Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super improved Colts positive thread

2006Coltsbestever

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This has truth to it. Good post. My main point is that Grigs rode Luck's coattails to people that want to point out that Grig's has a better record than Ballard. Had the roles been reversed and Ballard would have been GM when Luck came out, Ballard would have a great record.

I don't want to go back in forth because you seem genuinely friendly and I thank you. However, Grigson did more than just draft a generational QB, believe it or not. Folks who think he was merely successful due to A. Luck, are in denial. Did Grigson, deserve to get fired? Absolutely.  Grigson's Achilles heal as a GM, not media friendly, which was his undoing. Ballard is very good with the media. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Having said that, to your point, I can see people getting fed up with Ballard by now because we haven't found a solution since Luck has retired. If he was a great GM, your thinking is we should be winning by now again at a high rate so I get it. When people talk about greatest head coaches of all-time, I can never figure out why Joe Gibbs is never mentioned. He won a SB with 3 different QB's, only coach ever to do that. So I get everyone's point, I am glad I created this thread now. I am seeing all sides of everything.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

I don't want to go back in forth because you seem genuinely friendly and I thank you. However, Grigson did more than just draft a generational QB, believe it or not. Folks who think he was merely successful due to A. Luck, are in denial. Did Grigson, deserve to get fired? Absolutely.  Grigson's Achilles heal as a GM, not media friendly, which was his undoing. Ballard is very good with the media. 

I never cared about Grig's being rude to the media, I just wanted to win. What bothered me about him as a GM was, he had the Golden QB of anyone GM's dreams and failed to build around him. Only great pick he made besides Luck was TY Hilton and that was the same draft. A GM can treat the media poorly for all I care as long as he wins. 

10 hours ago, AKB said:

oh yeah, I agree. numerics-wise, especially with fan sentiment the numbers will favor Ballard. He wasn't the guy that "ruined" a generational QB talent. so with that being said, it kind of contaminates a fan poll.

I suppose the only way to really truly settle it would be to find non-colts-related rankings and see how they compared over their first 5 years or whatever Grigs had. 

Draft ratings

FA ratings

Staff Ratings

pool those ratings, and then average. but imo, fan sentiment isn't the deciding factor here. Because really, Ballard hasn't accomplished anything other than drafting Nelson and Leonard.  And by those marks - most could flip the argument, or at least say that it balances --> but then we get into a perpetual "QB position is too heavily weighted to compare to generational LG, and ILB"..

^ so that's why I tend to say the conversation is hard to have on this board, or with any colt fan in general that watched what happened to Andrew. 

Fantastic Post. You sound like me now when I break down greatest players ever lists :thmup:.

So much goes into it, yes Championships won and games won are a huge factor in ranking players, having said that, I also factor in things like:

1. Stats

2. How dominant a player is/was at his position (it is a team game)

3. Leadership of a player

4. How clutch a player is

5. I think League MVP's are important too because who wins that is usually the best player in the league in that particular season. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never cared about Grig's being rude to the media, I just wanted to win. What bothered me about him as a GM was, he had the Golden QB of anyone GM's dreams and failed to build around him. Only great pick he made besides Luck was TY Hilton and that was the same draft. A GM can be treat the media poorly for all I care as long as he wins. 

I thought Ryan Kelly was a pretty good pick. Productive players with Colts and or on other rosters. Jack Mewhort*, D. Good, V. Ballard*, H. Anderson, J. Haeg, A. Blyth, H. Ridgeway, L, Clark, C. Fleener and D. Allen. 

* Career ending injury

Let's not pretend the cupboard was bare with Grigson and he missed on but only 2 draft picks. And let us remember, Ballard's only playoff win has come with at least half of Grigson's roster. 

14 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

I thought Ryan Kelly was a pretty good pick. Productive players with Colts and or on other rosters. Jack Mewhort*, D. Good, V. Ballard*, H. Anderson, J. Haeg, A. Blyth, H. Ridgeway, L, Clark, C. Fleener and D. Allen. 

* Career ending injury

Let's not pretend the cupboard was bare with Grigson and he missed on but only 2 draft picks. And let us remember, Ballard's only playoff win has come with at least half of Grigson's roster. 

