Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One Veteran FA I'd like the Colts to Sign.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not dying to have him either.....    and if Ballard thinks he can steal someone on the cutdown to 75 or to 53, then great.     I'm OK with that too.      But then it's getting down to the wire and the competition for this guy or that guy might be much different than signing an OK guy now....

If my money is wrong,  OK....      but as I noted,  the odds of getting through the schedule with Davis and Wilson both playing 16 games is likely not great....     I'd like to have someone solid and not just move Donnie Butler over for a few weeks,  that would worry me greatly.     Remember how poor things were against Detroit last year in week one....  

It's probably the least proven spot on the roster, so I get your concern. I don't have a problem with a vet to fill the void, but it became obvious that Ballard intended to come away from the draft with at least one corner. And if he was willing to pony up for a vet, he had options during free agency, or he could have kept Patrick Robinson. McCourty is an okay signing if he wants to add someone. I just didn't like the number you mentioned. 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's probably the least proven spot on the roster, so I get your concern. I don't have a problem with a vet to fill the void, but it became obvious that Ballard intended to come away from the draft with at least one corner. And if he was willing to pony up for a vet, he had options during free agency, or he could have kept Patrick Robinson. McCourty is an okay signing if he wants to add someone. I just didn't like the number you mentioned. 

To be clear.....    I'm not married to the dollars or even to McCourtey....

I'm only married to the concept of protecting ourselves on the downside....   some type of veteran 3rd corner that we'd feel OK about should Davis or Wilson be unable to go for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm only married to the concept of protecting ourselves on the downside....   some type of veteran 3rd corner that we'd feel OK about should Davis or Wilson be unable to go for whatever reason.

I think Ballard is comfortable with Melvin. He's 6'2 195 has seen action in 11-13 games starting a chunk here and with the Ravens. . I thinks that was shown when Robinson hit the street  It's possible he likes Morris who has seen action here in NE and Houston. He doesn't quite fit CB's profile. I think we might be looking at Davis Wilson Melvin Morris Hairston plus one.

We could add one at cuts. Milton started at RB moved to CB. He needed a year on the PS. He could be the guy. I think we stay young no over paid aging vet by design. We could run 6 rookies out on D. Basham Stewart Walker Wilson and Hooker make 5 and that's possible. Could happen. Davis/Butler and Langford/Sheard are the vets on the back end and the front 7 respectively. I don't think we bring in a vet. 

I am interested in seeing what we do with Butler. The talk was S was his spot Hooker might change that. Ballard's putting a young hungry group of killers together. We are going to run around and hit people. I love it. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have the right idea. The Colts need a vet CB who can start at nickel CB and push Wilson for the CB2 spot (as well as provide insurance). Butler can play nickel CB, but he cannot play outside. Ideally, you sign a vet that can start at nickel CB, or at least push the competition for that position. Then, if Davis or Wilson (provided he wins the CB2 spot) get hurt, you move that vet outside and put Butler at the nickel CB spot.

I suppose Melvin could be that guy...but I like to think that Ballard is setting his sights higher.

I think Ballard is waiting to see which CBs are cap casualties. There were 32 CBs selected in the past draft (with more than half of those going in the top four rounds)...so there should be some decent vet options available after roster cuts.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:33 AM, southwest1 said:

If Jason McCourty is the best player available keep on looking NCF. My Grandpa Vern who has been deceased for 30 yrs can do that too. 

Mocking a person isn't much of a counter argument. Come on NCF. You're better than this & smarter too. It doesn't add credibility to your point of view at all. 

SW....

Sorry for the delayed response....    I wanted to take a moment to publicly apologize to you....

I wasn't trying to mock you as much as I did....    (Well,  perhaps just a teeny, tiny bit...)   But what I was trying to stress was that these are the types of decisions that GM's often have to make about players where the choices are not easy and obvious.     Where the choices are between OK and not so good.     No one is really excited about either person,  but one is not quite as bad as the other.     Sometimes that's how decisions boil down to...

My apologies again for my crappy post....    those slip out from time to time...    I'll try to do better to make sure they don't....