Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

all teams cap space as of today

Mameluc

Ok, that's a lot of responses, so I'll address each of the replies, but I don't know who wrote it...

How do you know he would be an upgrade over our guys? He was cut by the Pats! I don't think BB would cut a player that has been consistently solid over the last 8 years. No, clearly he's not the same Dan Koppen, which is why it'b a waste signing him.

Also, like you said: He's somehwhat injured!! Who signs an injured player?!?

Ok, to the guy who said that he was ranked 25th and stuff... Satele is known as one of the best run blocking centers in the league. LOok at him in Oakland, helping anchor a line that paved way for a top 3 rushing attack. The same in Miami, he helped pave the way for a great rushing attack in Miami with Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams for one season. I don't give a crap if the ranking says he's 25th, because ranking or not, he's one of the best run blocking centers in the league. He was considered by many (experts, analysts and this forum) to be a great signing and I agree. You don't sign someone only to replace them a couple of months later.

Now, another guy said let's make him guard. I guess you want him to replace McGlynn. Could he better than McGlynn? Yes. Could he be much worse? Yes. McGlynn has experience (college and pro) at guard. Koppen has never played it. It's not the easiest switch. A lot of young kids do it, because they are young and can easily do it (mostly b/c of their athleticism). Koppen is a 33 year old player who's had plenty of injuries, has lost his athleticism and has only played center. It wouldn't be as easy as you think.

Also, don't judge our O-line based on their preseason performance. For example, Andrew Luck looks like the real deal, but you can't say that he is because he's only thrown 66 passes. He still has a long way to go in his career. The same goes for the line. They've looked up and down this preseason. It's tough to judge them based on 4 games, or 1 game worth of plays. Also, it's funny you bring up Mike McGlynn. McGlynn played probably 25 snaps. I could be off on that, but he played one game (really 1.5 quarters). How can you predict how he'll do based on that. At least give him a couple of weeks in the regular season before pushing him aside and wanting a risky veteran like Koppen.

That was a bit all over the place, but I think I answered it all. Bottomline: Don't sign Dan Koppen.

I agree with almost everything you said except how much McGlynn played. He got injured on the second series in the 1st preseason game. He's played less than 10 snaps, which is exactly why I said people are not even giving the guy a fair shot.

lol im not expecting to just go berserk and get whatever guy we can get because we have money, but I think RG is a place where we need to get better at. and Koppen is available.

besides you are not using 10 million on Koppen...you are using around 2.5 millions.

besides this topic wasnt about free agents lol, it was more about what exactly our cap space is since i dont htink anyone really knew

Koppen is a center and ONLY a center....

Actually I am more worried about LT lol.. but Koppen was cut I believe because he was not versatile, and was coming off injury and be frank was out played by 2 other Centers who can also play other O line positions.

Yeah, I don't care about YOUR line, Pats fan. ;) I'm talking about the Colts trying to add a guard, particularly a right guard.

Mcglyn was a center and only a center with the eagles untill Bengals used him as RG

but you probably know more of him than i do, after all he was with your team for like 8 seasons

TRUST me if he could be moved BB would have done it. Again he was outplayed badly by 2 other O lineman.

No we haven't started game 1, but Freeney's contract for cap purposes is included at this point.

Using that train of thought his 19 million cap hit would absorb the quoted 10 million space... That is simply not the case...

He's included he's at the top of the list...

The figure quoted includes:

It remains based on the top 51 cap numbers for all players under contract.

He is under contract!

If you were doing a study to see if larger font makes somebody understand what you're trying to say, then I think you can put a check in the yes column. I didn't see anymore questions about Freeney's contract being included in that figure.

Agree totally. Give Jake Scott a 2 yr. deal and ask him to play for us, that should solve our RG woes for the immediate future. :)

I still want to know why he is still available. Is he asking for way too much money? Is there an injury we obviously don't know about? Is he being way over-rated by Colts fans? There has to be some underlying reason why this guy is at home sitting on the couch that we, as fans do not know about. If he is so good and would be a definite upgrade, then why isn't Grigson, or any other team (for that matter) getting this guy's agent on the horn? Inquiring minds want to know.

yea how did that happen? never really understood how that cap punishment happened/worked

In a nutshell, the Redskins and Cowboys each used the uncapped year to dump some bad salary. The Cowboys gave Miles Austin a new contract that contained a MASSIVE first year payout (~$17m) but no actual signing bonus (therefore no money to be prorated in future years) and the Redskins effectively paid HUGE sums of money to Haynesworth(less) and Hall in 2010 to dramatically accelerate their cap hit. Because it was an uncapped year there weren't any rules in place to prevent this whatsoever... or, at least, there weren't supposed to be because any such rules would constitute collusion by the owners and would jeopardize the NFL's antitrust exemption. The NFL also had to approve the contracts in the first place, so clearly they were okay with them at the time.

