Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unique Position This Offseason

Well with the end of the season and going into the offseason, I have started to look at our team, who's available and the cap space available. Which it seems this year, we have top 4 cap space (granted we have some FA to resign) and the best there are some interesting names available at our positions of need on defense. 

Cap Space Roughly 72 million

Offensive positions of need: WR

Defensive position of need: CB, LB, S (possibly)

Free Agent options:

Ideally I see us drafting a WR, and LBs because we have to resign Pittman and it's better to have one big WR contract, instead of two eating the cap. Looking at FA options for defense on spotrac and avoiding the top names, I think there are several players available that may benefit from a scheme change and/or have experience in a Bradley-like system because I expect him back at this point.

CB:

Steven Nelson: Got to pick a Oregon State Alum, otherwise I like him as a veteran presence in the CB room who never was the number 1 CB but has had consistent solid play.

Jalen Mills: CB but also plays Safety, great locker room guy and another good veteran presence for the CB room for the young players. He brings intensity, but at this point is not a starter.

CJ Henderson & Shaquill Griffin: Both spent time at the Carolina disaster and would be 1 year deals. Griffin Originally drafted by seattle and knows the defense, he's currently on Texans. Griffin would bring competition and may start. Henderson would be a reclamation project, originally drafted by Jags then traded the year after being drafted hasn't lived up to his pick but may just need to get out of the dysfunction. 

Jeff Okudah: Another player that didn't live up to hype of draft pick, had alot of injuries early in career, ended his rookie deal with the falcons who had a decent defense this year. He may be a good addition at low pay.

Safety: So safety is an interesting situation because we have multiple SS but no true Free Safety. Nick Cross is someone who has flashed but Blackmon had a great year, so do they resign him or let him walk and move to Cross. Otherwise the Free Agent market is old for Free Safeties. outside of bringing someone like McLeod back as depth, there's not much.

Winfield Jr. & Terrell Edmunds: they probably get resigned, Winfield will get a big contract, Edmunds less but above market average since there isn't many available.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Well with the end of the season and going into the offseason, I have started to look at our team, who's available and the cap space available. Which it seems this year, we have top 4 cap space (granted we have some FA to resign) and the best there are some interesting names available at our positions of need on defense. 

Cap Space Roughly 72 million

Offensive positions of need: WR

Defensive position of need: CB, LB, S (possibly)

Free Agent options:

Ideally I see us drafting a WR, and LBs because we have to resign Pittman and it's better to have one big WR contract, instead of two eating the cap. Looking at FA options for defense on spotrac and avoiding the top names, I think there are several players available that may benefit from a scheme change and/or have experience in a Bradley-like system because I expect him back at this point.

CB:

Steven Nelson: Got to pick a Oregon State Alum, otherwise I like him as a veteran presence in the CB room who never was the number 1 CB but has had consistent solid play.

Jalen Mills: CB but also plays Safety, great locker room guy and another good veteran presence for the CB room for the young players. He brings intensity, but at this point is not a starter.

CJ Henderson & Shaquill Griffin: Both spent time at the Carolina disaster and would be 1 year deals. Griffin Originally drafted by seattle and knows the defense, he's currently on Texans. Griffin would bring competition and may start. Henderson would be a reclamation project, originally drafted by Jags then traded the year after being drafted hasn't lived up to his pick but may just need to get out of the dysfunction. 

Jeff Okudah: Another player that didn't live up to hype of draft pick, had alot of injuries early in career, ended his rookie deal with the falcons who had a decent defense this year. He may be a good addition at low pay.

Safety: So safety is an interesting situation because we have multiple SS but no true Free Safety. Nick Cross is someone who has flashed but Blackmon had a great year, so do they resign him or let him walk and move to Cross. Otherwise the Free Agent market is old for Free Safeties. outside of bringing someone like McLeod back as depth, there's not much.

Winfield Jr. & Terrell Edmunds: they probably get resigned, Winfield will get a big contract, Edmunds less but above market average since there isn't many available.

Aloha Gilman is really coming into his own for the Chargers (86.1 PFF seasonal score), only 26 years old would be a nice add to Free Safety depending on what market brings him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Ideally I see us drafting a WR, and LBs because we have to resign Pittman and it's better to have one big WR contract, instead of two eating the cap

It’s the only way to go if you are keeping Pittman, which I don’t see them not doing. 

If you find an absolute stud in the draft that turns into an elite receiver, you get he and Pittman both for upwards of 4 years, with the option of moving on from Pittman for the younger and more talented guy. I like that concept better than any other alternative that we can reasonably explore. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s the only way to go if you are keeping Pittman, which I don’t see them not doing. 

If you find an absolute stud in the draft that turns into an elite receiver, you get he and Pittman both for upwards of 4 years, with the option of moving on from Pittman for the younger and more talented guy. I like that concept better than any other alternative that we can reasonably explore. 

Yeah that was my thinking as well. A good example of this is Jefferson and Addison or Higgins and Chase or Harrison and Wayne or for that matter Wayne and Hilton. 

