Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - 2023 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually thought we got screwed in game 7 at Chicago in the 1998 ECFinals. The Refs let the Bulls get away with everything and when they were on offense they were just throwing bodies at our players when they got in the paint at the end of the game and a foul was called everytime. Despite all of that - we only lost by 3 points, we were the 1 team that scared the crap out of them in a game 7. We had them beat. Phil Jackson even looked worried. 

Yeah my buddy and me were talking about this last week.

My son's (20+18) were surprised we haven't had a top 5 pick since 87. They just didn't realize how good the Pacers have been and for how long. Model of consistency.

Many championship level teams throughout the years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding your post about Donaghy, I thought it was hilarious you said his full name haha . Yeah he was one of a kind.

Yeah, I know.

I googled because I wanted to spell his last name right and saw it. Copy/Paste. 

• Like 1

Just now, w87r said:

Yeah my buddy and me were talking about this last week.

My son's (20+18) were surprised we haven't had a top 5 pick since 87. They just didn't realize how good the Pacers have been and for how long. Model of consistency.

Many championship level teams throughout the years.

Yep. It started in 1994, from 1994-2004 we made 6 ECFinals and an NBA Finals. Then of course took the Heat and their all-star team 7 games in 2013 in the ECFinals. We have had some spectacular memories from Reggie and Rik to Paul George and David West, Roy Hibbert was even good for like 3 years, he gave the Heat fits lmao .

• Like 1

@2006Coltsbestevernot looking good for heat tonight.

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/

Ol Scotty Foster

We already established his record on Heat games.

The interesting number, though, comes from the Heat, who went 0-5 during the regular season when Foster was a referee. Entering this series, the Heat had actually lost 12 of their last 13 games officiated by Foster. (The Heat went 1-1 vs. the Knicks this postseason in games officiated by Foster.)

13 of 14 after game 4.

• Like 1

I'm really not much into basketball, but with all the hype about the Heat-Celtics game I placed a small wager on Miami. They are the underdogs, and would bring me a larger payout than going with the Celtics. I wouldn't win a fortune, but a small amount is good, and it's fun. If I lose, no big deal as I don't spend much.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It figures, freakin Scott Foster. That is the cherry on top chuckling homer simpson GIF

Told you, this used to be the first thing I would do on game days. Check referee assignment.

I just don't see why the NBA continues to let this happen. They have to know these numbers as well.

Just not a good look.

Ultimately it will come down to the players.

Heat got the split with Knicks this playoffs, with Foster(only Heat win in last 14, Foster ref'd), so I guess there is a chance.

Come down to who can over come calls and make some shots.

Another little tidbit from Game 6. Heat actually got the wrong calls in their favor at the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I'm really not much into basketball, but with all the hype about the Heat-Celtics game I placed a small wager on Miami. They are the underdogs, and would bring me a larger payout than going with the Celtics. I wouldn't win a fortune, but a small amount is good, and it's fun. If I lose, no big deal as I don't spend much.

Yep. Nobody is picking Miami tonight. CBS Radio, ESPN, NBA Network, etc. all saying Boston big. Go Miami! Happy Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA

5 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Good luck.

Already underdogs on the road, now faced with having Scott Foster as lead official. Not looking good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Told you, this used to be the first thing I would do on game days. Check referee assignment.

I just don't see why the NBA continues to let this happen. They have to know these numbers as well.

Just not a good look.

Ultimately it will come down to the players.

Heat got the split with Knicks this playoffs, with Foster(only Heat win in last 14, Foster ref'd), so I guess there is a chance.

Come down to who can over come calls and make some shots.

Another little tidbit from Game 6. Heat actually got the wrong calls in their favor at the end.

When Dick Bavetta used to do Pacers games, especially against the Knicks in the playoffs, I knew that was bad lmao . I used to call him Nick Bavetta.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep. Nobody is picking Miami tonight. CBS Radio, ESPN, NBA Network, etc. all saying Boston big. Go Miami! Happy Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA

I'm still pulling for Boston.

Hmm, maybe not, if it would help us get Brown. :thinking:

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nick Bavetta

Knick Bavetta

Just now, w87r said:

I'm still pulling for Boston.

