Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 - 2023 Indiana Pacers and everything NBA thread

Figured it was time for a 2022-2023 Pacers/NBA thread. Preseason starts October 5 for the Pacers. Regular season starts October 19 vs the Wizards. 

I'm looking forward to this season for the Pacers as it appears they are committed (finally) to rebuilding this the right way. It's not going to be pretty but I think it's one step back in order to take two steps forward down the road. 

Hoping the Lakers give in at some point on the 2 unprotected 1sts and Westbrook for Turner/Hield. 

16 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

Hoping the Lakers give in at some point on the 2 unprotected 1sts and Westbrook for Turner/Hield. 

I woud like the picks, but not really too interested in giving LeBron a better chance at winning another title.

More picks is the only thing that could give Indy a shot at being a top 4 team in the conference.  

"2 unprotected 1sts and Westbrook for Turner/Hield"

Make that trade and immediately cut Westbrook in order to tank the season and get a shot at Wembanyama in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

More picks is the only thing that could give Indy a shot at being a top 4 team in the conference.  

"2 unprotected 1sts and Westbrook for Turner/Hield"

Make that trade and immediately cut Westbrook in order to tank the season and get a shot at Wembanyama in the draft.  

Why not trade him for more picks?

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Basketball is back, I always do my top 5 players to enter the year and who will be in the Finals, my top 5 players of all-time since the merger hasn't change (since 1977) =

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. LeBron James

5. Kobe Bryant

-that is since the merger = 1977 to now, LeBron is going to pass Kareem for the scoring championship sometime this year which is a hell of an achievement.

My top 5 this year entering 2022-2023 =

1. Steph Curry

2. Giannis

3. Kevin Durant

4. Luka - Dallas could make the Finals because of him.

5. LeBron - even at 38 years old, dude is still top 5. I don't see the Lakers doing anything though.

Joker is the MVP so he needs to be mentioned.

If we can get Westbrook I would do it. That would at least make our team exciting, and he is still a very good player. Watching a great fastbreak is entertaining. He can't shoot but is a triple double machine and unstoppable going to the basket. He is just a bad fit in LA.

My Finals pick Bucks over Mavs

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 11:38 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah, Basketball is back, I always do my top 5 players to enter the year and who will be in the Finals, my top 5 players of all-time since the merger hasn't change (since 1977) =

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. LeBron James

5. Kobe Bryant

My top 5:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. Larry Bird

5. Wilt Chamberlain

• Thanks 1

Pacers lose to the Bulls tonight. They are now 1-4 on the year.

Mathurin has had some strong performances so far. He has struggled the past 2 games but 22 points per game on 48% shooting is a nice start to his career. 

Duarte has really struggled so far.

Despite the record i'm still excited to see how this team develops throughout this year and then what they can do in the offseason.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, Myles said:

My top 5:

1. Michael Jordan

2. Magic Johnson

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

4. Larry Bird

5. Wilt Chamberlain

That's pretty close to my list. 

1- M. Jordan 

2- Jabber 

3- Bird

4- Magic 

5- Oscar Robertson 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

That's pretty close to my list. 

1- M. Jordan 

2- Jabbar 

3- Bird

4- Magic 

5- Oscar Robertson 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mathurin is a beast.

This team is going to be so fun to watch this year. I hope we don't give away Turner or Hield. We may move them, but not for Russ and picks. I love Russ but just not a good fit here with what we are doing.

All across the roster there is exciting players.

Haliburton, Nem(zags guy), 

Mathurin, Duarte

Hield

Smith

Turner, Jackson

Big win against Nets, team will win more games then most think this season. Not sure that is a good thing, but chances are even if we had the worst record, they would give us the 5th pick....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 1:50 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't look now but the Pacers are 4th in the East at 10-6. Mathurin and Haliburton are killing it. I haven't watched much at all this year but caught some of tonight's game. Turner is having a career year as well. Pacers might have something good again.

I like this young team!!  I really believe we're developing the core and foundation for the future.  These guys are hungry and very unselfish.  I believe we have 6 games so far this season where we had 6 players in double figures in scoring.  I have tickets to see them host the Hawks on December 27th and really looking forward to it!

Been a fan since their inception in 1967 and this club has me excited for the first time in several years.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I like this young team!!  I really believe we're developing the core and foundation for the future.  These guys are hungry and very unselfish.  I believe we have 6 games so far this season where we had 6 players in double figures in scoring.  I have tickets to see them host the Hawks on December 27th and really looking forward to it!

Been a fan since their inception in 1967 and this club has me excited for the first time in several years.

My friends dad was a photographer and he took live pictures of the Pacers. He had polio so he needed help setting up his equipment so David (my friend) and myself would help. This was at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. I helped with many games in 1968-70 seasons. His pictures were sold to the Indianapolis Star and News and various magazines. That 1970 team was something else. Yeah, Roger Brown was a special player.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pacers 12-8 now, WE beat the Lakers tonight at the buzzer. Beautiful stuff! Fail New York Knicks GIF by Indiana Pacers- Haliburton is unreal.

Nembhard walk off 3 to win it! Go home Celebrities to your fancy houses, take that LeBronThe Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)-It is fun watching a bunch of no name dude's kick everyone's butt. Pacers are back. I may watch more NBA now as that was my first love since 1977. I love team ball, I used to play 8 hours a day growing up on playgrounds, highschool, etc.. I love my Pacers, I always wanted to be Magic Johnson growing up when I was a teen but also loved guys like Clark Kellogg and Don Buse, Don could shoot lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 8:58 PM, DaColts85 said:

This Pacers team is a good young team to watch. Halliburton being injured is huge for us so hopefully he gets back soon. 

Unfortunately they will will probably make the playoffs and miss out on being a part of the draft lottery.

59 minutes ago, Myles said:

Unfortunately they will will probably make the playoffs and miss out on being a part of the draft lottery.

I would rather them make the playoffs. They need to get healthy and continue to grow together. This team can make some noise come playoff time. The Celtics are a solid team but other than that you have a lot of equal teams. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:58 PM, DaColts85 said:

This Pacers team is a good young team to watch. Halliburton being injured is huge for us so hopefully he gets back soon. 

Yep, Haliburton getting injured hurt us bigtime, we lost 7 in a row after he got injured. Good win last night over the Bulls to end that streak. Pacers are 24-25 through 49 games. Better than I thought they would be. I had the Pacers as a top 5 worse team to begin the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, Haliburton getting injured hurt us bigtime, we lost 7 in a row after he got injured. Good win last night over the Bulls to end that streak. Pacers are 24-25 through 49 games. Better than I thought they would be. I had the Pacers as a top 5 worse team to begin the season.

I agree. I was thinking 35 wins total this year. The only good from no Halliburton is Mathurin is stepping up. We need Duarte to find his shot and then we will be pretty solid and ready for Tyrese to come back. 

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I agree. I was thinking 35 wins total this year. The only good from no Halliburton is Mathurin is stepping up. We need Duarte to find his shot and then we will be pretty solid and ready for Tyrese to come back. 

Mathurin is better than I thought he would be. I only had us winning around 30 games.

I agree I did not expect him to be impactful right away. Very happy with that pick. We need Duarte to step up and we will have some good scorers and playmakers. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Mathurin is better than I thought he would be. I only had us winning around 30 games.

• Like 1

Kudos to T. J. McConnell...he is stepping up big time as he fills minutes for Haliburton while he is out.  We are struggling without Tyrese, but these situations help build depth in getting more minutes for other players.  I still think we make the playoffs and could make some noise and knock off someone.

• 4 weeks later...

It is only March 5th but as of now my early Finals prediction is a rematch of 2 years ago = Suns vs Bucks. Assuming both teams stay healthy throughout the playoffs. Durant will get the Suns back to the Finals, can they finish, not sure? Booker and Durant is a hell of a combo + CP3 still has a little a bit in the tank. Giannis to me is the best player in the league and he has Middleton and Holiday both healthy as of now, Bucks are tough. 

34 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Would Ja be short for Jabroni by chance? I have mounting suspicions…

Ja Morant is an *. As a matter a fact, he punch and injured a minor, injuring his face. He should be in jail, had you or I punched a 17 year old in the face and pulled a gun on someone we would be in the pokey. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...