Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard presser starting in a couple minutes

Superman

Just now, stitches said:

Look... I don't mind him believing in what he believes. I prefer that over him not knowing what he's doing and just being thrown around by the waves of the league. But I want him to explain why should WE believe that his philosophy is the one that will bring us success. 

A lot of team's success is about QB play. The 2 years Ballard got good-great QB play was 2018 and 2020 and look at those results. Let's hope AR is the real deal. I thought Minshew played good at times last year and we almost won the division. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

A lot of team's success is about QB play. The 2 years Ballard got good-great QB play was 2018 and 2020 and look at those results. Let's hope AR is the real deal. I thought Minshew played good at times last year and we almost won the division. 

I mean, it sucks to say it because football is supposed to be a team game… but yeah… QB play is simply the single focal point for a team making the playoffs and staying home.

Jets with Rodgers = contender. Jets without Rodgers… well… we saw what happened… 

There are so many other examples…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think maybe you misheard some of his answer. I don't remember hearing anything about a 4 win season being good. He said the 2021 team was good, and the way the season ended was unfortunate.

What I think he was saying -- in response to 'why should people believe you're the right guy for the job' -- is 'we built a good team in the first four years, and we know what happened with the QBs and how it ended, so if you want evidence that we can build a good team, I'll stand on the quality of those rosters.' Then he said they don't like missing the playoffs three years in a row, but they felt like they were right there last year, and they feel good about this year. 

And then he made his comment about believing in himself, the people around him, and the way they do things. And he thinks it's important to have strong beliefs, and not waver just because of what other people are saying and how they react. (I happen to completely agree with this concept. I might not share all of his beliefs on roster building, but he's absolutely right that it's important to stick to foundational principles.) So if sticking to his beliefs gets him fired, then it gets him fired. In other words, I'm not going to compromise my beliefs to try to save my job. 

To some of you, that translated into 'I will never change my mind about anything because I'm hopelessly stubborn and unyielding.' And if that's what you heard, I think you missed the point.

Actually... I think you are right. I withdraw my rant on the 4 win season. I didn't mishear him... I just completely forget that Wentz season... I think because my mind is trying to protect itself from how depressing that ending was and with some success has wiped that season off my mind. 

On the last point.... I do think he's stubborn and I do think he doesn't learn(which is why he keeps doing the exact same think for years, in pretty much every aspect of the roster building). But his stubbornness is not my main objection. I don't mind him having his views and sticking to them(well I do, but I can respect him sticking to what he believes in). What I want to hear is why should we believe in what he's doing when it hasn't resulted in any tangible success over the last 8 years he's been ahead of this team. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I mean, it sucks to say it because football is supposed to be a team game… but yeah… QB play is simply the single focal point for a team making the playoffs and staying home.

Jets with Rodgers = contender. Jets without Rodgers… well… we saw what happened… 

There are so many other examples…

Yep, look at Cincy without Joe. Their backup played well last year but nobody took them seriously because Joe was out. With Joe healthy, that is an 11 or 12 win team.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The results in the 2 best Ballard seasons are 1 wild card win. I'm sorry... but, this is just not enough. And I'm usually not one of those people who is results-oriented, but with the sample size becoming bigger and bigger, the results become more meaningful and the results under Ballard have not been good enough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Actually... I think you are right. I withdraw my rant on the 4 win season. I didn't mishear him... I just completely forget that Wentz season... I think because my mind is trying to protect itself from how depressing that ending was and with some success has wiped that season off my mind. 

On the last point.... I do think he's stubborn and I do think he doesn't learn(which is why he keeps doing the exact same think for years, in pretty much every aspect of the roster building). But his stubbornness is not my main objection. I don't mind him having his views and sticking to them(well I do, but I can respect him sticking to what he believes in). What I want to hear is why should we believe in what he's doing when it hasn't resulted in any tangible success over the last 8 years he's been ahead of this team. 

I think his answer to that was basically a version of 'we were on the right track, and then the QB drama started, and now I think we're on the right track again.' And he threw in a comment about how all that matters is whether you win, so ultimately either it works or it doesn't, and that's how he'll be judged.

