Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Best 2024 Draft Prospect Fits

As promised. Here is Khyree Jackson. Apologies as I’ve struggled to open this topic back up. The 2nd page never wants to load for me:

Not a 9+ athlete l, but still good enough. Like Brent’s and Hart who I did earlier, he’s a big long corner with length for days. 

He’s a Senior who attended the Senior Bowl and was one of the standouts. His ability to play in man shined but in college he was just as good in Zone

Also I’ve highlighted that corners who can tackle are a must for Ballard, and Jackson is arguably the best tackling corner in this draft

He uses every bit of his length to his advantage in run support. The other thing is that he shows a willingness to stick his nose in run support. That toughness is evident throughout his game in coverage too. He has the alpha mindset and will frustrate the receiver and let him know about it after the play.

Again, these aren’t full scouting reports, but explanations of how they fit what the Colts/Ballard like so I’m not going to post a bunch of clips. 

Boxes Checked:

-B+ RAS athlete

-Senior and Senior Bowl participant

-32”+ arms

-Excellent tackler

Only unchecked boxes are that he wasn’t a team captain and didn’t have a 9.0+ RAS. Overall I think he’s a great fit for what the Colts do currently, and his ability to play man when the criticism of Bradley has been he doesn’t play enough man is really valuable. For corners he’s one of the top 3 fits for the Colts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

As promised. Here is Khyree Jackson. Apologies as I’ve struggled to open this topic back up. The 2nd page never wants to load for me:

Not a 9+ athlete l, but still good enough. Like Brent’s and Hart who I did earlier, he’s a big long corner with length for days. 

He’s a Senior who attended the Senior Bowl and was one of the standouts. His ability to play in man shined but in college he was just as good in Zone

Also I’ve highlighted that corners who can tackle are a must for Ballard, and Jackson is arguably the best tackling corner in this draft

He uses every bit of his length to his advantage in run support. The other thing is that he shows a willingness to stick his nose in run support. That toughness is evident throughout his game in coverage too. He has the alpha mindset and will frustrate the receiver and let him know about it after the play.

Again, these aren’t full scouting reports, but explanations of how they fit what the Colts/Ballard like so I’m not going to post a bunch of clips. 

Boxes Checked:

-B+ RAS athlete

-Senior and Senior Bowl participant

-32”+ arms

-Excellent tackler

Only unchecked boxes are that he wasn’t a team captain and didn’t have a 9.0+ RAS. Overall I think he’s a great fit for what the Colts do currently, and his ability to play man when the criticism of Bradley has been he doesn’t play enough man is really valuable. For corners he’s one of the top 3 fits for the Colts.

Re team captain, he was behind Arnold and Kool aid so he transfered to a veteran oregon squad for one year. Really had no chance at it

• Like 2

@Defjamz26

The Colts may very well be wise to add defensive players capable of both high-level man and zone skills.  Not telling how much longer Steichen will keep Bradley as our DC.  No telling what the potential next DC will implement.  Obviously need players who can stop the run why am very high on players like WLB Edgerrin Cooper and DB Khyree Jackson. 

Thanks for the update same as what I had noticed but some added metrics I hadn't seen. 

• Like 5

On 3/21/2024 at 2:35 AM, Defjamz26 said:

May have to take Nubin off my list. granted these are pro day numbers but yikes. Kind of just confirms that this isn’t a great safety class. 

Jaden Hicks is the guy we should be looking at rather than Nubin. He fits better what Ballard likes... 

JDYsESi.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

@Defjamz26

The Colts may very well be wise to add defensive players capable of both high-level man and zone skills.  Not telling how much longer Steichen will keep Bradley as our DC.  No telling what the potential next DC will implement.  Obviously need players who can stop the run why am very high on players like WLB Edgerrin Cooper and DB Khyree Jackson. 

Thanks for the update same as what I had noticed but some added metrics I hadn't seen. 

Thats my thinking with the corners. Bradley needs to play more man anyways, but we also need to prepare for what I think is his inevitable departure. Better to have hybrid corners. Thats also a reason why I’m worried about a guy like Jones. He may not be able to match up in man like Brents can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Jaden Hicks is the guy we should be looking at rather than Nubin. He fits better what Ballard likes... 

JDYsESi.png

Nice. I’ve known who he was since the fall but was waiting on his testing. I wonder if he’s more of a box safety though because one thing that popped with him was his violent hits he’d dish out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Nice. I’ve known who he was since the fall but was waiting on his testing. I wonder if he’s more of a box safety though because one thing that popped with him was his violent hits he’d dish out.

