Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 Post Draft Updated Roster + Cap Space Discussion Thread

w87r

9 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I have a feeling he will be worth it too. Expected him to be drafted. Underrated pick up imo. 

We need LBers that can cover and play SPT, so if he shows he can do that, he should have a decent shot at the LB5/6 spot:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

I see Young and Tucker having a good chance to make the roster. I would almost bet on it if they keep 6 and 10. 

I was thinking the same.  IIRC, Tucker was a top 30 invite pre draft.

With Kwity Paye's option being picked up, have us at around $70m in cap space currently. ($20m rollover)

I have us with about $29m to rollover after final roster, practice squad and in season spending takes place. Without any FA moves.

Every multi-year deal will be a double hit to the cap, this year and next, the rest of the offseason.

So for instance, if we signed Q Diggs to a 2yrs $16m(just throwing out numbers). That would essentially be all $16m coming out of the $70m, this year,  reducing rollover amounts, next year + reduced rollover amount from this year + next year's money.

Really expect any move we make, if we make one, will only be a 1yr deal, which still takes that $70m down out of the rollover.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Is this true? If so they should still have room for a safety and lower end vet CB.  

I actually have us about $26m after draft picks are signed.

Then:(not till final cut downs)

$2.5m - practice squad

$3m - final top 53 adjustments 

$9m - in season spending cash

Leaves $11.5m is expendable FA funds.

I don't think they are in a big hurry. Longer they wait the more the price goes down. 

Only 3 big needs:(well 4)

Vet S - always good ones on the market throughout the season

Vet CB - plenty of options out there currently 

Vet RB - same as safety, you can usually find a guy at any point in the season.

(4)Coverage LB - but pretty sure we won't be signing one of those, just need couple of these rookies to fill the role.(Carlies, Young)

• Like 1

I wonder if Simmons and Diggs will wait until after training camp to sign.  The older veterans will probably try to avoid it and teams could lose players in training camp opening other possibilities.  I don’t remember when we signed Gilmore.  Before or after?  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if Simmons and Diggs will wait until after training camp to sign.  The older veterans will probably try to avoid it and teams could lose players in training camp opening other possibilities.  I don’t remember when we signed Gilmore.  Before or after?  

Before 

• Thanks 1

https://atozsports.com/indianapolis/colts-former-1st-round-pick-malik-hooker-brother-marcus-udfa-rookie-minicamp/

"Marcus Hooker spent his first four college seasons at Ohio State and had 32 total tackles, five pass deflections, and one interception during his time as a Buckeye. In 2022, he transferred to Youngstown State, where he spent his final two collegiate seasons. He recorded 70 total tackles, six pass deflections, and three interceptions there. Marcus is 5'10" and 198 lbs and participated at Ohio State's Pro Day this year"

UDFA:

QB - Kedon Slovis, BYU

QB - Jason Bean, Kansas

K - Spencer Shrader, Notre Dame

WR - Xavier White, Texas Tech 

RB - Trent Pennix, North Carolina State 

OG - Dalton Tucker, Marshall 

DT - Isaiah Coe, Oklahoma

LB - Craig Young, Kansas

Tryout:

DT - Jeblonski Green, South Carolina State 

TE - Malcolm Epps, Pittsburgh

OT - Jake Hornirook, Duke

RB - Justin Strong, Southern Illinois 

LS - Michael Vinson, Notre Dame 

OC - Jake Kradel, Pittsburgh 

OL - Aidan Hemphill, Texas Southern 

DB - Brandon Bishop, Liberty 

OT - Daniel Johnson, Purdue 

DB - Marcus Hooker, Youngstown State(Malik's little brother) 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:44 AM, Scott Pennock said:

@w87r

Our hunch was right........he's listed as a RB! Ha!

Screenshot 2024-05-10 014203.jpg

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/11/udfas-jason-bean-trent-pennix-provide-colts-with-unique-versatility/

Good article:

"Colts’ undrafted rookies Trent Pennix and Jason Bean bring very unique skill sets to the offensive side of the football.

“They both have versatility,” said Shane Steichen. “Pennix is a bigger guy at the running back position. Bean’s a real athletic guy that can run and make some plays. Obviously, we will have to keep diving into it and see how we use them.”"

And side bar: 

Here is an article for.the other UDFA favorite 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/10/colts-rookie-minicamp-preview-udfa-lb-craig-young/

"Breakdown: Young began his college career at Ohio State before transferring to Kansas for the final two. In total, he appeared in 49 games, including 24 starts, with the majority of his playing time coming at Kansas. Young adds more coverage abilities to the linebacker position for the Colts, with 933 of his career snaps coming from the slot, according to PFF, and has totaled two interceptions and five pass breakups during the previous two years. Young has been a very reliable tackler, missing only nine of his 108 total attempts. On special teams, Young played 352 total snaps across five different units. According to Aaron Wilson, the Colts gave Young a $20,000 signing bonus and $40,000 guaranteed.