Hmm, maybe not, if it would help us get Brown. :thinking:

I want Miami, 1st reason is, I think if they lose they will move Brown. 2nd reason is, I don't want any chance of them winning their 18th Championship. They would have more than Lakers. 3rd reason is, I have hated that franchise forever when they basically bought the league in the 60's and got every great player and won 100 championships it seemed liked. I wasn't born yet but that history came up during the 80's a lot. In the 80's I liked the Lakers as well and hated Boston then. I respected Larry Bird and have him in my top 10 players of all-time but hated the franchise. Then when Kobe's Lakers battled them in 2008 and 2010, they were a dirty team, cheap dirty fouling by Perkins and Garnett. 

I hope Miami wins but keeping it real, I see Boston winning tonight unfortunately.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want Miami, 1st reason is, I think if they lose they will move Brown. 2nd reason is, I don't want any chance of them winning their 18th Championship. They would have more than Lakers. 3rd reason is, I have hated that franchise forever when they basically bought the league in the 60's and got every great player and won 100 championships it seemed liked. I wasn't born yet but that history came up during the 80's a lot. In the 80's I liked the Lakers as well and hated Boston then. I respected Larry Bird and have him in my top 10 players of all-time but hated the franchise. Then when Kobe's Lakers battled them in 2008 and 2010, they were a dirty team, cheap dirty fouling by Perkins and Garnett. 

I hope Miami wins but keeping it real, I see Boston winning tonight unfortunately.

I hear you, I actually hate everything about Boston. Most of all their fans.

I took share that Lakers love, but can't again until LeBron is gone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

I hear you, I actually hate everything about Boston. Most of all their fans.

I took share that Lakers love, but can't again until LeBron is gone.

Yeah I can't stand LeBron either. He just doesn't look right in a Laker uniform. It looks fake, or just to me at least it is not the same as the Lakers having Magic and Kobe. 

I am off work tonight, I work 3rd shift so off until Tuesday night. I have been watching old Pacers highlights on youtube. Our 1994, 1995, 1998 and 2000 teams were great. Beating the Knicks in the semi's in 1995 was a classic series. We had playoff Reggie, now the Heat need playoff Jimmy tonight. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This just gets better by the moment. As Arnold would say, when is the next mind wreck coming haha . Of course Arny used a different word instead of wreck. arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

I might go put some money on the Heat.

Seems to many odds are stacking against them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Game was over when Tatum got hurt on first play.

Brown is so lazy with the ball. They can keep him.

We'll just use our assets to trade up and get Miller.

How about those mighty Heat? This made my whole week watching the Celtics get punked in a Game 7 on their home floor when nobody gave the Heat a chance tonight Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons. The east coast biased is sickening and Boston fans in general are rude and snobs. Jimmy Butler sent them fishing Happy Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA

• Like 1

I am happy today. ESPN and other analysts never gave Miami a chance. Everyone seemed to be on the Celtics bandwagon. What do they know? Even though the Celtics were favored, I had a feeling that the Heat would come back to life.  I didn't win a lot because the bet was small, but I have an extra amount in my account. That's always a good start to the day.

• Like 1

I may now get back to watching the NBA more next season. What these playoffs have shown me that the game is definitely not rigged. I never thought it was anyway but I thought for sure the Refs would help the Lakers and Celtics a lot to get to the Finals = (which means altered, different from rigged). If the game was rigged there would never be a Nuggets vs Heat series. Nuggets are a small market team that have 1 Superstar in Jokic that gets overlooked league wise and the Heat have 1 semi-superstar in Butler and a bunch of role players. I will watch these Finals and hope for some great NBA basketball. I have no dog in the fight here. I am not even going to bet on the series either, I just want to sit back and watch 2 teams that nobody thought would be here. I hope the series goes 7.

I was looking at the players over the years that have been considered great that don't have a ring. To the novice fan, some would be shocked at how many players haven't won one.

Since 1980

Karl Malone

Charles Barkley

John Stockton

Reggie Miller

Patrick Ewing

James Harden

Joel Embiid

CP3

Paul George

Jayson Tatum

Steve Nash

-Those are just 11 names off the top of my head that haven't won a ring.

