Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Godwin's injury a blessing?

First thing. Im terribly sorry for Godwin injuring his knee and potentially missing out on a big pay day. However, this could work in the colts favor. Godwin is everything Ballard looks for in a WR. Great size, hands, tough, and willing to block. And with the injury, we could get him possibly at a reduced price.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

First thing. Im terribly sorry for Godwin injuring his knee and potentially missing out on a big pay day. However, this could work in the colts favor. Godwin is everything Ballard looks for in a WR. Great size, hands, tough, and willing to block. And with the injury, we could get him possibly at a reduced price.

I think we should go all in on Adams, it will take some maneuvering and trades but if Wentz had him, we would be lethal. Imagine having our O.Line with Adams, Pitt, Taylor, and Wentz =+ Hines. We might average 35 a game.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we should go all in on Adams, it will take some maneuvering and trades but if Wentz had him, we would be lethal. Imagine having our O.Line with Adams, Pitt, Taylor, and Wentz =+ Hines. We might average 35 a game.

I don't know. He's probably gonna want 25 mil a year which is a ridiculously high cap hit and we still have to pay Nelson.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I don't know. He's probably gonna want 25 mil a year which is a ridiculously high cap hit and we still have to pay Nelson.

It would strap our salary Cap but I think we would be favored to win the SB. It would take maneuvering like I said but I doubt it happens anyway. Just having fun with this because Adams is great and a good guy.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It would strap our salary Cap but I think we would be favored to win the SB. It would take maneuvering like I said but I doubt it happens anyway. Just having fun with this because Adams is great and a good guy.

Not saying I wouldn't love getting Adams, but I think Godwin is more realistic. Also I think Adams either follows Rodgers if he leaves or the Raiders to reunite with Carr.

17 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think Godwin is a perfect fit next to Pittman. I’ve mentioned him on more than one occasion for the Colts. 

He might be the perfect fit.   Except the projections for him are in the range of $15-17 mill over 4-5 years.    I think that takes him out of consideration for us.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He might be the perfect fit.   Except the projections for him are in the $15-17 mill over 4-5 years.    I think that takes him out of consideration for us.   

I think the next good WR we get will be through the draft. I was just having fun with the Adams talk as well, that would be a trade though. Godwin is going to want at least 15 Mill.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He might be the perfect fit.   Except the projections for him are in the range of $15-17 mill over 4-5 years.    I think that takes him out of consideration for us.   

Before or after the knee injury? You'd think that takes it down to atleast 13

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Before or after the knee injury? You'd think that takes it down to atleast 13

Perhaps.   But do you see the Colts winning the bidding process for a player coming off major knee surgery?   I don’t.   Where are we getting that money from?

Once we pay Q and Fish or some other LT, our salary cap situation will be much, much less friendly.   Dollars will become very, very tight.  

If we can afford a veteran free agent receiver I think he’s likely to be someone in the $5-7 mill per range for one to three years.   And that’s IF we can afford that.   I don’t know if we can?

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps.   But do you see the Colts winning the bidding process for a player coming off major knee surgery?   I don’t.   Where are we getting that money from?

Once we pay Q and Fish or some other LT, our salary cap situation will be much, much less friendly.   Dollars will become very, very tight.  

If we can afford a veteran free agent receiver I think he’s likely to be someone in the $5-7 mill per range for one to three years.   And that’s IF we can afford that.   I don’t know if we can?

I was thinking we could look into Wentz and Bucks contracts to try and restructure and free some cap space

23 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Godwin’s injury is more of a blessing to the Bucs for bringing him back than us signing him, ala Marlon Mack.

Big difference. Mack had no market. Not the same for Godwin.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I was thinking we could look into Wentz and Bucks contracts to try and restructure and free some cap space

Big difference. Mack had no market. Not the same for Godwin.

I’m perfectly good with any player that’s willing to re-structure his deal for the good of the team.  