Kelly was a good pick, not great. I also liked when we traded for Davis, he was a great CB for a couple of years but we were never able to stock pile a great team around Luck. Polian did that with Peyton. Ballard hasn't had a franchise QB like those 2 had, he had Luck for 1 year and an aging Rivers. Rivers was good for us but was just too old. If we could have got Matt Ryan from 4 years ago we would have been good last year. I still thought Matt had game going into last season, I missed on that prediction. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kelly was a good pick, not great. I also liked when we traded for Davis, he was a great CB for a couple of years but we were never able to stock pile a great team around Luck. Polian did that with Peyton. Ballard hasn't had a franchise QB like those 2 had, he had Luck for 1 year and an aging Rivers. Rivers was good for us but was just too old. If we could have got Matt Ryan from 4 years ago we would have been good last year. I still thought Matt had game going into last season, I missed on that prediction. 

Fans need to ignore and let go of the bolded. It doesn't take a franchise QB to have more success than the Colts have had the past 4 seasons or lack of if your not in denial...  Especially when you have all these Pro Bowlers and the GM is being touted a genius talent evaluator.  Let's hope AR is the eal deal! 

8 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

Fans need to ignore and let go of the bolded. It doesn't take a franchise QB to have more success than the Colts have had the past 4 seasons or lack of if your not in denial...  Especially when you have all these Pro Bowlers and the GM is being touted a genius talent evaluator.  Let's hope AR is the eal deal! 

Carson Wentz had a huge chance to save his career, I thought he actually played good in a lot of games to get us to 9-6 in 2021. Then he showed his true colors the last 2 games. I am not sure why the team as a whole failed in those games but with the talent we had we should have beat Jacksonville. That game falls on Reich in a lot of ways IMO. 

By the way I hated the Carson trade when it happened but Ballard had a good enough team around him to at least get us to the playoffs and we still failed. Maybe if we had Joe Gibbs as coach we would have made the AFC Title Game stressed homer simpson GIF

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Carson Wentz had a huge chance to save his career, I thought he actually played good in a lot of games to get us to 9-6 in 2021. Then he showed his true colors the last 2 games. I am not sure why the team as a whole failed in those games but with the talent we had we should have beat Jacksonville. That game falls on Reich in a lot of ways IMO. 

By the way I hated the Carson trade when it happened but Ballard had a good enough team around him to at least get us to the playoffs and we still failed. Maybe if we had Joe Gibbs as coach we would have made the AFC Title Game stressed homer simpson GIF

I look at C. Wentz at Philly and the year the Eagles win the SB. C. Wentz plays great all year and goes down will season ending injury and the backup N. Foles comes in and the Eagles don't miss a beat and win the SB.   

What's that say to me? Great roster and supporting cast. That you don't need elite franchise signal callers to do better than the Colts the last 4 years, when being touted as having a strong roster supposedly.........

20 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

I look at C. Wentz at Philly and the year the Eagles win the SB. C. Wentz plays great all year and goes down will season ending injury and the backup N. Foles comes in and the Eagles don't miss a beat and win the SB.   

What's that say to me? Great roster and supporting cast. That you don't need elite franchise signal callers to do better than the Colts the last 4 years, when being touted as having a strong roster supposedly.........

You can win without a great QB but he has to be at least good as facts will show over the last 31 seasons (1992-2022). Since the 1992 season when Troy Aikman won his 1st SB, only 4 QB's that have won a SB aren't Hall of Famers. Eli, Ben, and Wilson will make the Hall of Fame, Mahomes is a shoe in already lmao .

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Foles aren't Hall of Famers. 3 of those 4 QB's that won it all had 1 thing in common = a top 5 defense of all-time, Ravens in 2000 and the Bucs in 2002 are arguably top 3 ever. 2012, Flacco played out of his mind during that playoff run but it was the defense that came up big in the end against SF. Foles was a Cinderella story and played the greatest game of his life when it counted. We are talking 4 QB's that weren't great that have won it all in 31 seasons. It rarely happens. That is why I brought up Joe Gibbs, he won SB's with 3 that weren't great but that was way back. They were still good though.

I was watching some youtube video's of this Adam Rank guy. He should be nicknamed as Adam STANK with his ridiculous team predictions over the years. I am better than he is at predicting teams records than he has been and this dude gets paid for being a clown. He has had some of the worst predictions I have ever seen over the last few years. He has to be joking with people, that is how bad they are?? Watching him, I thought I was being punked. 

I was watching some youtube video's of this Adam Rank guy. He should be nicknamed as Adam STANK with his ridiculous team predictions over the years. I am better than he is at predicting teams records than he has been and this dude gets paid for being a clown. He has had some of the worst predictions I have ever seen over the last few years. He has to be joking with people, that is how bad they are?? Watching him, I thought I was being punked. 

