Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz Was Good v. Jax in Week 18

Nickster

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2022/08/09/carson-wentz-commanders-camp-missing-layups/amp/

I don't like this article, as I would like for Wentz to hit the draft pick upgrade conditions. Not looking promising early.

I have the Commanders as of now maybe winning 8 games at most, it could be less. Wentz does not have it mentally IMO to be good anymore. He had the perfect situation here with a coach that loved him, best RB in the league and he just blew it in the last 2 games. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have the Commanders as of now maybe winning 8 games at most, it could be less. Wentz does not have it mentally IMO to be good anymore. He had the perfect situation here with a coach that loved him, best RB in the league and he just blew it in the last 2 games. 

I wasn't around thd forum at the end of the season.

I will say Wentz had plenty of company not playing well.

He was coming off of Covid also, so I'm sure his head was pretty clouded. Not making an excuse for him. I really don't think it was his play per say that wanted to move on, although it wasn't that great in general. It was definitely his leadership that soured the Colts.

My big moment of questioning his leadership, was during the in season hard knocks(may of been called something else?)

Anyway, durimg 1 week he was talking to Zaxh Pascal off to the side. Don't know if Pascal wasn't feeling well or not, but Wentz told him "if you are sick we don't need you". Something to that affect. 

I hated that clip and Pascal was like wt heck?

That's not how you talk to your teammates.

Good riddance, just get us the conditiomal upgrade.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I wasn't around thd forum at the end of the season.

I will say Wentz had plenty of company not playing well.

He was coming off of Covid also, so I'm sure his head was pretty clouded. Not making an excuse for him. I really don't think it was his play per say that wanted to move on, although it wasn't that great in general. It was definitely his leadership that soured the Colts.

My big moment of questioning his leadership, was during the in season hard knocks(may of been called something else?)

Anyway, durimg 1 week he was talking to Zaxh Pascal off to the side. Don't know if Pascal wasn't feeling well or not, but Wentz told him "if you are sick we don't need you". Something to that affect. 

I hated that clip and Pascal was like wt heck?

That's not how you talk to your teammates.

Good riddance, just get us the conditiomal upgrade.

I hated the Wentz trade when it happened, just didn't feel that vibe I felt when we signed Rivers. With Rivers I knew we would be good. As the season went on I did defend Wentz at times because he had his good moments but in the end my bad vibe was right unfortunately. Matt Ryan gives me a vibe I haven't felt since we had Luck in 2018. It is just his leadership and resume. I have us at 11 or 12 wins this season, we will see if I am right. If I am wrong I will be surprised. 

17 hours ago, masterlock said:

I feel like even without pass rush, Wentz was still not making good decisions, per Warner. 

I'm not defending Wentz play.  I'm saying that the Warner video sort of put the expectations that Wentz would see things as quickly as Warner thought he should.  There is no QB who has ever read plays as quickly as what Warner used to, IMO, that was the essence of his success.  He was sort of putting a high bar for Wentz to achieve and I don't know how many NFL QBs outside of the top 5 elite could have lived up to Warner's expectations.

I guess I'm defending Wentz against those specific criticisms Warner levied more than I'm defending his overall play.  I think his accuracy and decision making were both off, but, geez, only Kurt Warner and a few others would have read some of those plays correctly in that short of time, IMO.

Wentz wasn't terribly inaccurate for us.  He was sometimes but not egregiously so, no more than most other big armed QBS. He is not in good headspace, and must have the yips.

BTW, when I started this topic, I never said I wanted CW on this team.  I'm glad he's gone.  We weren't going to improve with him.

But he did have a pretty good football year last year on the field.

If he doesn't get over his yips, he will be a disaster for WASH.  But he was a pretty good QB for us. 

