Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay's Interview - "Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel"

sb41champs

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He didn't fight because he would have lost.   He was guilty.  It doesn't make him a terrible guy.   He did a stupid thing.   Hopefully he learned from it. 

If they handed him a tougher sentence he could have fought to reduce it.  He could have been hit with a lot of charges if they really wanted to but they didnt.

A year of probation wasnt that bad and he spent part of it in Malibu 

He didn't fight because he would have lost.   He was guilty.  It doesn't make him a terrible guy.   He did a stupid thing.   Hopefully he learned from it. 

That’s my issue with his whole I was profiled thing no he did something dumb and broke the law.  That’s them doing their job not picking on him because he’s a billionaire.  

10 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

If they handed him a tougher sentence he could have fought to reduce it.  He could have been hit with a lot of charges if they really wanted to but they didnt.

A year of probation wasnt that bad and he spent part of it in Malibu 

The same sentence all first time offenders get

The same sentence all first time offenders get

That would be true for just a dui, they basically dropped the charges for having all those pills on him.  He could have been hit with having those pills and internet to distribute 

They dont always drop all of that on everyone's first offense man

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That would be true for just a dui, they basically dropped the charges for having all those pills on him.  He could have been hit with having those pills and internet to distribute 

They dont always drop all of that on everyone's first offense man

Did they ever state how the pills were being carried? Being in prescribed bottles is a very different situation than having them in baggies. One is very easily explained (and should never even been mentioned beyond the initial description of observation) and the other is illegal in some circumstances.

He also possibly didn’t want to fight since he knew it would be a much bigger ordeal in the media with not a sure fire victory to be had.

Sadly the issue was perception was he got popped with a bunch of pills and slapped with a misdemeanor DUI. This has continued to follow him to this day.

24 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Being in prescribed bottles is a very different situation than having them in baggies

They never went into great detail about that.  They said he didnt have a prescription for them and they were "numerous"

Definitely enough for a possession charge, probably enough for intent to distribute but he could have fought that.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

They never went into great detail about that.  They said he didnt have a prescription for them

Then either Irsay got lucky with getting a possession charge dropped or the police were incorrect in their initial findings and subsequent reports should have been amended.

But again to your point, it was never explained.

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They never went into great detail about that.  They said he didnt have a prescription for them and they were "numerous"

"Carmel officers who searched Irsay's vehicle said they "recovered numerous prescription medication bottles containing pills," along with $29,029 in cash.:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/10/17/jim-irsay-dui-arrest-video-released/17433323/

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Then either Irsay got lucky with getting a possession charge dropped or the police were incorrect in their initial findings and subsequent reports should have been amended.

But again to your point, it was never explained.

Oh it was enough for possession if they wanted it, its not clear if it was enough for intent to distribute but he probably could have beaten that.

They dont need much for a possession charge and he had them with no script 

Oh it was enough for possession if they wanted it, its not clear if it was enough for intent to distribute but he probably could have beaten that.

Possession is a felony. Pretty heavy one at that. If he didn’t have a script for that then that’s huge. I would be surprised that would be dropped.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Carmel officers who searched Irsay's vehicle said they "recovered numerous prescription medication bottles containing pills," along with $29,029 in cash.:

Yeah and another report said he didnt have a personal prescription too.  Prescription pills with no Prescription can be a possession charge

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

The part of him not having a script appears to be correct

Show me the facts to support this, not just a media report.

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That came from the media report so I dont see any reason to stop.

The media report that's probably going to lead the a lawsuit?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

The media report that's probably going to lead the a lawsuit?

Whats your point?  They said what they found on him.  Jim threatening a vague law suit that hasnt even happened is no guarantee he didnt do it.  that is meaningless unless something happens and new facts come forward

Cops said they found no prescription and nobody ever came forward with one.  you are supposed to keep that on you too if you are carrying something like that

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Whats your point?  They said what they found on him.  Jim treating a vague law suit that hasnt even happened is no guarantee he didnt do it.  that is meaningless unless something happens and new facts come forward

This pretty much refutes they weren't prescribed to him

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/17/from-the-archives-jim-irsay-prescription-drug-problem-is-nothing-new/6528287/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

This pretty much refutes they weren't prescribed to him

You are supposed to keep the script with the pills if you are going to carry something like that. Thats not the proof you think it is, they were in bottles that were not the official prescription when they found them.

Those scripts could be for something other than what they found too, its not as solid as you think.

• Like 1

You are supposed to keep the script with the pills if you are going to carry something like that. Thats not the proof you think it is, they were in bottles that were not the official prescription when they found them.

Those scripts could be for something other than what they found too, its not as solid as you think.

Solid enough he wasn't charged with possession 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That doesn’t reference the arrest. It just says the doc Irsay used is being investigated and that he got 400 OxyContin in a 24 day period. Which is insane.

They said they found prescription pills but with no prescription.  The fact that he had a script for something does not prove it was for what they found in the car

Its odd that they would not be in the official bottle like you are supposed to carry them in too.  If he did have the prescription it would be smarter to carry them in the right bottle 

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

That doesn’t reference the arrest. It just says the doc Irsay used is being investigated and that he got 400 OxyContin in a 24 day period. Which is insane.

If he had a doctor prescribing them, he wouldn't need to go through illegal channels to buy them

The USA article is B.S. The writer had to bring up George Floyd, and that's where it lost all credibility.  Irsay made a mistake at the time he got arrested. There was no reason for him to bring it up 9 years later unless he wanted headlines. I realize that Irsay is outspoken and doesn't care what others think. That can sometimes be a good thing, but in this case it didn't help. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he had a doctor prescribing them

We dont know that he had that, he had a script for something.  The cops said they didnt get one for what they found on him and you are supposed to have that if you are carrying around a controlled substance 

Its pretty weird to carry them in bottles they didnt come in if they are official

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he had a doctor prescribing them, he wouldn't need to go through illegal channels to buy them

I don’t think that’s what’s being argued. I brought up possession being pretty serious but ultimately not what he was charged with.

BlackTiger mentioned possession would count if he had no prescriptions on him for pills that were not in the correct issued bottles, which in some circumstances is illegal.

21 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I wasn’t there. Neither were you. All we have are contemporaneous media reports and what is being said now.

No, all we have is the actual charge, he was convicted of.

If he wasn't prescribed the medication, he would've been charged. They would of dropped the OWI, and hit him with the pills charge on the guilty plea. Not the other way around.

19 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

could

Exactly, and you are making accusations off of a COULD 

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Its odd that they would not be in the official bottle like you are supposed to carry them in too.  If he did have the prescription it would be smarter to carry them in the right bottle 

Often times people that take multiple meditation stuff them in different bottles for daily carry.

Who carries around a prescription with their medicine? That is turned in, to get the medicine.(you probably mean the correct bottle?)

I think you're confusing the meaning of "have a prescription".

Now as far as being in the correct bottle.

You expect him to roll around with a bottle of probably at least 100 oxytocin at one time? That would be negligence.  Would be easy to lose especially the state they put you in.

Hence why you would put them in a different bottle.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

You expect him to roll around with a bottle of probably at least 100 oxytocin at one time?

You are supposed to keep a record of that for this very reason.  The cops need a way to know you have the script for a controlled substance.  Simply not having it can get you in trouble.  Thats how this works

I browse the forum quite a bit but never created an account on this forum until now.  I'm no Irsay fan, but this is the best I could find for the actual police report.  Unless I'm overlooking something, they make no mention of pills being in the wrong bottles or lacking an Rx for them. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/03/26/excerpts-jim-irsay-arrest-reports/6937659/

His MyCase seems pretty straightforward, too.  https://public.courts.in.gov/mycase/#/vw/CaseSummary/eyJ2Ijp7IkNhc2VUb2tlbiI6ImVFQ1lmanBST3huSmQ4WlZUN3RtWWhMc0FXdHlXc0laSUR1c19wWVdFd1kxIn19

It should be a pretty easy thing to figure out... either the police report summarized by Indystar is wrong, or it is accurate, and he didn't get those additional charges because they were not true. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

You are supposed to keep a record of that for this very reason.  The cops need a way to know you have the script for a controlled substance.  Simply not having it can get you in trouble.  Thats how this works

It's easy to get the records. Might have to deal with the remnants of the initial police report (still is), but it's easily proven.