Regarding his views, there are a few things I would like to see him do differently. But I think he should be judged on the results, not on the basis of whether he does things the way I think he should.

And several of the things I've wanted him to address have been addressed -- I feel good about the WR room and the pass rush potential. We'll see what Bradley does, but that's really the last thing I'm hopeful for. (Being realistic, he'll never change his cap strategy, for better or worse, so I'm not even thinking about that.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

The results in the 2 best Ballard seasons are 1 wild card win. 

Yes, press conference semantics aside, Ballard is 54-60-1 in seven seasons with no division titles. That is what is relevant.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think his answer to that was basically a version of 'we were on the right track, and then the QB drama started, and now I think we're on the right track again.' And he threw in a comment about how all that matters is whether you win, so ultimately either it works or it doesn't, and that's how he'll be judged.

Well... lets see... (just an additional question - how much time does Ballard get to see success with his new team and new QB?)

Regarding his views, there are a few things I would like to see him do differently. But I think he should be judged on the results, not on the basis of whether he does things the way I think he should.

I usually am of the opinion that if you have a good process and good philosophy the results will ultimately come. So ... in the short term, I'm very process oriented and I do have serious disagreements with Ballard there(although, I do have some things I agree with him about too). And in the long-term the results will be a mirror for your process and whether you are doing a good job. So far the results are very mediocre. 

And several of the things I've wanted him to address have been addressed -- I feel good about the WR room and the pass rush potential. We'll see what Bradley does, but that's really the last thing I'm hopeful for. (Being realistic, he'll never change his cap strategy, for better or worse, so I'm not even thinking about that.)

I don't feel good about the WR room. I feel hopeful... but most of my hopes fall on 2nd round rookie and those bust all the time(especially the ones I loved in the pre-draft process). I think he continues to hammer the trenches. And he thinks his trenches are the best they have ever been so... lets see if they truly are or not. And he continues to underestimate the problems this secondary will give us... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

What did you want or expect?

Just once I would like to go into a season where holds have been addressed and we can say heck yeah we are a good team. But every year something is missing and st the end of the year Ballard has to apologize. I am really at the point I don’t care anymore because it’s easy to predict what will happen. Ballard had since the spring to fix the secondary. He did nothing. It’s the only weak spot on the team. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well... lets see... 

I usually am of the opinion that if you have a good process and good philosophy the results will ultimately come. So ... in the short term, I'm very process oriented and I do have serious disagreements with Ballard there(although, I do have some things I agree with him about too). And in the long-term the results will be a mirror for your process and whether you are doing a good job. So far the results are very mediocre. 

I don't feel good about the WR room. I feel hopeful... but most of my hopes fall on 2nd round rookie and those bust all the time(especially the ones I loved in the pre-draft process). I think he continues to hammer the trenches. And he thinks his trenches are the best they have ever been so... lets see if they truly are or not. And he continues to underestimate the problems this secondary will give us... 

I think it makes sense to split the 'results' conversation into two parts. There's before 2023, and after 2023. And it's fine to judge Ballard on his entire record, but it seems like a moot point when we know there was a significant reset last season. So the question to begin with -- basically, why aren't you fired yet -- is ignoring the context. Right or wrong, Irsay decided to keep him and let him reset, and now it makes sense to acknowledge the situation from Irsay's perspective.

On the WR room, they drafted a dynamic movement guy who has an amazing catch radius. I think that's new. Whether the player pans out or not, I think they have more potential in the room than they have in a long time.

The secondary is what it is. Some people think the players aren't good enough, I think the scheme undermines anyone's ability to perform at a high level. That doesn't mean I love the talent, though. Either way, the pass defense needs to be powered by the pass rush, and they've taken steps to make that into a more realistic possibility this season. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just once I would like to go into a season where holds have been addressed and we can say heck yeah we are a good team. But every year something is missing and st the end of the year Ballard has to apologize. I am really at the point I don’t care anymore because it’s easy to predict what will happen. Ballard had since the spring to fix the secondary. He did nothing. It’s the only weak spot on the team. 

