Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Commanders / Eagles - Monday Night Football

BlueShoe

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching that final Peyton playoff game as a Colt vs 2010 Jets.

A couple of times, against an aggressive D, he got the blocking going one way with the edge guy uncovered by the OL with the RB going the other way on a 3rd down and 7 once and on a 3rd down and 6 once both times picking up first downs. You can run on a 3rd and 5 if you get your blocking right against an aggressive D. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think we can run against the Eagles. 

The Eagles pass defense looks legit though. 

Yep, don't mess passing around against that D. FA additions of Reddick, Quinn, A J Brown plus Hargrave on DL on top of their existing Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham with Bradberry and Slay at corner has this team buzzing on talent on both sides, IMO. 

You need difference makers at skill positions like McLaurin who went up against Gilmore and got it, the alpha types like Mike Evans, CeeDee Lamb types to make key plays against Ds like them.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I was watching that final Peyton playoff game as a Colt vs 2010 Jets.

A couple of times, against an aggressive D, he got the blocking going one way with the edge guy uncovered by the OL with the RB going the other way on a 3rd down and 7 once and on a 3rd down and 6 once both times picking up first downs. You can run on a 3rd and 5 if you get your blocking right against an aggressive D. 

Peyton was the master at the 3rd and five draw play. 

I think the Eagles are beatable. 

Our defense is going to have its work cut out though. They have 100 backs and Hurts is probably going to escape the pocket on us a few times. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, don't mess passing around against that D. FA additions of Reddick, Quinn, A J Brown plus Hargrave on DL on top of their existing Fletcher Cox and Brandon Graham with Bradberry and Slay at corner has this team buzzing on talent on both sides, IMO. 

You need difference makers at skill positions like McLaurin who went up against Gilmore and got it, the alpha types like Mike Evans, CeeDee Lamb types to make key plays against Ds like them.

It’s a loaded roster. 

Jeff said he has done some extensive study on the Eagles this season. We are going to need an exceptional game plan. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Okay… So how do we stop Goedert, and cover those outside receivers? This is going to be tough. 

You can't blitz either because Hurts will break containment. It seems like the Eagles have become a passing team over a running team. You concede the run, play safeties deep with a spy on Hurts. Invite them to run and see if they will remain patient or get impatient and force 3rd down stops or FGs which would be wins for us.

I remember Belichick during Peyton's 2013 record breaking year giving up the run to Knowshon Moreno to the amount of 225 yards in Foxboro and Peyton wisely took it. However, it put Peyton out of rhythm when they had to convert key 3rd downs later in the game because he didn't get a chance to establish rhythm in the passing game with 3 other pass catchers in D. Thomas, Eric Decker, and Julius Thomas. Patriots came away with a FG win eventually by restricting the Broncos passing game. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You can't blitz either because Hurts will break containment. It seems like the Eagles have become a passing team over a running team. You concede the run, play safeties deep with a spy on Hurts. Invite them to run and see if they will remain patient or get impatient and force 3rd down stops or FGs which would be wins for us.

I remember Belichick during Peyton's 2013 record breaking year giving up the run to Knowshon Moreno to the amount of 225 yards in Foxboro and Peyton wisely took it. However, it put Peyton out of rhythm when they had to convert key 3rd downs later in the game because he didn't get a chance to establish rhythm in the passing game with 3 other pass catchers in D. Thomas, Eric Decker, and Julius Thomas. Patriots came away with a FG win eventually by restricting the Broncos passing game. 

Our defensive line with Stewart having a great year… Might not be a bad idea. Drop everyone and send 4. 

We need to slow play this game on offense. The Commanders are doing a good job with this tonight. 

Heavy dose of running too. The Commanders are running well out of 11 personnel against the Eagles Nickel too. That’s kind of surprising. 

Pittman and Parris will find some holes in that zone. I’m not a fan of forcing 50/50 balls to Pierce in this game though. 

On defense, send 4, drop everyone else. Try to keep Big Stew fresh. 

If there ever was a game we needed some turnovers. It would be great to get some in this game. This a game we could have really used a healthy Leonard. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

We need to slow play this game on offense. The Commanders are doing a good job with this tonight. 

Heavy dose of running too. The Commanders are running well out of 11 personnel against the Eagles Nickel too. That’s kind of surprising. 

Pittman and Parris will find some holes in that zone. I’m not a fan of forcing 50/50 balls to Pierce in this game though. 

On defense, send 4, drop everyone else. Try to keep Big Stew fresh. 

If there ever was a game we needed some turnovers. It would be great to get some in this game. This a game we could have really used a healthy Leonard. 

Like I said before, low number of possessions, keep the ball by running it, force them to go out of nickel completely by punishing them with blocking TEs and staying patient, and then...you force them to play 3 LBs or 3 safeties and pass then. 

On D, send 4, drop everyone else with a spy with active hands to get stops on 3rd downs. It is almost like how the Bengals played Mahomes in the 2nd half of the AFCCG to take away his runs but also his passing by dropping everyone and stopping the run with their front 4 or sometimes even 3 on 3rd and longs, with a lighter DE spy. 

It is only theory because they have playmakers like A J Brown that will break open the game at any time. But we can try. :) 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Like I said before, low number of possessions, keep the ball by running it, force them to go out of nickel completely by punishing them with blocking TEs and staying patient, and then...you force them to play 3 LBs or 3 safeties and pass then. 

On D, send 4, drop everyone else with a spy with active hands to get stops on 3rd downs. It is almost like how the Bengals played Mahomes in the 2nd half of the AFCCG to take away his runs but also his passing by dropping everyone and stopping the run with their front 4 or sometimes even 3 on 3rd and longs, with a lighter DE spy. 

It is only theory because they have playmakers like A J Brown that will break open the game at any time. But we can try. :) 

I’m thinking the Eagles secondary is better than their linebackers. We can force them into base, by running some 12 personnel. That pulls Pierce off the field and adds MAC, but he cannot block worth a crap. 

Our tight end situation really hurts us. 

Another option is to force them to keep 4 defensive backs on the field, by running 2 back sets. 

I think 21 personnel with Granson is the best answer next week. 

1 minute ago, Happy2BeHere said:

I sure hope the eagles lose. I’d rather play them after a loss personally. 

No but we do have Pryor…that’s pretty scary 

Over 60 minutes, when the talent on the roster has to step up, it typically does. That is why the Eagles will end up winning against the Commanders. 

Over 60 minutes, when the talent on the roster has to step up, it typically does. That is why the Eagles will end up winning against the Commanders. 

I don’t know…commanders about to take the lead here I think…it’s doable they win this game. Their defense is pretty good and the offense is good enough to score.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Wow! Commanders take the lead. 

Commanders have been good ever since they went to Heinecke. Close wins vs Packers and Colts, and a close loss to the Vikings, they are playing smart and are giving themselves a chance to be in games consistently. It also tells me the Vikings are a really sound team that finds different ways to win games and if the adage "it is not who you play, it is when you play them" is true, the Vikings win over the Commanders tells me they are a really good team beyond their record.

Commanders have been good ever since they went to Heinecke. Close wins vs Packers and Colts, and a close loss to the Vikings, they are playing smart and are giving themselves a chance to be in games consistently. It also tells me the Vikings are a really sound team that finds different ways to win games and if the adage "it is not who you play, it is when you play them" is true, the Vikings win over the Commanders tells me they are a really good team beyond their record.

Yeah. They certainly brought the right game plan tonight too. 

Archived