Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nfl Films Special On Mike Vanderjagt And Punter Smith On Nfl Network

chad72

It gives us a new humanized side of Mike Vanderjagt and Punter Smith.

Some excerpts included:

1. Mike Vanderjagt was saying how thankless a job a kicker's can be and that is why he does not want his son, who kicks for his school to be an NFL kicker
  2. How Dungy was very understanding of his comments that he made about him and Peyton in the 2002 offseason after the playoff 41-0 Jets drubbing; and how he and Peyton patched up after that
  3. how he is coaching a middle school team in football somewhere in Florida and enjoying it and how he can still kick 40 consecutive 40+ yard FGs without an issue at the age of 41 (they showed him kicking a 55 yarder) but could do without the pressure of the NFL. he got Dungy to come in to give him advice for his football team and give him tips on coaching
  4. Punter Smith talking about if Mike Vanderjagt was the most accurate kicker, Punter Smith was the most accurate holder :)
  5. Punter Smith singing a song about Vanderjagt, Peyton and the Colts, the Texans' David Carr being sacked all the time etc.

It was nice to watch and reminisce :).

Jeesh, Hunter was pretty good, but Mike. Besides that 2003 season, was not clutch at all. What difference does it make that he makes all the field goals in a year, but misses the game winner in the playoffs. Anyways, no NFL special can change my opinion on Vanderjerk.

Ya I just watched this which kind of made me feel bad.

One thing Vandy said was "You could make all 99 out of 100 kicks, but that 1 kick you missed is the only thing everyone will remember" and that's pretty true of how we treated him.

He also said that in hindsight his comments about Peyton & Tony weren't smart and he regrets them. He also said that Peyton's comments "Liquored up dipstick kicker" upset him because he rarely ever drank/drinks.

Also, Hunter's song was pretty good & hilarious. :lol:

Mike Vanderjagt is one of the few colts players, former or current who I just cannot stand.

You might argue it's irrational, and it might be, but the mention of his name brings up the visual of him missing the freaking net against Pittsburgh and I start cussing (I'm holding back because of board rules, but know that I've mentally dropped about 10 4 letter words just while typing this)

Mike Vanderjagt is one of the few colts players, former or current who I just cannot stand.

You might argue it's irrational, and it might be, but the mention of his name brings up the visual of him missing the freaking net against Pittsburgh and I start cussing (I'm holding back because of board rules, but know that I've mentally dropped about 10 4 letter words just while typing this)

If you don't like him personally, so be it. Doesn't change the fact that he was a terrific kicker.

The Pittsburgh game was an utter nightmare, but projecting your displeasure onto Vanderjagt for that IS irrational. There were about 70 other people who were far more responsible for the loss than him (starting with Dungy's son, and Harpers wife, and the entire offense which started the game like it was pre-season, and the entire defense that let the Steelers down the field for multiple slow motion game stealing TD drives, to the coaching staff which couldn't overcome the extra week off and the emotional turmoil of the suicide). Essentially everyone in the entire organization was responsible for that loss. Vanderjagt just happened to miss a field goal which he only had the opportunity to kick because of one of the most horrifically bad calls in post-season history - the kind that would have tainted the Colts win if they had pulled it off. A field goal kick which any given kicker is going to miss 30-35% of the time anyway. Anytime a game comes down to a long field goal it's an utter crap-shoot. Flip a freaking coin. Your anger is just as un-warranted as is the hero worship of Vinatieri - frequently voted one of "the kickers most likely to shank a 35 yarder in the first half" in the league.

If you don't like him personally, so be it. Doesn't change the fact that he was a terrific kicker..

EDIT: Actually nevermind. I like you MAC and if I continue to discuss this I'll likely end up yelling at you which I don't want to do. Lets just say there is pretty much nothing you could post that will change my mind on the subject.

We're all allowed to be a little irrational now and again.

EDIT: Actually nevermind. I like you MAC and if I continue to discuss this I'll likely end up yelling at you which I don't want to do. Lets just say there is pretty much nothing you could post that will change my mind on the subject.

We're all allowed to be a little irrational now and again.

