Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bronco defense hit by injuries

oldunclemark

Just like last year.

In Sunday's win over Miami....Denver may have lost Aquib Talib (hamstring), Kayvon Webster (shoulder)

..and they did lose LB Brandon Marshall (concussion)

Denver does have CB Tony Carter (inactive vs Miami) but backup linebackers now (without Danny Trevethan and

Nate Irving) are just rookies.. Demver may use safety TJ Ward (who struggles covering people anyway) as a

pseudo linebacker vs. KC Sunday

Trevethan is practicing but is stuck on injured reserve until week 15 vs. San Diego.

Broncos also looking at 13-year vet kicker Jay Feeley

Denver's defense is terrible either way. Healthy or not

Against the pass, yes. Against the run they're outstanding. Of course you'd be better off being decent at both as opposed to great just one. Teams don't have to play to Denver's strength when even bad QB's can convert on them through the air.

If Denver were halfway decent at coverage that defense would be pretty damn good overall. They live or die with the pass rush which you can't count on to work every game.

Just like last year.

In Sunday's win over Miami....Denver may have lost Aquib Talib (hamstring), Kayvon Webster (shoulder)

..and they did lose LB Brandon Marshall (concussion)

Denver does have CB Tony Carter (inactive vs Miami) but backup linebackers now (without Danny Trevethan and

Nate Irving) are just rookies.. Demver may use safety TJ Ward (who struggles covering people anyway) as a

pseudo linebacker vs. KC Sunday

Trevethan is practicing but is stuck on injured reserve until week 15 vs. San Diego.

Broncos also looking at 13-year vet kicker Jay Feeley

This is about that time of year you can count on Talib to come up limp with some injury.. thats why the Patriots let him leave to Denver... after him going out in back to back AFC Championship games, which completely ruined their defense.

They'll get Brandon Marshall back at least and im sure Talib will be back before the playoffs.. might actually be good for him to miss time now rather than in single elimination matchups

This is about that time of year you can count on Talib to come up limp with some injury.. thats why the Patriots let him leave to Denver... after him going out in back to back AFC Championship games, which completely ruined their defense.

They'll get Brandon Marshall back at least and im sure Talib will be back before the playoffs.. might actually be good for him to miss time now rather than in single elimination matchups

NE was right to move beyond Talib because the guy gets nicked up too often. If durability is the most important asset, Talib sucks at staying healthy. He's unreliable. 

Off topic: The Patriots kicked caboose against the Lions yesterday. Jesus! Everybody on offense was clicking yesterday Lefell, Wright, Gronk, Vereen, Blount, & Julian Edelman impresses the hades out of me. To me, Julian is Foxboro's most lethal weapon. I have a ton of respect for that kid so many tough catches across the middle. Wow! 

Brady's getting his 4th SB ring this year. Book it. I'm kind of hoping that your battle with GB this week will be a precursor to the SB actually. I wanna see Brady vs Rogers for all the marbles in February.  

Denver needs to cut Montee Ball loose too. He's not their best option at RB. Stick with Anderson. He's legit. As a UW-Madison Alumni myself, I gotta say that drafting Montee Ball was a mistake by the Broncos. 

Manning actually looked good after that burn the tape vs the Rams game & gloves on both hands seems to help in the grip/accuracy department. 

TJ Ward was a great signing though. He gives that defense a toughness & intensity that they just didn't have last year.

LB Von Miller looked off yesterday, but then again, if I got kicked in the groin, I'd be disoriented too so I will cut him some slack there. 

It always mad me mad when FG kickers miss because they don't have full practice sessions & there is no contact against other players. I get their necessity, but missing routine kicks always ticks me off. 

Denver needs to cut Montee Ball loose too. He's not their best option at RB. Stick with Anderson. He's legit. As a UW-Madison Alumni myself, I gotta say that drafting Montee Ball was a mistake by the Broncos. 

Manning actually looked good after that burn the tape vs the Rams game & gloves on both hands seems to help in the grip/accuracy department. 

TJ Ward was a great signing though. He gives that defense a toughness & intensity that they just didn't have last year.

LB Von Miller looked off yesterday, but then again, if I got kicked in the groin, I'd be disoriented too so I will cut him some slack there. 

It always mad me mad when FG kickers miss because they don't have full practice sessions & there is no contact against other players. I get their necessity, but missing routine kicks always ticks me off. 

I agree from what little I have seen Anderson looks a lot faster, and seems to have a knack for the game. On the other hand the defense has not lived up to all the talk they got in the off season... and I'm not sure we will notice much of a difference with the guys being injured.

That's probably true...Talib has been injury prone...If they win at KC, they dont need him again until janaury.

Broncos are very thin at LB...though....have been from the start of the year.

