Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pouncey from the Steelers-FA after this year

WARNING: Long Post, but imho some interesting thoughts!

I was reading a great article on NFL.com about Mack and his new contract, and how this contract signaled a new kind of thought concerning offensive players in the league. If you look at Mack's contract, in the end although he will make 26 million guaranteed in the first 3 years, unless he turns down the 3rd year guarantee of 8 million, which he won't, the average of the contract will be about 9M give or take. This puts him as the number one highest paid center in the league. The Jaguars felt it was worth it to go after Mack due to how good he is (duh), but also the changing thoughts about the center. Many are starting to feel because of all the hybrid defenses, and all the changes that go on pre-snap, your center may be the 3rd most important player on offense, behind the QB and LT. Now I could debate about WR, but I do understand the thought process, and besides the center being physically dominant, he has to be very smart for the pre snap reads.

The first think I thought of was Holmes. If he can get strong enough, he would be a perfect compliment to Luck because he is incredibly bright. I think this was one of the thoughts that went into the decision to give him the shot to start.

Second, the artice talked about Mike Pouncey from the Steelers, a stud C who I would argue is better than Mack, and much younger. He is 26, and going into his 5th year, the last year of his contract. He has been in more Pro bowls than Mack, and voted All Pro team more than Mack. So when the offseason roles around, he will be a Free Agent. Mack set a new market, and Pouncey will demand more than Mack. The Steelers will not franchise him, since it would cost about 12M if a long term deal is not done. Plus the Steelers always have a number in mind, and will not deviate from that plan. No matter who the player is, except maybe Rothlisberger, they do not deviate from their financial plan. They have let a lot of players go over the last few years due to this. Wallace and Sanders are the latest two examples. Pouncey will demand around 9M a year with the same guaranteed money as Mack. I don't think the Steelers will pay that kind of money for him, and I can almost guarantee Pouncey will be a hot FA, and gett offers of more than that, remember the cap will go up again next year. So if they won't pay 9M a year no way will they pay 10M for a Center. So do we agree with the new thought of how important a great center can be and its worth. I do. Look how many of us wanted Mack even at 10M a year, which was his transition tag price.

I hope Khaled Holmes becomes a great player, since he has all the intangibles , he just needs to get stronger and stay healthy. As I said earlier, as smart as he is, I believe he would be the perfect compliment to Luck.

But the question remains, if he does not play well, or Costa has to play, and he does not play well, would we go after Pouncey in FA, which as I stated above, I believe he hits the market. The problem is we have a lot of FA's ourselves to sign after this year, TY, Allen, Castanzo, Fleener, possibly Nicks and I am sure I have missed some, so would we have the money. We only have 40M going into next year. I have done the quick math before using what I believe they will get in FA and it shows the Colts can sign our own FA's which is a must, and still have 5-10M left over in cap space. We have tons of cap space for 2016, so that is when we would sign Luck. 5-10M cap is without signing draft picks, and emergency cash for signings during the year, so we would need that cap space. Now the one thing we could do. If Walden is cut next year, that is 3,75M extra cap space. If Toler does not perform, that would be 4.75M in additional cap space. RJF, I don't know, but same thing, if he does not perform better, is he worth 5M next year. He would provide 4.875 in additional cap space, and all of them leave very little dead money. They were all basically 2 year contracts and then see. So we would have the money to sign Pouncey if we cut a player or two who did not perform, or I am sure we could do it by shifting around bonus money. As I said, it would not hurt us if we had to shift bonus money, creative accounting for one year if we kept everyone because they stepped up, which I would prefer, because we have so much cap space going into 2016.

So although I have brought up many thoughts with this post, if a top FA center was available next year, like Pouncey, and we had another year where the line struggled along with the center, would we pull the trigger.

I find all the thoughts really interesting that have come up just from the resigning of Mack and teams reassessing the importance of positions. I am glad the Jaguars did not get Mack! Think of them having Mack in the middle, Joeckel at left or right tackle, and they could wait on a QB and sign a stud at LT like Robinson. That would be the kind of line I dream of for the Colts!