Eh, I don't think he was a pretty good QB for us last year, if I am being honest.  I would say he was very average at best.
There were certainly times throughout the season where I was questioning if he was bad, and questioning if he was good as well.  There were points early in the season that got me excited for him as our QB only if he continued to improve and become more of an accumulator as opposed to the shotput hero ball QB that he reverted to by the end of the season.  
He got a free pass for a slow start due to missed camp with foot injury/two ankle sprains early.  His leash was long because even in those non ideal circumstances, Wentz showed well and almost pulled out wins against Seattle, the Rams, Baltimore.  Hell, I think Baltimore was his best game of the season and it resulted in a L because our D couldn't defend the Lamar check-down. That was a hell of a game to watch even on the losing end of it. 
But even in his best moments, there were concerning signs.  He had some amazing plays vs SF but a few of those came at the expense of luck.  That Pittman TD should have been a pick, and he had another two slide right out of SF's hands because of hurricane like conditions.  He had a few games where the stat line should have looked a lot worse, and luckily for him (and for us, since we got two 3's for him from WASH) fumbles don't show up in the passing stats.  If they did, he would have had more like 13 or 14 turnovers. 
Maybe his finest throw of the year (TD to Patmon vs Cardinals) was also basically jammed into a horrible 3 quarters of football prior and the beginning of his crappiest stretch, leading to us missing the playoffs in the most embarrassing fashion. 

With Carson Wentz, there were flash plays, but they didn't come early enough or often enough.  Stud QB's should be able to lean on the run game like ours but also pull it back and let it rip when they need to- especially with a backfield threat like ours.  Instead, Wentz became so far out of sync with his receivers because of our reliance on JT that he couldn't be ready or trusted when it really counted. 
After watching him mic'd up on Hard Knocks, it was very clear that Wentz was perfectly fine being just good enough, but clearly did not demand perfection out of himself or his teammates and it showed.  You can give as many double fist bumps to your teammates and say "preciate ya" as much as you want, but at the end of the day, football is a sport that yields leaders by example, and Wentz was clearly a turd of a leader. I don't think I am in the minority in this sentiment.  

6 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

Eh, I don't think he was a pretty good QB for us last year, if I am being honest.  I would say he was very average at best.
There were certainly times throughout the season where I was questioning if he was bad, and questioning if he was good as well.  There were points early in the season that got me excited for him as our QB only if he continued to improve and become more of an accumulator as opposed to the shotput hero ball QB that he reverted to by the end of the season.  
He got a free pass for a slow start due to missed camp with foot injury/two ankle sprains early.  His leash was long because even in those non ideal circumstances, Wentz showed well and almost pulled out wins against Seattle, the Rams, Baltimore.  Hell, I think Baltimore was his best game of the season and it resulted in a L because our D couldn't defend the Lamar check-down. That was a hell of a game to watch even on the losing end of it. 
But even in his best moments, there were concerning signs.  He had some amazing plays vs SF but a few of those came at the expense of luck.  That Pittman TD should have been a pick, and he had another two slide right out of SF's hands because of hurricane like conditions.  He had a few games where the stat line should have looked a lot worse, and luckily for him (and for us, since we got two 3's for him from WASH) fumbles don't show up in the passing stats.  If they did, he would have had more like 13 or 14 turnovers. 
Maybe his finest throw of the year (TD to Patmon vs Cardinals) was also basically jammed into a horrible 3 quarters of football prior and the beginning of his crappiest stretch, leading to us missing the playoffs in the most embarrassing fashion. 

With Carson Wentz, there were flash plays, but they didn't come early enough or often enough.  Stud QB's should be able to lean on the run game like ours but also pull it back and let it rip when they need to- especially with a backfield threat like ours.  Instead, Wentz became so far out of sync with his receivers because of our reliance on JT that he couldn't be ready or trusted when it really counted. 
After watching him mic'd up on Hard Knocks, it was very clear that Wentz was perfectly fine being just good enough, but clearly did not demand perfection out of himself or his teammates and it showed.  You can give as many double fist bumps to your teammates and say "preciate ya" as much as you want, but at the end of the day, football is a sport that yields leaders by example, and Wentz was clearly a turd of a leader. I don't think I am in the minority in this sentiment.  

