if spann can be stashed on practice squad than i dont mind gonzo

Since Evans and Spann are half backs Gonzo wont effect their roster spots. James and Brown will. Gonzo, Brooks, Smith, and Gilreath are all fighting for WR spots although I think Gilreath's punt return skills removed himself from that list and put him on the roster.

ah thanks bro

so between gonzo, white,83, gilreath and smith

they are fighting for a spot

since wayne, collie, garcon have 3 out of 5 ?

I had us keeping 6 WRs but last year we only kept four. There is also the Blair White X factor. If he stays on PUP that might open up a spot but if he comes back he will probably take a spot. It's a guessing game at this point. I'd say Wayne, Garcon, and Collie are locks cleary but beyond that we are all guessing in terms of number of spots and who stays and who goes. I think Gilreath gets kept more as a returner than a WR but I could be wrong.

RB: Addai, Carter, James, Evans (4)

WR: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, FA, Smith (5)

LT: Castonzo, Likenbach (2)

LG: Reitz, McClendon (2)

C: Saturday, Richard (2)

RG: Pollak, DeVan (2)

RT: Diem, Ijalana (2)

25 players

LE: Mathis, Brayton (2)

RE: Freeney, Anderson, Hughes (3)

DT: Johnson, Moala, Nevis, Foster (4)

LB: Angerer, Brackett, Conner, Sims, Wheeler, Triplett (6)

CB: Powers, Lacey, Thomas, Tyron, Rucker, King (6)

S: Bullit, Bethea, Afalava, Caldwell (4)

25 players

LS: Snow

K: Vinateri

P: McAfee