Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dont'a Hightower Torn Peck...out for season

dgambill

39 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

Peck? Isn't that a man-boob? :omg:

Yep. Although I think his is probably more muscle than fat lol...but yeah...not fun!

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/05/will_beatty_injury_what_is_a_torn_pectoral_muscle.html

When someone tears their pec muscle, what they tear typically is the attachment of the pec muscle onto the arm bone, called the humerus. The pec muscle is made of two parts, there's a part called the sternal head, which goes to the chest bone, there's a part called the clavicular head, which goes to the clavicle or collar bone. Those two muscle groups weave together and form a tendon that attaches to the arm bone, so when you tear your pec muscle, you often can tear the tendon off of the bone. I obviously haven't examined Mr. Beatty, but if he tore the tendon off the board, then that often requires surgery to repair the tendon back to the bone, because it won't fix itself. The process of healing takes many, many months, first let the tendon heal, then get the flexibility back in the arm, and then get some strength in the muscle back after it heals, and that process often does take 5-6 months as a result.

Probably happens when reaching out and grabbing a rb as they are going by etc. Not an easy recovery.

@GoPats How do you think this will effect your recent defensive resurgence?

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep. Although I think his is probably more muscle than fat lol...but yeah...not fun!

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/05/will_beatty_injury_what_is_a_torn_pectoral_muscle.html

When someone tears their pec muscle, what they tear typically is the attachment of the pec muscle onto the arm bone, called the humerus. The pec muscle is made of two parts, there's a part called the sternal head, which goes to the chest bone, there's a part called the clavicular head, which goes to the clavicle or collar bone. Those two muscle groups weave together and form a tendon that attaches to the arm bone, so when you tear your pec muscle, you often can tear the tendon off of the bone. I obviously haven't examined Mr. Beatty, but if he tore the tendon off the board, then that often requires surgery to repair the tendon back to the bone, because it won't fix itself. The process of healing takes many, many months, first let the tendon heal, then get the flexibility back in the arm, and then get some strength in the muscle back after it heals, and that process often does take 5-6 months as a result.

Probably happens when reaching out and grabbing a rb as they are going by etc. Not an easy recovery.

@GoPats How do you think this will effect your recent defensive resurgence?

Tough loss here. Hightower has been injured a lot in his career so to some extent they're used to playing without him. But he always seems to show up at big times (ie: tackle on Lynch in the Seattle SB before Butler's INT, strip-sack of Ryan last year, etc). 

I don't know who's out there on the trade market. Maybe this means they go back to Rob Ninkovich and see if he's interested in coming out of retirement to finish out the season. Either way, the silver lining like I said is that they've been without him a lot over the years. 

17 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Tough loss here. Hightower has been injured a lot in his career so to some extent they're used to playing without him. But he always seems to show up at big times (ie: tackle on Lynch in the Seattle SB before Butler's INT, strip-sack of Ryan last year, etc). 

I don't know who's out there on the trade market. Maybe this means they go back to Rob Ninkovich and see if he's interested in coming out of retirement to finish out the season. Either way, the silver lining like I said is that they've been without him a lot over the years. 

Dont'a plays a different position than Rob did correct?? He just seemed to be the qb of that defense and got everyone up front lined up and knowing their roles. The back end I thought McCourtey did that but I'm not sure. I think the run defense will suffer some but it seemed when he got back the defense was better....time will tell. Think its a little late to make a move that would replace what he can do for them. Young guys have to step up. I had you repeating but obviously injuries is one battle that nobody wins.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Dont'a plays a different position than Rob did correct?? He just seemed to be the qb of that defense and got everyone up front lined up and knowing their roles. The back end I thought McCourtey did that but I'm not sure. I think the run defense will suffer some but it seemed when he got back the defense was better....time will tell. Think its a little late to make a move that would replace what he can do for them. Young guys have to step up. I had you repeating but obviously injuries is one battle that nobody wins.

In the past, yes. But this season they've mostly used Hightower on the edge instead of as a stand-up, off-the-line linebacker. 

One somewhat helpful thing will be getting Shea McClellan back, I think on 11/12 if he's healthy. He's not a superstar but he's another guy who knows the system and has made plays for them. 

8 minutes ago, GoPats said:

In the past, yes. But this season they've mostly used Hightower on the edge instead of as a stand-up, off-the-line linebacker. 

One somewhat helpful thing will be getting Shea McClellan back, I think on 11/12 if he's healthy. He's not a superstar but he's another guy who knows the system and has made plays for them. 

Gotcha...forgot about him. Yeah staying healthy is usually key to a SB run. Can't believe you won it without Gronk last year....definite testament to Brady and Bill's ability. We can make all the excuses we want about the Seahawks and Falcons blunders but something that makes great players GREAT is the ability to stand up and perform in the moment...and Brady did that in both 4th Quarters of those games. I still think this Hightower injury will prove very costly...he just seems to make the plays when you need them and everyone around him seems to play better when he is on the field. I do like your rookie Wise though...wish we would have got him...there was some people on this board that liked him heading into the draft. I know several that liked Rivers too so that was a tough injury you guys had too.

Tough break for Donta Hightower. I still believe they are a Top 10 D (at least in terms of points allowed) with him in the line up since he can play inside or outside, and sets the edge well when playing outside and plays the run well while inside, thus making teams gain less on run downs and progressively making other Os one dimensional as the game goes on.

The only good news from this is that the Patriots are more likely to give up even more points that my FF QB Tom Brady starts winging it again. :) 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:27 AM, chad72 said:

Tough break for Donta Hightower. I still believe they are a Top 10 D (at least in terms of points allowed) with him in the line up since he can play inside or outside, and sets the edge well when playing outside and plays the run well while inside, thus making teams gain less on run downs and progressively making other Os one dimensional as the game goes on.

The only good news from this is that the Patriots are more likely to give up even more points that my FF QB Tom Brady starts winging it again. :) 

You were right about the pts allowed. Pats came up big yesterday with some stops when they needed them. Run defense didn't look too hot and the game was really ugly with the kicking etc but a win is a win....keep racking them up and NE will be back to home field advantage in no time. I really don't see anyone in the AFC beating them in the playoffs at home....the Chiefs are starting to get banged up themselves so I think its pretty much a 3 team race between NE them and Steelers....although Buffalo always plays you guys hard.