Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

National Football Conference

Chrisaaron1023

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm sure a few of these teams wish they could switch conferences. 

Eagles

Saints

Rams 

Vikings

They all look like they could defeat anyone. And they'll have to kill each other come January. Lucky to be in the AFC this year lol but it's it always.

1 of them will be the Pats victim come Feb lmao 

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Tom knows how LeBron feels.. dominate the conference

I picked the Pats to Repeat from the beginning of the season, I have no reason to believe they wont. They own the Steelers, Alex Smith always chokes against them, and the Raiders are just not good enough. In the NFC, Philly is solid but Wentz has 0 Playoff experience, Dallas doesn't have the Defense, and Rams are really unproven. Vikings are intriguing but once again unproven. If any QB and Coach are proven in the NFC it is the Saints and they are rolling.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I picked the Pats to Repeat from the beginning of the season, I have no reason to believe they wont. They own the Steelers, Alex Smith always chokes against them, and the Raiders are just not good enough. In the NFC, Philly is solid but Wentz has 0 Playoff experience, Dallas doesn't have the Defense, and Rams are really unproven. Vikings are intriguing but once again unproven. If any QB and Coach are proven in the NFC it is the Saints and they are rolling.

The Rams seem to have the hardest schedule of any of the top teams in the NFC. They play the Vikes next week and the Saints in 2 weeks. They also play the Eagles and Seattle later in the year. 

We beat the Saints and we have to play the Rams and Atlanta as well as all of our our division opponents. We also play the Bengals and Panthers. The only games that I am worried about are the Rams and Lions games (which are the next two that we play). I dont see us going worse than 11-5. We should win the division. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Rams seem to have the hardest schedule of any of the top teams in the NFC. They play the Vikes next week and the Saints in 2 weeks. They also play the Eagles and Seattle later in the year. 

We beat the Saints and we have to play the Rams and Atlanta as well as all of our our division opponents. We also play the Bengals and Panthers. The only games that I am worried about are the Rams and Lions games (which are the next two that we play). I dont see us going worse than 11-5. We should win the division. 

Congrats on the win today, put up 38 on Washington on the road. The NFC is definitely up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats on the win today, put up 38 on Washington on the road. The NFC is definitely up for grabs.

Thanks. Next week's game between the Vikes and Rams should be a good one. Two teams known for their defense are scoring lots of points on offense. Let's see what happens. The game is in Minnesota.

Keenum is playing well but it sounds like Zimmer wants to play Teddy. The announcers said Zimmer told them that Teddy will play this year. I hope they don't play Teddy against the Rams.

Just now, NFLfan said:

Thanks. Next week's game between the Vikes and Rams should be a good one. Two teams known for their defense are scoring lots of points on offense. Let's see what happens. The game is in Minnesota.

Keenum is playing well but it sounds like Zimmer wants to play Teddy. The announcers said Zimmer told them that Teddy will play this year. I hope they don't play Teddy against the Rams.

Go Teddy! Yeah that should be a great game.

I would make the list even shorter. I would think it's the Eagles and Saints only right now for the NFC that has a prayers chance of having a hope of beating the Patriots.

Eagles scare me, since well........not enough to go by with their current group for the playoffs to have faith. But the Eagles are really really good, so they got that going for them.

Saints are more interesting since they have done it before as underdogs vs. our Colts in the big game.. And they also have a history of nailing 40 year old QBs *coughFavrecough*. And Brees will certainly want another ring and he does show up a lot on the big stage. If the Saints beat the Vikings in the playoffs then maybe we can say deja vu 2009 2.0.

Vikings or Rams I am very unsure of at the moment. I mean the Rams. Really? I have to digest this a bit more mentally.

Two things scare me too about Eagles/Saints vs. Pats.

1) Pats/Eagles would feel like a rematch of 2004.

2) Pats/Saints would make me think the third straight NFC South team was going to lose a Super Bowl. This might only matter though if NFC South team gets MVP.

But if the Pats play a team like the Eagles/Saints I am also sure that the stadium will have more Saints/Eagles fans since Pats fans are bored with paying big money to go to the big game.

And in the end we can still hope for another sorry slob in the AFC to make it.........since you know we all will be doing this come January. We will end up being Titans/Jags fans here or something scary like that.