Ok.  Let’s see how the secondary matures from last year.  The only thing that bugged me from today’s press event was that hat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Ok.  Let’s see how the secondary matures from last year.  The only thing that bugged me from today’s press event was that hat.

I really like that hat...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I am more concerned with the depth. If Brent’s and Blackmon get hurt we are in trouble. I am ok giving jones another shy because you expect improvement from year one to two. I do not like any of our free safeties and the depth behind them is even worse. Ballard rarely goes out and gets people who can help. Well Bradley is his last scale goat. Not many left. When he sits there and says I am not changing and doesn’t care if he gets fired there is something wrong with that.

When is he going to stop with this position group is young and actually fix it. Every year he used this as a excuse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think it makes sense to split the 'results' conversation into two parts. There's before 2023, and after 2023. And it's fine to judge Ballard on his entire record, but it seems like a moot point when we know there was a significant reset last season. So the question to begin with -- basically, why aren't you fired yet -- is ignoring the context. Right or wrong, Irsay decided to keep him and let him reset, and now it makes sense to acknowledge the situation from Irsay's perspective.

On the WR room, they drafted a dynamic movement guy who has an amazing catch radius. I think that's new. Whether the player pans out or not, I think they have more potential in the room than they have in a long time.

The secondary is what it is. Some people think the players aren't good enough, I think the scheme undermines anyone's ability to perform at a high level. That doesn't mean I love the talent, though. Either way, the pass defense needs to be powered by the pass rush, and they've taken steps to make that into a more realistic possibility this season. 

The only year I give him a pass on is 2019. This is something you just cannot predict and cannot recover from in 2 weeks. He is still responsible for his decisions between 2020 and 2023. The before 2023 includes Rivers, includes Wentz, includes Matt Ryan! This is all Ballard's decisions(with a pinch of Reich)! So yeah... you can argue he really has had 3 periods with the Colts... the Andrew Luck Colts(you can argue it was 3 year, only 1 of which Luck actually played), the post-Luck wandering(Rivers, Wentz, Ryan) and the AR era... How many GMs get to pick 4 QBs for their team and keep their job with a single playoff appearance and without a single playoff win? 

But since Irsay let him keep his job, I'm content with waiting it out and seeing how AR pans out. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The man told you quite some time ago that he liked his corners but we needed improved safety play. For some odd reason you think the only way to do that is to get new players.  Ballard fixed the problem by moving Blackmon to FS and Cross to SS. Really in my estimation they both have the ability to do whatever depending on the matchup. Sometimes you will find Blackmon at SS and Cross at FS. Other times you will find Cross at SS and Blackmon at Free. You really should say you don't like how he went about fixing the issue. I'm sure next you will talk about depth. For me I'm fine with Rodney Thomas as the backup FS. That's not that bad. I noticed no problems with him during preseason. It's not likely that both Cross and Blackmon will be injured simultaneously. It's likely they will bring Harrison back for SS. It's possible it could be someone else they like more. Most teams backups are a step or two below the starters. You're ringing the alarm as if we have a full fledge fire going on.

You can be stubborn sometimes as well you know! Remember you fought the forum the entire offseason about getting Will Levis over AR bc Will was more pro ready. No more experiments is what you said. It was the only way to fix the problem to you. Thankfully Ballard didn't listen! Now you love AR. There's more than one way to address a problem.

• Like 3

I didn't see the press conference so I don't know everything that was said. But I would have liked to have seen the question, What specifically do you like about your guys in the secondary, the starters and the reserves? What are their strengths and capabilities? And what do they need to improve? 

Others probably know how to ask this better than I do, but I'd like some details about why he feels good enough about the DB situation the way it is. Very general statements like, "We like our guys" and "He had some good moments last season" are part of the reason my confidence in the current situation is shaky.  The idea that because they are young, they will improve adequately isn't enough. That often doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he's tied to Richardson. 

So...lets say we get to 9-8 and we miss the playoffs... does he keep his job? How good does AR need to be for him to keep his job?

Lets say we miss the playoffs again at 9-8 the following year too... does he keep his job? 