Well average for me is pretty good I guess.  Splitting hairs I think.  He wasn't bad or terrible or inept on the field.  Top half to me is pretty good for NFL QBs. 

Seems to be a very ineffective leader, no doubt. 

To me yeah we watch all year and see everyting, but 27 to 7 TD ratio is really good.  And over his career he's had pretty low TO numbers and a high TD/INT ratio.

He was above average IMO, but it's just semantics.  Dude wasn't terrible on the field.  His Oline was pathetic at pass pro, and his pass catchers were pedestrian.

Again don't want him back .  :Likde at all. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

Wentz wasn't terribly inaccurate for us.  He was sometimes but not egregiously so, no more than most other big armed QBS. He is not in good headspace, and must have the yips.

BTW, when I started this topic, I never said I wanted CW on this team.  I'm glad he's gone.  We weren't going to improve with him.

But he did have a pretty good football year last year on the field.

If he doesn't get over his yips, he will be a disaster for WASH.  But he was a pretty good QB for us. 

I didn't bump this so that you'd be subjected to further ridicule (although you probably deserve it for that thread title... :D ) I just don't like making new threads when there's already a discussion on the topic. JT's video came out yesterday, I watched it and thought it was really good -- like most of his videos -- and figured I'd drop it here. 

If you haven't already, you should watch it. Not that it will change anyone's mind, but I always learn something from his videos. He does a really good job of breaking things down for us laymen. 

Just now, Superman said:

I didn't bump this so that you'd be subjected to further ridicule (although you probably deserve it for that thread title... :D ) I just don't like making new threads when there's already a discussion on the topic. JT's video came out yesterday, I watched it and thought it was really good -- like most of his videos -- and figured I'd drop it here. 

If you haven't already, you should watch it. Not that it will change anyone's mind, but I always learn something from his videos. He does a really good job of breaking things down for us laymen. 

haven't had a chance to watch it yet.  But I'll try to get to it.

I've got pretty thick internet skin Supe.  Subject away.  

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm not defending Wentz play.  I'm saying that the Warner video sort of put the expectations that Wentz would see things as quickly as Warner thought he should.  There is no QB who has ever read plays as quickly as what Warner used to, IMO, that was the essence of his success.  He was sort of putting a high bar for Wentz to achieve and I don't know how many NFL QBs outside of the top 5 elite could have lived up to Warner's expectations.

I guess I'm defending Wentz against those specific criticisms Warner levied more than I'm defending his overall play.  I think his accuracy and decision making were both off, but, geez, only Kurt Warner and a few others would have read some of those plays correctly in that short of time, IMO.

Now you know i'm not the brightest bulb in the building, but i thought Warners read examples were pretty basic concepts. You know when you got 3 CB's on this side of the field you are coached to look them off and then throw away from them. Not force a ball into heavy coverage because you got that big arm. THAT was Wentz. He also threw the ball while off balance to often. The guy was bullheaded, he refused to do what any good QB SHOULD do.

He was fired with prejudice as a leader, and for failing FB 101.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Now you know i'm not the brightest bulb in the building, but i thought Warners read examples were pretty basic concepts. You know when you got 3 CB's on this side of the field you are coached to look them off and then throw away from them. Not force a ball into heavy coverage because you got that big arm. THAT was Wentz. He also threw the ball while off balance to often. The guy was bullheaded, he refused to do what any good QB SHOULD do.

I agree with what you are saying, but you can take any QB and isolate plays of reads he should have made on a few plays. 

Carson is either just a stubborn I want to do it my way type of guy, or just not good enough FB IQ wise or wasn't trained will enough on making reads, or some sort of combination. There are only like 10 men in the Universe who have a good enough arm and are able to make reads at good enough of a level to be a really effective NFL QB to lead a team to championship level FB.  CW is not one of those 10.  But he's a decent NFL QB and did pretty well considering out Line issues and pass catcher limitations IMO.

My main point in this thread is you can break down CWs performance all day but he did have a competent objective year.  27 and 7 is really really good TD/INT, and he might have had a decent game v. JAX if ANYONE else on the O would have done ANYTHING good. 

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I haven't watched the Warner video in a while.  IIRC, what stood out to me was Warner picking on Wentz for not having released the ball yet by taking too long to read the play.  If you look at this real time, there were some plays where Wentz would have had to recognize that his third read was where to throw the ball almost upon setting up to throw.  Those few instances made me think Warner was just dissecting the rest of the video a little too picky--ly.  Warner read it that fast.  I don't think may other QBs could.

I was for the Wentz trade with Philly.  After the first two games of watching Wentz in a Colts uniform, I mentioned several times on this forum that he played like he was an excitable guy.  Later it seemed to me that he seemed to play by the seat of his pants more than by a deliberate methodology.  Rivers could channel his excitement to stay within the confines of the offense.  Wentz seemed like the guy who played like he just wanted to make things happen regardless of the offense.    ....Squirrel!

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lamp Click GIF- pretty bright at times :thmup:

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I haven't watched the Warner video in a while.  IIRC, what stood out to me was Warner picking on Wentz for not having released the ball yet by taking too long to read the play.  If you look at this real time, there were some plays where Wentz would have had to recognize that his third read was where to throw the ball almost upon setting up to throw.  Those few instances made me think Warner was just dissecting the rest of the video a little too picky--ly.  Warner read it that fast.  I don't think may other QBs could.

Ehh...

QB makes the pre-snap read and sees three DBs -- two corners and a safety -- on the 2 WR side. Initial indication is he's not going that way. Post-snap, he confirms the read when he sees the safety stayed on that side. It's a split second decision, he doesn't have to go through each option individually. Any QB can make this read right away.

The 3rd and 19 throw to Pittman is an example. Wentz should have known pre-snap, and confirmed immediately at the snap, that he had two options, and they were both on the right side: Pittman for the first down, JT for the check down. But he drops with his body lined up to throw left, and doesn't even look to the right until he's about to throw the ball. He's bouncing up and down, his upper body and lower body are out of sync, and he throws an inaccurate pass to Pittman, who is actually open for the first down (so, good play design to have a shot at 3rd and 19). If he reads it right, and his mechanics are right, that's an easy throw. And he's not under pressure.

Now disguised coverage, combo coverage, going hot, etc., it gets complicated and might take more time. But to me, the reads that Warner called out were pretty obvious.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I was for the Wentz trade with Philly.  After the first two games of watching Wentz in a Colts uniform, I mentioned several times on this forum that he played like he was an excitable guy.  Later it seemed to me that he seemed to play by the seat of his pants more than by a deliberate methodology.  Rivers could channel his excitement to stay within the confines of the offense.  Wentz seemed like the guy who played like he just wanted to make things happen regardless of the offense.    ....Squirrel!

Yes, it was somewhere deep into the season he didn't seem to improve that i recall commenting his game reminding me of Cutler, without the int's.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ehh...

QB makes the pre-snap read and sees three DBs -- two corners and a safety -- on the 2 WR side. Initial indication is he's not going that way. Post-snap, he confirms the read when he sees the safety stayed on that side. It's a split second decision, he doesn't have to go through each option individually. Any QB can make this read right away.

The 3rd and 19 throw to Pittman is an example. Wentz should have known pre-snap, and confirmed immediately at the snap, that he had two options, and they were both on the right side: Pittman for the first down, JT for the check down. But he drops with his body lined up to throw left, and doesn't even look to the right until he's about to throw the ball. He's bouncing up and down, his upper body and lower body are out of sync, and he throws an inaccurate pass to Pittman, who is actually open for the first down (so, good play design to have a shot at 3rd and 19). If he reads it right, and his mechanics are right, that's an easy throw. And he's not under pressure.

Now disguised coverage, combo coverage, going hot, etc., it gets complicated and might take more time. But to me, the reads that Warner called out were pretty obvious.

I'll have to look again.  What I recall though is Warner saying how Wentz was choosing to throw the ball to a receiver not realizing that another receiver was going to be open a split second later, but Warner ignoring the pass rusher who had also broken free (which was about every pass play at JAX).  It seemed like on several plays Wentz was rushed into throwing into a bad place when Warner was making it sound like he had time and just chose to throw it to a bad read.

And there are other plays where it was pretty obvious what Warner was saying, as you say.  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Excellent video.  If that dude does any more of those about Colts QBs, I hope you put the links on here.  Generally, I don't really much care to watch other teams in depth analysis anymore.

I want to point out the Pittman 3rd and 19, that the dude said an argument could be made that he could have caught the ball .  It was a bit inaccurate but like I said before, that's a play you need your #1 to make IMO.  Sure it could have been a better throw. 

Another thing I thought he was overly critical of CW on that back side throw to TY.  He admits that the 3T completely whips the double team, but before he is the Left End is coming down quickly at CW.  He thinks he can step but the whipped double team makes it so t he can't.  That to me is a very tough play to put on the QB.  That was part of my point, it would be nice if you don't allow the fat guy to whip the double team.

What I also found interesting is he wasn't nearly as critical of the reads as Warner was persay, but was moreso the poise and lack of touch.  On the Doyle play, CW doesn't make a bad read but does panic. and doesn't set.  JT did say however that Doyle should have released early. 

On the INT he says it wasn't a bad read, it was a good read, it was just a bad throw, but even then JT hedges somewhat by saying that it was an excellent play by the MIKE which it was.  But yeah to me this needs to be layed out toward the boundary rather than put on a rope. 

He also acknowledges as I did that a few plays could have been made by receivers, and that CW was consistently in bad downs.   Parris catches that deep middle it would have been awesome, but would have picked up the team.  Pittman makes an adjustment he can catch that 3rd and 19.  I'd bet Pittman catches that ball a large percentage of the time. 

I think he was overly critical  of CWs inaccuracy when Q totally whiffs on that out type route.  Your all world LG has to at least get hands on there IMO.  

But overall I really enjoyed the dudes vid.  

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'll have to look again.  What I recall though is Warner saying how Wentz was choosing to throw the ball to a receiver not realizing that another receiver was going to be open a split second later, but Warner ignoring the pass rusher who had also broken free (which was about every pass play at JAX).  It seemed like on several plays Wentz was rushed into throwing into a bad place when Warner was making it sound like he had time and just chose to throw it to a bad read.

And there are other plays where it was pretty obvious what Warner was saying, as you say.  

If you haven't watched that one Supe posted DD, I'd bet you'd enjoy it. /

On 8/11/2022 at 1:33 PM, DougDew said:

After watching that video, it cements my thought that his throwing mechanics are off and probably deteriorated as the season went on.  It looks like he misses badly when his shoulders are more parallel to the LOS.

You're supposed to step into the direction of the throw.  He seems to step sideways or sets up with an open stance too often when he doesn't have to.  Sometimes a QB just has to flick it no matter how he's standing, but he seemed to have enough time to set up properly.

Some of the decisions still could have worked if he threw it accurately.  

DC's had figured out how to beat Wentz.  The book on beating Wentz was to stack the box and take away the run and then have man coverage with a safety on top to take away Pitt.  You essentially took away Pitt (his first read) and JT and took your chances with man to man coverage on the other WR's.  That was the formula.

With no run game, Wentz immediately looked to Pitt and if that read was gone would shuffle his feet to try to find another WR.

By that time, the pocket was collapsing or Wentz would make an inaccurate forced late throw to the other WR's.

His fundamentals were bad as everyone saw and needless to say Frank was not able to fix him.  Lets not forget that he was benched by the Eagles for being really bad too.

