Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

DaK can move pretty well that’s why I think he might be closer to DaK.  

Yeah, Stroud has good feet but just does not use them like Dan. More of pure pocket passer. I have seen some NFL comparables to Herbert if Stroud made the decision to run more. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dobbinblitz said:

Yeah, Stroud has good feet but just does not use them like Dan. More of pure pocket passer. I have seen some NFL comparables to Herbert if Stroud made the decision to run more. 

Both Stroud and Young are so young, 21 years or younger, they will learn.

2 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

Thanks, I hate to keep on and keep sounding like a fanboy haha.

It's OK I am a Longhorns fan so constantly stick up for Ehlinger 

Just now, chad72 said:

Both Stroud and Young are so young, 21 years or younger, they will learn.

AR15 is 21 too

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Young ability to keep his eyes downfield even when pressured is on another level.

He's very good under pressure which is something Stroud has struggled with

When I tried to read up on the analysis of this year’s top QBs, the ONLY negative I read on Young was his size.  If you spread your thumb and index finger apart for three inches, can that difference in height REALLY be that big of a difference in how effective of a pro a QB can be?

Just now, rockywoj said:

When I tried to read up on the analysis of this year’s top QBs, the ONLY negative I read on young was his size.  If you spread your thumb and index finger apart for three inches, can that difference in height REALLY be that big of a difference in how effective of a pro a QB can be?

His durability will be the true test.  I think he will be an elite QB but will only play 7 to 10 years not 12+

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

His durability will be the true test.  I think he will be an elite QB but will only play 7 to 10 years not 12+

Ballard gives out 4 and 5 year contracts only anyways. :thmup:

2 SB wins, a banged up QB, and back to the drawing board for another QB, lol :) 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Dane Burgler in his latest mock had colts trading with Chicago for young. Some of these guys don’t stop and think about who the GM is. I guess it could happen but I just don’t see it.

Young is immensely talented in every aspect! If Ballard feels he can build an offense to support him then he should.

The only knock on Young is his size if he was Stroud Levis or AR15 size he would be a generational QB

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is coming from an angle of "uncomfortable with pressure down the middle". Once the OL became Top 10, Goff is looking like a great QB, isn't he? However, if the OL breaks down, he is pedestrian compared to a Burrow or Allen or Mahomes, that is the difference.

Of the 4, the one who can escape the best and throw under pressure the best, should our OL not make a huge comeback is........

wait for it..

someone most of us are not fans of...

Bryce Young. :) 

Yeah. Young has great escapability and can create off a broken play. 

You just don't want to have call an ambulance by half-time when he broken in half like a match stick by a 310lb defensive lineman at the NFL level.

Stroud did answer some of those pressure question marks you are referring to against a stout Georgia defense.

3 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Yeah. Young has great escapability and can create off a broken play. 

You just don't want to have call an ambulance by half-time when he broken in half like a match stick by a 310lb defensive lineman at the NFL level.

Stroud did answer some of those pressure question marks you are referring to against a stout Georgia defense.

Players are faster and bigger in the NFL. Maybe that doesn’t translate to the NFL.  I would be holding my breath every time he got sacked. He barely got touched at Alabama.

That Georgia defense was as close to a nfl defense stroud will see too.

41 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah without making a prediction ( I've said these things in other threads), Young is so small. Skinny and a narrow frame and doesn't look like a NFL Qb.  Maybe a corner.  But with QB protection rules size probably matters less than it used to.  But God he's small.

Stroud looked great in the Semi under at times intense pressure.  But I am skeptical of Bama and OSU Qbs. lol. 

Levis has a Marino release and Marino was pretty bad his senior year too.  He dropped to the bottom of the 1st.  Whether he will be good or not is beyond me, but 30 second of his vid posted here the other day had me thinking Wow.  Look at that. 

Yeah.  His tape looks like he has made the most NFL throws in the most NFL like situations.  He looks like a pro.  I think his issue is excitability and decision making,

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Players are faster and bigger in the NFL. Maybe that doesn’t translate to the NFL.  I would be holding my breath every time he got sacked. He barely got touched at Alabama.

Yeah it is too bad really. If Young was 6'3" 220 there is no discussion - it's a slam dunk consensus #1 franchise type QB.

Problem is many of these 340 lb NFL DL run 4.7-4.8.

17 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That Georgia defense was as close to a nfl defense stroud will see too.

Ohio State has a much better OL than Alabama so this idea that Young is never touched is wrong.