I actually love Adam Rank tbh. We used to talk a bit back in the day when I was a regular playing fantasy football on NFL.com. He's a big WWE/WWF guy and has some fun comparisons with teams to wrestlers. You have to get his personality tbh. He's actually a really cool guy though. Haven't talked to him for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I actually love Adam Rank tbh. We used to talk a bit back in the day when I was a regular playing fantasy football on NFL.com. He's a big WWE/WWF guy and has some fun comparisons with teams to wrestlers. You have to get his personality tbh. He's actually a really cool guy though. Haven't talked to him for a long time.

Wow, he had some of the worse predictions I have ever seen going back 3 years. Like I said maybe he was punking people?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wow, he had some of the worse predictions I have ever seen going back 3 years. Like I said maybe he was punking people?

Maybe. I'd like to see some of them. He definitely is controversial at times though. His opinion isn't always the majority.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe. I'd like to see some of them. He definitely is controversial at times though. His opinion isn't always the majority.

He had the Bears going 16-0 in one of them (back in 2020 I think) and there was like at least 10 other predictions he missed by a mile. You have to youtube it. He had to be joking. Just youtube adam rank's worst predictions.

He had the Bears going 16-0 in one of them (back in 2020 I think) and there was like at least 10 other predictions he missed by a mile. You have to youtube it. He had to be joking. Just youtube adam rank's worst predictions.

He did some crazy ones where he admits he's being bold or trolling. Not all his predictions are serious ones. He has fun at times. A lot of his articles he would admit as much before making predictions.

No one ruined lucks career.... Not Griggs, not anyone besides luck himself. His reckless style of play and not really having the desire or mentality to be a Franchise QB like some of the greats is what led his early exit. He didn't exactly Breathe, eat, live for football like many other greats do. He had other interests and when the pressures of being a Franchise QB mounted and the playing part was less fun for him he took a way out to a happier, more peaceful life....which everyone has the right to do so if they can monetarily afford to do so.....and he did. And Irsay paying him $25 million even though he quit

didn't hurt his bank account.... Lol.

Record wise, Griggs was 18 games OVER .500 plus 3 playoff wins. Ballard's W-L % may never approach that. Currently, I think its significantly under .500. Of course that's only relevant if someone values wins over personal feelings toward management. haha

Yeah were about average since 2000 if you take away Mannings wins BUT what are the Colts if we took away Unitas, Bert Jones, Manning, and the first three seasons of Griggs/Pagano/Luck??????? :funny: :funny: :funny:

If you think average is good and fine well that is your prerogative. I personally don't think  its good at all.

I think average/mediocre is actually the worst place to be. Not bad enough to get high draft picks and not good enough to make playoffs or past the first round.

Also turnover in the FO is generally much slower. people who suck at their jobs will get much more time when a team hovers around .500.

I get it there are worse franchises out there. I just have higher expectations for my teams I guess. 

10 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

If you think average is good and fine well that is your prerogative. I personally don't think  its good at all.

I think average/mediocre is actually the worst place to be. Not bad enough to get high draft picks and not good enough to make playoffs or past the first round.

Also turnover in the FO is generally much slower. people who suck at their jobs will get much more time when a team hovers around .500.

I get it there are worse franchises out there. I just have higher expectations for my teams I guess. 

I am not content with being average. Nobody always wants to be average but my point is we haven't been garbage either since Peyton left which you have already said we have been. Big difference between garbage and average. Since 2012 (after Peyton) there have been numerous teams that have been garbage compared to us. Hell, if you go by just our last 5 seasons we are still over .500 at 41-40-1. 

Thing of it is, people that aren't at least around 50 years old have never seen actual Colts garbage like us older folks. 1984-1986, and 1991 was a pile of manure compared to what everyone is watching now.

I was 13 years old in 1984 when the team moved here so I have seen almost every Colts game with my eye test. Trust me, back then people would have gave anything to have seasons like 2018 and 2020 when we truly sucked from 1984-1986. The first game I ever attended was in 1987 vs Tampa Bay - last game of the season, I wanted to see Dickerson live and we won, Dick had nearly 200 yards and we won the AFC East Division. I also got see Harbaugh live in 1996 vs the Chargers at the Dome, got his autograph, we lost that game but Harbaugh was one cool dude! I have been to around 50 games total in my life, most of them were from 1999-2013. Peyton era and Luck's first 2 years. I would usually go to 3 a year in that time frame. We didn't get LOS until 2008, I liked the Dome much better, it was louder and gave us a true home field advantage. I went to the Dallas game in 1999 and the Dome was so loud you could barely hear yourself talking when we were on defense. When I went to see the Patriots on that Sunday Night game at LOS in 2009 (4th and 2 game) it was loud but not like it was when we played Dallas. Only playoff game I ever attended was vs Denver back in 2004, talk about loud (Dome) and we blew them out of the building.

