Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Questions NOT asked of Andrew Luck....

NewColtsFan

Recently,  in another thread,  there was a discussion about media,  and the issue of not asking the right questions came up.

So, yesterday,  I'm out and about and I stopped and watched the Luck news conference on my phone....    Now,  the surroundings weren't the best for viewing,  there were distractions,   so perhaps one or more of the following questions were asked and maybe I missed them.      But here are some of the questions I was hoping to hear and didn't....    Remember,  Luck is speaking to a microphone,  but the media isn't, so you often have to try and figure out what question was asked by the answer the player gives.

Some of these questions (most of them?)  might not get much an answer from Luck,  I know Luck doesn't like talking much,  but you at least have to ask them because you just never know and you want answers on the record.   So,  you HAVE to ask....

1.     When did you have the surgery....?

2.     Have you hit all the milestone markers in your rehab schedule...?    (Meaning,  you wanted to do this by this date,   and do that by that date...)

3.     Any setbacks, or unusual soreness to deal with.     

4.    Are you throwing at all right now?     Even 10 yards?      Is that where you're supposed to be?

5.    Do you expect to be back throwing and 100% full-go by the time the camp opens in mid-late July?

6.    You have 3 months until then,  how will your rehab program change in the next 90 days or so?

7.    If you're not ready to go on Day 1,  do you have words of optimism for Colts Nation as to be being back a short time after camp opens?     Or,  another way of putting it....   if you're not ready to go by Day 1,   is there a Date that you think it's fair for Colts Nation to be officially worried?

Again,  apologies if some of these were asked and I was unable to hear them.    But I wanted to share with you the questions that I would've wanted to ask in that interview setting....

I didn't watch it but saw a picture on FB. I would have asked what he was doing to stay in shape. Luck looked incredibly skinny. He looks like this forced rest is taking its toll on his muscle mass. Hopefully he is able to put that back on before the season starts -- especially given our OL play.

21 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I didn't watch it but saw a picture on FB. I would have asked what he was doing to stay in shape. Luck looked incredibly skinny. He looks like this forced rest is taking its toll on his muscle mass. Hopefully he is able to put that back on before the season starts -- especially given our OL play.

This is extremely important for him and to avoid re-injuring his shoulder. Less muscle mass means he's lighter and has less body torque in his throw which puts more tension on his shoulder to try to get the ball to the receiver at a good pace. As a former qb myself, I know what a lack of weight can do to your throw and how it affects everything else. Think of it like a balance triangle, where if one point of the triangle is moved in(Andrew's decreased body weight) another point will have to compensate to balance the triangle (arm or shoulder) 

7 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

Christian Bale in The Machinist looked extremely skinny.  Luck looks like he has lost some wieght from not being able to work out much.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

4.    Are you throwing at all right now?     Even 10 yards?      Is that where you're supposed to be?

I *think* he said he's not throwing yet. Maybe I inferred it from other comments.

I would have asked him what he's doing while he's limited to stay sharp and be ready to play. Someone asked whether he feels like he has to make up for missing time... I feel like a lot of the questions come from a negative perspective, looking for confirmation of a negative outlook, rather than just looking for information.

I would have asked him how much his injury affected his play on the field. They asked how it affected his ability to practice.

By the way, they had three months to think about what they'd ask him, when they got the chance. This wasn't a surprise presser.

In all, they didn't do a terrible job, and they got a lot of information out of him. But like you, there were some specifics that I wish they had focused on, instead of seemingly digging for dirt. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I *think* he said he's not throwing yet. Maybe I inferred it from other comments.

I would have asked him what he's doing while he's limited to stay sharp and be ready to play. Someone asked whether he feels like he has to make up for missing time... I feel like a lot of the questions come from a negative perspective, looking for confirmation of a negative outlook, rather than just looking for information.

I would have asked him how much his injury affected his play on the field. They asked how it affected his ability to practice.

By the way, they had three months to think about what they'd ask him, when they got the chance. This wasn't a surprise presser.

In all, they didn't do a terrible job, and they got a lot of information out of him. But like you, there were some specifics that I wish they had focused on, instead of seemingly digging for dirt. 

By coincidence,  Colts.com writer Kevin Bowen wrote an Andrew Luck "timeline" today....

So, a few of my questions were answered in reading that.      Surgery was around the  17th or 18th of January...   That's when Irsay tweeted the news....    and there was talk of three months of rest and rehab with the throwing starting after that.

Well,  doing the rough math....    we're at three months right now...   so his throwing program should start right around now....     now...    that's going to be very short pitch and catch at the start....    I wouldn't expect him to look like Andrew Luck for perhaps 6-8 more weeks....    but he, barring any setbacks,  he should be right where he needs to be when camp opens in three months....  

Here's hoping!

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

By coincidence,  Colts.com writer Kevin Bowen wrote an Andrew Luck "timeline" today....

So, a few of my questions were answered in reading that.      Surgery was around the  17th or 18th of January...   That's when Irsay tweeted the news....    and there was talk of three months of rest and rehab with the throwing starting after that.

Well,  doing the rough math....    we're at three months right now...   so his throwing program should start right around now....     now...    that's going to be very short pitch and catch at the start....    I wouldn't expect him to look like Andrew Luck for perhaps 6-8 more weeks....    but he, barring any setbacks,  he should be right where he needs to be when camp opens in three months....  

Here's hoping!

Irsay's comments at the Combine (or was it the owner's meetings?) made it seem like there's no concern about Luck being ready for camp. He said they're considering -- more like planning -- to add a 4th QB for camp, to keep Luck's reps limited. He might not be ready to practice fully at the start of camp, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on PUP. I think they're planning for him to be ready, but their backup plan is for him to to take a couple weeks getting into a groove. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out the entire preseason. For the most part, the starting offense is in place. There aren't any big time additions so far, and if the draft goes the way most of us expect, there won't be. So while it's not ideal, keeping Luck out of the preseason is definitely going to be on the table. Maybe they'll play him a little in one of the home preseason games. 

He'll have to do a lot of work on his upper body, from the looks of him. I think he'll be meticulous working on rebuilding his throwing motion.

17 hours ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out the entire preseason. For the most part, the starting offense is in place. There aren't any big time additions so far, and if the draft goes the way most of us expect, there won't be. So while it's not ideal, keeping Luck out of the preseason is definitely going to be on the table. Maybe they'll play him a little in one of the home preseason games. 

He'll have to do a lot of work on his upper body, from the looks of him. I think he'll be meticulous working on rebuilding his throwing motion.

I HOPE he sits out the entire preseason.  Just practice with that red shirt on.

Just think - over 4k yards and over 30TDs with a bum shoulder.  What's a healthy Luck with moderately improved protection going to do?