Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steven Jackson

NCost12

The too old stuff is funny to me. While the guy is thirty, he's a workhorse. While we may be better served elsewhere, he is unquestionably a better back than we have right now.

Given his age, I'd say this... If he is willing to come to this team on a fair market value deal (I figure no more than 2 years, 10 mil total), and if the Colts have as much money as they're rumored to have, it'd be a good stop gap to allow us to fill other areas of need. By that, I mean WR.

We're likely to have an early #1 next, probably in the top 16. With that, I wouldn't mind seeing us take a WR if there is one worth taking. That, or someone to improve our defense (probably a solid NT or DE). HB is a position that can generally be filled by a rookie fairly easily when Luck enters his prime. So, if we add Jackson for the next 2 years, it gives us a solid presence to take the majority of carries for the next year or two while we establish other areas of offense or defense for the long term.

Basically, RB is something that we should wait on (from an early round selection perspective) until Luck is more established. Bringing in a proven vet will give him time to acclimate. And if we can get a WR to bring up to replace Wayne, I'd be for it.

All in all, I say yes if the price is fair. It allows us a short term solution while we work on solidifying other, more important, positions for the long term. So if the price is right, I say why not.

As for injury history... he's played in 10 games or more every season he's been in the league excluding this one, in which he's played in 5 of 5 games. By and large, he is a workhorse.

So you like toast?...... j/k but I do think thats what Jackson is now. It's unfortunate, because he was one of the best RB's in the league in his prime, always respected him for sticking with the Rams, but he is just as used up now as Larry Johnson was when he got to the 'Skins..... poor guy

Ppl here are acting like hes 32 or something.. I think he can still carry the rock with power.. The colts need a back like that.. Change of pace sometimes

One of the best backs to play in the last decade or so. He's absolutely a friggin beast but sadly, he wasted his career playing with the Rams. Ohhhh....what could've been.

Frankly, he is getting too old for a rebuilding team to entertain picking him up. Besides, Barry Sanders reincarnate couldn't produce behind this shoddy line of ours. I'd be far more inclined to target a few top-shelf veteran FA O-linemen.

This is how I feel. He would be an instant upgrade over any of the RBs we have on the roster. The guy has always produced even behind the lackluster OL the Rams have put out his entire career.

With the wear and tear he has suffered I would be hesitant. I rather take that money and spend on a top shelf veteran FA offensive lineman like you said. I would like us to bring in a top shelf FA OL and then use our top pick on an offensive lineman and then maybe use a third or fourth on a RB

Ppl here are acting like hes 32 or something.. I think he can still carry the rock with power.. The colts need a back like that.. Change of pace sometimes

RB's have the shortest careers of any NFL position for a reason. I LOVE Jackson.....absolutely love watching the guy play, much respect.

But targeting a RB of any caliber with worn tread is going to be an exercise in futility. That would be taking resources from other needs.

Where's this injury prone stuff coming from?

He's played all but 2 games in the past 3 seasons. Breaking 1k each time, with over 40rec per. On a team who won a total of 10 games those 3 years.

He's been my ultimate "what if" player.

If he's not demanding high $ and long years, I say absolutely bring him in.

He doesn't need to be the bell cow back he has in the past. An excellent RZ runner who can move the pile and get the crucial 3yds we always seem to need.

Where's this injury prone stuff coming from?

He's played all but 2 games in the past 3 seasons. Breaking 1k each time, with over 40rec per. On a team who won a total of 10 games those 3 years.

He's been my ultimate "what if" player.

If he's not demanding high $ and long years, I say absolutely bring him in.

He doesn't need to be the bell cow back he has in the past. An excellent RZ runner who can move the pile and get the crucial 3yds we always seem to need.

I don't think those 3 yards are an issue with the back, but having Steven Jackson on a minimal deal wouldn't be a bad thing. Assuming we improve our line play. I just don't think he's a necessity, and I think it's going to take more than a minimal deal to get him out of St. Louis.

I don't think those 3 yards are an issue with the back, but having Steven Jackson on a minimal deal wouldn't be a bad thing. Assuming we improve our line play. I just don't think he's a necessity, and I think it's going to take more than a minimal deal to get him out of St. Louis.

Depends on minimal. My toss up would be something like 2yrs $8mill (he's making $7 in 2012) obviously we have no idea if he'd want/take that but that would be something I feel we could offer without jeopardizing our finances. My personal theory would be to spend quality $ on 1 or 2 youngish quality linemen with us using the rest of the FA $ to mix and match what it is we feel we need.

I personally don't want us to use high picks on OL, (first 3rds) because I feel we are only a season away from really competing. I don't want us to have another year trying to develop them, while the rest of the team ages.

If we grab Jackson, and the said two OL, we could have two or three solid years to really build this roster, without having to spend entire drafts on one side of the ball.

Depends on minimal. My toss up would be something like 2yrs $8mill (he's making $7 in 2012) obviously we have no idea if he'd want/take that but that would be something I feel we could offer without jeopardizing our finances. My personal theory would be to spend quality $ on 1 or 2 youngish quality linemen with us using the rest of the FA $ to mix and match what it is we feel we need.

I personally don't want us to use high picks on OL, (first 3rds) because I feel we are only a season away from really competing. I don't want us to have another year trying to develop them, while the rest of the team ages.

If we grab Jackson, and the said two OL, we could have two or three solid years to really build this roster, without having to spend entire drafts on one side of the ball.

I would say even less, but on a two year deal, that kind of hit is easy to handle. But more importantly, we agree that we need to commit resources to the offensive line. Without that, even the best back isn't going to be worth that kind of money.

I also think this is highly unlikely to ever transpire. I'm pretty sure Steven Jackson stays with the Rams after this season.

RB's have the shortest careers of any NFL position for a reason. I LOVE Jackson.....absolutely love watching the guy play, much respect.

But targeting a RB of any caliber with worn tread is going to be an exercise in futility. That would be taking resources from other needs.

All im saying is if you can get the guy for a cheap price take him cause you will have nothing to lose.

All im saying is if you can get the guy for a cheap price take him cause you will have nothing to lose.

I'll agree there. I certainly wouldn't flip out if we acquired him. People keep calling him injury prone, which is silly. All RB's are injury prone IMO.