Now you have Nikola Jokic (Joker) and Jimmy Butler, who gets the ultimate prize? Neither have a ring.

My early pick, Nuggets in 7 but the Heat are gritty and scrappy. This will be an interesting series. The Nuggets don't want to give the Heat any life early in the series as in, they better win the 1st 2 games in Denver. If the Heat get a split going back to Miami, look out.

• Like 1

ESPN came out with a new top 5 of all-time players list as of 2023, their list is:

5. Magic Johnson

4. Bill Russell

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

2. LeBron James

1. Michael Jordan

- There panel consist of the guys that work there and analyze all the games = people like Stephen A. Smith, Mike Greenberg, JJ Redick, Tim Legler, Brian Windhorst. It was a list that those guys ended up agreeing on.

Bill Simmons who wrote a book on the top 100 players of all-time, came out with his recent top 5 (2023) - it has changed from his book which he wrote in 2010, he has:

5. Magic Johnson

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

3. Bill Russell

2. LeBron James

1. Michael Jordan

Mine as of 2023 is:

5. Kobe Bryant - what put him in my top 5 was, him winning the Back to Back Championships without Shaq = 2009, 2010. His 2nd best player was Pau Gasol and the rest of the team were role players that were ok but weren't great. (Associated with the LA Lakers)

4. LeBron James (associated with the Cleveland Cavaliers)

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (associated with the LA Lakers)

2. Magic Johnson (associated with the LA Lakers)

1. Michael Jordan (associated with the Chicago Bulls)

-I think both ESPN and Bill Simmons rank Bill Russell way too high. Simmons is from Boston though and loves the Celtics. It is because of Championships so I get it but he wasn't even better than Shaq O'Neal IMO. Shaq was way more dominant offensively. I do have Bill Russell in my top 10 but not top 5. I think Wilt Chamberlain was actually a better player compared to Russell as well, he just didn't win like Russell. When it comes to Larry Bird, that was my toughest top 5 omission, but IMO Kobe was a hair better. Bird is the greatest Celtic in NBA history not Russell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

ESPN came out with a new top 5 of all-time players list as of 2023, their list is:

5. Magic Johnson

4. Bill Russell

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

2. LeBron James

1. Michael Jordan

- There panel consist of the guys that work there and analyze all the games = people like Stephen A. Smith, Mike Greenberg, JJ Redick, Tim Legler, Brian Windhorst. It was a list that those guys ended up agreeing on.

Bill Simmons who wrote a book on the top 100 players of all-time, came out with his recent top 5 (2023) - it has changed from his book which he wrote in 2010, he has:

5. Magic Johnson

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

3. Bill Russell

2. LeBron James

1. Michael Jordan

Mine as of 2023 is:

5. Kobe Bryant - what put him in my top 5 was, him winning the Back to Back Championships without Shaq = 2009, 2010. His 2nd best player was Pau Gasol and the rest of the team were role players that were ok but weren't great. (Associated with the LA Lakers)

4. LeBron James (associated with the Cleveland Cavaliers)

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (associated with the LA Lakers)

2. Magic Johnson (associated with the LA Lakers)

1. Michael Jordan (associated with the Chicago Bulls)

-I think both ESPN and Bill Simmons rank Bill Russell way too high. Simmons is from Boston though and loves the Celtics. It is because of Championships so I get it but he wasn't even better than Shaq O'Neal IMO. Shaq was way more dominant offensively. I do have Bill Russell in my top 10 but not top 5. I think Wilt Chamberlain was actually a better player compared to Russell as well, he just didn't win like Russell. When it comes to Larry Bird, that was my toughest top 5 omission, but IMO Kobe was a hair better. Bird is the greatest Celtic in NBA history not Russell.

Bill Russell is a top 10 player of all-time just based off his defense, rebounding, leadership, and winning but the people that rank him top 5 put too much weight on his Championships. Back when he played it was easier to win a Championship, 8 of his 11 Championships won his teams only had to win 2 series to do so and the league had a lot less teams. Some don't even know that. Boston had all the great players, only competition they had was Wilt and Wilt couldn't do it by himself. The Lakers had Elgin Baylor and Jerry West but after that were thin. Boston had several all-stars on their teams every year. Put Wilt on the Celtics (take Russell off) during the 60's they would have never lost.