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

The only year I give him a pass on is 2019. This is something you just cannot predict and cannot recover from in 2 weeks. He is still responsible for his decisions between 2020 and 2023. The before 2023 includes Rivers, includes Wentz, includes Matt Ryan! This is all Ballard's decisions(with a pinch of Reich)! So yeah... you can argue he really has had 3 periods with the Colts... the Andrew Luck Colts(you can argue it was 3 year, only 1 of which Luck actually played), the post-Luck wandering(Rivers, Wentz, Ryan) and the AR era... How many GMs get to pick 4 QBs for their team and keep their job with a single playoff appearance and without a single playoff win? 

But since Irsay let him keep his job, I'm content with waiting it out and seeing how AR pans out. 

Rivers played well, why are you marking that against him? I fault the Colts for not drafting a QB that year, but I think it's pretty obvious why they did what they did at QB in those years, and 'a pinch of Reich' seems like enough of an understatement for me to just say that it's dead wrong.

Again, acknowledge Irsay's perspective. He was part of the conversation in 2020 when they decided to sign Rivers and trade away their first rounder; he was in the room when they decided to trade for Wentz (and he was part of the conversation when Reich apologized for the Wentz acquisition). Who do you think Irsay holds responsible for the QB decisions from 2020 to 2022? I think his actions make it obvious.

But yeah, this conversation is more 'why wasn't Ballard fired a couple years ago,' and less 'why is he still here today'. I would not have been upset with Ballard being let go after 2022. I think we should move past it at this point, but people just want to go '54-60-1, no division titles, one playoff win, he should be fired.' I don't think that's a real conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

So...lets say we get to 9-8 and we miss the playoffs... does he keep his job? How good does AR need to be for him to keep his job?

Lets say we miss the playoffs again at 9-8 the following year too... does he keep his job? 

I think we'd have to melt down dramatically in 2024 for Ballard to go anywhere. Realistically, the question is about how things look in 2025, and whether we're getting ready to extend Richardson, or looking for his replacement. 

We all understand that QB is the biggest force multiplier in team sports. And many of us think Richardson has the potential to be a franchise QB. If we see that coming to fruition over the next two seasons, I don't think Ballard is going anywhere unless he decides to resign. 

If the team is limping along to 9-8/9-8, Richardson is struggling, etc., then it's a different story. 

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

The man told you quite some time ago that he liked his corners but we needed improved safety play. For some odd reason you think the only way to do that is to get new players.  Ballard fixed the problem by moving Blackmon to FS and Cross to SS. Really in my estimation they both have the ability to do whatever depending on the matchup. Sometimes you will find Blackmon at SS and Cross at FS. Other times you will find Cross at SS and Blackmon at Free. You really should say you don't like how he went about fixing the issue. You can be stubborn sometimes as well you know! Remember you fought the forum the entire offseason about getting Will Levis over AR bc Will was more pro ready. No more experiments is what you said. It was the only way to fix the problem to you. Thankfully Ballard didn't listen! Now you love AR. There's more than one way to address a problem.

When your safeties are in year three yes. Sis you see who the backup safeties are? It’s bad. There is no insurance in case cross and Thomas are bad again. Remember how we got McLeod? He was insurance and ended up having to be the starter. There was a ton of safeties on the market that could have at least provided some insurance. I hope they play well but the chances of Brent’s and Blackmon staying injury free is small. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

With a whole bunch Reich!! Reich even apologized for wanting him and pounding the table for him. Ballard's worst decision was ever hiring Reich and Irsay had a lot to do with that decision.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

The man told you quite some time ago that he liked his corners but we needed improved safety play. For some odd reason you think the only way to do that is to get new players.  Ballard fixed the problem by moving Blackmon to FS and Cross to SS. Really in my estimation they both have the ability to do whatever depending on the matchup. Sometimes you will find Blackmon at SS and Cross at FS. Other times you will find Cross at SS and Blackmon at Free. You really should say you don't like how he went about fixing the issue. You can be stubborn sometimes as well you know! Remember you fought the forum the entire offseason about getting Will Levis over AR bc Will was more pro ready. No more experiments is what you said. It was the only way to fix the problem to you. Thankfully Ballard didn't listen! Now you love AR. There's more than one way to address a problem.