Ah yes, aren't we all. I'm sure that my wife would agree with you wholeheartedly. :)

I appreciate the edit, you are a gentleman. Getting yelled at by your friends is not a good thing. Sorry if I pushed your buttons.

Ah yes, aren't we all. I'm sure that my wife would agree with you wholeheartedly. :)

I appreciate the edit, you are a gentleman. Getting yelled at by your friends is not a good thing. Sorry if I pushed your buttons.

Oh has nothing to do with you. Your post was fine.

Just the topic that causes me to start barking irrationally.

(For the record, I don't blame him for the entire game, just his part in it)

Oh has nothing to do with you. Your post was fine.

Just the topic that causes me to start barking irrationally.

(For the record, I don't blame him for the entire game, just his part in it)

Understood. I have a similar reaction at the mention of the 41-0 Jets playoff loss. My sister - a Jets fan - called me immediately afterwards to go "nah nah nah nah na". She had no idea how upset I was. All I could do was make some irrational gutteral noises. I've sent precautionary "do not contact me after the game" texts before each of the two recent playoff games.

Understood. I have a similar reaction at the mention of the 41-0 Jets playoff loss. My sister - a Jets fan - called me immediately afterwards to go "nah nah nah nah na". She had no idea how upset I was. All I could do was make some irrational gutteral noises. I've sent precautionary "do not contact me after the game" texts before each of the two recent playoff games.

My Aunt, Uncle, and 3 cousins are all from Pittsburgh...

To their credit they were not obnoxious. But yeah, I got to hear about it.

My Aunt, Uncle, and 3 cousins are all from Pittsburgh...

To their credit they were not obnoxious. But yeah, I got to hear about it.

Ouch.

1975, 1976, 1995, 1996, 2005 Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The shutout to the Jets was shocking painful just on it's own merits, but a lot of the misery was due to them being a division rival that I still resented because of the Super Bowl loss. Living in the NY area, probably 80% of the Colts games I'd ever watched on TV in my life were against them. It felt very personal. That doesn't change the fact that the 0-5 playoff record against the Steelers is a whole other level of pain. Every year I both hope for (and dread) getting another chance.

For all those that didn't like him and or are on the fence, he was a 'real world' jerk too..for what it's worth.... And as for him not drinking? Well......

He had frosted tips for Pete's sake. I mean are we really going to split hairs here?

I will always like Mike and he will be my favorite Colts kicker of all time. I think he gets a very bad rap. I do think it is a double standard. We have had playoff losses where Peyton has thrown multiple interceptions, James has done nothing, the offensive line has done nothing, or defense didn't show up. Even in the Pittsburg loss that everyone hits Mike for, look at the playcalling and execution. I believe after the fumble recovery at the end of the game, the Colts ran three plays without getting a single yard and then tried the field goal. The team just played very badly the entire game. I don't think one player should be thrown under a bus, because you could have blamed other players for many playoff losses.

But that was a very good show. Hunter is a good singer. I didn't realize Mike is a head coach now in youth football and does a lot of good work with kids.

I will always like Mike and he will be my favorite Colts kicker of all time. I think he gets a very bad rap. I do think it is a double standard. We have had playoff losses where Peyton has thrown multiple interceptions, James has done nothing, the offensive line has done nothing, or defense didn't show up. Even in the Pittsburg loss that everyone hits Mike for, look at the playcalling and execution. I believe after the fumble recovery at the end of the game, the Colts ran three plays without getting a single yard and then tried the field goal. The team just played very badly the entire game. I don't think one player should be thrown under a bus, because you could have blamed other players for many playoff losses.

Don't forget that Mike would never have even lined up for that kick if not for a horrendously bad call which removed an INT from Troy P, which Manning threw right at him. Such a bad call that in a rare move, the NFL head of officials apologized for the error.

Don't forget that Mike would never have even lined up for that kick if not for a horrendously bad call which removed an INT from Troy P, which Manning threw right at him. Such a bad call that in a rare move, the NFL head of officials apologized for the error.

Good point. Just odd the guy gets attacked so much because he is a kicker and talks too much. If he were a LB or a WR, they would say he has fire. I think players have bad playoffs games. It doesn't define an entire career, If that were the case, Marvin Harrison would not be considered a great WR because he rarely was that good in playoff games.