Look at the sacks especially 2021

Screenshot_20230117-143931_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230117-143959_Samsung Internet.jpg

In 2021 Young was sacked 3x as Stroud

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ohio State has a much better OL than Alabama so this idea that Young is never touched is wrong.

Look at the sacks especially 2021

Screenshot_20230117-143931_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230117-143959_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks like Young and Strouds numbers went way down in 2022.

I know Young missed a few games from injury in 2022

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He missed games? Ok I am really out on him.

Levis chose not to play his bowl game because he didn't wanna get killed behind that Kentucky line

If Levis goes to the Senior Bowl and balls out I fully expect Ballard to get him 

47 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I have not looked back, but to my recollection during the Manning vs Leaf debate, a debate in which I was FIRMLY in the Manning corner, I do not recall ever hearing Leaf compared to Marino.  I can’t say my memory is not flawed, but nope, never heard Marino mentioned as a Leaf comp. 

Leaf had superior arm strength to Manning by quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  Just saying the dude elite arm strength and quick release.

marino was not highly thought of out of college BTW because he was turnover prone. lol. 

Listening to George Bremers podcast. Has a media guy from OSU on. Mentioned how Justin fields even wanted to stay in the pocket more at OSU. He thinks stroud is much better crested then he had showed. A lot to do with the WR OSU has. Mentioning his touch is really good. He says his presnap recognition is really good. Good anticipation too.

Look at these QB numbers, very Dak Like

Passing

G   Att   Comp  Pct.    Yards    Yards/Att   TD     Int    Rating   Att/G   Yards/G

15  454  310      68.3   4127     9.1             27     7     161.19   30.3      275.1

Rushing

G    Att  Yards   Avg.    TD    Att/G    Yards/G

15   57   205     3.60     10      3.80      13.67

Who could this be ?

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Look at these QB numbers, very Dak Like

Passing

G   Att   Comp  Pct.    Yards    Yards/Att   TD     Int    Rating   Att/G   Yards/G

15  454  310      68.3   4127     9.1             27     7     161.19   30.3      275.1

Rushing

G    Att  Yards   Avg.    TD    Att/G    Yards/G

15   57   205     3.60     10      3.80      13.67

Who could this be ?

This would be hilarious if that was Dak actually 

14 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Looks like Young and Strouds numbers went way down in 2022.

I know Young missed a few games from injury in 2022

I believe Young’s numbers went down  simply because Alabama played two fewer games and had fewer dangerous receivers 

But Alabama played 13 games in 2022 (15 in 2021) and he started every game.  So I’m not sure about any injuries he may have suffered. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Young’s numbers went down  simply because Alabama played two fewer games and had fewer dangerous receivers 

But Alabama played 13 games in 2022 (15 in 2021) and he started every game.  So I’m not sure about any injuries he may have suffered. 

He missed the Arkansas game this year. The very next game vs Tennessee he put up 450 yards 2 TDs and 0 picks in a 52-49 loss.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just think our offense would have a higher ceiling with one of the other Quargerbacks 

My question to you though is what are you basing that on? Outside of being smaller and (potentially) being more susceptible to injuries, what does he not have that the others do?

Just now, C_Lew said:

Yeah, which means he missed one game. Started all 15 last year and started 12 of the 13 this season.

One game he was pulled early running to the sidelines and injured his shoulder.

I think he missed the next game after that.

IMO, he lost alot of zip on his passes after the injury which is understandable.

3 minutes ago, C_Lew said:

My question to you though is what are you basing that on? Outside of being smaller and (potentially) being more susceptible to injuries, what does he not have that the others do?

Maybe I need to watch more but I see a good passer but I just don’t see a creator. I feel like everything would have to be perfect for him to be successful.

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Listening to George Bremers podcast. Has a media guy from OSU on. Mentioned how Justin fields even wanted to stay in the pocket more at OSU. He thinks stroud is much better crested then he had showed. A lot to do with the WR OSU has. Mentioning his touch is really good. He says his presnap recognition is really good.

Interesting suggestion today from Nick Wright on Cowherd’s show.  He suggested a straight up trade Lamar Jackson for Fields.  He thinks Jackson is heading for a break up with the Ravens and the Bears have the cap space to give him a big contract.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Multiple? Your talking probably one future first in 24. This draft they are just switching picks.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not that hard to move on if they aren’t showing  anything by the third year. It’s not like you are giving up 4 first round picks. The lost draft picks have to be supplemented in FA. 

You’re not getting the number 1 overall pick for a single future 1st round pick. That’s insane. They’re gonna demand multiple. Heck, in 2012, the rams for 3 additional future first round picks for pick number 2. 

Archived