Why would a billionaire subject himself to the illegal narcotics market? You know how dangerous that would be for him? He can have any doctor he wants on payroll write him scripts.

28 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We dont know that he had that, he had a script for something.  The cops said they didnt get one for what they found on him and you are supposed to have that if you are carrying around a controlled substance 

Its pretty weird to carry them in bottles they didnt come in if they are official

Where are you seeing what the officer said?

I am pretty sure, if he had illegal pills on him, he would have been charged with that. That charge outweighs the DUI by a lot. It is Hamilton County; prosecutors would have jumped all over that. He had been taking prescribed pain killers for years because of his back. He also had hip Surgery prior to getting pulled over, so I am sure he was prescribed more pain killers. Being who he is, I am sure the Doctor prescribed him a lot of pills so he wouldn't have to keep getting refills. In Hamilton County, they don't let anything go. I was once pulled over for going 7mph in Hamilton County, got a warning luckily, but 7?? Hell here in Marion County unless you drive over 10mph, they won't even pay attention to you lmao .

Bottomline is, it was never proven he had unprescribed Pain Killing pills after an investigation was done.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, w87r said:

It's easy to get the records. Might have to deal with the remnants of the initial police report (still is), but it's easily proven.

Why would a billionaire subject himself to the illegal narcotics market? You know how dangerous that would be for him? He can have any doctor he wants on payroll right him scripts.

You are supposed to carry either the bottle or prescription papers on you if you are going to take a controlled substance with you.  Having them in "numerous" unmarked bottles makes it look guilty and you can be arrested for just that.

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Where are you seeing what the officer said?

Cnn article 

Just now, BlackTiger said:

You are supposed to carry either the bottle or prescription papers on you if you are going to take a controlled substance with you.  Having them in "numerous" unmarked bottles makes it look guilty and you can be arrested for just that.

Cnn article 

From this week or 2014?   The Indy star covered it very closely in 2014.  Never seen anything  numerous "unmarked bottles"

You are supposed to carry either the bottle or prescription papers on you if you are going to take a controlled substance with you.  Having them in "numerous" unmarked bottles makes it look guilty 

Doesn't make him guilty.

And not being convicted of it, while that doesn't always mean you're not guilty, it should be enough to not try and spread "Could be's" almost a decade later

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I said what I said.  He didnt have it when he was supposed to and never showed it

The way he was carrying them makes it look more guilty than not guilty too.  I can say what i did

You can say it again, doesn't mean you're correct.

https://www.grllaw.com/blog/never-disclose-prescription-medications-to-law-enforcement-during-a-traffic-stop/#:~:text=Laws protect against disclosure of,person to waive those protections.

As a starting point, a person’s medical condition, treatment and history are personal, private and in fact, protected against disclosure to ANYONE. Laws protect against disclosure of this information without the individual’s explicit consent as does the constitution. When law enforcement asks for this information they are asking the person to waive those protections. Disclosing this information during a traffic stop, waives the privacy privilege as to the information voluntarily disclosed. Every individual has the absolute right to keep this information to themselves and cannot be penalized or punished for insisting that their privacy be respected and honored. The only answer that needs to be given to law enforcement when the prescription medication question is asked is, “that is my private medical information and I am not going to disclose that to you.”

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Never heard of that blog but lol at thinking you can carry around a controlled substance with no proof of any prescription and the cops cant do anything about it.

You can say anything you want to a cop but they can do stuff too if you carry controlled substances with no record of anything.  You are supposed to keep something on you for situations like this.  You gotta have something for the cops to go by