These are the same tunes we were hearing about the OL going into 2023. Now everyone feels like OL is one of the best positions on the roster, and Raimann looks like a good LT, even though everyone would have given up on him after a rough rookie season. 

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

These are the same tunes we were hearing about the OL going into 2023. Now everyone feels like OL is one of the best positions on the roster, and Raimann looks like a good LT, even though everyone would have given up on him after a rough rookie season. 

The Oline had a lot of proven vets on it. Totally different then unproven secondary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree with Supe - it's tied to AR and there is a lot in a record. I don't think there's any (real) risk for Ballard to get fired after this season. I think the Colts want to see a better AR from season start to season end.

Now, after 2025 and AR doesn't look any (or very little) better than he does now I think his seat is steaming hot. Doesn't matter if we go 4-13 or 13-4 - a lot can happen and injuries can derail a season for any team.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The Oline had a lot of proven vets on it. Totally different then unproven secondary.

The OL was terrible in 2022, and much better in 2023, and a big part of that is the development of a young player. 

Kenny Moore and Julian Blackmon are good vets, not unproven players. They drafted Brents and Jones last year. Flowers was hurt and is coming back. They like Cross (three weeks ago, everyone was acting like Cross couldn't tie his own shoes; he had a solid preseason, and now you're all yelling about corners). The strategy is obvious. If it doesn't work out, drag Ballard all offseason. 

But, knowing the strategy, why not wait and see what happens? Trust me, the overwhelming objection of fans and the media is noted by all.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When your safeties are in gear three yes. Sis you see who the backup safeties are? It’s bad. There is no insurance in case cross and Thomas are bad again. Remember how we got McLeod? He was insurance and ended up having to be the starter. There was a ton of safeties on the market that could have at least provided some insurance. I hope they play well but the chances of Brent’s and Blackmon staying injury free is small. 

What did Zaire Franklin look like in year 2 as a backup? EJ Speed? Neither one of them looked that good. I think you're playing too hard on that year 2 and 3 stuff. Yeah I'm saying the same about Thomas as well. I think he will do better as a back up than a full time starter.  You shouldn't just throw young players in the trash like that. It can take a couple years sometimes

Just now, krunk said:

What did Zaire Franklin look like in year 2 as a backup? EJ Speed? Neither one of them looked that good. I think you're playing too hard on that year 2 and 3 stuff. Yeah I'm saying the same about Thomas as well. I think he will do better as a back up than a full time starter.  You shouldn't just throw young players in the trash like that. It can take a couple years sometimes

I'm okay with Rodney Thomas as a swing safety backup and STs player. I'm not thrilled with him starting 15 games and playing 960 defensive snaps. We'll see how that goes, though.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rivers played well, why are you marking that against him? I fault the Colts for not drafting a QB that year, but I think it's pretty obvious why they did what they did at QB in those years, and 'a pinch of Reich' seems like enough of an understatement for me to just say that it's dead wrong.

It's not about whether Rivers was good for the Colts or not(he was good). It's about long-term plans and strategy. Ballard is on the record that they were seriously considering drafting a QB that year before they struck a deal with Rivers. I think once Rivers was on board, drafting a QB high was never really an option... and that's why we traded the pick. So yeah... this is another decision Ballard is responsible for. Even with Rivers playing well, I still think it was the wrong decision. 

Again, acknowledge Irsay's perspective. He was part of the conversation in 2020 when they decided to sign Rivers and trade away their first rounder; he was in the room when they decided to trade for Wentz (and he was part of the conversation when Reich apologized for the Wentz acquisition). Who do you think Irsay holds responsible for the QB decisions from 2020 to 2022? I think his actions make it obvious.

I don't care who Irsay holds responsible. I care about who SHOULD be responsible. Ballard is the GM. He IS responsible. And if he isn't, then why is he the GM? (this is not to strip any blame from Reich... he bears his own responsibility for that endorsement, too). BTW Irsay is on the record that he wanted us to draft a QB right away , the first year after Luck retired. 