Talk about garbage teams, that would be for most seasons = the Jags and Texans who I seen a lot from 2002-2013. I have seen the Titans a few times too when they sucked. I have been around and seen it all. I quit going to games after the 2013 season, just because of my age + friends moving, and was tired of the crowds downtown. I had everything at home I needed and still do. It is much cheaper to stay at home as well. I still miss going to games from time to time. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not content with being average. Nobody always wants to be average but my point is we haven't been garbage either since Peyton left which you have already said we have been. Big difference between garbage and average. Since 2012 (after Peyton) there have been numerous teams that have been garbage compared to us. Hell, if you go by just our last 5 seasons we are still over .500 at 41-40-1. 

Thing of it is, people that aren't at least around 50 years old have never seen actual Colts garbage like us older folks. 1984-1986, and 1991 was a pile of manure compared to what everyone is watching now.

I was 13 years old in 1984 when the team moved here so I have seen almost every Colts game with my eye test. Trust me, back then people would have gave anything to have seasons like 2018 and 2020 when we truly sucked from 1984-1986. The first game I ever attended was in 1987 vs Tampa Bay - last game of the season, I wanted to see Dickerson live and we won, Dick had nearly 200 yards and we won the AFC East Division. I also got see Harbaugh live in 1996 vs the Chargers at the Dome, got his autograph, we lost that game but Harbaugh was one cool dude! I have been to around 50 games total in my life, most of them were from 1999-2013. Peyton era and Luck's first 2 years. I would usually go to 3 a year in that time frame. We didn't get LOS until 2008, I liked the Dome much better, it was louder and gave us a true home field advantage. I went to the Dallas game in 1999 and the Dome was so loud you could barely hear yourself talking when we were on defense. When I went to see the Patriots on that Sunday Night game at LOS in 2009 (4th and 2 game) it was loud but not like it was when we played Dallas. Only playoff game I ever attended was vs Denver back in 2004, talk about loud (Dome) and we blew them out of the building.

Talk about garbage teams, that would be for most seasons = the Jags and Texans who I seen a lot from 2002-2013. I have seen the Titans a few times too when they sucked. I have been around and seen it all. I quit going to games after the 2013 season, just because of my age + friends moving, and was tired of the crowds downtown. I had everything at home I needed and still do. It is much cheaper to stay at home as well. I still miss going to games from time to time. 

For craps and giggles, I was thinking at how many games I have actually been too:

1987 = Tampa Bay Bucs

1996 = Chargers

1999 = Jets, Bills, Cowboys

2000 = Jets, Bills, Vikings

2001 = Jets, Bills

2002-2013 = I seen the Texans every year (12 times), Jags (11 times) - I missed the game in 2011, Titans (10 times) - I missed the games in 2002 and 2008. Me and 3 other friends always made plans to go to the 3 division games every year when the South started. So that is 33 games alone I went too. Counting before the AFC South started, I went to 10 games, see above from 1987-2001. Other games I was lucky to see that I got tickets to = the Playoff game vs Denver in 2004 and the 2009 game vs the Pats. I also traveled to Chicago and seen the Colts play at Chicago in 2004. Edge tore them a new one. I really had to think hard about how many games I have been too. 46 total, 1 road game, 45 here. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- I still have ticket stubs to some of those games. Just bored and reminiscing over old times. One thing that still bothers me is, I never seen the Dolphins here. I wanted to see the great Dan Marino live. That was the hardest ticket and most expensive in town to get when he played.

@NFLfan, I don't think I ever told you but I went to the Vikings game back in 2000. Vikings were very good that year but we won the game to close the season.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, I could remember all the games I went too after about an hour of thinking about it and I can't even remember what I ate last week lmao 

Just shows you have your priorities straight. haha

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 6:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To all the people down on the team, let me remind you of our history. Since re-alignment of the divisions in 2002, here is what we have done since then.

2002 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2003 = 12-4 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2004 = 12-4 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2005 = 14-2 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2006 = 12-4 (4-0 in the playoffs, SB Champions) Division Champs.

