Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney and Mathis

with Dwight Freeney going into the Hall of Fame this weekend. I decided to go back and look at his career numbers, and then I looked at Mathis. His what these two players accomplished.

Sacks including playoffs 266 

Forced Fumbles 102

it always amazes me that with Peyton Manning Harrison, Wayne, Clark  James that we didn’t win more Super Bowls. Looking back on it I’m happy we got the one and we should have gotten the second against New Orleans. But just want to focus on those two for those of us that watch those games. It was magical two of the best ever in NFL history.

• Like 5

Winning Super Bowls are hard, especially when you aren’t playing against a level playing field.  Pats fans won’t like that but they got caught cheating a lot and that’s just the stuff we know about.  I seriously doubt they only did the stuff they got caught doing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2024 at 5:36 AM, Goatface Killah said:

It just shows you how hard it is to win a SuperBowl.

It wasn't for one team in that era. Just unfortunate timing to go against the best QB HC combo in history. Though KC seems to be taking offense to that - I'd say they've about pulled even to walsh/Montana 

On 8/2/2024 at 7:57 AM, indyagent17 said:

with Dwight Freeney going into the Hall of Fame this weekend. I decided to go back and look at his career numbers, and then I looked at Mathis. His what these two players accomplished.

Sacks including playoffs 266 

Forced Fumbles 102

it always amazes me that with Peyton Manning Harrison, Wayne, Clark  James that we didn’t win more Super Bowls. Looking back on it I’m happy we got the one and we should have gotten the second against New Orleans. But just want to focus on those two for those of us that watch those games. It was magical two of the best ever in NFL history.

We probably should have won 2 or 3. The misses were 2005 and 2009, we did make it in 2009 at least. The Peyton Colts played in an era when the AFC was stacked. You had the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, and Chargers. All those teams were loaded. The Chargers were the team that missed out and never won 1. They were great in 2006, 2007, and 2009. Ravens won in 2000 and were great that whole decade. Pats and Steelers were a pain in the rear the whole decade and won multiple SBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IinD said:

D.Free getting inducted into HOF at noon on BSPN :D in case anyone forgot.

I'm watching on NFL Network. There is a delay. They are showing how the players learned that they were elected into the NFL HoF.

I always liked Freeney, a Syracuse product. He was Coach Dungy's first pick. I recalled Mike Golic being a huge fan of Freeney in college. Some folks thought the Colts should have drafted someone else.

Congratulations to Dwight!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I'm watching on NFL Network. There is a delay. They are showing how the players learned that they were elected into the NFL HoF.

I always liked Freeney, a Syracuse product. He was Coach Dungy's first pick. I recalled Mike Golic being a huge fan of Freeney in college. Some folks thought the Colts should have drafted someone else.

He is on my Mt Rushmore of Indianapolis Colts players and if Baltimore is included he still is.

Indianapolis Mt Rushmore:

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Dwight Freeney

Reggie Wayne

Baltimore and Indianapolis combined:

Peyton Manning

Johnny Unitas

Marvin Harrison

Dwight Freeney

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Good memory! Yes, some pundits thought he was undersized for the position and shouldn't have been picked that high. I wasn't one and I am glad they were wrong.

• Like 2

Just watched the video of every Freeney sack. He got to quite a few QB’s in in his career but all I can say is poor Matt Schaub. Seems he got to him frequently. 

• Like 1

Best memory I have where freeney was in on a play was the Rosencopter play….freeney wasn’t the one who caused it but he was right there wreaking havoc with Raheem Brock on that play.

Mathis and Freeney were absolutely GAME CHANGERS! Just that simple.

• Like 1