Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft Question ?

I apologize if this topic isn't in the right area. i have a question about the draft and ive tried asking dad about it but his answer in my option just cant be accurate so ive come before you all my colts family to ask it so here goes nothing. During Day 1 of the draft. Do all 32 teams already know the exact player there going to get? or during there time of selection do they just go through there long list of candidates? Now dad says all 32 teams already have there player selected and notified by the time it gets around to there respected teams. However i just cant wrap my head around that logic. What do you all think?

Short answer: your dad is wrong.

Only the team picking #1 can truly have the decision made already prior to the draft.  Sure there can be particular players that teams have their eye on, but there's nothing they can do to prevent a team in front of them from taking said players.

6 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I apologize if this topic isn't in the right area. i have a question about the draft and ive tried asking dad about it but his answer in my option just cant be accurate so ive come before you all my colts family to ask it so here goes nothing. During Day 1 of the draft. Do all 32 teams already know the exact player there going to get? or during there time of selection do they just go through there long list of candidates? Now dad says all 32 teams already have there player selected and notified by the time it gets around to there respected teams. However i just cant wrap my head around that logic. What do you all think?

false: case in point, the year we took Dorsett instead of Brown.  Hoodie over in New England was shocked as heck and scooped Brown up

4 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Short answer: your dad is wrong.

Only the team picking #1 can truly have the decision made already prior to the draft.  Sure there can be particular players that teams have their eye on, but there's nothing they can do to prevent a team in front of them from taking said players.

lol Thanks for that. Now i have new info to tell my dad

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

false: case in point, the year we took Dorsett instead of Brown.  Hoodie over in New England was shocked as heck and scooped Brown up

Couldn't believe that one.  Passing on Brown and also passing on Whitehair when we had the chance after drafting Kelly in the first round.  We could have had two starting OL in one draft.  

22 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

No they don't know who they are going to get.  They do all their scouting and then they put together a big list of all the players in the draft based on how they as a team value them based on need and scouting.  

As the draft rolls teams generally just then draft based on their board drafting the highest available player on their board.

Now it's a little more complex as if they have their eyes really set on a player but fear another team ahead of them might draft them they may trade up in order to get that player.  And if they are not particularly attached to any player that's available where they are picking they might take offers from other teams to trade down.  

This often happens near the top of the draft where teams are jockeying to get the best available quarterbacks.  If you don't need a QB or simply don't believe in any of the QB's in the draft you can gain a lot of draft capital by just trading down.  

On 10/19/2017 at 12:54 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

Teams have a full draft board with players ranked via grade and position.  Not only do they have vertical and horizontal boards, they have another board with other teams on it.  The scouts determine what other team needs are, then draft team projects those potential players to that team.

So they 'think' they have a good idea who is going to go, and to what team likely has them on their board.  So they can anticipate a few players that might be at a slot when the team has its turn to pick. Sometimes teams surprise in their selection, too... leaving a 'can't  miss #1" prospect. Sometjimes that #1 prospect is real... others....

On 10/19/2017 at 1:09 PM, richard pallo said:

Couldn't believe that one.  Passing on Brown and also passing on Whitehair when we had the chance after drafting Kelly in the first round.  We could have had two starting OL in one draft.  

Brown hasn't been that good though.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:54 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

Teams have a list of players they wanted, called a big board. Teams don't choose ahead of time because some players may fall or get taken earlier. If the teams already have the player selected, there would be no point in trades.