Could matter against Jamaal Charles

Yeah. Miller took a painful hit early....I like Ward better playing LB than I do playing SS against a team like KC.

They wont be cutting anybody loose right now...Remember..Hillman sat for 2 years..and now (when healthy) he has contributed.

I'd sign Jay Feeley....Long time vet...wont shake when the heats on..

I agree from what little I have seen Anderson looks a lot faster, and seems to have a knack for the game. the defense has not lived up to all the talk they got in the off season... and I'm not sure we will notice much of a difference with the guys being injured.

I think it all boils down to is who Peyton likes best in pass protection/blitz pickup, but the problem is this: Manning needs a RB who can generate 4-6 yards consistently on the ground because opposing DBs & safeties don't fear his long ball anymore. Yes, I have seen some nice slug go throws from him, but 18 can't unleash those passes like a pez dispenser anymore at will like say in 2009. They are not automatic anymore.

Plus, a number of WR & TE routes are comeback routes meaning some are designed that way to get open & some are because the ball doesn't have enough spin & velocity on it to get there.

Manning needs a solid ground game to win in December. Take that away & he struggles. If Denver goes to Foxboro for the AFC Championship Game, it's not gonna end will for Denver. 

Against the pass, yes. Against the run they're outstanding. Of course you'd be better off being decent at both as opposed to great just one. Teams don't have to play to Denver's strength when even bad QB's can convert on them through the air.

If Denver were halfway decent at coverage that defense would be pretty damn good overall. They live or die with the pass rush which you can't count on to work every game.

Moose they're only good against the run because teams always throw against them in the shootouts.

I think their coverage is pretty good actually..better than last year with Champ out so much

Run/pass rankings are misleading...Denver tends to lead and teams pass more

I think it all boils down to is who Peyton likes best in pass protection/blitz pickup, but the problem is this: Manning needs a RB who can generate 4-6 yards consistently on the ground because opposing DBs & safeties don't fear his long ball anymore. Yes, I have seen some nice slug go throws from him, but 18 can't unleash those passes like a pez dispenser anymore at will like say in 2009. They are not automatic anymore. 

Manning needs a solid ground game to win in December. Take that away & he struggles. If Denver goes to Foxboro for the AFC Championship Game, it's not gonna end will for Denver.

Its going to come down to Denver-New England...I dont see anything else and neither will probably be playing the way they are now...

Its going to come down to Denver-New England...I dont see anything else and neither will probably be playing the way they are now...

Exactly OUM, it's gonna be Manning vs Brady in the AFC. I was shooting for San Diego to play Championship Game spoiler this year because I like Philip Rivers, but with him being banged up that's not happening.

In the NFC I like Green Bay vs AZ, but Seattle might still knock off the Cardinals.  

Off topic: I want to thank NE for crushing INDY in the regular season this year. Yes, I sincerely mean that because it forced me to acknowledge that we need to start drafting darn good linemen in order to protect Andrew Luck, open up running lanes, give our QB time to survey the field never needing to leave the pocket, & start competing for SBs against NE.

SW1 wants this:  :lombardi:  not just division titles. 

Your butt whipping of us opened my eyes. I appreciate that Patriots nation. I am forever in your debt.  :hat:  :thmup:

Power pigs in the trenches are where games are won & lost in the NFL. They aren't sexy picks in the draft, but they pay handsomely in the end. 

If INDY can give Luck time to do his damage, the Colts can give Bill Belichick a run for his money. I am supremely confident of that fact; No doubt in my mind whatsoever. 

It might take 2-3 drafts, but I can be patient if I know our o-line will soon become impenetrable or at least gives our rivals fits.

We owe that to Andrew Luck. Besides, I want a NE/INDY bloodbath rivalry again & this is the key to longterm team success: QB protection at all costs. 

I realize that I probably sulked after INDY lost to NE now & I wasn't happy. But, if we get a stout o-line that solves a ton of problems & WRs & TEs don't mean crap if your QB is always running for his life & your RBs have no creases of daylight to punch through. An o-line is like a house's foundation: If it sucks, your whole darn house is going to collapse. 

Yes, I know...You still have to have a decent defense otherwise you are just Chicago 2.0 right now. I wonder if GM Grigson can get Andrew to take less money in order to get a better line in front of him when his big pay day arrives? I hope so. 

Look, I respect NE after their decade of dominance in this league. I have nothing against your top tier franchise personally. I just am willing to be brutally honest in order to win games in Nov. & December. We cannot win with our line right now & we need better studs up front. We are chasing the Patriots no one else. Look at that exceptional o-line & copy or steal from them as often as possible. Duplication not flattery will get you far. JMO. 

