Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are they who we thought they were?

Warhorse

So many questions that we all want to see answered. And even though it was a preseason game, I did not walk away empty handed in my search for answers.

Probably the biggest thing I saw when watching the game was an overall preparedness by the entire team. I have to be honest, after the first stringers left the field over the last 10 or so years, we were ineffective... no matter preseason or regular. The quality of our depth and their preparedness was consistently poor. Our #1's could beat anybody...our #2's and 3's could beat nobody. I don't know whether that was a product of drafting, scheme, coaching, execution, or all of the aforementioned.

This team is prepared to execute from top to bottom. They are making mistakes....and I am not anointing them as all world. I just see consistent execution as the players substitute. This one thing has me giddy and excited.

The offensive disparity, 430 for us and 215 for them, is always a nice thing to have. So different than last year. No serious injuries that i have heard of is nice as well. The biggest factoid I saw was that we converted 11 3rd downs over a 15 attempt run!...while allowing 5 over a 13 play run for their offense. That, folks, is like a tornado wind of fresh air. We ran the ball, and we ran it when we needed to. Harnish took over in the endzone and we ran it 2wice to get to the 20 yard line. THAT is running when you need to.

Moala got into the backfield

Freemen got into the backfield

King got into the backfield

Hughes got into the backfield

DJ Johnson got into the backfield and played an outstanding game

It takes two bus fares to get around McKinney

Brazil looks like a real gem. He looked nothing like a rookie WR.

Donald "housecall" Brown is more than capable as our #1 RB

Carter got some major height in his leap over the pile and is a load to bring down

Liked how Stanton threw a great block and also lowered his head near the endzone

Quan Cosby just keeps making plays

What I came away with:

Our QB has the potential to be something very special

We have depth at QB, we need no more suggestions everytime a QB gets cut

We have strength and depth at RB and need no more suggestions everytime a RB gets cut

Sampson S was solid and seemed in control of the calls, but the line is far from gelling

Our days of being unable to run the football may be behind us

Fleener looked nervous

That long TD by Brown is not the last we will see this season

Our CB's are not great, but they played well enough that i can exhale

Game Balls:

Andrew Luck

Donald Brown

Quan Cosby

TY Hilton

DJ Johnson

Joe Reitz

Jerry Hughes

Delone Carter

Chuck Pagano

Greg Manusky

Bruce Arians

Also saw some great play by Chirs Rucker, Latarrius Thomas,TY Hilton, and Dominique Jones.

Well said and yes it seems every one was prepared..especially our back up Qbs... wonder if this has something to do with actually having them all take reps in practice. i hope we keep all three or them on the roster. My other thought has been about the Wr group i like all of our talent at the position and this will probably be the first year i will dread seeing cut day. Gotta love Grigs eye on spotting talent.

Just a preseason game but YESSS.. The preparedness and the execution (very few mistakes) were outstanding for the preseason opener.

TACKLING was stellar. Something that was by far the biggest weakness for the last 5 or 6 years.

Special teams look better also. I think TY and Cosby (if he makes it, and he is looking good) will give this team good starting field position for change.

Team speed has been greatly upgraded.

This O will be good enough, and maybe even by year end very good. The D will determine just how many wins this team gets. If they can keep Indy in games the Colts may just be a pretty good team.

OL and interion DL will need to stay healthy and keep getting better. It would be nice if Chapman can contribute this season.

Just the preseason opener .... but the Colts went out and beat down a bad team the way a good team should... by taking care of business. I like that, it is the sign of a well coached team.

lets hope this continues.... Pitt is a tad bit better team so we get a more realistic view of the team then.

Well said and yes it seems every one was prepared..especially our back up Qbs... wonder if this has something to do with actually having them all take reps in practice. i hope we keep all three or them on the roster. My other thought has been about the Wr group i like all of our talent at the position and this will probably be the first year i will dread seeing cut day. Gotta love Grigs eye on spotting talent.

You got that right... I don't know if Avery makes this team. I don't think he considered "safe" .. so.. He better get this tail in the game fast and do something because Cosby, Brazill, Hilton and Adams are standing out in practice. And Cosby is a better than average return guy.

Wayne, Collie, Hilton and Brazill will make this team.. who is 5th? maybe they stick with Avery and put a few on the PS?

Wonderful problem to have.

I was at the game, what a time!! I had a feeling that this team may just be better than everyone has pegged us to be.

Yes it is pre-season but this team came to play. The play calling on the offensive side of the ball was spot on, which put the players in the right spot to make the plays. The defense still has some issues, but was most definitely improved.

