Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2018

NFLfan

Later today the NFL will announce the next class of Hall of Fame inductees. There is an impressive list of 15 finalists, including former Colts star RB Edgerrin James and those on the ballot for the first time -- Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, and Brian Urlacher. Other finalists include:

Other wide receivers:

Terrell Owens

Isaac Bruce

Defensive backs

Brian Dawkins,

John Lynch, 

Everson Walls

Ty Law

Offensive Linemen:

Steve Hutchinson

Alan Faneca

Joe Jacoby

Tony Boselli

Kevin Mawae

Senior candidates:

Jerry Kramer -- guard

Robert Brazil's-- LB

Contributor:

Bobby Beathard

(Wow. No Quarterbacks. :) )

Who makes it in? Why?

Ray Lewis -- no brainer

Randy Moss (but may be given the WR treatment and make him wait)

Joe Jacoby (last year on ballot)

Brian Urlacher

John Lynch

Bobby Beathard

(Maybe one of the Senior members too but I am too young to have seen either of them)

Owens should make it but these voters seem intent on keeping him waiting. I dont get it.

I would like to see Faneca get in. To play football while having a seizure disorder (epilepsy) is incredible. 

Everson Walls gave a kidney to his former teammate. That is a great person. I would like to see him make it too. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really don't know this but what is the maximum players being allowed in yearly, is it 7?

I think the most is 8, but only 5 of those 8 are the modern-era players. The other three are senior players that retired over 25 years ago and contributors (like executives, commissioners, etc.) 

Read this from  http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/selection-process-faq/  :

"In advance of the Hall of Fame Selection Meeting in February, the selectors are provided detailed biographies on each of the 18 finalists.  At the annual meeting on "Selection Saturday," each finalist is thoroughly discussed by the committee before a series of reduction votes are taken.  First, the senior candidate(s) and Contributor candidate(s) are discussed and voted on for election.  They must receive the same 80 percent affirmative vote as the Modern-Era candidates. Next, there is a vote that reduces the Modern-Era finalists list from 15 to 10.  Following that, a vote is taken to reduce the list from 10 to 5 names.  The five remaining candidates for Hall of Fame election are then voted on individually (yes or no) for membership."

Does Edge make it???

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think out of the 5 modern era players that get in I would guess - Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Joe Jacoby get in. Yeah I think TO finally gets in. Edge will probably get in next year. Jacoby should be in, he is without a doubt one of the greatest O.Lineman ever. He was part of the HOGS!

So far, I read that Moss and Urlacher made it. Lewis is surely in. Waiting to hear the rest.

Man, so many Vikings players have made it to the HoF in recent years. Yet, none of that has led them close to winning a SB. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think out of the 5 modern era players that get in I would guess - Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Joe Jacoby get in. Yeah I think TO finally gets in. Edge will probably get in next year. Jacoby should be in, he is without a doubt one of the greatest O.Lineman ever. He was part of the HOGS!

You almost got all right. Dawkins made it, not Lynch or Jacoby

Dawkins

Lewis

Moss

Owens (finally!)

Urlacher

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Moss, Carter, Randle I know of. That team should've won the SB, I would put them in my Top 5 regarding teams that didn't win it.

Randall McDaniel (first ballot HoF guard)

Chris Doleman (I think he too was on that 98 team)

If it were up to me, John Lynch & Ty Law would definitely be in. Those guys were always game changers on the field & made their presence known. I'm really biased about Lynch because he was such a great safety in Tampa & Denver & I always liked his play by play analysis as a commentator.

TO needs to get his yellow jacket now. His production on numerous teams warrants it. Stop holding him out simply because he was outspoken on the field.  Glad they finally saw the light. 

Love Brian Dawkins too. Congrats Ray Lewis. Well deserved. 

Straight Cash Homie indeed. Nice Randy! Nice. 

I can't remember what yr Brian Urlacher retired from the league. Was this his 1st yr of eligibility after the mandatory 5 yr wait? 

I like Urlacher & all & I have no problem with him getting in. I just wish they would have added Lynch & Law. 

If your an elite DB, I'm not making you wait. Law was an integral part of the Patriots Dynasty & he cost the Colts a couple of SB appearances. 

I just feel bad for deserving athletes that get so close & get passed over. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. 

I still remember Moss's rookie yr in Minnesota. Jesus, that man could go up & catch anything. Wow! And then his resurgence in 2007. A magical yr in Massachusetts man. 

Do you think Brian's bronze bust will be bald or have hair on it now? I remember steam coming of that Windy City skull many times. I opt for bald Urlacher myself. 

The worst thing about HOF snubs is this: Sometimes, players got declined because producers are worried that adding more inductees is gonna make the show run longer than 4 hours so they often cut guys off & roll them over to next yrs screening process all over again, which blows because you got screwed over for a viewers don't wanna sit over 4 hours issue. 

Also, much like the Rock N Roll HOF the best speeches are like the last 2 & by then people get tired. So, it's a time management hangup which isn't fair because it diminishes guys who speak first & not every person has a DVR to break up the show & watch it over 2 days. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Moss, Carter, Randle I know of. That team should've won the SB, I would put them in my Top 5 regarding teams that didn't win it.

The Vikings along with the Bills are the two most snakebitten teams that have had SB teams but have never won it all. That 98 team was good but between 1970-1977 the Vikings went to 4 superbowls and lost them all !

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The guys selected this year deserved it more than edge.  Great class

Oh I agree. That's what I meant by not being surprised. Edge as good as he was, ended up being against one of toughest HoF classes in recent years . Edge never made it to the Super Bowl even so that could be the thing that separated him here