Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A not so flattering fact

bluephantom87

That the Colts have now lost 11 of their last 15 games within the AFC south. This division overall has always been lackluster at best but it's one that we had a stronghold on for years.

In the past three seasons alone the Titans (2021), Jags (2022) and Texans (2023) have won the division. As a matter of fact each team has at least two division crowns while the Colts have ZERO under Ballard's 8 yr run as gm.

Hopefully in the near future Chris's love for high RAS scores, low rd draft picks, his pay your own philosophy, MO for trading down, hardcore stance on build from inside out and his believe of minimal use in free agency yield better results than his current 56-63-1 record that plays a part in the division drought. I ask you Colt's nation.. Do you believe winning the division is still possible this season? Thoughts

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Nope. Not with a project quarterback and a crappy defense. The Colts need to start from scratch next year in my opinion. Get rid of Ballard and most of the other coaches.. heck I wouldn’t be opposed to getting rid of Steichen. 

I think we all realize by now that this is an  evaluation year for AR.  It should have been last year, but stuff happens. 

It’s clear that it’s all about AR and the defense is an afterthought.  Not bringing any experienced DBs when we had the money and knew the injury history is evidence enough. 

So, if it looks like AR is our guy, I’m guessing they finally try to build a defense next season.  

But if AR isn’t the answer, then Irsay has to blow it up, right?  You can’t continue with Ballard and a defense that is beyond pathetic.  

One more thing.  The D doesn’t have to be great, mediocre would be all we need if the O is what we hope for.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think we all realize by now that this is an  evaluation year for AR.  It should have been last year, but stuff happens. 

It’s clear that it’s all about AR and the defense is an afterthought.  Not bringing any experienced DBs when we had the money and knew the injury history is evidence enough. 

So, if it looks like AR is our guy, I’m guessing they finally try to build a defense next season.  

But if AR isn’t the answer, then Irsay has to blow it up, right?  You can’t continue with Ballard and a defense that is beyond pathetic.  

One more thing.  The D doesn’t have to be great, mediocre would be all we need if the O is what we hope for.  

Still don’t think it happens until after the 2025 season. IF it happens. 

• Like 1

Ballard thinks he's Polian reincarnate. Somehow he's got Irsay believing that too. 

A couple more not so flattering facts:

Our Best D-Lineman (Buckner) wasn't drafted by him 

Possibly our best DE (Ebukam) he didn't draft 

Currently the Colt's top playing CB (Womack) he didn't draft 

They all came from San Fran

• Like 2

Win the division this season? Nope. Tbf it could be much worse. Luck retiring was a disaster, QB carousel was painful but Colts make playoffs in '20, win 1 more game '21 and '23 and Colts are in the playoffs, lots of competitive teams/games just couldn't get consistent QB play which has been the biggest weakness over the past few years.

We need a QB who is good and basically need to draft/sign a bunch of defensive players in 2025, otherwise I have no complaints - I didn't expect the Colts to be good because IMO AR is not good. Will he be good next year? Big maybe, so far I see no indication he has made any progress since college - all his pre draft weaknesses are still a problem and more in game experience may not fix this stuff (inconsistent accuracy, touch, footwork, mechanics, questionable decision making). Pray with me fam

I had the floor at 7 wins and the ceiling at 10 wins.

so I thought we were either not going to make the playoffs but be competitive…or be a fringe playoff team if everything went right.

so pretty much still think the same, nope.  I kept my expectations in check for this season.  But I will say I am disappointed in a few things I was looking forward to this year:

- AR:  this season was about seeing what we have with him and his development.  If he’s out there getting hurt and missing games, then it’s a waste of a season.

- Shane:  same as AR, this is supposed to be another year that Shane shows he’s the guy.  But his playcalling has been suspect compared to last year.

- Ballard:  i wanted to see if he could be the GM for AR/Shane if they both show they can get it done and so far ballard hasn’t shown that.  Loved his draft, but his lack of action in FA is doing this defense in right now.  

11 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Nope. Not with a project quarterback and a crappy defense. The Colts need to start from scratch next year in my opinion. Get rid of Ballard and most of the other coaches.. heck I wouldn’t be opposed to getting rid of Steichen. 

I agree but I differ on Steichen and the offensive coaches. Yes Shane has some clock management issues at times and needs to figure out when to simply punt on 4th down or to take the points (the latter in which he has gotten better) but overall he has shown growth as a first time hc who is now only in year two.

As a fairly young offensive mind Shane is one of a handful of coaches in the league like a McVay or Shanahan that is capable of getting a team to a SB based on HIS offense and playcalling like he did in Philly. Who by the way hasn’t looked anywhere near the same on offense (Jalen Hurts either a MVP runner-up under Steichen) since Shane departed for the Colts. Justin Herbert had maybe his best season winning ROY under Steichen. 

What Shane did with the offense last season should be applauded. Scoring was up and under Shane AR showed plenty of promise early as a dual threat qb before his season ending injury which in turn led to Shane having to switch the offense to accommodate Minshew at qb and Moss at rb due to JT's holdout. At one point Moss was leading the league in rushing after showing little in Buffalo and we all knew Minshew's shakey play prior to the Colts but guess what? Both had CAREER years. Both left in the offseason for more money and BOTH have been benched from the starting lineup by their new teams!!!!

Flacco has stated that Shane is a brilliant mind that knows how to manipulate defenses and cater to one's strengths. The problem is that Shane doesn't have the luxury of a complete team. This defense is AWFUL. The offense right now is ranked right outside the top ten in almost every major category DESPITE the fact that they are ranked dead last in time of possession because this putrid defense can't make stops or get off the field on a regular. As a matter of fact we avg more points than the Chiefs and they're undefeated!! Ballard is the problem and has been for awhile as the architect of this meh built team that continues to falter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

That the Colts have now lost 11 of their last 15 games within the AFC south. This division overall has always been lackluster at best but it's one that we had a stronghold on for years.

In the past three seasons alone the Titans (2021), Jags (2022) and Texans (2023) have won the division. As a matter of fact each team has at least two division crowns while the Colts have ZERO under Ballard's 8 yr run as gm.

Hopefully in the near future Chris's love for high RAS scores, low rd draft picks, his pay your own philosophy, MO for trading down, hardcore stance on build from inside out and his believe of minimal use in free agency yield better results than his current 56-63-1 record that plays a part in the division drought. I ask you Colt's nation.. Do you believe winning the division is still possible this season? Thoughts

Can't debate facts, I think making the playoffs is very possible. In order to even have a chance to win the division, we can't lose another divisional game and win at Houston. That is the only way I see it. We should sweep the Titans and beat the Jags here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

And this is a great reason why Ballard should not be our gentle manager next year. He screwed us big time on defensive back Help and said he was happy with what we had. He has had years to build this defensive line and although he found a few players that offensive line has not been at all what it has been expected to be over this time, I like Shane a lot I like his character. I like his toughness but I get a feeling that if Ballard wants to save his job he’s gonna have to fire Gus Bradley sooner than later. Flowers was the beginning.