But yeah, this conversation is more 'why wasn't Ballard fired a couple years ago,' and less 'why is he still here today'. I would not have been upset with Ballard being let go after 2022. I think we should move past it at this point, but people just want to go '54-60-1, no division titles, one playoff win, he should be fired.' I don't think that's a real conversation.

My biggest problem is not with the results, my biggest problem is with his philosophy and it has been for a while now. If I believed in what he's selling I would have much easier time overlooking and excusing some of the shortcomings when it comes to results. That's why I really wanted the answer to that question to touch on why what he believes in should be what WE/I believe in. Because any particular mediocre season is just... one season. But what is constant and what keeps happening is the way he build his team and the same mistakes he keeps making again and again and again. So I wanted to hear why what he's doing is the right thing to do for this team? Because there are no indications that anything in his approach will change... so why should we believe anything in the results will change? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think maybe you misheard some of his answer. I don't remember hearing anything about a 4 win season being good. He said the 2021 team was good, and the way the season ended was unfortunate.

What I think he was saying -- in response to 'why should people believe you're the right guy for the job' -- is 'we built a good team in the first four years, and we know what happened with the QBs and how it ended, so if you want evidence that we can build a good team, I'll stand on the quality of those rosters.' Then he said they don't like missing the playoffs three years in a row, but they felt like they were right there last year, and they feel good about this year. 

And then he made his comment about believing in himself, the people around him, and the way they do things. And he thinks it's important to have strong beliefs, and not waver just because of what other people are saying and how they react. (I happen to completely agree with this concept. I might not share all of his beliefs on roster building, but he's absolutely right that it's important to stick to foundational principles. And I think the biggest critics of team management are highly reactionary and not interested in what actually happens around the league.) So if sticking to his beliefs gets him fired, then it gets him fired. In other words, I'm not going to compromise my beliefs to try to save my job. 

To some of you, that translated into 'I will never change my mind about anything because I'm hopelessly stubborn and unyielding.' And if that's what you heard, I think you missed the point.

Exactly. Some say he is stuck in his philosophy, but he isn't stuck in the philosophy, imo. He's been stuck in qb purgatory and working to get out, while also building up what his main philosophy is which is the trenches. He's said that was priority from day 1, has stuck with it, and continued working to get to this point, which is the best trenches we've had in his tenure. He's worked to get a better receiving room, it's taken time and their success will largely be on qb play. Being stuck in your way would be having Carson Wentz and Frank Reich still handling things and thinking it's going to lead to a different outcome. That's obviously not the case at all. The moves have been there. It's time for the team to make a leap. And if he gets fired for his philosophy and unwavering belief in the franchise, then I hope the next guy isn't a total disaster when they panic after a few years of the same (or worse) results and dramatically alter their approach, which generally doesn't lead to anything good...

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm okay with Rodney Thomas as a swing safety backup and STs player. I'm not thrilled with him starting 15 games and playing 960 defensive snaps. We'll see how that goes, though.

Hopefully we won't have to see him start that many games if an injury happens.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The OL was terrible in 2022, and much better in 2023, and a big part of that is the development of a young player. 

Kenny Moore and Julian Blackmon are good vets, not unproven players. They drafted Brents and Jones last year. Flowers was hurt and is coming back. They like Cross (three weeks ago, everyone as acting like Cross couldn't tie his own shoes; he had a solid preseason, and now you're all yelling about corners). The strategy is obvious. If it doesn't work out, drag Ballard all offseason. 

But, knowing the strategy, why not wait and see what happens? Trust me, the overwhelming objection of fans and the media is noted by all.

We didn't do much with the OL that year after we drafted Raimann other than hire Sparano and maybe something else so I'm sure Chloe was beating the war drums then as well. Turns out Ballard made the right calls to remedy the situation. He's not always right but he's right enough most of the time in my estimation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

We didn't do much with the OL that year after we drafted Raimann other than hire Sparano and maybe something else so I'm sure Chloe was beating the war drums then as well. Turns out Ballard made the right calls to remedy the situation. He's not always right but he's right enough most of the time in my estimation.