If you want the Patriots to not make the Super Bowl your best bet is for them to get one of those shocking early playoff losses like they got to the Jets/Ravens years ago and then that would mean likely the Steelers waltz in. Your best candidate for that is usually a defensive team who can get to Brady in the cold who can run the ball well.....which would be say the Jaguars as a lower seed. And the thought of the Jags winning in Foxboro makes me giggle.

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

I would make the list even shorter. I would think it's the Eagles and Saints only right now for the NFC that has a prayers chance of having a hope of beating the Patriots.

Eagles scare me, since well........not enough to go by with their current group for the playoffs to have faith. But the Eagles are really really good, so they got that going for them.

Saints are more interesting since they have done it before as underdogs vs. our Colts in the big game.. And they also have a history of nailing 40 year old QBs *coughFavrecough*. And Brees will certainly want another ring and he does show up a lot on the big stage. If the Saints beat the Vikings in the playoffs then maybe we can say deja vu 2009 2.0.

Vikings or Rams I am very unsure of at the moment. I mean the Rams. Really? I have to digest this a bit more mentally.

Two things scare me too about Eagles/Saints vs. Pats.

1) Pats/Eagles would feel like a rematch of 2004.

2) Pats/Saints would make me think the third straight NFC South team was going to lose a Super Bowl. This might only matter though if NFC South team gets MVP.

But if the Pats play a team like the Eagles/Saints I am also sure that the stadium will have more Saints/Eagles fans since Pats fans are bored with paying big money to go to the big game.

And in the end we can still hope for another sorry slob in the AFC to make it.........since you know we all will be doing this come January. We will end up being Titans/Jags fans here or something scary like that.

If you want the Patriots to not make the Super Bowl your best bet is for them to get one of those shocking early playoff losses like they got to the Jets/Ravens years ago and then that would mean likely the Steelers waltz in. Your best candidate for that is usually a defensive team who can get to Brady in the cold who can run the ball well.....which would be say the Jaguars as a lower seed. And the thought of the Jags winning in Foxboro makes me giggle.

Only chance of Pats not making the SB is if Chiefs can finally step up. Can Alex Smith finally put his big boy pants on? They have the Coach, Running game, and Defense. Smith is Good but he has to be Great to take out the Pats. Pats own the Steelers! I like what I am seeing out of the Saints in the NFC. I picked them to win the NFC South at the start of the season and I am not so sure they wont win the Conference? I trust Brees more than any other QB in the NFC now that Rodgers is out.

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts fans should not say that because Peyton Manning did the same thing for years and has two Super Bowl rings.

Carson Wentz is in his second season. So was Tom Brady when he won his first Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Colts fans should not say that because Peyton Manning did the same thing for years and has two Super Bowl rings.

Carson Wentz is in his second season. So was Tom Brady when he won his first Super Bowl.

Alex Smith isn't even in the same stratosphere as Peyton Manning and Peyton has beat the Pats on the big stage numerous times like in 2006, 2013, and 2015. Alex Smith has never beat them in the Playoffs.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Alex Smith isn't even in the same stratosphere as Peyton Manning and Peyton has beat the Pats on the big stage numerous times like in 2006, 2013, and 2015. Alex Smith has never beat them in the Playoffs.

I was not comparing Alex to Peyton as QBs/  Of course they were completely different. The first time Manning beat the Patriots in the playoffs was his eighth season. That game was the money off his back but he went back to losing some games against Tom Brady in some subsequent seasons.

How many times did Smith meet Brady in the playoffs?

7 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I was not comparing Alex to Peyton as QBs/  Of course they were completely different. The first time Manning beat the Patriots in the playoffs was his eighth season. That game was the money off his back but he went back to losing some games against Tom Brady in some subsequent seasons.

How many times did Smith meet Brady in the playoffs?

Only once but he choked (0-1 vs the Pats)   and Smith has choked several times in his career in other Playoff games too. He couldn't hold a 38-10 lead over the Colts/Luck in 2013, also lost at home vs the Giants in the NFC Title Game in 2011. How about last season losing to the Steelers at home! I am just not sold on him in big games. I even want KC to win the Conference now that the Colts are out of it but I don't trust Smith and have no reason too until he breaks through. It may have took Peyton 9 years to win a SB but once he did, he won a ton of big games and 2 SB's. Smith has been in the league since 2005 and his only signature win was beating the Saints in the 2011 Divisional Round, even Luck has a signature win already with his win at Denver in the 2014 Divisional Round.