Fast forward two years and the NFL competition committee suddenly decides that these actions should be punished, which is both difficult to explain and mighty suspicious. Essentially, the competition committee (of which John Mara was both a member and mouthpiece during this whole controversy) realized that the Skins and the Cowboys would both actually have cap space for the first time ever and that this was unfair to other teams (*cough* the Giants *cough*), despite the fact that there were numerous other teams who used the uncapped year to their advantage in a variety of ways as well. Many teams front-loaded their contracts that year (see the Bears signing of Peppers as an example) and the Bucs actually went below the spending floor which helped them splurge this offseason. Those teams weren't punished whatsoever.

So the Redskins get hit with a $36m penalty and the Cowboys with a $10m penalty and each are allowed to spread it out over two years. The NFLPA should have taken major exception to this as it does very strongly point to collusion (which would be fantastic ammo to use in court) and a cap penalty generally hurts the players as much as the teams, but there are two reasons why they did not:

1. Goodell struck a backroom deal with them to okay the penalty provided that the total ~$46m was redistributed to other teams.

2. NFLPA leadership is incompetent. They could have taken advantage of this situation in BIG way and seemingly failed to realize that redistributing cap from two of the league's biggest spenders to every team would likely result in less money reaching the players (courtesy of certain notoriously cheap teams not having any intention of using the extra cap).

That's basically the long and the short of it. Obviously I'm a somewhat biased source of information... but there was shockingly little reasoning behind any of this on the NFL's part and not a lot of people anywhere who thought the penalty was truly deserved at the time (even if the collective hate of Dallas/Jones and DC/Snyder made this enjoyable for some).

I still want to know why he is still available. Is he asking for way too much money? Is there an injury we obviously don't know about? Is he being way over-rated by Colts fans? There has to be some underlying reason why this guy is at home sitting on the couch that we, as fans do not know about. If he is so good and would be a definite upgrade, then why isn't Grigson, or any other team (for that matter) getting this guy's agent on the horn? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have the same questions. Someone else mentioned that he was waiting for a decent offer, and I'd assume he's not looking to get record money. But the money is the reason he went to the Titans in the first place. Polian says they gave him the same thing we offered him. So he and his agent have been known to be sticklers.

He's never missed a game due to injury. He was still a highly rated player last season. I don't know what it could be.

Team-by-team cap space as of September 3

Jaguars: $28.7 million.

Chiefs: $26.6 million.

Eagles: $20.2 million.

Titans: $17.0 million.

Bengals: $15.2 million.

Buccaneers: $14.9 million.

Browns: $13.3 million.

Seahawks: $13.2 million.

Packers: $11.6 million.

Broncos: $11.1 million.

Colts: $10.1 million.

Patriots: $10.0 million.

Cardinals: $10.0 million.

Panthers: $9.2 million.

Vikings: $8.9 million.

Saints: $8.2 million.

Jets: $8.1 million.

Bills: $7.9 million.

Redskins: $7.5 million.

Bears: $6.3 million.

Raiders: $6.0 million.

Cowboys: $5.3 million.

Ravens: $5.3 million.

Steelers: $4.5 million.

Chargers: $4.1 million.

Dolphins: $4.0 million.

Rams: $4.0 million.

Giants: $3.6 million.

49ers: $3.5 million.

Falcons: $3.4 million.

Lions: $2.3 million.

Texans: $2.3 million.

I thought that the new CBA required teams to spend a minimum amount of the cap. How can some teams be that far under the cap? Or has the minimum not taken effect yet?

yea how did that happen? never really understood how that cap punishment happened/worked

Basically the Redskins and Cowboys got targeted for a couple contracts they restructured to shift the bulk of the cap hit to the uncapped year. Haynesworth restructured and would have counted $36 million against a cap that year if there was one. Miles Austin restructured his in Dallas for a $10 million hit. Basically they took bonuses scheduled to be pro-rated and made them into guaranteed salary for the uncapped year. The other 30 owners cried foul saying it was not "in the spirit of the cap". John Mara (division rival) was the guy pushing hardest for punishment and said the teams were lucky they didn't lose draft picks. The owners and commissioner decided to punish both teams (collusion charges were thrown around quite a bit). Appeals were filed but the Skins and cowboys still have to take the penalties over two seasons totaling the amount of shifted salary, hence the $18 million penalty this year and next that RGIII mentioned. That's the basics anyway.

Also forgot to mention above -- the league said that each team could take an extra $1.5 million of cap space as a result of the penalties. Not all teams have done this, but the Giants were one team that had already used this extra space and were still $700k over. Not sure if the numbers in the OP take additional amount into account or not.