Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Western Michigan CB Sam Beal attempting to get into NFL Supplemental Draft

Beal has been in college for 3 years and played all three years.

He appears to be a clean kid.    And the reports say he's likely to go in the first three rounds of the supplemental draft --- a rare feat.

For me,  if his background checks out,   I'd offer a 3,  but that's only if he projects to be a scheme fit.    It looks like he's experienced playing press corner.    I don't see anything about zone, or off ball.

Here's the story from the Detroit Free Press

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2018/06/06/report-western-michigans-sam-beal-enter-supplemental-nfl-draft/678366002/

• Thanks 1

Interesting. He's the second corner to be trying to enter the supplemental draft - Adonis Alexander being the other one. Alexander has good size and physical attributes, but from what I've heard he doesn't seem to be very coachable and the coaches at Virginia Tech had kind of given up on trying to teach him. 

i have seen Alexander and IMO he can be a fit for our scheme. I have no idea about Beal, haven't watched him. 

On 6/7/2018 at 6:22 AM, stitches said:

Interesting. He's the second corner to be trying to enter the supplemental draft - Adonis Alexander being the other one. Alexander has good size and physical attributes, but from what I've heard he doesn't seem to be very coachable and the coaches at Virginia Tech had kind of given up on trying to teach him. 

i have seen Alexander and IMO he can be a fit for our scheme. I have no idea about Beal, haven't watched him. 

I'm sure any of the three (Brandon Bryant, a safety also is in I believe) would be interviewed by Brian Decker before we would commit a 2109 draft pick to select a guy-

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/17255219/green-beret-brian-decker-thinks-improve-success-rate-nfl-first-round-draft-picks

Pretty sure we cannot bring them in at all, but could possibly fly out to them ...  ??

Alexander is not only academically ineligible, has also has a marijuana charge on his record.  Decker will look at that closely. I'm sure he'll get the regular illegal substance test(s) administered as often as allowable (I call it the Josh Gordon effect) once officially (if not already) in the supplemental draft list.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:35 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

With supplemental draft guys do they get to have a pro day of sorts or meet with teams or is it just what you see is what you get?

The scouts have 'tape' on them but was likely placed in the 2019 consideration bin.  I'm sure we are now pulling out the video for re-evaluation.  Possibly could fly out to meet them?  Also depends upon Ballard's long term outlook, and how valuable his 2019 picks are at this stage.

I have a question for Beal. If Ballard hypothetically offers a 4th round pick to get him in the supplemental draft, does that mean our 4th rounder is the 3rd pick in that round? Since no games have been played yet for the 2018 season and there's no draft order for these picks, I'm assuming the order is done by last year's record and our pick has the 3rd priority where most teams would have to offer a 3rd rounder to beat us? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I have a question for Beal. If Ballard hypothetically offers a 4th round pick to get him in the supplemental draft, does that mean our 4th rounder is the 3rd pick in that round? Since no games have been played yet for the 2018 season and there's no draft order for these picks, I'm assuming the order is done by last year's record and our pick has the 3rd priority where most teams would have to offer a 3rd rounder to beat us? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

There is a lottery split into 3 tiers I believe. We would be in the lowest tier and would have very high priority. So a team that gets a better spot via the lottery can use their 4th, but a team behind us would have to use a 3rd rounder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

There is a lottery split into 3 tiers I believe. We would be in the lowest tier and would have very high priority. So a team that gets a better spot via the lottery can use their 4th, but a team behind us would have to use a 3rd rounder. 

Interesting, I always assumed they used the same draft order as the actual draft and thenit was kind of like a waiver claim but with 7 actual rounds. So the Browns get first choice to say yes or no, then it moves on to the next team etc.

17 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Thank you, I was unaware of this. At least it still somewhat benefits us.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

If you're correct, and I don't think you are, then the NFL has changed the format.

The standard practice has always been this....    you take last year's first round draft order (excluding trades) and use that as the template.    So Cleveland is going first, the Giants are going second, the COLTS are going third, the Texans are going Fourth and Denver's going fifth and so on down the line.

So Indy has the third pick in every round.    That's the way it's always been and I'm not aware they've made any changes.   I've not read or heard any mention of tiers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're correct, and I don't think you are, then the NFL has changed the format.

The standard practice has always been this....    you take last year's first round draft order (excluding trades) and use that as the template.    So Cleveland is going first, the Giants are going second, the COLTS are going third, the Texans are going Fourth and Denver's going fifth and so on down the line.

So Indy has the third pick in every round.    That's the way it's always been and I'm not aware they've made any changes.   I've not read or heard any mention of tiers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft

if you google “how does the supplemental draft work” every article talks about the 3 groups. Teams with less than 6 wins are in one group then teams with 6 or more but did not make playoffs are in another, and playoff teams are the last group. I read something talking about a lottery within each group but after more reading I think it’s more of a drawing where each team in a group has the same chance. So even if you are the last team in group 1 you still pick before the first team in group 2. After the order is determined teams will bid their pick and whoever bids the highest pick gets the player and forfeits next year’s pick in the equivalent round. 

I guess the logic is that since it’s next year’s draft pick they are forfeiting, the draft order is going to be much different than this year’s which is why they try to mix it up.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft

if you google “how does the supplemental draft work” every article talks about the 3 groups. Teams with less than 6 wins are in one group then teams with 6 or more but did not make playoffs are in another, and playoff teams are the last group. I read something talking about a lottery within each group but after more reading I think it’s more of a drawing where each team in a group has the same chance. So even if you are the last team in group 1 you still pick before the first team in group 2. After the order is determined teams will bid their pick and whoever bids the highest pick gets the player and forfeits next year’s pick in the equivalent round. 

