Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtsBlitz’s First ever Colts mock draft!

I’m excited to present my first ever mock on the forum. I did some research and used draft profiles to describe their +’s and -‘s. So without further ado, here we go!

(Pick 36 and 49 would most likely be switched based on draft stock and how each are valued)

Here is my first 2018 NFL Draft mock for the Colts.  I’m hoping to get one more in a week or so before the draft, really excited to see what you guys think. I will try to replicate Ballard’s mentality of his ideal draft pick (BPA, good character guy, etc.). So here we go:

R1, pick 6: Bradley Chubb DE
Initially I had us taking Quenton Nelson here, but the Jets didn’t trade up for a defensive end, and there is no way the Browns take Saquon and Chubb with their QB need. With the Giants, it is possible they take Nelson, but will also most-likely take a QB. The Broncos situation allows us to draft our arguably biggest need, DE, and an automatic elite pass rusher. He sets the edge with a wide base and has the ability to disrupt play after play. His speed is top of the line in the 4-3, sprinting a 4.65 40 at the combine. Relentless and light on his feet, his high motor doesn’t stop until the whistle does, chasing down plays and the ball. 
Trading out of this spot would be a mistake, as we may gain draft capital, but miss out on Chubb (depends) and we already have 3 2nd round picks. That should be plenty of draft power points. 

R2, pick 36 (via Jets): First off, well done Chris Ballard. The FA silence had us louder than ever, running our mouths like scalded dogs. The extra pick allows us to take another pressing need, this time on the offensive side of the ball....
-Rashaad Penny RB
I like Penny. A lot. Don’t take my two cents for it though(sorry, couldn’t resist). Here’s some of his highlights. 

I’m sure most of you have seen Penny, but if you haven’t, he’s one of the best in this years draft. This may be considered a reach, but I wouldn’t chance him falling to 49. His talent would give us another back to rotate with the currents running backs in Mack and Turbin (and Christine Michael if he remains and is healthy). He led the nation with 2,248 rushing yards and scored 23 touchdowns on 289 carries, finishing fifth in the Heisman Trophy voting and garnering first-team All-American and All-Mountain West honors. His 4.46 40 puts him just .06 seconds behind Barkley. His explosiveness is evident in film, but Penny also jumped a 41 inch vertical at the combine. He runs with a short, controlled strides which allows him to change course quickly to avoid tacklers and maintain balance. When he gets the ball, he presses the line of scrimmage before cutting. As a result of this, he averaged over 2ypc when contacted at or before the los. 
Taking Penny would address another need, this time on offense. A lineman is another possible choice here, no doubt that needs to be addressed at some point. 

R2, pick 37: Rashaan Evans ILB
Rashaa, one pick part, one letter apart in the first names of our consecutive 2nd round picks. NICE though! Evans falls out of the first round and was projected to go there, but the big QB rush caused a shift on the board. This isn’t the only reason his draft slot dropped, but how convenient for us! Evans is a big school baller, straight outta Alabama. This premium athlete with the modern NFL linebacker build has the ability to diagnose plays quickly, and can scrape around the wash (linemen at the los) to make the play. He side-steps his blockers while maintaining gap responsibility. Disciplined in his reads, Evans won’t overpursue on a misdirection or counter play. His speed and block shedding skill set allow him to be an excellent blitzer as well. Given he does fall, he is a wonderful choice at 37. 

R2, pick 49 (via Jets): Courtland Sutton WR
This pick is a maybe as he can possibly go in the 1st round. Here’s a big wide receiver for Andrew Luck, standing tall at 6’3. He has long arms and over 9 inch hands. His production was limited by an inaccurate quarterback in college, but was also considered non-threatening in his routes. He ran a 4.54 40 which is pretty good at 218 lbs. He has great focus and composure in traffic, able to catch in a tight window and uses his body positioning well. He uses subtle, calculated hand-fighting that allows for sudden, late separation on jump balls. 

In his highlights, adjusting to and catching the ball looks easy to him. A good option with our late 2nd rounder. 

