Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

1 minute ago, PureLuck said:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Matt Gay already had cancelled out the Okereke pick, so it doesn't matter anyway - almost guarantees now that we won't get a comp pick again this year as I don't see many of our remaining FA crossing the minimum threshold for comp picks...

Thanks. I guess any FA signing cancels out any signing by another team now.

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Is that how it works? Does it degrade our pick from say a No. 5 to a No. 6?

I’ve tried to understand compensatory picks for years, but it still gets confusing for me. The one thing I have noticed is the 49ers seem to get A TON every year. 

It isn't how it works, check out the overthecap page on comp picks, you can follow the development through all the new FA signings :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

5 sacks last year, but two blocked extra points. Will be great on STs.

wow... guys.. you're talking as if Ebukam is a special teams player! 

He's very good in pass rush (has lot of moves and counters), and in run defense mainly. He stops run well, has forced fumble at least once every year. He's forever been in the shadow of Aaron Donald and 49ers DL, so a full starting role would help him showcase his abilities. He's flexible to play multiple spots in DL as well. He's very much a starting DE, much better than Ngakoue. His ST plays are bonus.

He's a great signing from Ballard. Get to know him more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He's very good in pass rush (has lot of moves and counters), and in run defense mainly. He stops run well, has forced fumble at least once every year. He's forever been in the shadow of Aaron Donald and 49ers DL, so a full starting role would help him showcase his abilities. He's flexible to play multiple spots in DL as well. He's very much a starting DE, much better than Ngakoue. His ST plays are bonus.

Go back to the last page and read my posts beyond this one, I did get to know him more. 

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not sure you’ve seen my post in this thread?   

6 seasons.   In 4 of the 6, he played 500-550 snaps.   That’s the most he’s played.   The other two were in the 300’s.   500-550 is half a season. 

So his history says situational.   If he’s playing more snaps than Dayo, that’s a bad sign for him.   

Still…. You may be right.   Maybe.  But I wouldn’t count on it just yet.   

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure you’ve seen my post in this thread?   

6 seasons.   In 4 of the 6, he played 500-550 snaps.   That’s the most he’s played.   The other two were in the 300’s.   500-550 is half a season. 

So his history says situational.   If he’s playing more snaps than Dayo, that’s a bad sign for him.   

Still…. You may be right.   Maybe.  But I wouldn’t count on it just yet.   

oh what happened to all the positivity you try to instill.. anyway, Ebukam is a well known play maker for those who have watched their games and seen him play. 

He's been in great defenses all his career, and he's been in rotation. Both Rams and 49ers like to rotate their other DL men other than their alpha guy. Snap count and PFF grade are not tape. 

He could turn out to be average as you say when given starting role or given more snaps. But from all the games I've watched involving his teams, I've always been impressed with him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm happy you like him and hope I'm wrong here - only time will tell - the money definitely says he's not a role player, but the replacement for Yannick

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

oh what happened to all the positivity you try to instill.. anyway, Ebukam is a well known play maker for those who have watched their games and seen him play. 

He's been in great defenses all his career, and he's been in rotation. Both Rams and 49ers like to rotate their other DL men other than their alpha guy. Snap count and PFF grade are not tape. 

He could turn out to be average as you say when given starting role or given more snaps. But from all the games I've watched involving his teams, I've always been impressed with him. 

I think you’ve completely misread me.   I’ve said nothing but positive about the signing.   The ONLY thing I described as average was his run defense.   Otherwise, I think he’s better than average, especially as a pass rusher and ST player.   

My only note of caution was that he typically plays 50 percent of the snaps, so I don’t see him as a 3-down RDE.   I like the signing, the player and the price.   Maybe he plays more for the Colts, I’m just saying as of now, I wouldn’t expect it.  

I think the starting DE’s are Kwity and Dayo.   But I think the new kid will play a lot.   I’m a happy guy!   :thmup:

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The more I dig into this guy, the more i like him. He's going to fit well with our new special teams coach. He had 7 blocked XPs/FGs in Notre Dame last year by 6 different players. This is the type of guy he loves. He's also a solid situational pass rusher that could get more playing time on our team. The 49ers were stacked on the defensive line. 

