Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Andrew Luck Really Joining a Depleted Roster? Fan's Take

Horseshoe79

The point of the previous post being, although Donald Brown has not lit things up, a lot of that may be due to scheme and lack of opportunity to shine. The stats show that even the best backs cannot do any better when given no more opportunity, so I think some of the slagging of Donald Brown is irrational and not based on facts.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - personal shot and masked profanity
Hidden by Nadine, May 2, 2012 - personal shot and masked profanity

This can't be taken seriously. It is a fan, and they are biased. I mean I stopped reading after Donald. The guy is a joke, and those who think he improved haven't looked at him objectively. His contribution is exaggerated because of a terrible season. Almost half of his game he averaged less than 3.33yds. Meaning he wouldn't have gained enough for a first down if he was called on three times in a row. He is just inconsistent.

His "best game", the Titans game, more than half of his runs, 9 attempts, went for less than 3 yards.

People like you can't be taken seriously. As a long time lurker, I know you and your kind. The OP presented realistic facts, and as usual, you shoot them down. You stop reading after anything your *&%^$#% mind doesn't agree with. But I forgot, YOU should have been the GM, not Grigson.

For those who think Brown had a good year 80 of his attempts, roughly 60%, went for 3 or less yards.

I'm no Brown fan, I don't think he ever broke a tackle his first 2 years. However, he was better last year. We did have a poor and injury riddled OL last year and no threat of a passing game which has a major impact on the stat you mentioned. Forget about numbers, last year he made guys miss more and broke more tackles. He needs to improve more, but he was better last year. As of now, you would have to say he is in the bottom 3rd of all starting tailbacks. Someone, whether it's him or the rookie need to be in the top half for the Colts to be successful.

More important than total yards, someone needs to consistently be able to get a 1st down on 3rd and 1 or 2. That has been a major problem for the past several years and has cost us a few playoff games.

Hi guys. Glad this sparked a debate. I actually wrote the article.. Have read the forums here a lot but never posted. Glad it got people talking. I am just a freelance writer but think the big media is far too down on the team right now. I think with Pagano leading the D and the additions on offense, this will be a much better team. Funny how running back was not an area of need going into the draft and now its a "weakness".

Excited for Colts football to get here!

People like you can't be taken seriously. As a long time lurker, I know you and your kind. The OP presented realistic facts, and as usual, you shoot them down. You stop reading after anything your *&%^$#% mind doesn't agree with. But I forgot, YOU should have been the GM, not Grigson.

That nice I guess. I don't have a problem with Grigson or his draft. Are we a good team, possibly. Are we better than '98, yes. However Donald Brown is not an answer at running back.

I feel flattered your first post was to curse me out. Thanks. :thmup:

I'm no Brown fan, I don't think he ever broke a tackle his first 2 years. However, he was better last year. We did have a poor and injury riddled OL last year and no threat of a passing game which has a major impact on the stat you mentioned. Forget about numbers, last year he made guys miss more and broke more tackles. He needs to improve more, but he was better last year. As of now, you would have to say he is in the bottom 3rd of all starting tailbacks. Someone, whether it's him or the rookie need to be in the top half for the Colts to be successful.

More important than total yards, someone needs to consistently be able to get a 1st down on 3rd and 1 or 2. That has been a major problem for the past several years and has cost us a few playoff games.

Was he better last year? Yes, but i no way shape or form was he good. His previous performances were just so dismal.

In a running back like you said you need consistency, but Brown does not have that. Like last year people say oh he had a good year because he had okay number. No what he did was nothing. What Brown did was break a decent run then for the next three runs either lost yards or gained none. This is his final chance this year. If he can't do anything, or do the Brown thing of making a big play then flopping for the next seven he needs to go. If the Colts keep him for the 2013 season, and not draft a future RB next year then that's a big problem.

That nice I guess. I don't have a problem with Grigson or his draft. Are we a good team, possibly. Are we better than '98, yes. However Donald Brown is not an answer at running back.

I feel flattered your first post was to curse me out. Thanks. :thmup:

Was he better last year? Yes, but i no way shape or form was he good. His previous performances were just so dismal.

In a running back like you said you need consistency, but Brown does not have that. Like last year people say oh he had a good year because he had okay number. No what he did was nothing. What Brown did was break a decent run then for the next three runs either lost yards or gained none. This is his final chance this year. If he can't do anything, or do the Brown thing of making a big play then flopping for the next seven he needs to go. If the Colts keep him for the 2013 season, and not draft a future RB next year then that's a big problem.

I agree he still needs to show more and step up his game this year. However, I think you are putting too much emphasis and blame on him for that one stat. I would like to see the same stat for other RB's. I believe one of the greatest RB's of all time had a lot of carries for losses and little to no gain. I think we would all take Barry Sanders on our team.

I am probably in the minority, but I think Andrew Luck is joining a team with a better roster than Peyton Manning did. Most of the experts out there seem to think Luck is joining a roster that is simply depleted of talent. I don't see it.