R3, pick 67: Austin Corbett G
The Colts take their first offensive lineman in the draft. A former OT, he needs to show he can transition to guard. He has the size, 6’4 and 305, but he needs work on his leverage since he will be fighting bigger interior guys and he may struggle to drive or displace them. He fires his hands with force and purpose in both run game and in pass protection. Initial punch is meant to send a message. He has good football IQ and plays with high awareness and good instincts. His biggest weakness is his strength, only benching 225 19 times. This may be a bit early for him, not sure of his definite draft slot. 

R4, pick 104: Holton Hill CB
The big cornerback out of Texas fits the athletic side of Ballard’s ideal corner. He is 6’3 200 pounds and ran a 4.49 40 at the combine. Ballard would probably want to get a one on one with him as he was suspended for violating team rules. Another negative Ballard may see is his struggle in ball skills. Scouts also questioned his ability to treat the next level like a job. On the physical side, he checks every box.  A willing tackler, he puts his body into runners. He also has goo block shedding ability by punching and separating. Shows ability to smother finesse receivers off the snap from press. Intelligent person and player. Has early mirror and match from backpedal in off-man. Can disguise zone. In the game against Oklahoma State, he asked to stick with James Washington all game and held him to four catches for 32 yards. If he shows he wants to be in the NFL and can be mature, Ballard may like him if he’s available. 

R5, pick 140: Cole Madison OT(RT in col)
The Colts take their 2nd offensive lineman of the draft here, a tackle from Washington State. He is 6’5 313 lbs. At his school they ran spread offense and he excelled in pass pro. He showed quick feet and good downfield mobility for his size while starting all 13 games at right tackle in 2017, earning second-team All-Pac-12 honors. He was an honorable mention all-conference pick as a 13-game starter at right tackle as a junior. He gets out of his stance quickly and is a great move blocker on the edge. He has good pace in his kick-slides, and reads and reacts to the game up front. A weakness of his is listed as “Benefits from up-tempo pace and quick passing attack.” This would be a + here as we will implement an up-tempo offense per Reich. He carries too much weight back in his heels on pass sets and allows speed-to-power rushes to roll him back into the pocket. Needs to maintain knee bend. Gets too straight legged at contact and can be bounced around. His size may help, but his arms are not the ideal length for an OT. 

R6, pick 178: Josey Jewell ILB
Jewell finished his career on a high note, being named first-team AP All-American and first-team All-Big Ten in his senior year (134 tackles, 13.5 for loss, 4.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass break-ups, one forced fumble). He is 6’1 235 pounds. He works plays quickly with his eyes, identifying things he recognizes in film such as blocking schemes. He doesn't have long limbs and loose frame. Lateral agility, change of direction and overall reactive athleticism is just average. He needs work on getting off blocks, but does flash a strong burst to the ball. 

R7, pick 221: Byron Pringle WR
The 6’1 205 pound receiver is Ballard’s final choice of 2018. The WR corps needs strengthening, Moncrief and Aiken both left and didn’t perform well consistently throughout the season. He is a deep ball threat and only getting better.  He averaged 24.1 ypc in 2017. His buildup speed surprises some corners and is good at getting off press coverage. He is physical at the top of his route allowing for an early catch window. 
Some negatives include a stutter-step happy start to his routes and can get stuck at the los. He will be 25 come his rookie year, also had trouble with the law. By far his worst stat line is 10 drops in 69 career catches. He also needs work at run blocking. 

Draft rating: 9.1/10.0  Getting Chubb and building block after block per pick is seen in this draft. It will be possible to get most of these players where we draft, the least likely being Sutton. Rashaad Penny and Rashaan Evans provide possible day 1 starters as well as Sutton would and Chubb. 

Thoughts on this haul and where they are drafted?

20 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

-Rashaad Penny RB

I like Penny. A lot. Don’t take my two cents for it though(sorry, couldn’t resist). Here’s some of his highlights. 

Good stuff and well researched.....but the above is my favourite part. :scoregood: