Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - 2023 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

On 10/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, Basketball is back, I always do my top 5 players to enter the year and who will be in the Finals, my top 5 players of all-time since the merger hasn't change (since 1977) =

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. LeBron James

5. Kobe Bryant

-that is since the merger = 1977 to now, LeBron is going to pass Kareem for the scoring championship sometime this year which is a hell of an achievement.

My top 5 this year entering 2022-2023 =

1. Steph Curry

2. Giannis

3. Kevin Durant

4. Luka - Dallas could make the Finals because of him.

5. LeBron - even at 38 years old, dude is still top 5. I don't see the Lakers doing anything though.

Joker is the MVP so he needs to be mentioned.

If we can get Westbrook I would do it. That would at least make our team exciting, and he is still a very good player. Watching a great fastbreak is entertaining. He can't shoot but is a triple double machine and unstoppable going to the basket. He is just a bad fit in LA.

My Finals pick Bucks over Mavs

My Mavs prediction to go to the Finals was an awful prediction. Of course that prediction was before the Suns got Kevin Durant. I haven't posted in here much but since the Suns got Durant I have been telling everyone outside of here that the Suns are going to win it all. The combo of he and Booker is lethal. Ayton is a solid Big as well and CP3 still has game.

My finals pick heading into the playoffs, Suns vs Bucks. Suns in 6.

On 3/5/2023 at 3:47 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is only March 5th but as of now my early Finals prediction is a rematch of 2 years ago = Suns vs Bucks. Assuming both teams stay healthy throughout the playoffs. Durant will get the Suns back to the Finals, can they finish, not sure? Booker and Durant is a hell of a combo + CP3 still has a little a bit in the tank. Giannis to me is the best player in the league and he has Middleton and Holiday both healthy as of now, Bucks are tough. 

I did post here on March 5th, Suns/Bucks. Durant just changed everything.

16 hours ago, Myles said:

Honestly, I don't think I will watch a minute of the NBA playoffs.  No interest at all.  Might be different if the Pacers were competitive but not sure. 

That is the only time I do watch anymore, I would say last 5 years or so it has been like that. I just follow the regular season enough to see who is good or bad, then go off that. Playoffs are still entertaining because now it is up in the air. There are about 6 or 7 teams that can win it all.

On 4/17/2023 at 4:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is the only time I do watch anymore, I would say last 5 years or so it has been like that. I just follow the regular season enough to see who is good or bad, then go off that. Playoffs are still entertaining because now it is up in the air. There are about 6 or 7 teams that can win it all.

I'm like that with the NHL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a funky feeling the Lakers are going to win it all. They just wiped their feet on the Warriors home floor in Game 1. LeBron isn't Lebron of 3 years ago but he is still a top 10 player in the league. His presence alone is helping guys like Reaves, DLo, and Hachimura to excel to greatness, and Anthony Davis is healthy and flat out dominant on both ends of the court. A 5th ring for LeBron would catapult his legacy if he wins with this group. I would honestly have to say he is 2nd all-time if the Lakers win it all. It would be:

1. Jordan = still, but not by much. Jordan still has his 6-0 in Finals and he has won 6 Finals MVP's + 5 League MVP's.

2. LeBron = being either the best player or 2nd best player on a championship team at 38 years old is insane. He just beat Kareem's scoring record as well to become the all-time leading scorer. He would match Magic with 5 championships if he pulls this off.

3. Magic  = won Finals MVP as a rookie, won 5 championships overall, 3 Finals MVP's, 3 League MVP's. All-time leader in Assist average per season at 11.2 over 12 seasons.

4. Kareem = has won 6 championships, 6 league MVP's, but was only Finals MVP 2 times. Magic was the best player on those Lakers teams but Kareem is still the 2nd all-time leading scorer and had the most unstoppable shot being the Skyhook. 

This would be my list if LeBron gets this championship.

On 5/3/2023 at 9:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have a funky feeling the Lakers are going to win it all. They just wiped their feet on the Warriors home floor in Game 1. LeBron isn't Lebron of 3 years ago but he is still a top 10 player in the league. His presence alone is helping guys like Reaves, DLo, and Hachimura to excel to greatness, and Anthony Davis is healthy and flat out dominant on both ends of the court. A 5th ring for LeBron would catapult his legacy if he wins with this group. I would honestly have to say he is 2nd all-time if the Lakers win it all. It would be:

1. Jordan = still, but not by much. Jordan still has his 6-0 in Finals and he has won 6 Finals MVP's + 5 League MVP's.

2. LeBron = being either the best player or 2nd best player on a championship team at 38 years old is insane. He just beat Kareem's scoring record as well to become the all-time leading scorer. He would match Magic with 5 championships if he pulls this off.

3. Magic  = won Finals MVP as a rookie, won 5 championships overall, 3 Finals MVP's, 3 League MVP's. All-time leader in Assist average per season at 11.2 over 12 seasons.

4. Kareem = has won 6 championships, 6 league MVP's, but was only Finals MVP 2 times. Magic was the best player on those Lakers teams but Kareem is still the 2nd all-time leading scorer and had the most unstoppable shot being the Skyhook. 

This would be my list if LeBron gets this championship.

Lakers now up 2-1, my money is on them. LeBron is getting one for the thumb. Not saying the league is rigged but Steph having more Rings over a guy that the media says is as great as Jordan will never happen. LeBron would also match Magic and Kobe with 5, while Steph and Shaq have 4. LeBron would move to #2 without argument then because of his resume as well beating Kareem's scoring record.

Happy Lebron James GIF by NBAOh Yeah Basketball GIF by Uninterrupted

On 5/7/2023 at 3:48 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lakers now up 2-1, my money is on them. LeBron is getting one for the thumb. Not saying the league is rigged but Steph having more Rings over a guy that the media says is as great as Jordan will never happen. LeBron would also match Magic and Kobe with 5, while Steph and Shaq have 4. LeBron would move to #2 without argument then because of his resume as well beating Kareem's scoring record.

Happy Lebron James GIF by NBAOh Yeah Basketball GIF by Uninterrupted

Called it a week ago. Lakers will take care of the Nuggets as well. AD will neutralize Joker and Lebron will destroy that team, they have nobody that can guard him. Lakers made the Warriors look like doo doo.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, Myles said:

Pacers have the 7th pick in the draft.   Not a deep draft, so it will not be a franchise changer.

They need more depth at forward and with 5 picks should be able to address that, or get something done in free agency.  We're better off now than we were last year at this time.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 8:09 PM, Myles said:

Pacers have the 7th pick in the draft.   Not a deep draft, so it will not be a franchise changer.

I am not sure this is correct. We could get a steal at #7. We drafted Reggie Miller at #11 in 1987 and Paul George at #10 in 2010 and nobody thought either would be great or game changers. Reggie was a great shooter but not a great player coming out and George was a crapshoot pick. The 2 best players we have had in franchise history went 11 and 10.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 2:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure this is correct. We could get a steal at #7. We drafted Reggie Miller at #11 in 1987 and Paul George at #10 in 2010 and nobody thought either would be great or game changers. Reggie was a great shooter but not a great player coming out and George was a crapshoot pick. The 2 best players we have had in franchise history went 11 and 10.

I agree that there is a chance.    It is just that the 1,2 and 3 picks are more often the HOF caliber players.  

On 5/19/2023 at 2:33 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see us using this pick. Think it will be traded for immediate help 

But yes, to your point, players can be found everywhere. 

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm a Utah Jazz fan. Who do you guys want at 7? And do you think the Pacers would be willing to trade back in case the Jazz want to target specific player at 7? 

We'll trade you #7, #26 and #29 for Markkanan(SP?)

1 hour ago, w87r said:

We'll trade you #7, #26 and #29 for Markkanan(SP?)

We have plenty of picks and looking to consolidate, rather than sell our best players. Maybe Jazz and Pacers are not the best of trade partners. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

We have plenty of picks and looking to consolidate, rather than sell our best players. Maybe Jazz and Pacers are not the best of trade partners. 

Probably right, not a good match for a trade, as I feel like we move #7 for something to help immediately.

• Like 1

Hats off to Denver, I thought maybe this could have been LeBron's last dance for his 5th Championship. Magic still has more championships 5-4! Denver clearly has the better team and Joker is the best Center in the league. He actually should have won League MVP again but the NBA gave it too Joel Embiid.

My top 5 greatest players remain the same as LeBron fails again in bigtime series. He had 40 last night but he was also a big reason why the Lakers lost games 2 and 3, games they should have won had he took over late in those games.

1. Michael Jordan - that will never change now.

2. Magic Johnson - clear #2 to me.

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - best Center of all-time.

4. LeBron James - makes my Mt Rushmore, best player of this generation.

5 - is tough, I think Kobe Bryant belongs here but one can make an argument that Larry Bird or Shaq belong here. The older generation may even think Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain belong in the top 5 = understandable. 

The NBA playoffs have been beyond unpredictable, I have been wrong a lot. Nobody thought the Heat would steamroll the Bucks and now they are making the Celtics look like chumps. Very few thought the Nuggets would sweep the Lakers either. It is looking like the Nuggets vs Heat in the Finals, may the best team win.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Nice to hear the Lakers were swept.   I don't watch the NBA, but still root against a few teams.

It's funny because I grew up Pacers and Lakers fan, but immediately had to unlike him once they got LeBron.

Most Lakers fans these days aren't even Laker fans, they're just there for LeBron.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, w87r said:

It's funny because I grew up Pacers and Lakers fan, but immediately had to unlike him once they got LeBron.

Most Lakers fans these days aren't even Laker fans, they're just there for LeBron.

Same here, I liked the Lakers because of their style of play during the 80's. The Lakers with Magic were the real deal! It was very entertaining basketball like a 5 star rated movie. I was also a fan of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers but rooted for the Pacers in the 2000 Finals as the Pacers have always been my true favorite team being from Indy. I wanted Reggie to get his ring. I honestly, I am not a fan of LeBron, going to the Heat in his prime ruined it for me. I also disagree with his politics on a lot of issues. He is a great player though and is a great father to his son's so he isn't a bad guy in reality. I just have always thought that he has been an attention seeker. 

• Like 1

Pacers trade thoughts:

Love me some Turner, but if this could be pulled off, I'm down.

Turner

Hield

Nembhard

2024 1st(Top 3 protected)

2026 1st(lottery protected)

For

Jaylen Brown (S+T max contract)

Then, time to replace Turner:

Theis

Duarte

For

Ayton

I'm unclear if Ayton can be traded during the draft?

If not I'm sure can figure out compensation once new year starts.

For 

John Collins

Haliburtin, McConnell 

Mathurin, Nwora

Brown, Nesmith

Collins, Jalen Smith

Ayton, Isaiah Jackson

Still have #14, #29

Thoughts?

Plausible?

Be real tight on cap space, might need to add McConnell to one of the deals.

Probably get cap room real close.

Although with Brown taking place for sure in off-season and us being under the cap those other 2 traded would probably ride.

And we could take more back if we happen to go over cap.

Then Brown S+T numbers would be within that 125% number.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:05 PM, w87r said:

For 

John Collins

Revisiting this 

Maybe get rid of this and figure out how to get to #3 and get Brandon Miller?

#7, #29, Isaiah Jackson, (2-3) 2nds or 2028 1st(top 10 protected)

?

On 5/23/2023 at 9:18 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hats off to Denver, I thought maybe this could have been LeBron's last dance for his 5th Championship. Magic still has more championships 5-4! Denver clearly has the better team and Joker is the best Center in the league. He actually should have won League MVP again but the NBA gave it too Joel Embiid.

My top 5 greatest players remain the same as LeBron fails again in bigtime series. He had 40 last night but he was also a big reason why the Lakers lost games 2 and 3, games they should have won had he took over late in those games.

1. Michael Jordan - that will never change now.

2. Magic Johnson - clear #2 to me.

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - best Center of all-time.

4. LeBron James - makes my Mt Rushmore, best player of this generation.

5 - is tough, I think Kobe Bryant belongs here but one can make an argument that Larry Bird or Shaq belong here. The older generation may even think Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain belong in the top 5 = understandable. 

The NBA playoffs have been beyond unpredictable, I have been wrong a lot. Nobody thought the Heat would steamroll the Bucks and now they are making the Celtics look like chumps. Very few thought the Nuggets would sweep the Lakers either. It is looking like the Nuggets vs Heat in the Finals, may the best team win.

Been on vacation for a bit. Also been paying attention to the Nuggets for awhile. Very happy right now. Just hoping to close it out in the finals. One more series to go! The Heat still have to make it though. Celtics can easily win two more. The funny thing is, if the Nuggets win the NBA Finals this year, the Colts will be the team of mine that has been the longest since they have won a title. It would be Braves in 2021, Avalanche in 2022, and possibly the Nuggets in 2023 now. Does that mean the Colts in 2024? haha 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Been on vacation for a bit. Also been paying attention to the Nuggets for awhile. Very happy right now. Just hoping to close it out in the finals. One more series to go! The Heat still have to make it though. Celtics can easily win two more. The funny thing is, if the Nuggets win the NBA Finals this year, the Colts will be the team of mine that has been the longest since they have won a title. It would be Braves in 2021, Avalanche in 2022, and possibly the Nuggets in 2023 now. Does that mean the Colts in 2024? haha 

Boston may be the luckiest team I have ever seen after what they pulled off last night, a tip in by a 6'3 PG with .1 of a second to win it. Smart's 3 had to miss perfectly for that to even happen. They have the Basketball Gods on their side after what I just seen. I am rooting for Denver to win it all but something seems fishy lately with the way Boston is getting Ref treatment and making these crazy shots. They are also going for their 18th championship so I don't fully trust the NBA right now. The NBA has been known in the past for being accused of altering games.

In reality, Denver has the best team and should win it all but we will see??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The NBA has been known in the past for being accused of altering games

vince mcmahon wwe GIF

Feel like most sports have became sports entertainment.

Hard to believe a lot of stuff that happens.

Will say I though the script was in for LeBron this year. So happy to be wrong on that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not really a big conspiracy theorist type of person but I have watched the NBA long enough to know that monkey business seems to happen at times.

I can't see Boston losing 2 straight NBA Finals if they do make it and they have HCA this year is one thing that is bugging me.

I've drifted away from the NBA more and more over the years.

Like you said, too much stuff happens all the time.

Scott Foster for instance. Certain players w/l record when he officiates is bewildering. How can the NBA just continually allow that kind of narrative to continue?

It's more than him, but it often seems as if officials have an agenda.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36227864/why-scott-foster-vs-chris-paul-become-nba-most-scrutinized-referee-player-matchup%3fplatform=amp

The key number now is 13. That's how many consecutive playoff games Paul's teams (the LA Clippers, Rockets, Thunder and now the Phoenix Suns) have lost when Foster has been the game's crew chief. And Paul's playoff record overall is 2-17 dating back to that game in 2008, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

I actually think this ended this year if I remember correctly(checked, it did), but come on, something seems off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/boston/news/referee-scott-foster-working-as-crew-chief-for-celtics-heat-game-4/

Little close to home in this series

The interesting number, though, comes from the Heat, who went 0-5 during the regular season when Foster was a referee. Entering this series, the Heat had actually lost 12 of their last 13 games officiated by Foster. (The Heat went 1-1 vs. the Knicks this postseason in games officiated by Foster.)

Over the years, Foster has been dubbed "The Extender" by NBA fans who believe he gets inserted into situations to help elongate series that have a chance of ending. That is, obviously, a bit hard to prove, and it's not a universal application. But certainly, with the Heat's record being what it is with Foster on the floor, the nickname is sure to get some run throughout the day on Tuesday -- and, perhaps, beyond

List can go on and on. 

I used to legit check who game officials were, when they would be released at 9am game day mornings. Would always know when Foster was going to ref a game.

• Like 1

https://emergentmath.com/2011/04/19/the-dallas-mavericks-are-2-16-in-playoff-games-officiated-by-danny-crawford-is-this-statistically-significant/

The Mavs have a 2-16 record in playoff games officiated by Crawford, including 16 losses in the last 17 games. Dallas is 48-41 in the rest of their playoff games during the ownership tenure of Mark Cuban, who has been fined millions of dollars in the last 11 years for publicly complaining about officiating

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2013/6/11/4418498/nba-finals-2013-heat-vs-spurs-referees

However, now it seems maybe it's less of a disadvantage for the Mavs and more of an advantage for the Heat, who, after wins in Games 1 and 6 of last year's Eastern Conference Finals, were 14-3 in playoff games refereed by Crawford. He was also on the crew for Game 5 of this year's Eastern Conference Semifinals, a Heat win.

This was a big issue, back when the Pacers were battling with the Big 3 down there in Miami in early 2010's.

Conspiracy theories? IDK, but there is enough stuff out there to question the validity sometimes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

I've drifted away from the NBA more and more over the years.

Like you said, too much stuff happens all the time.

Scott Foster for instance. Certain players w/l record when he officiates is bewildering. How can the NBA just continually allow that kind of narrative to continue?

It's more than him, but it often seems as if officials have an agenda.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36227864/why-scott-foster-vs-chris-paul-become-nba-most-scrutinized-referee-player-matchup%3fplatform=amp

I actually think this ended this year if I remember correctly(checked, it did), but come on, something seems off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/boston/news/referee-scott-foster-working-as-crew-chief-for-celtics-heat-game-4/

Little close to home in this series

List can go on and on. 

I used to legit check who game officials were, when they would be released at 9am game day mornings. Would always know when Foster was going to ref a game.

Scott Foster is the worst, when he does a game it is a circus!

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dick Bavetta was the main Ref of Game 6, Lakers/Kings in the 2002 WCFinals. He was bad too. Despite that game 6 monkey business, the Kings still should blame themselves for losing that series. They still had game 7 at home and shot 2-20 from 3.

Yep, look at all these mentions and not even a mention about Timothy Francis Donaghy. Lol

Lol, whatever. What do you think about some of my trade scenarios above?

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yep, look at all these mentions and not even a mention about Timothy Francis Donaghy. Lol

Lol, whatever. What do you think about some of my trade scenarios above?

"Timothy Francis Donaghy" homer simpson lol GIFhaha . 

Regarding your trade scenario's, I like the 1st one. I think Brown is a very good player/sometimes great. That is another reason why I hope Boston loses so maybe they will panic and want to make changes. Also if we could trade up and get Brandon Miller that would help our franchise out a lot. He reminds me of a young Kevin Durant. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://emergentmath.com/2011/04/19/the-dallas-mavericks-are-2-16-in-playoff-games-officiated-by-danny-crawford-is-this-statistically-significant/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2013/6/11/4418498/nba-finals-2013-heat-vs-spurs-referees

This was a big issue, back when the Pacers were battling with the Big 3 down there in Miami in early 2010's.

Conspiracy theories? IDK, but there is enough stuff out there to question the validity sometimes.

I actually thought we got screwed in game 7 at Chicago in the 1998 ECFinals. The Refs let the Bulls get away with everything and when they were on offense they were just throwing bodies at our players when they got in the paint at the end of the game and a foul was called everytime. Despite all of that - we only lost by 3 points, we were the 1 team that scared the crap out of them in a game 7. We had them beat. Phil Jackson even looked worried. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Timothy Francis Donaghy" homer simpson lol GIFhaha . 

:dunno:

That's his name?

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding your trade scenario's, I like the 1st one. I think Brown is a very good player/sometimes great. That is another reason why I hope Boston loses so maybe they will panic and want to make changes. Also if we could trade up and get Brandon Miller that would help our franchise out a lot. He reminds me of a young Kevin Durant. 

Yeah, same on Brown.

Then I figure we got to replace Turner, who I don't WANT to get rid of, but would for Brown.

So Ayton makes sense, with our offer sheet and we'll new found need a center of we traded Turner.

I do think there is a decent chance we move up for Miller regardless.

We have enough to make that deal happen no doubt.

Duarte

Jackson

Nembhard

Future first.

Plenty to make that deal happen. Obviously not all that just listing some potentials.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

:dunno:

That's his name?

Yeah, same on Brown.

Then I figure we got to replace Turner, who I don't WANT to get rid of, but would for Brown.

So Ayton makes sense, with our offer sheet and we'll new found need a center of we traded Turner.

I do think there is a decent chance we move up for Miller regardless.

We have enough to make that deal happen no doubt.

Duarte

Jackson

Nembhard

Future first.

Plenty to make that deal happen. Obviously not all that just listing some potentials.

Regarding your post about Donaghy, I thought it was hilarious you said his full name haha . Yeah he was one of a kind.