Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 07/26

sb41champs

In 1998 - the media insisted on spending the season "linking" the top two draft picks - Colts QB Peyton Manning and Chargers QB Ryan Leaf - in a plethora of ways.

The "hype" for the same type of season-long comparisons between Colts QB Andrew Luck and Redskins QB Robert Griffin III is already beginning.

Do YOU feel that it is fair and accurate to compare two completely different quarterbacks with different skill sets and completely different teammates ??

In 1998 - the media insisted on spending the season "linking" the top two draft picks - Colts QB Peyton Manning and Chargers QB Ryan Leaf - in a plethora of ways.

The "hype" for the same type of season-long comparisons between Colts QB Andrew Luck and Redskins QB Robert Griffin III is already beginning.

Do YOU feel that it is fair and accurate to compare two completely different quarterbacks with different skill sets and completely different teammates ??

I don't see how fair can enter into the equation. If that were the case then the need for analysis/analysts and programming for that matter would drop.

People compare players, teams, coaches, GM's, etc all the time. Grigson will be compared to Polian and previous Colts GM's, Pagano will be compaerd to Dungy and previous Colts coaches, Luck will be compared to former Colts QB's, etc.

Luck & RGIII are going to be compared since they went 1 & 2, were in 1 & 2 in reverse order in the Heisman.

Marino & Elway were compared their whole year. If Leaf hadn't flaked out he would have been compared more to Manning throughout his career, but now Luck is compared to other busts and Manning is compared to other all-time greats.

I'm sure someone will write an article comparing Luck's x # of yards in game 1 vs. Chicago against Manning's 302 vs. the Dolphins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a weekly comparison in either the Washington and/or Indy papers comparing Luck & RG3 on a weekly basis. The same could be said about Manning/Luck.

It's the nature of the business. It gives them something to talk about. If RG3 throws 3 td's the first week while Luck throws 2, then Luck throws 3 in week 3 and RG3 throws 2, then it's going to be discussed.

I don't see how fair can enter into the equation. If that were the case then the need for analysis/analysts and programming for that matter would drop.

I don't see this as a bad thing, though I reserve the right to be the first to complain when they cut stuff I'm interested in, and keep things I don't.

Luck will be compared to Manning by the media especially his entire career whether its a possible hall of fame career or he is a bust (which I seriously doubt), but when you follow a legend you will be compared to that legend, no its not fair but life isn't fair. Personally I wont compare him to Manning. Does he have to be every bit as good as Manning to justify us going that route? No but he cant be Ryan Leaf, does he have to come out and surpass Cam Newtons rookie passing record? No he just has to show progress, now there is more factors that go into how successful he is then just him alone such as, is he going to be calling his own plays this year? I doubt he will be calling all of them if any at all this year. Most important question in regards to his success in my opinion is our O Line we have two cast offs that will probably start, Mcglynn, Justice and a new Center who isn't a cast off, he is good but still new to the team and offense