He was moved all over their formation. Here are his splits last 3 years:

Ya64waj.png

Still has over 500 snaps at deep safety last 2 seasons. 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 7:50 AM, stitches said:

JDYsESi.png

@Defjamz26

Finally posted my Dr. T draft projections without regards to RAS this year and cross-referencing actual scores like past years.  We should be set at SS with Blackmon/Cross locked in.  Projecting adding Javon Bullard and Jaylin Simpson as or FS mix with flexibility to cover Kenny Moore (Bullard) and Simpson adding additional value as CB1-2 role competition with Jaylon Jones. 

I can still see the Colts add backup depth WRs with contracts expiring.  Edge depth is another area of a need that I see.  Not sold on all the QB hype and see the draft skip most of the QBs early like last year and teams taking some of the better players earlier than currently being projected.  Projecting both CB Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold being drafted prior to the Colts pick.  Now it's just a waiting game until April 25th. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:26 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Hello all,

Now that the the Senior Bowl and Combine have come and went, it’s time to narrow down the prospects that will be fits for the Colts and have a higher chance of being drafted in April. Going in to year 8, Ballard has shown and explained his blueprint for drafting players, and it’s becoming easy to see what guys will be guys he targets. Last year everyone honed in on JuJu Brent’s as a Ballard type and sure enough, he was picked. A lot of what Ballard likes has been nicely laid out by Zach Hicks in his yearly Build-A-Ballard series. It hasn’t dropped yet this year so I’m going to lay out a couple of guys that will be good fits IMO

Im skipping TE since to me it’s Bowers or Bust, as well as QB since we have AR

Ballard’s Player Preferences Regardles of Positions are usually:

-Elite RAS score

-Senior Bowl Participants

-Good character

-Team Captains

-Produced in college

Offensive Fits:

WR:

Note: He values WRs that can block and have good size (6 ft+)

1. Rome Odunze, Washington 

2. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

3. Tez Walker, UNC

4. Xavier Legette, South Carolina

5. Ryan Flournoy, Southeast Missouri State

RB:

1. Dylan Laube, New Hampshire

2. Michael Wiley, Arizona

3. Issac Guerendo, Louisville 

IOL

1. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State

2. Mason McCormick, South Dakota State

3. Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin

4. Zach Frazier, WVU

OT

1. Kingsley Suamataia

2. Patrick Paul, Houston

3. Frank Crum, Wyoming

4. Garret Greenfield, South Dakota State

Defensive Fits:

Edge:

1. Jared Verse, FSU

2. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3. Eric Watts, Uconn

4. Brennan Jackson, Washington State

5. Jalyx Hun, HCU

DT/NT

1. Kris Jenkins, Michigan 

2. Braden Fiske, FSU

3. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson 

4. Maason Smith, LSU

5. Gabe Hall, Baylor

6. Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa

LB:

1. Edgerrin Cooperx, Texas A&M

2. Cedric Gray, UNC

3. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky

4. Curtis Jacobs, Penn State

5. Jordan Magee, Temple

CB

Note: 32” arm length is preferred

1. Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

3. Khyree Jackson, Oregon

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa Statge

Safety:

1. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota

2. Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State

3. Beau Brade, Maryland

That’s all she wrote, thanks!

This team needs a corner. I predict a corner with the 1st pick. The Colts believe that if Richardson is who they think he can become, it will bring out the talent in the wrs and tes. There is such a need in the secondary it is glaring. This has to be a draft dedicated to the defense.  I would probably go defense with the first three picks. Corner, safety and DE.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:07 AM, OhioColt said:

@Defjamz26

Finally posted my Dr. T draft projections without regards to RAS this year and cross-referencing actual scores like past years.  We should be set at SS with Blackmon/Cross locked in.  Projecting adding Javon Bullard and Jaylin Simpson as or FS mix with flexibility to cover Kenny Moore (Bullard) and Simpson adding additional value as CB1-2 role competition with Jaylon Jones. 

I can still see the Colts add backup depth WRs with contracts expiring.  Edge depth is another area of a need that I see.  Not sold on all the QB hype and see the draft skip most of the QBs early like last year and teams taking some of the better players earlier than currently being projected.  Projecting both CB Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold being drafted prior to the Colts pick.  Now it's just a waiting game until April 25th. 

I don’t know if a rookie safety is the way to go about fixing the issues back there. I’m fine with drafting Bullard/Simpson, but we still need to sign Diggs or Simmons.

