Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL officiating

hoosierhawk

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The last report I saw was the league wants full time officials it’s the officials union that doesn’t want them.  The reason for that is a lot of these guys have very high paying jobs as their full time jobs and don’t want to give those up.  

Yeah, I read that too.  If the NFL wanted to make it happen, they could do it.  

What could the ref union do if the NFL decided to replace them?   

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, I read that too.  If the NFL wanted to make it happen, they could do it.  

What could the ref union do if the NFL decided to replace them?   

I am pretty sure their contract prevents the NFL from doing that.  If it doesn’t their CBA is worthless and there is no way a group at this high of a level over looked that.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

They get involved on replays and talks to the officials on headsets and ear peaces they wear so you aren’t going to see it or really notice it which is by design.

That may be true but how many bad calls have been over turned when it was an obvious bad call?  

Example: most football fans know the difference between a tackle and roughing the passer call. Those types of calls can no doubt effect the outcome of a game.  

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am pretty sure their contract prevents the NFL from doing that.  If it doesn’t their CBA is worthless and there is no way a group at this high of a level over looked that.  

You are correct, the refs contract goes to 2025.  What’s odd is that the replay officials have a separate contract that goes to 2027.  

But there’s still no reason that the NFL couldn’t say that at the end of that contract they’re going to full time employees.  The union could either go along or disband. It’s not like they have any power. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That may be true but how many bad calls have been over turned when it was an obvious bad call?  

Example: most football fans know the difference between a tackle and roughing the passer call. Those types of calls can no doubt effect the outcome of a game.  

They can’t over turn those calls because they aren’t subject to replay.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

You are correct, the refs contract goes to 2025.  What’s odd is that the replay officials have a separate contract that goes to 2027.  

But there’s still no reason that the NFL couldn’t say that at the end of that contract they’re going to full time employees.  The union could either go along or disband. It’s not like they have any power. 

They could push for it but if the union doesn’t agree to it then it becomes a point of inpass and no agreement is in place and saw what happened last time the league reached that point with the officials.  We got replacement officials who were way worse and within a couple of weeks the NFL was pretty much forced to agree to the unions positions.  

You can’t just get ride of a union because you find what they want inconvenient and you want something else.  That’s highly illegal.  You can use nonunion employees if a contract isn’t in place but the problem for the NFL here is that the nonunion employees aren’t nearly as good as the union employees and the players, coaches and fans won’t put up with them for long.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Let me say a couple of things first.

1.  The NFL officials are light years better than college officials so they really do have the best guys out there.

2.  Your point is a good and fair one especially about bang bang plays and frankly NFL officials get it right way more often than they don’t.

3.  All officials are going to miss a call here and there.

Now, I think what most people are looking at are calls that are just horrible and you are left wondering how on earth can anyone miss that?  In Booger’s case alone it’s been three weeks of just horridness calls.  He’s just not very good at what he does.  However, he’s one person.  Frankly I think it’s his performance that is making people go really?  

My thing with Boger is that he often seems confused, and his crew seems to have unexplained delays a couple times a game. Between that, and him not being very articulate, it seems like he and his crew aren't very good, and it makes it easy to call him out as a bad ref. I have no idea how his crew grades out in general, but I know I cringe whenever his crew is assigned a Colts game. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

My thing with Boger is that he often seems confused, and his crew seems to have unexplained delays a couple times a game. Between that, and him not being very articulate, it seems like he and his crew aren't very good, and it makes it easy to call him out as a bad ref. I have no idea how his crew grades out in general, but I know I cringe whenever his crew is assigned a Colts game. 

You sir, are a sight for sore eyes. Glad to see you back!

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Good to see you back!

Archived