From the Topeka Capital-Journal: “A versatile linebacker, he proved he could be reliable in a number of different roles. Whatever position he plays in the NFL, he has the athleticism to make plays.”"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 5:38 PM, w87r said:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/11/udfas-jason-bean-trent-pennix-provide-colts-with-unique-versatility/

Good article:

"Colts’ undrafted rookies Trent Pennix and Jason Bean bring very unique skill sets to the offensive side of the football.

“They both have versatility,” said Shane Steichen. “Pennix is a bigger guy at the running back position. Bean’s a real athletic guy that can run and make some plays. Obviously, we will have to keep diving into it and see how we use them.”"

And side bar: 

Here is an article for.the other UDFA favorite 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2024/05/10/colts-rookie-minicamp-preview-udfa-lb-craig-young/

"Breakdown: Young began his college career at Ohio State before transferring to Kansas for the final two. In total, he appeared in 49 games, including 24 starts, with the majority of his playing time coming at Kansas. Young adds more coverage abilities to the linebacker position for the Colts, with 933 of his career snaps coming from the slot, according to PFF, and has totaled two interceptions and five pass breakups during the previous two years. Young has been a very reliable tackler, missing only nine of his 108 total attempts. On special teams, Young played 352 total snaps across five different units. According to Aaron Wilson, the Colts gave Young a $20,000 signing bonus and $40,000 guaranteed.

From the Topeka Capital-Journal: “A versatile linebacker, he proved he could be reliable in a number of different roles. Whatever position he plays in the NFL, he has the athleticism to make plays.”"

I believe they will have both on the 53-Man displacing current rostered folks such as Sermon or Goodson (in Pennix case) and any of McGrone, Stuard or Olubi in Young's case. Both have a very clear path of who they can replace. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

I believe they will have both on the 53-Man displacing current rostered folks such as Sermon or Goodson (in Pennix case) and any of McGrone, Stuard or Olubi in Young's case. Both have a very clear path of who they can replace. 

Agreed.

Pennix is a swiss army knife, a big one at that.

Young has to be an improvement in coverage over those guys listed. Can be have just as much of a SPT impact? If so, he probably has a good shot at a spot.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Agreed.

Pennix is a swiss army knife, a big one at that.

Young has to be an improvement in coverage over those guys listed. Can be have just as much of a SPT impact? If so, he probably has a good shot at a spot.

In Young's case, he profiled as a Safety when he enrolled at Ohio State and then switched to Linebacker much like the draftee Jaylon Carlies enrolling as a CB then switched to the SS/LB role at Missouri.

Youngs two years as a starter at KU (Compares favorably to Carlies):

25 Games, 101 Tackles, 10.5 for loss, 6 sacks, 2 Ints, 6 PD, 1 FF - converted from S to LB at KU

Key Measurables: 6'3" w/33" Arms, 4.56 40-yard dash

Carlies 3 years as a starter as a hybrid SS/LB at Missouri:

38 games, 212 Tackles, 11.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 9 Ints, 9 PD, 3 FF, 1 FR - converted from CB to hybrid SS/LB

Key Measurables: 6'3" w/34.25" Arms, 4.50 40-yard dash

Key Measurables in the past for successful Colts Linebackers:

Leonard: 6'2" w/34.375 Arms, 40-yard dash skewed due to injury but still ran a 4.70 (we know it was likely closer to 4.5)

Okereke: 6'1" w/34.5" Arms, 4.58 40-yard dash

Speed: 6'4" w/33.25 Arms, 4.60 40-yard dash

In comparison to LB's we let walk or cut due to low production:

Anthony Walker: 6'1" w/30.375" Arms, 4.65 40-yard dash (decent stats)

Matthew Adams: 6'0" w/31.25" Arms, 4.63 40-yard dash - pretty much drafted as a Special teamer only

Jordan Glasgow: 6'0" w/30.625" Arms, Only drafted for special teams play

The one true outlier (as he said at the 2024 NFL Draft - he shouldn't be standing up there):

Zaire Franklin: 6'0" w/31.75" Arms, 4.62 40-yard dash - All heart and soul

The Current crop of Back-up and/or PS linebackers on the roster from 2023:

McGrone: 6'1" w/32.125" Arms, Injured so no 40-yard dash time (active roster in 23)

Stuard: 6'0" w/30.25 Arms, Injured so no 40-yard dash time (only traded for to play special teams)

Ajiake: 6'1" w/31.625 Arms, 4.60 40-yard dash time (PS player in 23)

Anderson: 6'3" w/29.25" Arms, 4.53 40-yard dash time (PS player in 23 with 1-2 games as a ST's)

Harrison: 6'2" w/33.375" Arms, 4.63 40-yard dash (50/50 player last year as he transitioned to LB on the PS)

Olubi: 6'0" w/31.75" Arms, 4.45 40-yard dash (active roster in 23 with a couple starts)

Olubi (good speed) and Harrison (length) are likely keepers which gives Young a clear opportunity to take the 3rd back-up role as a core special teamer and possibly work his way into a 3rd and Passing Distance coverage backer like I envision Carlies being as well. So Speed and Franklin play the running downs and those two come in to play coverage. 

Also makes me wonder if MAYBE they give Harrison run at SS/Box Safety and move Blackmon back to FS? 

Not forgetting Pennix.........he is a BIG BOY at 6'2" & 234lbs who has lined up at RB, FB, HB, and TE in College and was productive that ran a 4.59 forty - only faster TE we have is Mallory and there is no RB bigger than him, but he is faster than Sermon though and they have eerily similar RAS score measurables except Pennix is WAY bigger, just sayin'. I'm going to say it was his versatility that caused him to go undrafted because he didn't do enough at any one position so evaluators had a hard time determining how he could be used!??! But a creative offensive mind like SS can certainly figure out how to use him all over the offense - short yardage back, fullback, HB/TE leaking out into the zones, in-line blocker as a TE. I am interested in seeing what they do with him in open practices and minicamp. Ultimately, he could take one of the back-up roles behind JT and maybe even make someone like Granson expendable (probably not but stranger things have happened)

****Disclaimer, yes, I know I only focused on the measurements of the player and not what they have done in practice or pre-season games. Given this teams propensity to like certain measurements for certain positions I don't feel like this is a "bad take".......

• Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 4:07 PM, w87r said:

Questions:

What's do we still need?

Strongest position group?(Top 3)

Weakest position group?(Bottom 3)

#1 option on offense and defense, that isn't currently on the roster?

I think we still need a vet FS and maybe a CB, wouldn't be adverse to another LB that can cover.

Strongest groups:

1. OL

2. DL

3. TE

Weakest groups:

1. LB

2. S

3. RB(still anticipate adding here)

#1 option on defense - Q. Diggs FS

#1 option on offense - C Akers RB

Strongest Groups

1. OL

2. DL

3. WR

Weakest Groups

1. CB

2. S

3.LB

Slight difference from your groups but when 
I analyzed the weakness the back end of our D is scary starting at LBer back.

• Like 1

• w87r changed the title to 2024 Post Draft Updated Roster + Cap Space Discussion Thread
7 hours ago, w87r said:

Just leaves our (2) WRs left to be signed.

I wonder if they will sign any of the rookie invites over what we currently have rostered?

Combing thru the list the following intrigue me:

Justin Strong - RB - strong production and a high RAS = Ballard's type. Perhaps over Goodson or Scott

Will Perez - LB - Similar/Equivelent Measurables of Ballards Build-A-Backer concept (6'3"/224/32.125" Arms/4.61 40 - 8.82 RAS from Princeton so probably really smart too) over an Anderson or Ajiake

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I wonder if they will sign any of the rookie invites over what we currently have rostered?

Combing thru the list the following intrigue me:

Justin Strong - RB - strong production and a high RAS = Ballard's type. Perhaps over Goodson or Scott

Will Perez - LB - Similar/Equivelent Measurables of Ballards Build-A-Backer concept (6'3"/224/32.125" Arms/4.61 40 - 8.82 RAS from Princeton so probably really smart too) over an Anderson or Ajiake

Strong is PFF UDFA name to watch for Colts.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/5/13/24155120/pff-names-southern-illinois-rb-justin-strong-as-udfa-to-watch-for-colts

"However, perhaps, the most impressive thing about Strong right now may be his insanely athletic measurables—featuring a nearly pristine RAS of 9.94 out of a maximum of 10.0. Strong’s RAS is the 12th best among 1,804 players at his position from 1987 to 2024"

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 4:07 PM, w87r said:

Questions:

What's do we still need?

Strongest position group?(Top 3)

Weakest position group?(Bottom 3)

#1 option on offense and defense, that isn't currently on the roster?

I think we still need a vet FS and maybe a CB, wouldn't be adverse to another LB that can cover.

Strongest groups:

1. OL

2. DL

3. TE

Weakest groups:

1. LB

2. S

3. RB(still anticipate adding here)

#1 option on defense - Q. Diggs FS

#1 option on offense - C Akers RB

I’m not happy with a free safety situation. I would imagine a free agent would be a good fit here.

• Like 1