I guess the logic is that since it’s next year’s draft pick they are forfeiting, the draft order is going to be much different than this year’s which is why they try to mix it up.

Great find.   Totally bizarre.    I've never read or heard that anywhere before today.  

Thanks for posting that...      :thmup:

Here's more details

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams with six victories or less in the previous year are put into the first tier and a lottery is held. The team with the fewest amount of wins will have its name put into the drawing 32 times, the next-worst team will have its name entered 31 times, etc.

Teams with seven or more wins that failed to make the playoffs are featured in the second tier. The team with the worst record will have its name entered 22 times, the team with the next-worst record will have its name entered 21 times, etc.  

The final tier features the teams that made it into the playoffs, and the format is exactly the same. The lottery determines where teams pick in all three tiers.

Once the lottery is concluded, the draft commences in much the same way as it does during the regular draft, with 32 picks per round and seven rounds of action. Teams will either elect to make a selection or they will pass.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's more details

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Teams with six victories or less in the previous year are put into the first tier and a lottery is held. The team with the fewest amount of wins will have its name put into the drawing 32 times, the next-worst team will have its name entered 31 times, etc.

Teams with seven or more wins that failed to make the playoffs are featured in the second tier. The team with the worst record will have its name entered 22 times, the team with the next-worst record will have its name entered 21 times, etc.  

The final tier features the teams that made it into the playoffs, and the format is exactly the same. The lottery determines where teams pick in all three tiers.

Once the lottery is concluded, the draft commences in much the same way as it does during the regular draft, with 32 picks per round and seven rounds of action. Teams will either elect to make a selection or they will pass.

My understanding was that it was more like we would inform the league that we would put a 4th round pick on a guy and if we have the highest pick or have the highest priority then we are awarded him but then we lose our 4th for next year.

There is only a person drafted in the supplimental draft like once every few years.  That is because a lot of those players are usually either not that good or have some serious red flags attached to them.  (A lot of these guys got kicked off their college team for being stupid.)

It's fairly rare to find a kid that's clean entering the supplimental draft.  I'm actually sort of curious as to why he didn't enter the regular draft.  

33 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

My understanding was that it was more like we would inform the league that we would put a 4th round pick on a guy and if we have the highest pick or have the highest priority then we are awarded him but then we lose our 4th for next year.

Yes, but what determines priority?

What if the Browns, Giants, Colts, Titans, Ravens, Bills, Jags, Steelers, and Patriots all submit a 4th round bid on a player? It doesn't go by the previous draft order, but the 'semi-lottery' gives a weighted advantage (not a certainty though) to those that had fewer wins in the prior season.

33 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is only a person drafted in the supplimental draft like once every few years.  That is because a lot of those players are usually either not that good or have some serious red flags attached to them.  (A lot of these guys got kicked off their college team for being stupid.)

It's fairly rare to find a kid that's clean entering the supplimental draft.  I'm actually sort of curious as to why he didn't enter the regular draft.  

While many are academic or character issue players that became ineligible for college ball, but too late for the NFL draft, not all were/are.  In addition,  some good/great players have come from it... if one was willing to risk it.  IE: HOF Chris Carter.  1st round picks Bobby Humphrey and Robert Moore (Pro Bowlers) .Here are some other notable supplement picks: Pro Bowlers Jamal Williams, Mike Wahle, Josh Gordon. Steve Walsh, (Cowboys QB) who split time with fellow rookie Troy Aikman),  Bernie Kosar. and Brian Boswoth.

• 1 month later...

Giants | Sam Beal out for season    Wed Jul 25, 12:21 PM

New York Giants CB Sam Beal (shoulder) is out for the season due to a shoulder injury, according to a source.

Link to story

Dag just that fast!

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Giants | Sam Beal out for season    Wed Jul 25, 12:21 PM

New York Giants CB Sam Beal (shoulder) is out for the season due to a shoulder injury, according to a source.

Link to story

Dag just that fast!

image.png

image.png

Once more, medical trumps the talent and depth stalwarts. And watch out, it is soft tissue tears season.  There will be more. Quite a few of them if history serves as a predictor.

Sam Beal did suffer a shoulder injury, one that may very well end his season.

I cannot help but feel our medical people had some type of Red Flag on him for his medical. One report says Beal’s latest injury reportedly occurred during a closed practice on Tuesday when the young cornerback got tangled with a teammate and had his shoulder “pop.” Other reports have suggested it was a re-aggravated injury suffered on Monday. Surgery is being discussed by team doctors (which definitely ends his season) and other options include  playing in a harness and undergoing treatment.  The Giants gave up a third round pick in next years draft for him too. Beal had signed a 4 year contact with $1,048,940.00 of it being guaranteed in 2018.

Supposedly, he has a history of shoulder issues and (reportedly) even possibly had some type of right shoulder surgery back in February of 2017 (according to NJ Advance Media).  It is also reported that when the Cardinals had hosted Beal for a pre-draft visit, they had him undergo a physical with the results of it being hared with every other NFL organization.

:ranton:

I can't help but have some sneaky suspicion that he was already somewhat gimpy there and was ready to tussle and fully test it, or injure it to get the medical treatment he needs, and get paid doing it. I hope not... but...        :rantoff: