Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 member appeals panel rejects Saints bounty suspensions and overturns them

chad72

How is this NOT a bigger story?

Easy. When the NFL supplies mediocre "evidence" of there being a bounty that's how it isn't bigger news. They posted the "evidence" and you could see the loopholes in there. This isn't really a surprise. The NFL played a dangerous game here and had more to lose than the players. They didn't get to play by their rules and lost because of it. If the NFL truly had concrete evidence instead of the loophole filled jank evidence then they would've won easily. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but if the NFL had a decent idea that they were going to end up going to court about this then they should have prepared better and presented better evidence. This isn't the first nor the last time players have beat the owners/commissioner in a sport.

This is such an ugly situation and it just keeps getting uglier. I have no respect for Vilma or Fujita and I have lost a ton of respect for Brees. Their adamant denial of the bounty even after Gregg Williams admitted there was a bounty system is stupid and makes them look like clowns.

Then you should be equally disgusted with Goodell. Goodell can't get away with his rules in court, because his rules are thrown out the window. It's a shame when they can't provide good enough evidence and think that it will get by in the legal system. If they don't present evidence that's concrete and not filled with holes think about how this makes the commissioner of the NFL look. We've seen David Stern lose to the players multiple times, have seen Bud Selig lose to the players even more, but we've never seen the commissioner of the NFL lose in something like this in comparison to the NBA and MLB commissioners respectively. Goodell built the thought that he couldn't be taken down and it's his world. His authority has been challenged successfully and his iron grip just got weaker. The players knew Goodell couldn't play by his rules in the court of law and they took the opportunity and ran with it. Can't be disgusted with them when the Commissioner himself was ignorant enough to think his defense would hold up in court.

This is far from over, but the NFL right now is climbing a mount everest of a battle unless they actually supply good evidence.

I'm getting the feeling the appeals committee let Goodell off the hook. Goodell is supposed to have the final say, evidence or not, but somehow the appeals committee over rules him?

Let me ask you this, whats more embarrassing? Having the appeals committee over rule Goodell and it's left at that or have Goodell do a press conference conference, in which he publicly declines to show evidence "because he cant disclose his sources."

I'm getting the feeling the appeals committee let Goodell off the hook. Goodell is supposed to have the final say, evidence or not, but somehow the appeals committee over rules him?

Let me ask you this, whats more embarrassing? Having the appeals committee over rule Goodell and it's left at that or have Goodell do a press conference conference, in which he publicly declines to show evidence "because he cant disclose his sources."

He can only have final say when the ball is in his court. Players were smart by taking it out of his court. If they knew they couldn't win by his rules they took it to a place where they had a chance. Neutral arbitrators are never a leagues friend. Just ask the NBA and MLB. Also it's easily more embarrassing to do that press conference. The ruling really isn't a huge shocker to me, but to that press conference is bad haha

In my opinion the way the suspensions were announced it is a little ambiguous whether it was to be "conduct detrimental to the league", or to be treated as a circumvention of the salary cap. Two different issues, with tho different powers to be to address each issues.

What this appeal has done is sent it back to Goodell to be specific, so next week you will see the same suspensions(time frame), worded a little more carefully, so Vilma and Brees out beating their chest for victory will be all for naught.

"Vilma 1, Goodell 0.

Or as Vilma tweeted: “Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin”

Um, if my memory serves me correctly Mr. Vilma, your Saints organization gave Roger Goodell this absolute authority through the newly signed CBA did it not? What victory are you referring to exactly sir? More like a self inflicted wound would be more accurate IMO. Didn't you ever read about Grendel and Beowulf? Perhaps, you should have...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16328/16328-h/16328-h.htm

"Vilma 1, Goodell 0.

Or as Vilma tweeted: “Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin”

Um, if my memory serves me correctly Mr. Vilma, your Saints organization gave Roger Goodell this absolute authority through the newly signed CBA did it not? What victory are you referring to exactly sir? More like a self inflicted wound would be more accurate IMO. Didn't you ever read about Grendel and Beowulf? Perhaps, you should have...

http://www.gutenberg...8-h/16328-h.htm

Vilma likely thinks a Grendel is some form of Tablet and that Beowulf is a new character on True Blood.

He's too dumb to know he's only going to be suspended again.

He was overruled because they felt his suspensions were imposed for reasons he does not have true authority over. However, he still has full authority over conduct detrimental to the league; iron clad. Future suspensions, will be from that direction. This statement from yesterday afternoon hints suspensions aren't off the table... yet...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/07/leagues-internal-memo-suggests-that-suspensions-will-be-re-issued/