..... Second, the artice talked about Mike Pouncey from the Steelers, a stud C who I would argue is better than Mack, and much younger. He is 26, and going into his 5th year, the last year of his contract. He has been in more Pro bowls than Mack, and voted All Pro team more than Mack. So when the offseason roles around, he will be a Free Agent. Mack set a new market, and Pouncey will demand more than Mack. The Steelers will not franchise him, since it would cost about 12M if a long term deal is not done. Plus the Steelers always have a number in mind, and will not deviate from that plan. No matter who the player is, except maybe Rothlisberger, they do not deviate from their financial plan. They have let a lot of players go over the last few years due to this. Wallace and Sanders are the latest two examples. Pouncey will demand around 9M a year with the same guaranteed money as Mack. I don't think the Steelers will pay that kind of money for him, and I can almost guarantee Pouncey will be a hot FA, and gett offers of more than that, remember the cap will go up again next year. So if they won't pay 9M a year no way will they pay 10M for a Center. So do we agree with the new thought of how important a great center can be and its worth. I do. Look how many of us wanted Mack even at 10M a year, which was his transition tag price....

-Maurkice plays for the Steelers; Mike is on Miami

-He is not better than Mack ... Pro Bowls mean nothing.

-I will be very surprised if Pouncey gets as much or more than Mack.  On top of being a great C and known as durable (Pouncey is coming off an ACL/MCL tear) Mack had the perfect storm for a big pay day; a bigger bump in salary cap than expected, limited supply, and 2 teams with money to burn.

IMO ... I don't think most GMs see the center as being the "3rd most important player on offense" and worth the type of money that Mack got as you suggested.  If anything it looks to me like many see it as the opposite, and feel that it is not a hard position to replace ... look at the Packers, Saints, Colts, etc ....

I am not worried about the following year right now.  Our job is to get to the draft...get to camp, and get who we have for a run this year.  

We do not know what Holmes will bring...or Costa for that matter.  We may be very happy with who we have.  (Maybe not :))  Time will tell.  Bring on the OTAs, draft and training camp!  I am ready.  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!

I just hope the interior line shows enough improvement this year that Grigson won't be desperate to break the bank on a center next off-season. I'm pretty much done with Grigson if the line is horrible again this year

Hell...you went to Arizona anyway!  Go away!  :)

:sarcasm:

Hell...you went to Arizona anyway! Go away! :)

:sarcasm:

I guess I really need to change my moniker. It's misinterpreted far too often. My username is "HireBruceArians" as in, somebody PLEASE hire Bruce Arians so we don't have to watch him call verticals every other play (and Luck holding the ball too long) anymore. Lol

I was not a fan of Bruce Arians the OC. I'm glad he's doing well down in AZ though

Bolderdash! 
 Having a Center that can Anchor against these huge Tackles/NT is a big deal for a QB trying to pass.
 Beyond that, I have read and agree the Guards are more important.

We had Distressed FANS suffering from Samsoneteleeitus! Just look what having Two VG guards did for UDFA EDS and DLP.

Guys that their teams let walk, that took awhile to find a Buyer, and didn`t get much $$, and our Fans were UNHINGED-Crazy over them.

You can only put so much $$$ in the O-Line. Jax had Cap room and is desperate to add talent. I hope They add Pouncey for $8+M.

NO, there WILL NOT be a big market for Pouncey at that price. Just like there WAS NOT for Mack.

I guess I really need to change my moniker. It's misinterpreted far too often. My username is "HireBruceArians" as in, somebody PLEASE hire Bruce Arians so we don't have to watch him call verticals every other play (and Luck holding the ball too long) anymore. Lol

I was not a fan of Bruce Arians the OC. I'm glad he's doing well down in AZ though

I knew that...just having fun...thus the sarcasm flag and smile:)

Guarantee you Andrew was a Big Part of the holding onto the ball throwing downfield PROBLEM.

Andrew was a BUM, and only improved a little this season, in the short, quick passing game.

He may be really smart Pre-Snap, but i haven`t seen ANYTHING that makes me believe he thinks quick post snap, and he clearly has Accuracy issues in the short game.

Practice Practice Practice, yes it will come, but ANDREW still has a Long way to go.

Guarantee you Andrew was a Big Part of the holding onto the ball throwing downfield PROBLEM.

Andrew was a BUM, and only improved a little this season, in the short, quick passing game.

He may be really smart Pre-Snap, but i haven`t seen ANYTHING that makes me believe he thinks quick post snap, and he clearly has Accuracy issues in the short game.

Practice Practice Practice, yes it will come, but ANDREW still has a Long way to go.

How do you think he got that way? He didn't hold the ball that long when he was at Stanford. Pep going to have to un-teach him bad habits he gained playing under Arians offense for a season. He still likes to look for the big play far too often, and i blame that primarily on how he was prepped week-in and week-out by Arians in his rookie year 

I think we've seen enough of "oh he's going to get paid so much".  We've seen this year the lineman we ( at least on the board anyway) are interested in have been signing for way less than what some have predicted.  Or it would seem that way.  Most notably BLDP