Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College football 2023 thread

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did at least get my money back. I had Michigan last week and gave the 3.5. I had to try and get back to even. They won by 6. Only 2 college bets i have made all year. 2024 is going to be wild with 12 teams in it.

Regarding this season, I am rooting for Michigan to win it all. I would be OK with Washington or Oregon as well.

If you bet Oregon right now to win it all will get a nice number as opposed to waiting until after they beat Wash and lock their way in.

FSU sitting at 25-1 which is also generous (Tate Rodemaker played o.k. in first start vs UF,may get better) their D is legit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holeymoley99 said:

If you bet Oregon right now to win it all will get a nice number as opposed to waiting until after they beat Wash and lock their way in.

FSU sitting at 25-1 which is also generous (Tate Rodemaker played o.k. in first start vs UF,may get better) their D is legit. 

I think Oregon will probably beat Washington Saturday. Those 2 teams are pretty even so I can't see Washington beating them twice. FSU, especially without their QB almost has no chance of hanging with Georgia, Michigan, Washington, or Oregon.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Oregon will probably beat Washington Saturday. Those 2 teams are pretty even so I can't see Washington beating them twice. FSU, especially without their QB almost has no chance of hanging with Georgia, Michigan, Washington, or Oregon.

I expect Georgia as the 1, Michigan as the 2,FSU as the 3 and Oregon as the 4.  Ducks have looked very good (They are blowing out solid squads) while Huskies have struggled so think could get ugly this weekend.     

Think Oregon has fire power to knock off Georgia. FSU has a very good D which could keep it close vs Michigan and Keon Coleman is a tough WR for anyone to cover so while I would favor Mich. FSU upsetting them isnt out of the question in a low scoring battle.  25-1 is the highest any playoff team would get in my memory. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I expect Georgia as the 1, Michigan as the 2,FSU as the 3 and Oregon as the 4.  Ducks have looked very good (They are blowing out solid squads) while Huskies have struggled so think could get ugly this weekend.     

Think Oregon has fire power to knock off Georgia. FSU has a very good D which could keep it close vs Michigan and Keon Coleman is a tough WR for anyone to cover so while I would favor Mich. FSU upsetting them isnt out of the question in a low scoring battle.  25-1 is the highest any playoff team would get in my memory. 

Yeah at 25-1, if you put $100 down, you could walk away with $2500. I don't think they have much of chance but 25-1 is a little odd. I could see maybe 15-1. Oregon looks like a machine and had Washington beat the 1st time, all they needed was 1 1st down and game over. Then Penix worked his magic. You give Washington any chance they can burn you because they have an offense that can score fast.

Yeah at 25-1, if you put $100 down, you could walk away with $2500. I don't think they have much of chance but 25-1 is a little odd. I could see maybe 15-1. Oregon looks like a machine and had Washington beat the 1st time, all they needed was 1 1st down and game over. Then Penix worked his magic. You give Washington any chance they can burn you because they have an offense that can score fast.

Nix could win the Heisman with a win over even solid numbers in a loss (I think it is really down to him and Daniels though if Penix has a perfect game and they win it is possible but not likely).

I could see 15-1 now and 9 or 10-1 after the win vs Louisville. as more realistic numbers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did you see this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Congrats to Washington. Those dudes look unbeatable. Michael Penix is the best college QB out there.

Washington snapped out of slump at the right time.  Liberty after tonite should get the Group of 5 bid regardless of what Tulane does BUT something tells me they may need  Tulane loss to secure the spot.

Congrats to Washington. Those dudes look unbeatable. Michael Penix is the best college QB out there.

Washington snapped out of slump at the right time.  Liberty after tonite should get the Group of 5 bid regardless of what Tulane does BUT something tells me they may need  Tulane loss to secure the spot.

Think one debate put to rest with Tulane loss, Liberty punches their ticket . People may knock Liberty schedule but they beat New Mexico State twice same club that beat Auburn in Auburn a week before Auburn took Bama down to the wire, Case closed on this one.

Have a feeling Saban on the phone with Brohm and Louisville to save SEC skin, Iowa could as well if they beat Michigan convincingly BUT.....

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Bama holds on and beats Georgia the SEC better pray for FSU to lose if not........1)Mich  2)Wash 3)FSU 4)Texas....with 5)Bama and 6)Georgia sitting this one out. No way an unbeaten Power 5 gets left out and Texas win over Bama pretty much clinches things.

If the committee leaves out both Georgia and Alabama, then the committee should all just resign from anything football related.  In my opinion both of those SEC teams are better than Wash and FSU.  Put the 4 best teams in, whatever 4 teams those are.  Personally, I do not like seeing the 20+ point blowouts that have been common in the semi-final games.  Let the chaos begin!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cynjin said:

If the committee leaves out both Georgia and Alabama, then the committee should all just resign from anything football related.  In my opinion both of those SEC teams are better than Wash and FSU.  Put the 4 best teams in, whatever 4 teams those are.  Personally, I do not like seeing the 20+ point blowouts that have been common in the semi-final games.  Let the chaos begin!!

It won't happen. I think it will be = Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama. Florida St went undefeated but aren't better than the 4 teams that I listed. Texas beat Alabama and Alabama beat Georgia. Texas and Alabama only have 1 loss, Texas lost to a good team = Oklahoma.

• Like 1

It won't happen. I think it will be = Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama. Florida St went undefeated but aren't better than the 4 teams that I listed. Texas beat Alabama and Alabama beat Georgia. Texas and Alabama only have 1 loss, Texas lost to a good team = Oklahoma.

That would be a shocker, because they never have left out an undefeated conference champion. I have no idea which way it will fall, history says Michigan, Washington, and Florida St are locked in with conference titles and being undefeated.

As for the number 4 spot Texas has a conference title and has the tie breaker with Alabama. Alabama a conference title and has the tie breaker with one loss Georgia.

Which to me the most logical top 4 is 1. Michigan 2. Washington 3. Florida St and 4. Texas

But as we know the committee have made some surprises in past selections when it comes to ties, and they have never left the SEC outside of the playoffs. The only thing we do know is that more than one deserving team is gonna be left out of the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Zoltan said:

That would be a shocker, because they never have left out an undefeated conference champion. I have no idea which way it will fall, history says Michigan, Washington, and Florida St are locked in with conference titles and being undefeated.

As for the number 4 spot Texas has a conference title and has the tie breaker with Alabama. Alabama a conference title and has the tie breaker with one loss Georgia.

Which to me the most logical top 4 is 1. Michigan 2. Washington 3. Florida St and 4. Texas

But as we know the committee have made some surprises in past selections when it comes to ties, and they have never left the SEC outside of the playoffs. The only thing we do know is that more than one deserving team is gonna be left out of the playoffs.

I think it happens regarding Florida St..  The committee is going to look at who the 4 best teams are. Alabama and Texas are clearly better the Florida St.. Also, they are smart enough to know that Florida St. has 0 chance of winning it all with a 3rd string QB. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it happens regarding Florida St..  The committee is going to look at who the 4 best teams are. Alabama and Texas are clearly better the Florida St.. Also, they are smart enough to know that Florida St. has 0 chance of winning it all with a 3rd string QB. 

That would be quite the stance though to say a team can go undefeated and win a power 5 conference and not get into the playoffs. I don't think the committee will want to make that controversial of a call, basically says that record doesn't matter. I don't know the QB situation that well for florida can they get their 2nd stringer back before playoff game? I mean Ohio State won the championship with a third-string QB Cardale Jones after Braxton Miller and JT Barrett got season-ending injuries. Barrett during the last game of the season.

18 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

That would be quite the stance though to say a team can go undefeated and win a power 5 conference and not get into the playoffs. I don't think the committee will want to make that controversial of a call, basically says that record doesn't matter. I don't know the QB situation that well for florida can they get their 2nd stringer back before playoff game? I mean Ohio State won the championship with a third-string QB Cardale Jones after Braxton Miller and JT Barrett got season-ending injuries. Barrett during the last game of the season.

Strength of schedule has to matter. Florida St. hasn't played the competition that Texas and Alabama have. I might be wrong and I get why they would put Florida St. in for the reason you mentioned but I can easily see them doing what I posted as well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think they should leave FSU out. That OSU team was loaded that year and were clearly better than everyone even with their 3rd string QB. I hope it’s Michigan, Washington, Texas and Alabama. Those are the four best teams in my eyes but understand the argument for FSU. It would not surprise me a bit if tv ratings come into play with this decision. College football has become a business and people watch UT and Bama. 

Fitting there is this much controversy right before they go to a larger playoff. There are 8 teams that all have a case to be in the playoffs and can win a game. Georgia, Oregon and Ohio State could all easily win 2 games and make the championship. FSU has a great defense and I’m guessing the extra time preparing for the bowl games would help their offense a lot. 

On a different note, there is a lot of hate for the SEC bc they win so much. It’s not universal but there is a strong push from some to leave them out this year. I will say this, I don’t think there is a team in this country that can beat Bama and Georgia in back to back games. I think the gap is closing but not quite there yet. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think they should leave FSU out. That OSU team was loaded that year and were clearly better than everyone even with their 3rd string QB. I hope it’s Michigan, Washington, Texas and Alabama. Those are the four best teams in my eyes but understand the argument for FSU. It would not surprise me a bit if tv ratings come into play with this decision. College football has become a business and people watch UT and Bama. 

Fitting there is this much controversy right before they go to a larger playoff. There are 8 teams that all have a case to be in the playoffs and can win a game. Georgia, Oregon and Ohio State could all easily win 2 games and make the championship. FSU has a great defense and I’m guessing the extra time preparing for the bowl games would help their offense a lot. 

On a different note, there is a lot of hate for the SEC bc they win so much. It’s not universal but there is a strong push from some to leave them out this year. I will say this, I don’t think there is a team in this country that can beat Bama and Georgia in back to back games. I think the gap is closing but not quite there yet. 

I agree with your first paragraph 100%. By the way I can't stand Alabama, I always root for them to lose but they are simply better than Florida St. 

They are set up to fail this selection either way they do it.   If the NCAA chooses team based on "how good" they think they are, why do they not rank them that way?  Florida State, Texas, Alabama, Georgia and others will have a great reason to be * when they do not make it.  Washington and Michigan are locks.  I think Florida State and Texas should be the other 2.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

They are set up to fail this selection either way they do it.   If the NCAA chooses team based on "how good" they think they are, why do they not rank them that way?  Florida State, Texas, Alabama, Georgia and others will have a great reason to be * when they do not make it.  Washington and Michigan are locks.  I think Florida State and Texas should be the other 2.  

Lets say Florida St. gets in at #3, when they play Washington (who will be #2) and Washington puts a 50 burger on them, I don't want to hear 1 thing out of the people saying Florida St. belongs.

Schedule has to mean something and FSU beat more teams headed to Bowls then ANY squad in the entire nation. They did it with a D that has been dominant. They just held the #13 ranked team in the nation to 6 points with a 3rd string QB making his first start.

No their 3rd stringer isnt starting the playoff game in fact he almost didnt start yesterday came down to minutes before and Tate Rodemaker dressed and was taking throws on the field just didnt feel right. He would be ready to go as early as next week if they had a game.

ACC was solid (Beat SEC in their annual series 6-4 this year) it's not like committee is discussing an unbeaten Sun Belt Champion.

No unbeaten Power 5 has been left out and none ever will as expanding to 12 teams next year.

Committee has to go by what happened on the field......it comes down to Bama vs Texas and Texas won at Bama, Bama barely beat a bad Auburn team just a week ago (Same team that NM state destroyed a week earlier) and they beat Arkansas (4-8) by 3 points so it wasnt just 1 bad week by bama it was Multiple so just cant see them jumping the Longhorns.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Schedule has to mean something and FSU beat more teams headed to Bowls then ANY squad in the entire nation. They did it with a D that has been dominant. They just held the #13 ranked team in the nation to 6 points with a 3rd string QB making his first start.

No their 3rd stringer isnt starting the playoff game in fact he almost didnt start yesterday came down to minutes before and Tate Rodemaker dressed and was taking throws on the field just didnt feel right. He would be ready to go as early as next week if they had a game.

ACC was solid (Beat SEC in their annual series 6-4 this year) it's not like committee is discussing an unbeaten Sun Belt Champion.

No unbeaten Power 5 has been left out and none ever will as expanding to 12 teams next year.

Committee has to go by what happened on the field......it comes down to Bama vs Texas and Texas won at Bama, Bama barely beat a bad Auburn team just a week ago (Same team that NM state destroyed a week earlier) and they beat Arkansas (4-8) by 3 points so it wasnt just 1 bad week by bama it was Multiple so just cant see them jumping the Longhorns.

You might be right but no way you can tell me with a straight face that Florida St. would beat Alabama right now on a neutral field. I would give you 7 points and make that bet.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You might be right but no way you can tell me with a straight face that Florida St. would beat Alabama right now on a neutral field. I would give you 7 points and make that bet.

I'd take it, i think they beat them straight up honestly. In 1 game anything can happen as we saw Bama upset Georgia BUT again bama barely beat two god awful teams that FSU would run over.......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say Florida St. gets in at #3, when they play Washington (who will be #2) and Washington puts a 50 burger on them, I don't want to hear 1 thing out of the people saying Florida St. belongs.

What if Washington gets blown out, or Michigan,   Thinking that way is silly.  The NCAA rankings have proven to be meaningless. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strength of schedule has to matter. Florida St. hasn't played the competition that Texas and Alabama have. I might be wrong and I get why they would put Florida St. in for the reason you mentioned but I can easily see them doing what I posted as well.

Looks like you were right but I’m amazed they did it. I feel bad for that Florida St. team, they literally did every they could going going undefeated and winning a power 5 conference. They earned that spot in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Looks like you were right but I’m amazed they did it. I feel bad for that Florida St. team, they literally did every they could going going undefeated and winning a power 5 conference. They earned that spot in my opinion. 

Had Florida St got in I would not have complained because I can see why they would have. I just had a feeling the Committee would see it different based on Alabama beating Georgia. Really by the eye test, Bama is a better team as well compared to Florida St.

Had Florida St got in I would not have complained because I can see why they would have. I just had a feeling the Committee would see it different based on Alabama beating Georgia. Really by the eye test, Bama is a better team as well compared to Florida St.

The problem I have with it is, they are using subjectivity over objective accomplishments. Who would have thought in 2014 Ohio State with a 3rd string QB would win a championship. I think just projecting that a team is gonna be bad and switching to a team that’s a better matchup is the wrong way to look at it. It should be the top 4 teams that earned the spots, not deserved or just who they think is the best. 

On 11/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Air Force sure laid an egg vs Army with James Madison ineligible still for fbs bowls looks like Liberty has the inside track for group of 5. They have played amazing football so far with a qb-rb combo among the best. Kaidon Salter is on all QAB lists and Quinton Cooley the Wake transfer has been unstoppable.

Glad committee rewarded unbeaten Liberty with the spot was worried SMU would somehow get in (Losing by 17 to a TCU (5-7) Power 5 team was mentioned as a plus.....it definitely was not,). Some mentioned Liberty's weak schedule BUT they beat New Mexico State twice who blew out Auburn a week before Auburn went down to the wire vs Bama soooo that obviously played a factor. They return a lot of their talent as of now so could be even better. Jamey Chadwell can coach (went 31-6 last 3 seasons at Coastal Carolina) and could be building a dynasty there.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Really hilarious to see my Facebook feed tonight. Normally it’s chock full of my connections all obnoxiously raving about Ohio State this and Ohio State that… tonight it’s been dead silent mwuhahahaha! I love it! 

That game was hard to watch, poor QB play on both sides during the first half.  If OSU doesn't have better play QB next year, your Facebook feed will be quiet all year.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

That game was hard to watch, poor QB play on both sides during the first half.  If OSU doesn't have better play QB next year, your Facebook feed will be quiet all year.

That’d be okay with me. Between the Ohio State fans and the Michigan fans it gets old real quick. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 10:24 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have:

Washington over Texas

Michigan over Alabama

-I am not betting on either game though, staying away from that as these games are too close to call.

I think Bama wins and Texas wins so mine is the opposite of yours lol. But I believe both should be good competitive games. 

• Like 1

Michigan got it! Harbaugh is the man.

I always loved Jim since he sent my fiancée at the time a hand written letter which talked about his son and all, as well as an autographed 8 X 10 photo,would guess 99 out of 100 wouldnt take the time to do that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I always loved Jim since he sent my fiancée at the time a hand written letter which talked about his son and all, as well as an autographed 8 X 10 photo,would guess 99 out of 100 wouldnt take the time to do that.

I got his autograph when I went to the Colts game vs the Chargers back in 1996. I was with my mom at that game. She loved Harbaugh. I talked to him briefly, told him my name and told him thanks for last season that he was a great QB (last season being 1995), cool and polite guy!

• Like 2