Great!! So, Ballard has adjusted his philosophy from winning games in the trenches to include winning games by making FG's and blocking FG's...:lol:

Maybe in another 6 years his philosophy will include Skill positions

OMG... :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Great!! So, Ballard has adjusted his philosophy from winning games in the trenches to include winning games by making FG's and blocking FG's...:lol:

Maybe in another 6 years his philosophy will include Skill positions

OMG... :facepalm:

Pretty sick.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts need to address Oline, being Parris back, and get a corner. If that happens I think FA will be a success. Some of this can be addressed in draft.

Yeah, I like our 2nd and 3rd round picks for oline. We should be able to get one of the top two guards with the 2nd, and one of the top centers with the 3rd. Corner depth is crazy in this draft, so I’d love to pick two of them up with our 4th and 5th, and maybe a linebacker with our second 5th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Is that how it works? Does it degrade our pick from say a No. 5 to a No. 6?

I’ve tried to understand compensatory picks for years, but it still gets confusing for me. The one thing I have noticed is the 49ers seem to get A TON every year. 

I understand it pretty well but it is hard to explain. The team that was excellent at getting comp picks was Baltimore. They would let players go in free agency and would not sign as many players as what they lost. That would net them comp picks. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Ebukum signing is funny because he signed the DE that he usually draft lol. Instead of drafting a 2nd generation African DE with athleticism, he signed one. 

That may not be clear. You meant that Ballard sometimes drafts DEs from Africa (like Paye and Dayo). This time he signed a free agent DE who is from Africa.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That may not be clear. You meant that Ballard normally drafts DEs from Africa (like Paye and Dayo). This time he signed a DE who is from Africa.

Yes. Ballard has a prototype at DE that he usually drafts. High RAS, raw edge rushers who are of African descent (Banogu, Turray, Paye, Odeyingbo). I’m saying Ebukum is the type of DE that we usually see him take in the draft. Maybe I worded it poorly the first time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes. Ballard has a prototype at DE that he usually drafts. High RAS, raw edge rushers who are of African descent (Banogu, Turray, Paye, Odeyingbo). I’m saying Ebukum is the type of DE that we usually see him take in the draft. Maybe I worded it poorly the first time. 

I kinda thought these players were Americans.  Why does the color of their skin even enter the conversation?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I kinda thought these players were Americans.  Why does the color of their skin even enter the conversation?

They’re second generation African American players. Parents were from Africa. And it’s not about skin color. It’s just a funny little coincidence that all of the DEs that he drafts seem to have that in common. Sort of like the thing back in the day with the Patriots and small white receivers.

So the joke is that if there’s a second generation African DE who tests really well, you can bet he’ll probably draft them.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’ve completely misread me.   I’ve said nothing but positive about the signing.   The ONLY thing I described as average was his run defense.   Otherwise, I think he’s better than average, especially as a pass rusher and ST player.   

My only note of caution was that he typically plays 50 percent of the snaps, so I don’t see him as a 3-down RDE.   I like the signing, the player and the price.   Maybe he plays more for the Colts, I’m just saying as of now, I wouldn’t expect it.  

I think the starting DE’s are Kwity and Dayo.   But I think the new kid will play a lot.   I’m a happy guy!   :thmup:

Fair enough :P

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It is a good observation but sometimes people are sensitive to these things. Sometimes you have to explain. 

I forgot those other guys that you mentioned. 

A couple of years ago, there was an article about these players in the NFL who all seemed to be from West Africa. Some of them were Vikings players like Odenigbo, who played a bit with the Colts last year. Their parents knew nothing about football but because of their size and athleticism, they got to play football. There are many in the NFL. Just as there are many Somoans in the NFL 

28 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is a good signing by the Vikings. We also re-signed our K and long snapper. 

I like him, he seems to play a lot of man coverage if I'm not mistaken. Need to get to know more about him and how Flores designs his defense. 

This signing gives me some confidence but we needed to have Peterson and bringing him as well would've had solid CBs both sides while Booth gets better. We seem to always have one solid CB at best, and leak all over in coverage. Hopefully, they're targeting a CB in early rounds and he could contribute well this season. Maybe, another underrated CB signing or anyone in need of change of scenery might help? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Chiefs signed the DL I've always liked, Charles Omenihu. 

I liked him too.   Thought the Colts might be interested in FA.   

Then, during the playoffs, he got arrested and charged with domestic violence.   I immediately scratched off his name in my mind.   

Don’t know what happened to his legal situation?    But I think the Chiefs got a good player. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's the Ballard special. Gave Brissett more money he didn't need to give, gave Wentz more guaranteed money he didn't need to give, gave Matt Ryan more guaranteed money he didn't need to give...

• Like 2