Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we learned at Rookie Camp

HtownColt

all according to brad wells since he has the inside knowledge that i certainly don't have

He came away impressed. Here are a few observations of the team post-rookie camp:

• Colts will run a base 2 TE offense
  • Terminology is completely different from offense Andrew Luck ran at Stanford
  • Colts view Vick Ballard as their third down back
  • Offense will implement pre-snap motion, something the Peyton Manning offenses of the past never did
  • WR Jabin Sambrano and WR Griff Whlaen stood out during the camp
  • WR T.Y.Hilton is hurt (calf injury) and it is limited in workouts expected to be ready for training camp
  • Josh Chapman is hurt (recovering from ACL), but the Colts expect him to be their starting NT
  • Austin Anderson, son of one-time great kicker Gary Anderson, was brought in to try out for field goal kicker
  • The Colts have two special teams coaches, Marwan Maalouf and Brant Boyer
  • Andrew Luck is already impressing everyone
  • Luck's arm strength was noticeable the more comfortable he got at practice
  • Dwayne Allen LOVES Bruce Arians' offense

Read the first of your 2 articles... I agree we can be a little "fair weather", but this line, pulled from the IBJ amused me:

"Fans too have complained about the sun streaming through the window at the north end of the stadium making it unbearable to sit in the sun-bathed section."

Can I just point out that the sun couldn't stream in through a north window...

In the grand scheme of things, this camp will tell us nothing of relevance regarding the forthcoming season. Sure, it will help the rookies and the coaches, but nope, it's just an induction to professional football....

actually it does tell you the philosophies of the coaches and how the playbooks are ran

Im no expert on playbooks, so if they never change I bow to your knowledge. Although I do find that hard to fathom....

when its a new coordinator coming in your laying your foundation of your playbooks..and it changes week to week according to the coordinators gameplan for that week..first everybody has to get the foundation down first which is where they are at now

Im no expert on playbooks, so if they never change I bow to your knowledge. Although I do find that hard to fathom....

actually since this is whole new offense and defense, everyone is learning. rookies are getting a head start on the field and practicing while the vets still havent hit the field so in a way this rookie minicamp is to help the rookies get up to speed in learning the new playbook

actually since this is whole new offense and defense, everyone is learning. rookies are getting a head start on the field and practicing while the vets still havent hit the field so in a way this rookie minicamp is to help the rookies get up to speed in learning the new playbook

Yeah, I get that. What I was trying to say (badly) was that some things might not work once all the personel start learning the playbook, therefore surely it is not a stretch to think that the playbook could be adjusted by the time TC ends. Thus my initial point that this 3 day rookie camp will not provide too much 'juice' to get excited about.....

Yeah, I get that. What I was trying to say (badly) was that some things might not work once all the personel start learning the playbook, therefore surely it is not a stretch to think that the playbook could be adjusted by the time TC ends. Thus my initial point that this 3 day rookie camp will not provide too much 'juice' to get excited about.....

the whole purpose is to get the rookies' feet wet. the playbook may have some adjustments, but the concept and scheme wont change.