I still think Ballard will add at WR early. He wants an explosive speed element. Remember that when they were fielding offers for Taylor, they asked the Dolphins for Waddle and GB for Christian Watson. He clearly still wants an explosive vertical threat so we can generate explosive plays down the field. I think he goes BTJ round 1

or Worthy round 2/ back of round 1 if he trades back up.

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This team needs a corner. I predict a corner with the 1st pick. The Colts believe that if Richardson is who they think he can become, it will bring out the talent in the wrs and tes. There is such a need in the secondary it is glaring. This has to be a draft dedicated to the defense.  I would probably go defense with the first three picks. Corner, safety and DE.

I see corner as the pick as well, and most mock drafts have us getting Quinyon Mitchell, which I like, but I still think he’ll add at WR round 2. I struggle with making my final mock because I know it’s ether CB or WR in the 1st round and that dictates everything.

On 4/2/2024 at 2:02 AM, OhioColt said:

@Defjamz26

Thats a good point. He may have kept Bradley because maybe he didnt see any other options out there. However, maybe this draft on defense will tell us that they maybe moving in  different direction in terms of scheme and Gus will have to adjust or be gone at the end of the year. That is why I am really opposed to drafting zone corners in this draft. If Gus is not here after this year, you dont want this draft dedicated to his scheme and then new coach comes in and you are starting all over again. Draft the players this year that allow you to be flexible in case of coaching change. That is why I am hoping they go for a man corner with their 1st pick.

• Like 1

Funny, I’ve been digging Jaylon Carlies, S, Missouri as a potential LB conversion for us.  Currently my 5th rounder on my mock.  Just found this yesterday, comping him to EJ Soeed.

IMG_0057.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Archer said:

Really interesting.  

Sounds like Steelers, who have dealt with characters like Antonio Brown, JuJu, Claypool and now Pickens, are blowing some pre-draft smoke here?? Not sure what the end game is, because he ain't falling all the way to them in Round 2, maybe they hope their division rivals Ravens read what they put out there :) 

On 4/18/2024 at 3:55 PM, Dingus McGirt said:

The team has to provide an offensive playmaker for Richardson.  Ballard seems to try and do that a bit later in drafts.  NOT THIS TIME.

He has to do that very early. While the WR  class is deep, it’s not deep for the type of receivers the Colts need. Assuming we don’t trade up for one of the top 3 receivers, it’s really only Thomas, Worthy, Franklin, and Walker who are real field stretchers, and 3/4 of them are really raw and have other concerns.

You can wait till the later rounds if you need a slot receiver, but for the field stretchers, you have to get them round 1 or early round 2. For TE it’s Bowers or bust for me. I’m not entertaining drafting any other TEs because we already have 5 on the roster with varying skill sets. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:12 PM, Archer said:

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=24997&ovl=Missouri

I’m currently high on Jaylon Carlies of Missouri.  He played Safety at Missouri, but I see him as a LB conversion.  Note that he had a RAS score of 9.08 as a FS, which I can only imagine puts him in the upper 9s for LB.  34 1/4 arms.  4.50 forty.  20bp.  6’3, 227lbs. 

Feel like I nailed this one.  Makes up for the fact that my favorite fit was Mason McCormick by the end, and we passed him up twice for other IOLs (so I was obviously dead wrong!)…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:36 PM, Archer said:

Funny, I’ve been digging Jaylon Carlies, S, Missouri as a potential LB conversion for us.  Currently my 5th rounder on my mock.  Just found this yesterday, comping him to EJ Soeed.

IMG_0057.jpeg

Great job identifying Carlies. This is insane call on both the conversion and the pick. Huge props @Archer!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Couple updates to the list based on some feedback. Bolded are new entries 

WR:

1. Rome Odunze, Washington 

2. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

3. Tez Walker, UNC

4. Xavier Legette, South Carolina

5. Ryan Flournoy, Southeast Missouri State
6. Adonai Mitchell, Texas

CB:

1. Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

3. Khyree Jackson, Oregon

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa State

5. Max Melton, Rutgers

6. M.J. Devonshire, Pitt

Edge

1. Jared Verse, FSU

2. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3. Eric Watts, Uconn

4. Brennan Jackson, Washington State

5. Jalyx Hunt, HCU

6. Chop Robinson, Penn State

@OhioColt Ryan Watts may project better at safety in the NFL, but even so he’s an elite athlete so he deserves a tape watch from me.

I ended up adding Mitchell to my list late and I had Bortolini on my original list. Looking at it in hindsight, I should’ve had Latu on there. He was a 9+ RAS guy.