In 1998, Manning joined a team that truly had a bunch of no names plus Marshal Faulk. Yes, Marvin Harrison and Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows and Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard were all on the team. But if you look at that team through 1998 goggles, none of those guys were well known at all. Faulk was the ONLY guy on that team that commanded respect. On defense, Jason Belser was the only guy that people knew. Tony Siragusa was gone. "Big Play" Ray Buchanon was gone. Jeff Herrod and Quinton Coryatt were gone. If people will remember, one of the first things Polian did when he came in was spend a bunch of money on defensive free agents bringing in guys like Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, Cornelius Bennett, Shawn King and the like.

In 2012, Luck will be coming into a situation where he has an established Pro Bowl WR to work with in Reggie. In 1998, Marvin had not even come close to sniffing the Pro Bowl yet. While Reggie is no longer in his prime, he can still play. Luck also has a solid second WR to throw to in Austin Collie. Peyton certainly didn't have that option in 1998. Peyton did have two excellent TEs to work with. Well, now Luck will too! In fact, Luck's TEs will PROBABLY be better than the combo of Dilger and Pollard. Viewing the offensive line through 1998 goggles, the offensive line in 1998 was by no means a powerhouse. I would say that Tarik Glenn and Anthony Costanzo have had comparable rookie years. Tarik took a huge step in year two of course. Can Costonzo do the same? Meadows also played big in year two. Can Ijalana do the same? It will be tough to say considering his injury last year. 1998's line was lucky in that it hit on Steve McKinney who immediately came in and played LG at a pro bowl level. Faulk tilts things a lot towards 1998 because the Colts current RBs cannot even compare to Faulk's injured turf toe.

I think however that the 2012 defense is far superior to the 1998 defense which is why I think the overal make-up of the 2012 roster that Luck is joining is better. 1998 had NOBODY! Jason Belser. That's it. Like I said Polian brought in a bunch of FAs who were past their primes or overpaid to fill out the roster because he had to. 2012 boasts 3 former Pro Bowlers who can still play at a high level: Freeney, Mathis, and Bethea. 2012 also boasts a potential star LB in Pat Angerer and two solid players in Kavell Conner and Jerraud Powers.

I think if Luck plays well, the Colts will do better than most people expect...which I am actually kind of torn about. Because I remember in 1999, our horrendous 1998 turned into the 4th pick in the draft which became Edge! God I loved Edge! Anyways that was my roundabout way of saying Luck's team ain't as bad as the so called experts think.

OJI...this is the most astute and accurate assessment of where we are I have seen yet. You nailed the situation right on the head. I was at the dome for Manning's first home game and for several more throughout the following years. 14 years later people have lost sight of the fact there were as many or more Miami jerseys and fans of Marino there that day than there were Colts' fans.

I remember sitting in the stands and getting frustrated while Manning began perfecting his line of scrimmage routine. More than a few Colts fans were shouting at him to basically stop the gyrations and just snap the ball. I'm sure it's a revelation to a few on this board that many of the fans in the stands were critical of the young quarterback but still had high hopes and fondness for him. He struggled that season but you could see the greatness gaining momentum as he went. He also displayed his tendency to make average players look better than they were.

I have the same expectations for Luck.

I agree he still needs to show more and step up his game this year. However, I think you are putting too much emphasis and blame on him for that one stat. I would like to see the same stat for other RB's. I believe one of the greatest RB's of all time had a lot of carries for losses and little to no gain. I think we would all take Barry Sanders on our team.

When I get the time I'll try and do the top rusher from 2011. Then get back to you.

Yep. And approx 35% of Mannings passes failed to connect. Massaging stats to suit your argument is as easy as it is pointless.

Except that's an above average stat. Brown's however I don't know. I've just stated I'll compare to the top backs, but I'd rather a back who doesn't produce 2 out of 3 times.

I think the Colts signed a couple of free agent corners who can play. Personally, I think RB is the main weakness. However, it is a passing league. Don't have much faith in Brown. Never impressed me for a first round selection.

I think the RB position could be fixable through undrafted free agents. Teams are able to bring more people into camp this year so you can get a good look at a number of running backs and come up with a hidden gem there. I do agree with you that RB is not that strong of a position for us, but I don't see it as something hard to fix. Donald Brown is serviceable and has been improving, but he certainly was not a 1st round pick in any way shape form or fashion. With Vic Ballard in the mix I really don't see where Delone Carter fits as I think V. Ballard potentially could be a good goaline back on top of regular duties if needed. I like Carter but I'm still trying to figure out why you would draft a goaline back in the 2nd round of the draft! And finally with Darren Evans I think the colts for some odd reason just like signing and then cutting this guy without ever letting this dude see the field. I don't know what to say about him because he never gets any significant playing time. I think maybe they resigned him because they are trying to re-create the Giants backfield somehow and wanted a big bruiser but something is stopping them from using this guy how they intended.

You talk about Vick Ballard being a potential mistake as the 5th round pick, we need to find out why a goaline back(D. Carter) was selected in the second round for crying out loud. Obviously you also have to include the Polians selecting Donald Brown as a first round talent as well who has not lived up to being selected that high. You can almost see from that draft alone why the Polians were relenquished of their duties. Last years draft wasn't that good other than Costanzo and Nevis and the draft before that left alot to be desired other than Pat Angerer. It was a major sore point with Irsay, that's all he talked about was personnel when he fired them and immediately went out and got a GM who he felt was excellent at getting good personnel as one of his best attributes.

I think this GM and Head Coach that we have now will get our backfield looking pretty decent by the time pre-season ends.