But, I could be wrong in this….  But I thought there was a rule with the NFLPA that a player can’t re-do his contract in consecutive years?    Again, I could easily be wrong on that. 

Posters like @w87r and @Superman would know this better than I.    But if I’m right, that would eliminate Wentz.   I’m sure we could make Buckner happy enough to do this. 

I think the injury to Godwin actually makes him more likely to return to The Bucs for another year. Not knowing when Godwin's going to return and if he'll ever be the same player again are huge question marks against him. Godwin will probably return to TB on a 1-year cheap prove it deal. Chris Ballard needs to swing for the fences and go after not one, but at least two legit receivers in 2022. I honestly don't see Chris Godwin being one of them after suffering the ACL injury.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m perfectly good with any player that’s willing to re-structure his deal for the good of the team.  

But, I could be wrong in this….  But I thought there was a rule with the NFLPA that a player can’t re-do his contract in consecutive years?    Again, I could easily be wrong on that. 

Posters like @w87r and @Superman would know this better than I.    But if I’m right, that would eliminate Wentz.   I’m sure we could make Buckner happy enough to do this. 

Well I'm assuming that was with the Eagles so it shouldn't impact our ability to do that.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Paye said:

I think the injury to Godwin actually makes him more likely to return to The Bucs for another year. Not knowing when Godwin's going to return and if he'll ever be the same player again are huge question marks against him. Godwin will probably return to TB on a 1-year cheap prove it deal. Chris Ballard needs to swing for the fences and go after not one, but at least two legit receivers in 2022. I honestly don't see Chris Godwin being one of them after suffering the ACL injury.

ACL injuries are not death sentences. He'll be back by September most likely

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually, no.

Wentz re-did his deal with the Colts.  Gave up $5 mill in a restructure.  So it was done this year.   I think in April.  

Yes. I think you're right. Perhaps Buck would be open to the idea then. Stewart perhaps as well, but I don't know how much that would save.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Yes. I think you're right. Perhaps Buck would be open to the idea then. Stewart perhaps as well, but I don't know how much that would save.

Yes,  I think both DL would be open.   The restructure lowers the cap hit for the team,   but ultimately gives the player more money guaranteed, or adds another year which can be partially or fully guaranteed.    

Win-win!     :colts:

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can't restructure more than once within 12 months, so technically Wentz can restructure in March 2022.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:08 AM, Superman said:

Can't restructure more than once within 12 months, so technically Wentz can restructure in March 2022.

This is very encouraging news.  Ballard could restructure Wentz, Buckner and maybe Stewart if he needed too.  This news along with a very favorable impression the team is making on Hardknocks could go a long way on possibly bringing in another playmaker this off-season.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

This is very encouraging news.  Ballard could restructure Wentz, Buckner and maybe Stewart if he needed too.  This news along with a very favorable impression the team is making on Hardknocks could go a long way on possibly bringing in another playmaker this off-season.

This is a very good, very thoughtful post.   Appreciate you making it.       :thmup:

On 12/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We don't need that. We just need a guy who can scare the defence. Doesn't have to be truly elite just put the fear of god into the other team on occasion

On 12/22/2021 at 6:42 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Robinson from the Bears maybe someone to target. He had a terrible year mostly because of the team he plays for. However, he may want to take a one year contract and rebuild his value.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:07 PM, BProland85 said:

Godwin is on my shortlist for players I'd love to have on the Colts next year. He and corner JC Jackson. 

Now with the Antonio Brown situation, Godwin will take less with the Bucs rather than taking less with any other team, if given a choice. No one is going to overpay him coming off an injury. Same case with Michael Gallup. Bucs would easily restructure several contracts to keep the team intact.

Like I said before, Christian Kirk from a slot WR role perspective with speed fits what we need. He would cost us probably 3 years $25-27 mil. or so.

Like @Moosejawcolt hinted, I would not mind Allen Robinson on a 2 year deal for $30-35 mil. if he could be had for that and buy some time. But I doubt that is in Ballard's price range, Kirk might be.

Archived