All in all, we have the potential to be a great team and should be exciting to watch.

With this team being made up of 50%+ new guys that have never played together and some rookies, no matter what sport they are playing a pounding like yesterday will influence their attitude for a long time. Hopefully this will create "A Band of Brothers" outlook on their future. We have all seen teams fail because of lack of unity and spirit. If this would have been a 7 to 3 win or a 9 to 7 it would not be the same as a 38-3 point landslide against a Jeff Fisher defense. Not allowing a team to get in the endzone on their first game together is remarkable. So the fuse is lit and Pittsburgh will be a tougher test but but no one on this forum could have predicted anything this encouraging to a bunch of new guys. The fans in the stadium must have been going nuts all day long. Welcome back Colts!!!

I will be honest, coming into this game I was nervous to see how the new regime was going to look. As soon as Luck dumped it off to Brown, I knew he was gone and I knew the team was going to win the game against the Rams.

It was a very good team effort going against a semi-talented Rams team. This game just makes me wish for the regular season more just to see how they do when the games matter and they don't take out the starters after halftime.

I was as enthused about the off the field performance as much as the on the field performance in this game.

1. I LOVE Pagano's enthusiasm and attitude. He told the team at halftime to go out and finish, and they did. I saw him patting players on the back as they came off the field, the assistant coaches were enthusiastic and it looked like everyone was having fun playing football. I know it's easy to have fun when you win 38-3, but I saw that upbeat attitude the entire game, and I think it's just the new attitude of the team.

2. Andrew Luck was engaging on the sidelines...talking to teammates, both offensive and defensive players. He's already showing leadership traits and is very humble.

3. This was a TEAM win....offense, defense and special teams. We can't rely on any one facet of the team to carry us...everyone needs to contribute.

4. Fans were pumped up and I have no doubt we'll sell out every game and have LOS rocking again!

So many questions that we all want to see answered. And even though it was a preseason game, I did not walk away empty handed in my search for answers.

Probably the biggest thing I saw when watching the game was an overall preparedness by the entire team. I have to be honest, after the first stringers left the field over the last 10 or so years, we were ineffective... no matter preseason or regular. The quality of our depth and their preparedness was consistently poor. Our #1's could beat anybody...our #2's and 3's could beat nobody. I don't know whether that was a product of drafting, scheme, coaching, execution, or all of the aforementioned.

This team is prepared to execute from top to bottom. They are making mistakes....and I am not anointing them as all world. I just see consistent execution as the players substitute. This one thing has me giddy and excited.

The offensive disparity, 430 for us and 215 for them, is always a nice thing to have. So different than last year. No serious injuries that i have heard of is nice as well. The biggest factoid I saw was that we converted 11 3rd downs over a 15 attempt run!...while allowing 5 over a 13 play run for their offense. That, folks, is like a tornado wind of fresh air. We ran the ball, and we ran it when we needed to. Harnish took over in the endzone and we ran it 2wice to get to the 20 yard line. THAT is running when you need to.

Moala got into the backfield

Freemen got into the backfield

King got into the backfield

Hughes got into the backfield

DJ Johnson got into the backfield and played an outstanding game

It takes two bus fares to get around McKinney

Brazil looks like a real gem. He looked nothing like a rookie WR.

Donald "housecall" Brown is more than capable as our #1 RB

Carter got some major height in his leap over the pile and is a load to bring down

Liked how Stanton threw a great block and also lowered his head near the endzone

Quan Cosby just keeps making plays

What I came away with:

Our QB has the potential to be something very special

We have depth at QB, we need no more suggestions everytime a QB gets cut

We have strength and depth at RB and need no more suggestions everytime a RB gets cut

Sampson S was solid and seemed in control of the calls, but the line is far from gelling

Our days of being unable to run the football may be behind us

Fleener looked nervous

That long TD by Brown is not the last we will see this season

Our CB's are not great, but they played well enough that i can exhale

Game Balls:

Andrew Luck

Donald Brown

Quan Cosby

TY Hilton

DJ Johnson

Joe Reitz

Jerry Hughes

Delone Carter

Chuck Pagano

Greg Manusky

Bruce Arians

Also saw some great play by Chirs Rucker, Latarrius Thomas,TY Hilton, and Dominique Jones.

I agree with most of what you said here but I'm not sold on Brown as the number one back after yesterday. yes he had the great 63 yard TD but he did not run well. I thought that Ballard ran a lot better than Brown and he also seemed to be more efficient in pass blocking than Brown. We shall see what happens over the next three preseason games but I think Ballard at some point this season will end up starting!