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only chance of Pats not making the SB is if Chiefs can finally step up. Can Alex Smith finally put his big boy pants on? They have the Coach, Running game, and Defense. Smith is Good but he has to be Great to take out the Pats. Pats own the Steelers! I like what I am seeing out of the Saints in the NFC. I picked them to win the NFC South at the start of the season and I am not so sure they wont win the Conference? I trust Brees more than any other QB in the NFC now that Rodgers is out.

Did you miss the season opener? You know, the one where the Patriots gave up 45 points? One of the commentators kept talking about Alex Smith having a good night then.

35 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Did you miss the season opener? You know, the one where the Patriots gave up 45 points? One of the commentators kept talking about Alex Smith having a good night then.

I am talking Playoffs more than anything. I like Alex Smith (he is Good - not Very Good or Great though) but the only big Playoff game he has ever won in 13 seasons was vs the Saints in 2011. In Luck's 3 healthy years he not only beat Smith but he won at Denver, Luck has a better Playoff resume than Smith does in 3 years, think about that for a second.

I found a good article about the NFC's dominance over the AFC this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877333/article/surging-nfc-teams-feasting-on-weaker-afc-opponents

The National Football Conference currently sits with four 5-4 teams out of the playoffs. All American Football Conference teams with winning records are in the playoffs, with the 5-4 Buffalo Bills owning the 6th seed even after back-to-back blowout losses.

If the trend continues, don't expect an AFC team to win the Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I found a good article about the NFC's dominance over the AFC this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000877333/article/surging-nfc-teams-feasting-on-weaker-afc-opponents

If the trend continues, don't expect an AFC team to win the Super Bowl.

I disagree. The AFC has been top heavy lately. The top teams in the AFC - Patriots and Chiefs, IMO, can, on a given day, match with the best from the NFC because of their QB play that will allow them to play different styles. So, let the overall record not fool you into that thinking that the AFC cannot win the SB.

Plus, 2003-2016, Patriots won 5 times, Steelers won 2 times, Colts once, Ravens once and Broncos once with the AFC winning the SB for 10 out of 14 years. Eli won twice, Brees won once and Rodgers won once. 

Unless the NFC proves it with 2 weeks to prepare and executes it, I like the AFC's top's chances just as much in the SB.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I disagree. The AFC has been top heavy lately. The top teams in the AFC - Patriots and Chiefs, IMO, can, on a given day, match with the best from the NFC because of their QB play that will allow them to play different styles. So, let the overall record not fool you into that thinking that the AFC cannot win the SB.

Plus, 2003-2016, Patriots won 5 times, Steelers won 2 times, Colts once, Ravens once and Broncos once with the AFC winning the SB for 10 out of 14 years. Eli won twice, Brees won once and Rodgers won once. 

Unless the NFC proves it with 2 weeks to prepare and executes it, I like the AFC's top's chances just as much in the SB.

You are conveniently ignoring the part that cites point differentials. I read the entire article, not just team records.

It does not matter which conference has won the Super Bowl recently.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

You are conveniently ignoring the part that cites point differentials. I read the entire article, not just team records.

It does not matter which conference has won the Super Bowl recently.

You said "if the trend continues, don't expect an AFC team to win the Super Bowl."

That is what I clearly placed in bold and disagreed with. I said the AFC is top heavy, I did not disagree with the premise of the article favoring the NFC teams. I am sure you can find other seasons with differentials favoring the NFC too where the NFC did not win the SB. Clearly, the article states at the end "And it doesn't mean the AFC champion won't be hoisting their fourth straight Lombardi Trophy when it's all said and done."

On 11/12/2017 at 8:24 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A QB that does not turn it over much in the playoffs based on history i.e. Brees (even in the vaunted Seahawks 2013 playoff run, the Saints fought till the end with the Seahawks in Seattle); a team that plays with balance like they did during their 2009 SB run; a team whose D is not generating turnovers like 2009 but is coming up with plenty of stops and playing complementary football to help out the O which is running the ball to help out the D. 

The only problem the Saints will face is the Eagles because they have to rely on the pass to beat the Eagles because of the Eagles' stout front, and we have not seen many games where Brees has had to wing it to be competitive in games and come out ahead late in the game. The 2 games vs the Vikings and Patriots earlier were before their defensive identity was established but if there is a concept the Eagles have borrowed from the Patriots, it is that there is no true No.1 WR even though there may be one on paper (Jeffery) and they will spread the ball around.

