Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Vontae Davis is out briefly, do we anticipate a switch to more zone concepts?

chad72

What do you guys think our secondary schemes would be moving forward with Vontae Davis out for a brief period of time?

Do we have confidence that Cassius Vaughn would be able to hold up in man coverage? Or do we go zone heavy, forcing teams to dink and dunk with 2 safeties helping deep most of the time, especially against passing teams like the Packers? Of course, the cushions will be minimal. :)

Thoughts???

Even if davis was playing, I expected us to play more zone this game.

If Freeney plays, it would be a huge boost not to have to rush more than 4 for the most part. Otherwise, we will have to manufacture pass rush with blitzing.

Who said anything about Cover 2? Do you think Cover 2 is the only zone coverage that exists?

True dat. It was a matter of time before someone mentioned that "dreaded" word. In certain situations, no doubt, Cover 2 has its place.

But you can play man under, 2 safeties deep and zone in the middle, something that teams did a lot out of nickel or dime against Rodgers.

Man under is 2 outside WRs played in man coverage, 2 safeties deep as a last line of D for the 2 outside CBs, and the nickel CB and/or dime CB with the LBs playing zone coverage in the middle. If we play it right, it can work vs Rodgers with the right pressure. Rodgers took a lot of coverage sacks vs the Seahawks and his mental clock has not been quite as quick as it was last year, IMO.

Saints game - the Saints had no pass rush and I am certain that if Freeney plays, our pass rush will be infinitely better than that of the Saints.

This game especially, I would be glad to give up checkdowns to an RB like Cedric Benson, and gang tackle him easily. He is not going anywhere compared to a speedier Sproles or Spiller. If there is someone I keep in front, it would be Cedric Benson in the passing game.

True dat. It was a matter of time before someone mentioned that "dreaded" word. In certain situations, no doubt, Cover 2 has its place.

But you can play man under, 2 safeties deep and zone in the middle, something that teams did a lot out of nickel or dime against Rodgers.

Man under is 2 outside WRs played in man coverage, 2 safeties deep as a last line of D for the 2 outside CBs, and the nickel CB and/or dime CB with the LBs playing zone coverage in the middle. If we play it right, it can work vs Rodgers with the right pressure. Rodgers took a lot of coverage sacks vs the Seahawks and his mental clock has not been quite as quick as it was last year, IMO.

Saints game - the Saints had no pass rush and I am certain that if Freeney plays, our pass rush will be infinitely better than that of the Saints.

This game especially, I would be glad to give up checkdowns to an RB like Cedric Benson, and gang tackle him easily. He is not going anywhere compared to a speedier Sproles or Spiller. If there is someone I keep in front, it would be Cedric Benson in the passing game.

There are hundreds of ways to play zone coverage. You can even -- wait for it -- combine man and zone coverage on the same play!

I'm sure we'll play a good amount of zone on Sunday. I think we've played a good amount of zone all season. I'm more interested in how we attack their protection and keep Rodgers from running on us.