His feet were very heavy and plodding.  He would always commit his feet in the direction of Pitt and then try to reset his heavy feet to another WR if Pitt were covered and he always was towards the end of the season.  It's like his feet were glued to the turf which made him throw with his feet parallel to the LOS.  This was an all arm throw with no lower body.

The happy feet that Peyton had was to allow him to reset his feet to other WR's if he had prematurely committed his feet to a WR that was already covered.

As others have mentioned, your feet must be lined up to the WR that you are throwing it too.  There is no other way.

The 27 td's/7 ints was a false stat in that in many of the games late in the season, Frank took the ball out of the hands of Wentz and was exclusively riding JT.  He only threw for 3500 + yards which is very low in today's NFL.  There were games when Wentz only threw it 5 or 10 times.  Its like Frank knew and didn't trust him anymore.

If he had more opportunities to throw his int numbers would have gone way up.

On 7/30/2022 at 12:50 PM, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Ryan is a statue.  Our OL sucks pass blocking. This will be a problem all year for the offense.  Ryan does not have elite playmakers here at TE or WR.  So many people are overrating Ryan. Wentz played well behind this porous line because he could move.  Ryan cannot.  In case you have forgotten the team we cannot beat in this division has a monsterous DL that actually has production.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but the expectation for me is that Ryan runs this offense at least as good as Rivers.

Rivers numbers would be the floor and hopefully Ryan exceeds that.

I would look to Ryan to make quick reads, distribute the ball to many different receivers and not have tunnel vision towards one receiver and throw to Hines a bunch like Rivers did.  In essence, getting rid of the ball quickly and running the offense like how Frank wants it to be run.  There were some games where Rivers threw it to 10 different receivers.  Even the backups got involved.

As far as the oline, it will be up to Ryan to diagnose the defense.  Where is the WLB, SAM and Mike and where is the blitz coming from ?  Are they running cover1, cover2, or cover3 ?  Once Matt makes that read he can adjust his blocking (moving the RB around to pick up a block) and helping out his oline just like Rivers did.

Rivers was very immobile but helped his oline out because he knew exactly what the defense was doing.  Rivers saw if they were stacking the box, would audible to a pass.  If safeties were dropping back in coverage, would audible to a run.  Matt is that type of cerebral QB too. 

By no means is Ryan expected to pick this offense up and carry them on his shoulders.  He is to do his part and get rid of the ball and putting it in the hands of his playmakers.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

If you haven't watched that one Supe posted DD, I'd bet you'd enjoy it. /

I did before and enjoyed it.  I commented on it.  I talked about Wentz mechanics mostly, and that they just stunk aside from when he squared up properly to throw down the middle of the field.

What I noticed on that first play was that Doyle did not release early enough.  Seemed to be free but kept his hands on the defender and stayed covered while Wentz was pumping.  Yes, Wentz fades back for no apparent reason, but ended up throwing the ball right where Doyle should have been if he released when he should of.  And, number 41 for Jax made a good play by closing on the passing lane pretty quickly taking any sort of play away if Wentz didn't throw the ball when he did.

I thought the ball to Pittman down the middle was a bad throw.  I thought the back side play to TY wasn't bad. And JT made a good observation about Dulin slowing down mid route on that deep ball.   

Wentz got criticized for moving too early and not staying put in the pocket.  Well, he's a "mobile" QB and not one of those pocket statues.  He extends plays, and those guys break from the pocket passing position pretty early.  I mean, if you want a pocket passer that stays put and releases right before the defender hits him, then go get Brady, PM, or Rivers....or Ryan,....or Kurt Warner.  Wentz ain't that guy, and the NFL is moving away from that guy.

I said early in the season that Wentz seemed to play like he thought he was more athletic than he actually is.  Maybe he should try to be a pocket passer that squares up every play and stands tall until the last split second.

I thought that a lot of points were valid, especially about just plain accuracy.  And I don't think Wentz played well.  A QB can't come out of a game with a 6 PFF score without terrible play being a huge part of that score.

Archived