• Like 1

I don't factor in Championships too much.   Today is the era of "super teams", so that should be considered. 

I have Jordan as the best of all time by far.   I also have Larry Bird in the top 5. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Myles said:

I don't factor in Championships too much.   Today is the era of "super teams", so that should be considered. 

I have Jordan as the best of all time by far.   I also have Larry Bird in the top 5. 

This too. Forming super teams is something I am against, basically cheating the salary cap and big markets can pay the luxury tax. I hated what Lebron did going to Miami in his prime. It assured him that he would win a Championship. Made it easier for him. Having said that, I still think Lebron would have won at least one Championship without doing so. The one he won in Cleveland was his best by far In beating the Warriors when he went back. Lebron earned that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh yeah, I'm fine. We'll see what happens. Still 5 games to go. :) 

I won 100 dollars tonight, I bet on Miami. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) I knew they would win tonight because Denver was due for a loss and Miami only shot 2 FT's last game so I figured the REFS would help Miami out more tonight. Joker still did his thing looking like Magic Johnson lmao . 

Having said that, Denver does have the better team and still should win the series but this makes it interesting at least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I won 100 dollars tonight, I bet on Miami. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO) I knew they would win tonight because Denver was due for a loss and Miami only shot 2 FT's last game so I figured the REFS would help Miami out more tonight. Joker still did his thing looking Magic Johnson lmao . 

Having said that, Denver does have the better team and still should win the series but this makes it interesting at least. 

Yeah, I actually thought Miami would win as well. 

I don't want it interesting though. I wanted a 4-0 sweep lol! haha 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

This is legit the worst game I have seen ref'd. That's saying a lot.

The whole game has been trash.

I don't even really care who wins.

Thing is, I thought the REFS were terrible in game 1, they favored Denver bigtime there. How does a team only shoot 2 FT's. I thought tonight Miami got a lot of calls but after game 1 I expected it.

I listen to CBS sports radio a lot, this guy name Shep is a joke. Last series every time Tatum would have a bad game vs Miami, he would say the guy will never lead a team to a championship, then when Tatum would have a great game he would say, Tatum is a franchise player. He said Boston was going to destroy Miami after Miami lost game 6, WRONG. Last night he was saying Miami had no chance in this series and they were toast, WRONG! He was calling Denver a Dynasty - I mean come on dude! He also said he could beat Mike Tyson in a Boxing match because he is 36 years old and Tyson is old. He wants to fight Tyson. I wish he would so I don't have to hear from him anymore chuckling homer simpson GIF. Tyson would knock this guy out within 2 minutes, this Shep guy is thin and weighs maybe a buck 80. Who hires these fools?

I weigh 200 pound, I will train for 3 months as far as running and hit the heavy bag and I would take that dude on. I used to run 7 miles a day up until I was roughly 40 and I can still bench 225 pound down to chest and up and I am 51. Back in the day I put up 275 once. I would put the ol' Homer on him The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)- Homer in 3 lmao .

I love JR who does the Sport Brief, that guy knows his stuff and is smart, his side kick Shep is a different story. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thing is, I thought the REFS were terrible in game 1, they favored Denver bigtime there. How does a team only shoot 2 FT's. I thought tonight Miami got a lot of calls but after game 1 I expected it.

Nah, game 1 was fine.

Miami wasn't aggressive at all, just kept jacking up 3's and jump shots. Even said so themselves.

Last night was something else and a reason why the NBA product isn't very good. Let's even say what you said is true, refs shouldn't go into a game with the intent to "make up" for last games calls. Refs always have there moments, where they put their stamp on the game, last night it was literally from the opening tip on. 

Not even all about foul calls. 3 straight loose in balls that seemed to be off Miami, but possession given to Miami. Obvious goaltend at the end in a 3 point game.

Think that was my last game of the season. Don't really care who wins, but I have no interest in watching garbage like that.

I will tune back in for Ja punishment and the draft.