Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney or Hughes?

BProland85

Who would you rather have going into this regular season as the starter opposite Mathis?

My take, including what each player is getting paid, is I would rather have Hughes and either try and trade Freeney in a package deal getting OL or CB help, or simply cut him unless we dont need the 19 mil he is getting paid this year. I hope Pagano and Grigson are thinking of getting help at positions of dire need which are CB, OL, and possibly WR.

Maybe involving Freeney in this rumoured trade is a way we can get a good player back without having to give up a 1st or maybe even a 2nd.

Hughes. Sorry, I'm a Horned Frog Fan. And Freeney just hasn't done anything so far. 3 Quarters of Football today, & he was just out there going through the Motions. Don't get me wrong, I love Freeney as a Player & Colt..... but you have to Produce. Mathis seems to have this OLB things down pretty well, & sure he'll improve. But I feel like Freeney isn't understanding it. Maybe he just wants to play DE. Idk, but based on Production soo far.................... I take Hughes

might as well let freeney go...we have let go of all the other players that made up "the face" of the team...might as well rip off the last couple scabs while they are still worth something...the "New Look Colts"...Freeney was a great player...let him go with dignity and give him options..make sure he is happy...then we will be moving forward instead of holding on to the thought of a team that doesnt exist n e more

If only Reality was like Madden. Could've done all the Trades I did. Except we take Luck in the Draft & leave Bradford on the Rams.

My Trades made us better. I'm sitting at 14-2 with Home Field advantage in the Playoffs :)

I know i can't seem to find the right castle for the princess either.

With each pre- season game I watch, my gut tells me Freeney simply doesn't fit this scheme. We really won't know until they trade him or the regular season starts and he does well or does nothing. I know I was watching espn one day and Polian was on there and they asked him if he thought that Freeney and Mathis would transition well into the new scheme and he said no because the new scheme is asking them to set the edges and he said "frankly neither one of them are good at doing that". Those were his exact words.

Today when asked, Coach Pagano said that we need to get the edges set because that is part of what opened the door to everything else. Now I know Mathis didn't play but Freeney did, I don't know for sure who he was talking about but Polians assesment looks like it may have some validity. Pagano also spoke of the interior defensive players struggling too though.

"We’ve got to be able to establish the edge in the run game and do a better job inside, knocking (the offensive line) back,” Pagano said. “Any time you give up the yards that we did in the run game it just opens everything up for the offense, so we got to go back to that.”

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/DEFENSIVE-REPLACEMENTS-FILL-IN-NICELY/2d669dc0-0a3e-4105-bc8b-bb105e87cd45

I honestly feel like they kept Freeny just so there were a few familiar faces in the franchise. I think the general consensus among insiders and analyst was that Freeny would struggle to adapt if adapt at all. Unfortunatly it is proving to be true. Even if he makes a big jump in the regular season I feel we are better off cutting ties now and starting with a fresh face that truly fits the position in our new defence.

I think the problem with Freeney is that the double teams are getting to him. If we are going to move forward with Freeney, we need to come up with some blitz packages that will take some pressure off of him. But in order to effectively blitz, we need good corners, which we don't have. :(

Who would you rather have going into this regular season as the starter opposite Mathis?

My take, including what each player is getting paid, is I would rather have Hughes and either try and trade Freeney in a package deal getting OL or CB help, or simply cut him unless we dont need the 19 mil he is getting paid this year. I hope Pagano and Grigson are thinking of getting help at positions of dire need which are CB, OL, and possibly WR.

Maybe involving Freeney in this rumoured trade is a way we can get a good player back without having to give up a 1st or maybe even a 2nd.

I honestly would take hughes with this new scheme. This just isnt Freeneys Style. I wish we could put him on the line and leave him there. Put Freeney back at DE and then have Hughes at LOLB or whatever side he has been on. If we cant do that scenario then Id consider tradiing freeney for whatever we can grab for him. As much as I'd hate to see him leave, I think at this point it might be best. Unless we can do what I said about moving him back to the line and Hughes standing

Hughes and Freeney are NOT the same position. Hughes has not shown any ability past his current assignment.

This thread should be called " Freeney or Addison"

Comparing Hughes to Freeney is like comparing Addison to Mathis.