If the Saints at least get a #2 seeding, it will help them a lot in the NFC playoffs and I could pencil them into the SB, by virtue of Payton's and Brees' experience. Plus, since 2005, Belichick and the Patriots have not fared well vs teams in the playoffs when they meet a team a second time either on the road in the playoffs or in the SB (2005 Broncos, 2006 Colts, 2007 Giants, 2011 Giants, 2013 Broncos, 2015 Broncos). The 2009 Ravens and 2010 Jets losses also come to mind though they were at home.

I hope it is the Saints going against the Patriots because Wentz most likely gets MVP and the last 2 MVPs have lost in the SB, plus the familiarity with the Patriots factor for Payton and Brees.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Plus, 2003-2016, Patriots won 5 times, Steelers won 2 times, Colts once, Ravens once and Broncos once with the AFC winning the SB for 10 out of 14 years.

Need not stop there lol. 1997-1998 Broncos, 2000 Ravens, 2001 Patriots. same teams for the past 20 years.. heck before the love fest, the Patriots made it in 1996 before I even knew what football was..

17 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Need not stop there lol. 1997-1998 Broncos, 2000 Ravens, 2001 Patriots. same teams for the past 20 years.. heck before the love fest, the Patriots made it in 1996 before I even knew what football was..

There was a stretch where only the Patriots/Steelers/Colts won the AFC from 2003-2011 lmao 

2003 Pats

2004 Pats

2005 Steelers

2006 Colts

2007 Pats

2008 Steelers

2009 Colts

2010 Steelers

2011 Pats

-Ravens ended the streak in 2012

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There was a stretch where only the Patriots/Steelers/Colts won the AFC from 2003-2011 lmao 

2003 Pats

2004 Pats

2005 Steelers

2006 Colts

2007 Pats

2008 Steelers

2009 Colts

2010 Steelers

2011 Pats

-Ravens ended the streak in 2012

Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger... repeat and still going

10 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

LOL. That would make 13 out of the last 20 years, that the AFC has won it. :)  Almost 2 out of every 3 SBs are won by the AFC.

Salary cap was implemented in 1994, right, and the Cowboys team was already in place prior to that. So, the AFC has won more since the NFC could not stockpile talent in a one sided fashion like the 49ers, Giants, Redskins and Cowboys did back then.

It is like 1970s was AFC with the Steelers and Raiders and Dolphins too, 1980s up and until the salary cap was dominated by NFC with 49ers, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys leading the show. Once the salary cap came, it has been AFC more often, that is what I am seeing.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:51 AM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger... repeat and still going

The funny thing is, if the pattern has one final time it would be Big Ben making it this year and not Brady. So then it's Manning, Brady and Ben for the final last time. Or Brady makes it this year and Ben next year and whatever.......

Looks more likely to be Brady though right now but the Steelers can sometimes sneak in during an odd year or something. Since I am not sure anyone can upset NE early in the playoffs it will be tough for the Steelers unless they have the game of their lives finally against the Pats in the playoffs and I never seen this happen in the Brady era so I won't get my hopes up.

Steelers also usually handle the Chiefs. And since the Chiefs lost to the Giants and look like burnt toast blah.

Guess we really do not have a real third team in the AFC mix. If Peyton was still here and on a top team he would be the best hope.

Eagles continue to soar. Saints have a come from behind victory. Vikings beat up the Rams.

At least the NFC has more going on for a real battle. Just hope they are not all fighting for the right to lose by 3 points to the Patriots in the Super Bowl.:lol:

I am kinda shocked the Vikings are 8-2. Wow..........

On 11/13/2017 at 9:03 AM, teganslaw said:

If the Jaguars won in Foxboro, it would be a highlight of the season. 

They do have Coughlin now as part of the team. Teams with Coughlin on it have done the unthinkable vs. the Patriots before. :) 

It might be our only hope.

3 minutes ago, Jules said:

They do have Coughlin now as part of the team. Teams with Coughlin on it have done the unthinkable vs. the Patriots before.

It might be our only hope.

I don't see a connection. Tom Coughlin's job is acquiring the players Doug Marrone coaches each week. And when he won two Super Bowls against the Patriots, his QB was a member of the Manning family.

16 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I don't see a connection. Tom Coughlin's job is acquiring the players Doug Marrone coaches each week. And when he won two Super Bowls against the Patriots, his QB was a member of the Manning family.

Was just joking around........