Nope. The difference was most of the Oline starters were proven vets. It was  was just an off year.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

My biggest problem is not with the results, my biggest problem is with his philosophy and it has been for a while now. If I believed in what he's selling I would have much easier time overlooking and excusing some of the shortcomings when it comes to results. That's why I really wanted the answer to that question to touch on why what he believes in should be what WE/I believe in. Because any particular mediocre season is just... one season. But what is constant and what keeps happening is the way he build his team and the same mistakes he keeps making again and again and again. So I wanted to hear why what he's doing is the right thing to do for this team? Because there are no indications that anything in his approach will change... so why should we believe anything in the results will change? 

His approach won't change. You say the way he builds the team and same mistakes keep happening... that is measured directly by the results you say you don't have a problem with, no? If they were winning more, you would still have the same issue with the way the team was being built? 

What if the way he is building the team is the right way for this franchise because it's what the owner hired him and has retained him through 7 seasons for? It's still amazing to me how many ignore the clear logic behind drafting, developing and retaining your own as the primary source for roster building and pound the table for a Colts gm (regardless of who) to go against the very clear franchise desire for that type of roster... It's not going to happen- not with Ballard and not with anyone in the future. They tried a change with Grigson to build that way around Luck and it failed. Indianapolis is a small market that is not going to compete directly with other markets in free agency, unless they become the San Antonio Spurs type of consistent championship team, and at that point, you especially wouldn't change the philosophy that got you there. The results will change when the roster develops enough to make the plays necessary to win titles. Whether under this gm or the next.

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's not about whether Rivers was good for the Colts or not(he was good). It's about long-term plans and strategy. Ballard is on the record that they were seriously considering drafting a QB that year before they struck a deal with Rivers. I think once Rivers was on board, drafting a QB high was never really an option... and that's why we traded the pick. So yeah... this is another decision Ballard is responsible for. Even with Rivers playing well, I still think it was the wrong decision. 

They traded for Buckner the day before free agency, so technically it was before they signed Rivers. But yeah, I think the strategy had been formed. And I agree that it was not the right decision, but it's at least understandable. They felt like their window was opening, and they wanted a proven QB. Not what I would have done, not what I wanted them to do at the time, but I get it. I don't think it's malpractice.

I don't care who Irsay holds responsible. I care about who SHOULD be responsible. Ballard is the GM. He IS responsible. And if he isn't, then why is he the GM? (this is not to strip any blame from Reich... he bears his own responsibility for that endorsement, too). 

This seems like fanatical venting.

It's fine to say that the GM is responsible for personnel decisions, including the QB, so Ballard is at fault for how they handled the QB decision. No objection from me. But look at what happened, how it happened, who was involved, and then examine the fallout. Irsay couldn't get rid of Reich fast enough, and then he doubled down on Ballard. And the first offseason after Reich was gone, they drafted a QB. Even if you think that's evidence of dysfunction, again, I won't object. But it's moot now. Irsay blamed Reich, Reich is gone, and Ballard is now being evaluated on a different basis than he was prior to 2023. I don't see the point in continuing to dig up the bodies.

I don't have any beef with that. But I don't think that's the question he was asked. 

Actually, I guess I do have a small beef with it. We already know the answer to that question. He believes in building through the draft, developing your own guys, and then paying them when they've earned it. He thinks OL/DL is so much more valuable than anything else (other than QB), and he builds his roster with an emphasis on the trenches, leaving perimeter positions to be auxiliary. With regard to defensive philosophy, he believes a zone based defense with a good pass rush is the most efficient way to build a defense, and that it's good enough to be a winning team if the defense can complement the offense. And on cap strategy, he believes in being disciplined with both contract structure and value, and would rather have steady cap projections than the drastic fluctuations that come with being more aggressive. 

I don't think there's anything new for him to say about any of this. We know his beliefs, and we know why. In some cases, we don't agree with him. But he's not going to sit down for a 60 Minutes style interview and get pressed on these matters, and even if he did, he's not going to change his core beliefs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was pretty critical of Will Fries and wanted someone else. Fries had a pretty good year.