2007 = 13-3 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2008 = 12-4 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2009 = 14-2 (2-1 in the playoffs, AFC Champs, lost in the SB) Division Champs.

2010 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2011 = 2-14 (no playoffs)

2012 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2013 = 11-5 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2014 = 11-5 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2015 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2016 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2017 = 4-12 (no playoffs)

2018 = 10-6 (1-1 in the playoffs)

2019 = 7-9 (no playoffs)

2020 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2021 = 9-8 (no playoffs)

2022 = 4-12-1 (no playoffs)

So I am giving everyone a 21 season sample size = 2002-2022. Here are the totals: 17 non losing seasons/at least 8 wins or more, 4 Conference Championship Games appearances = 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB appearances = 2006/2009, 1 World Championship = 2006.

Overall W/L record = regular season 205-132-1/61% winnings. You win 61% of your regular season games over 21 seasons, that is phenomenal.  If you gamble and win 61% of the time you would be a millionaire The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO). Our playoff record isn't too bad either = 13-13 which is .500 but that is against the best competition out there. 13 wins is a lot. Most franchises would kill for our success over a 21 year span since re-alignment lmao . Winning it all in 2006 plants our greatness!

We have owned the AFC South since re-alignment (9 Division Championships) and have been a top 5 team/franchise since 2002 in the whole league. So the haters can suck it lmao . FACTS ARE WONDERFUL.

I am now starting to watch the full game of the 2009 Regular Season game, Patriots at Colts. Colts come in at 8-0, Patriots 6-2. Battle of arguably the 2 greatest QB's of all-time trying to get HFA. I would rather watch this to get my mind off of things then follow the Bull Kaka that has been going on in camp. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am now starting to watch the full game of the 2009 Regular Season game, Patriots at Colts. Colts come in at 8-0, Patriots 6-2. Battle of arguably the 2 greatest QB's of all-time trying to get HFA. I would rather watch this to get my mind off of things then follow the Bull Kaka that has been going on in camp. 

Manning, Wayne, Addai, Clark, and Garçon (whatever happened to him?). The good ole days for yours truly. 

who would have thought after 09 we would only see one more full season of Peyton wearing the shoe. 

15 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Manning, Wayne, Addai, Clark, and Garçon (whatever happened to him?). The good ole days for yours truly. 

who would have thought after 09 we would only see one more full season of Peyton wearing the shoe. 

Yeah that team was a great team in 2009. Fun times indeed, we really should have went 19-0. Had we done that, we would have something no other team has accomplished. Great season, disappointing ending. We played the worst game possible against the Saints in that SB (a lot of mental blunders) and still was in it until the end. 

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that team was a great team in 2009. Fun times indeed, we really should have went 19-0. Had we done that, we would have something no other team has accomplished. Great season, disappointing ending. We played the worst game possible against the Saints in that SB (a lot of mental blunders) and still was in it until the end. 

I still think pulling the starters killed our mojo but we are staying positive! How about that 4th and 2??

1 minute ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I still think pulling the starters killed our mojo but we are staying positive! How about that 4th and 2??

I agree about the mojo thing as well. I was at the 4th and 2 game but haven't watched it in a while. That game ranks way up there as 1 of our greatest games ever.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree about the mojo thing as well. I was at the 4th and 2 game but haven't watched it in a while. That game ranks way up there as 1 of our greatest games ever.

I still think the 2005 team was on another level. I’ve never seen a team on all cylinders like that 05 team was. 13-0 until we played the chargers. 05-06-07-09 should have been what made this team a dynasty, and it just slipped through our fingers. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I still think the 2005 team was on another level. I’ve never seen a team on all cylinders like that 05 team was. 13-0 until we played the chargers. 05-06-07-09 should have been what made this team a dynasty, and it just slipped through our fingers. Oh well. 

05, 06, 09 we should have won the SB. At least we did get the one in 06. Pitt beating us in 2005 was a fluke and we would have killed Denver had we got by them, we owned them.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

While I hated the decision to sit the guys the last 2 weeks.

I don't think even if the starters played against the Jets(who we went on to beat in AFC Championship), I don't see anyway we would of sent them out there in that snow storm in Buffalo in game 16.

Just now, w87r said:

While I hated the decision to sit the guys the last 2 weeks.

I don't think even if the starters played against the Jets(who we went on to beat in AFC Championship), I don't see anyway we would of sent them out there in that snow storm in Buffalo in game 16.

That could be true. That did look like a blizzard but we didn't even try.

Archived