Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard presser at noon with player pressers

I don’t blame the Colts for not extending Kelly. I know it’s not all his fault but he misses to many games. Also I’m concerned about the amount of concussions he had in a short amount of time.

• Like 2

I don't know how these co-ordinators ever go to sleep at night knowing that there are still things to fix, still players that are not on the right page.

All these young men trying to meet the Super Bowl level.

31 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I don’t blame the Colts for not extending Kelly. I know it’s not all his fault but he misses to many games. Also I’m concerned about the amount of concussions he had in a short amount of time.

They probably want to see what they drafted this year too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Actually, there are only about 5 really good proven centers and Kelly is one of them. If you look at their records, I suppose because they are getting hammered play after play in huge scrums, centers regularly miss 1-2 games per season. Kelly has been 2-3. 

Kelly suffered an elbow injury a bout 3 years ago, played through it, and unfortunately for about a season and a half,, it really affected his ability to control his opponents. Logically, it seriously affected his ability to weight lift. A concept over the head of so many of our posters.

Healthy once again last season, he was a really solid player again.

We can't pay him because of Q, Smith, and the impending monster contract that Raimann will get. Only so much pie to go around. Thank you for your service.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He’s very aware and his answer is what I expected.  

Same. He gave an honest answer. He didn't try to hide it. Now the question is, if the secondary struggles, will Ballard sign a FA or not? 

18 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Same. He gave an honest answer. He didn't try to hide it. Now the question is, if the secondary struggles, will Ballard sign a FA or not? 

I think the answer remains the same:  Ballard isn't going to sign a guy just because he has "FS" next to his name and can run in a straight line.  We already have guys who can do that.  He'll only do it if [a] he's better than the guy we're forced to play, and [b] if the price is right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, John.  That will probably be the best 20 minutes of my day!    Good stuff. 

Let me know your impressions. I thought it was pretty boilerplate, for the most part.

He ran down some of the expected position battles, I thought that was interesting, but it wasn't anything new, mostly what people here have been saying all offseason. Swing tackle, every DB position other than nickel and SS, RB2, crowded TE room... 

He also reinforced what he's been saying about safety. 

On 7/24/2024 at 1:32 PM, Superman said:

Let me know your impressions. I thought it was pretty boilerplate, for the most part.

He ran down some of the expected position battles, I thought that was interesting, but it wasn't anything new, mostly what people here have been saying all offseason. Swing tackle, every DB position other than nickel and SS, RB2, crowded TE room... 

He also reinforced what he's been saying about safety. 

Im sorry, I’m behind schedule responding to your request.   A few unexpected things came up. 

I’ll do my best.   Very long post ahead! 

Even when Ballard is boilerplate,  I still find him endlessly fascinating.  He just doesn’t sound like any GM I interviewed or listened to in my 30 years of doing just that.   I think he’s more candid than most,  gives more revealing info,  I just find him very refreshing.  

When I listened to CB, obviously I always try to hear what he’s says, but also to what he doesn’t say.  Sometimes I find that revealing.  

Here, in no particular order, are the things that jumped out at me.   Once again, he heaped praise on Jim Bob Cooter.  Is that the 3rd time?  Or 4th?   Combine that with Taylor’s comment in the last few days saying JBC does more X’s and O’s than any coach he’s ever seen and I was very happy.  It’s my growing suspicion that this coaching staff is far superior to any staff Frank ever had and I thought Frank had some pretty good staffs.   As many have said, feels like we finally have a 21st century offense.  Watching last season almost every week I’d find myself saying…. “I’ve never seen that from the Colts before.”

I liked when Ballard gave shout outs to his tight end room.  Named 6 or 7 guys by name, all very complimentary, but I don’t believe Ogletree was one of them.  Are the Colts still waiting on a ruling from the NFL or has that come?   And if it has come, are we then waiting for final decision from Irsay?  Because I think CB and SS really like Ogletree and want him on the team.  

I thought Ballard was barely able to contain himself about the offense he has built.  That was as confident as I think he’s ever been.   And he practically gagged himself about how good Taylor is and the kind of year he will have.  I think he really likes his new and very improved wide receiver room.  He gushed over how good he thinks Josh Downs is. 

The boilerplate comments that stuck with me are his core beliefs about the importance of both lines, that’s how good teams win.   And with what he added this off-season I’d say mission accomplished.  

There wasn’t as much talk about the defense.   He’s impressed with how far EJ Speed has come from Nowhere State-Tech A&M.  Thought Blackman had a very good year, one of his best.   Said a few nice things about some depth players.  

Ballard also tossed out some red meat for the fans about wanting to reach the playoffs and preferably win the division and reminded how close we were last year.  Smart play, but I understand if you think of that as boilerplate. 

And that about covers the bases for me.  Hope I gave you what you were looking for?  I’m here if you have questions, although the day may get busy in the afternoon, then in the evening the opening ceremonies of the Olympics will likely get our attention. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I liked when Ballard gave shout outs to his tight end room.  Named 6 or 7 guys by name, all very complimentary, but I don’t believe Ogletree was one of them.  Are the Colts still waiting on a ruling from the NFL or has that come?   And if it has come, are we then waiting for final decision from Irsay?  Because I think CB and SS really like Ogletree and want him on the team.  

He named Ogletree. He didn't name Jordan Murray. I think it was reported back before the draft that Ogletree is clear, and there's nothing coming from the NFL.

In general, I agree with you about Ballard. He's candid and sincere (IMO), and he means what he says, so it's not just coachspeak all the time. Yeah, he might play the game and dance around some things, but he's not just spitting out platitudes because he has to spend 20 minutes with the media. So I always listen to his comments and pressers.

When I said boilerplate, I really just meant I didn't think there was anything that I would consider newsworthy, aside from the injury news. And that's fine, I wasn't expecting anything significant.

You might be right that he's a lot more excited about the offense than the defense. And that makes sense, I think there's some potential for real excitement on offense. Obviously that starts with Richardson, but we have a lot of talented young players, a good OL, and a really good RB. The offense could be really good, and probably needs to be for this team to make some real noise. Because the defense, while solid, has some concerns. Of course, we drafted some talented players and made some staff changes, and there will be plenty of competition, like Ballard said.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Good insights.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 2:12 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

interesting

that definitely sounds like he was going to say should and caught himself.