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yeah that was my thinking as well. A good example of this is Jefferson and Addison or Higgins and Chase or Harrison and Wayne or for that matter Wayne and Hilton. 

yep. Gives you an opportunity to move forward with any combination of Pittman, Downs and (insert 2024 draft pick).

Solid assessment @Zoltan. I like our youth at CB but would like to see them bring in one decent guy with some experience to help that young room. 

I think a lot of folks will overlook the need at LB, but it is a need.

At the FS position, one of the mocks gave me the opportunity to trade pick #15 for Antoine Winfield. Thought that was a pretty interesting scenario.

Ballard needs to take some risks. Especially when all of his salary cap management has gotten us nothing but .500 at best the past 6 years.

Now's the time to do so when AR is still on his rookie contract. Load up on a few stars in FA, even if it means grossly overpaying for them. Cut the bait that aren't worth their contracts (e.g. Braden Smith, R. Kelly, Mo Cox).

Instead of re-signing Grover Stewart to $10 million a year, go and get Chris Jones for 20 a year.

12 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Ballard needs to take some risks. Especially when all of his salary cap management has gotten us nothing but .500 at best the past 6 years.

Now's the time to do so when AR is still on his rookie contract. Load up on a few stars in FA, even if it means grossly overpaying for them. Cut the bait that aren't worth their contracts (e.g. Braden Smith, R. Kelly, Mo Cox).

Instead of re-signing Grover Stewart to $10 million a year, go and get Chris Jones for 20 a year.

This is a crazy take, you want to get rid of our OL for our young QB and get a few stars instead. History shows that signing star FA very rarely workout for the team that signs them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rock8591 said:

How is Kelly not living up to his contract? He's been a top 10 center this yr. Who do you suggest we replace him with that will get us top 10 production and not cost the same, if not more? I can get behind dropping MAC, and even understand dropping Smith (though it wouldn't be my move unless we had a young guy tabbed that we were certain of), but Kelly? No way I'd make that cut. If anything I would look at a possible rookie depth piece that may have a chance to take over in a year or two. 

Chris Jones would be interesting, but I am not sure I ever see it happening. 

Kelly I agree should keep.

Smith is overpaid. Slightly above-average RT for $18 million a year is too much. And I'm as big of a fan of Braden Smith as anybody; I've had passwords that utilize his name in them FYI. In today's passing league, anything over $15 million needs to be for a WR, LT, DT, or DE.

If the "go all in" plan fails, that gets the team a high pick in future drafts.

It's sad to say this but that is the way to go in today's league. It's worse to perpetually have picks 15-20 year after year, after year, after year. Those are the teams that stay in mediocrity.

10 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Smith is overpaid. Slightly above-average RT for $18 million a year is too much. And I'm as big of a fan of Braden Smith as anybody; I've had passwords that utilize his name in them FYI. In today's passing league, anything over $15 million needs to be for a WR, LT, DT, or DE.

It's sad to say this but that is the way to go in today's league. It's worse to perpetually have picks 15-20 year after year, after year, after year. Those are the teams that stay in mediocrity.

He's graded as a top 10 RT

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Smith graded as a top 10 OT this year.  The oline was night and day depending on whether he was in the lineup or not. Unfortunately, he wasn’t out there enough this year.  I believe he played 15 games the year before though.  They should consider drafting a potential future replacement for Kelly since he’s going into his last season on his contract. 

On 1/9/2024 at 10:50 PM, rock8591 said:

I think you’re going to be horribly, horribly disappointed.   I don’t think you’re going to get any of your wishes to come true.   

I think Ballard will take few risks.   Won’t load up on many stars, maybe one.  Won’t move on from the vets you think are overpaid.   And the word I’m reading is that Chris Jones wants 30m per, so 20 likely won’t get it done.  

Sure, I could be wrong, but I think it’s a long shot.  I don’t see Ballard changing his approach much at all.  

The reason we’re roughly 500 the past 5 years is our failure to get the quarterback right.   If we had the QB settled, this team would’ve been in the playoffs most every year. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’re going to be horribly, horribly disappointed.   I don’t think you’re going to get any of your wishes to come true.   

I think Ballard will take few risks.   Won’t load up on many stars, maybe one.  Won’t move on from the vets you think are overpaid.   And the word I’m reading is that Chris Jones wants 30m per, so 20 likely won’t get it done.  

Sure, I could be wrong, but I think it’s a long shot.  I don’t see Ballard changing his approach much at all.  

The reason we’re roughly 500 the past 5 years is our failure to get the quarterback right.   If we had the QB settled, this team would’ve been in the playoffs most every year. 

I agree. Having the QB on a rookie contract will allow Ballard to re-sign the players he wants to bring back and do a signing or two similar to the Ebukam signing.    Most likely at safety and some depth on depth on defense. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 1:50 AM, rock8591 said:

We will keep those 4 and there's zero chance Jones is available.

And he will get high 20's.