Above all else, build INDY's new line through the draft not free agency. I'm not making a Trent Richardson too much tread worn off on the tires ever again. I only need to get burned once before I learn my lesson. I prefer young athletic guys only exposed to 1 playbook in college vs players under multiple coaching schemes. Fewer bad habits to break that way. 

I know I always say this: I love how GM Jerry Reese builds football teams, but if NY gives him a pick slip, find a way to put him on our payroll as a consultant. I know it's a pipe dream, but that guy knows how to create impressive o-lines. RBs never have any troubles finding lanes to run through. Yeah I know, SW1 is President of the Jerry Reese fan club.  haha The guy has a great talent scout eye. 

Moose they're only good against the run because teams always throw against them in the shootouts.

I think their coverage is pretty good actually..better than last year with Champ out so much

Run/pass rankings are misleading...Denver tends to lead and teams pass more

It's true that their run rankings are inflated from being passed on all the time, but when teams DO try to run on them they almost always go nowhere. It's legit.

The problem is the secondary has so many issues teams don't need to worry about trying to force running against them.

The only team that has the mindset and toughness to beat the Patriots in New England is Baltimore. Their offense is up to the challenge , as is their front seven. The problem is their corners and safeties aren't up to the challenge. They will be lucky to make the playoffs because of this. I don't see anyone else going into NE and winning , barring the Patriots falling apart. The Pats weakness last year was the secondary, but Bellichick fixed that with Revis and Browner. Hope Ozzie makes some bold moves next year like Bellichick.

Brady's getting his 4th SB ring this year. Book it. I'm kind of hoping that your battle with GB this week will be a precursor to the SB actually. I wanna see Brady vs Rogers for all the marbles in February.

I pray this doesn't come true. Those uppity hoighty toighty New England fans will get even worse.

The only team that has the mindset and toughness to beat the Patriots in New England is Baltimore. Their offense is up to the challenge , as is their front seven. The problem is their corners and safeties aren't up to the challenge. They will be lucky to make the playoffs because of this. I don't see anyone else going into NE and winning , barring the Patriots falling apart. The Pats weakness last year was the secondary, but Bellichick fixed that with Revis and Browner. Hope Ozzie makes some bold moves next year like Bellichick.

Yes, Baltimore but probably moreso Cleveland this year. I am hoping for the Bengals to take that division with the Steelers as the wild card although I think both WCs could come from the West.

Yes, Baltimore but probably moreso Cleveland this year. I am hoping for the Bengals to take that division with the Steelers as the wild card although I think both WCs could come from the West.

I really had my doubts about the Ravens winning last night. As you saw, the secondary gave up

over 400 yards to Brees. butt Jackson will be back soon, but no other help is coming this year.

Next is the Chargers at home. Rivers is dangerous, but the game is in Baltimore , and the Chargers generally play poorly on the East Coast. Could be 8-4. This is followed up with another tough road game in Miami , followed by the Jaguars at home, at Texans , and the Browns at home. If they could win their three home games where they are very strong, they. are at 10-6. If they split between the road games at Miami and Houston, they are 11-5. Much depends on the band aid secondary, and the Bengals, Steelers, and Browns have 2-3 games against each other in division. Should be interesting.

I really had my doubts about the Ravens winning last night. As you saw, the secondary gave up

over 400 yards to Brees. butt Jackson will be back soon, but no other help is coming this year.

Next is the Chargers at home. Rivers is dangerous, but the game is in Baltimore , and the Chargers generally play poorly on the East Coast. Could be 8-4. This is followed up with another tough road game in Miami , followed by the Jaguars at home, at Texans , and the Browns at home. If they could win their three home games where they are very strong, they. are at 10-6. If they split between the road games at Miami and Houston, they are 11-5. Much depends on the band aid secondary, and the Bengals, Steelers, and Browns have 2-3 games against each other in division. Should be interesting.

Chargers are a much better defensive team since they got a few starters in their front 7 back from injuries. If not for a pick six thrown by Rivers, things would have worked out more comfortably for the Chargers. Flacco would have to take advantage of their weak secondary to make some dents with that Chargers' D.

However, at home, the Ravens' D will get after the Chargers better.

Chargers are a much better defensive team since they got a few starters in their front 7 back from injuries. If not for a pick six thrown by Rivers, things would have worked out more comfortably for the Chargers. Flacco would have to take advantage of their weak secondary to make some dents with that Chargers' D.

However, at home, the Ravens' D will get after the Chargers better.

No doubt a tough game. If this game was in SD, I would easily pick the Chargers. In Baltimore though, and with San Diego's traditional problems playing on the east coast, I hope that balances out our weak secondary. Hopefully, the front seven get after Rivers or we are in serious trouble.