Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stretch Play

FanFromtheWasteland

5 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I don't know all the intricacies of football, but with the speed of JT and Wentz is definitely more mobile than Peyton ever was, why don't we run the stretch play that was so effective with Peyton and Edge?

How about just running Hines up the middle?

8 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I don't know all the intricacies of football, but with the speed of JT and Wentz is definitely more mobile than Peyton ever was, why don't we run the stretch play that was so effective with Peyton and Edge?

How often do teams run the stretch? I feel like too many teams are running either zone blocking cutback lanes or single cut downhill.

12 hours ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Good point dude, probably more a symptom of Franks preferred formations as a pose to him not liking it the stretch.

I’ll be interested to see if someone can pick this sort a little more.

maybe a big PA shot in the playoffs huh! :funny:

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

How often do teams run the stretch? I feel like too many teams are running either zone blocking cutback lanes or single cut downhill.

I think the cut back allows more potential options but damn the stretch would be nice to see.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I like the simple fake toss the Chiefs ran tonight.  With teams concentrating on JT, that would force the safety hesitation and would give our WRs plenty of time to get open.

The chiefs have different backs more scat backs,  in one of our previous games it was mentioned how the draw and the wheel routes could be utilised more effectively with JT to off balance the defence. knowing us I feel like if we ran a sweet someone would blow it up and bloody scoop and score haha. Oh the life of a Colts fan :p

Go Colts

3 hours ago, Jack86 said:

The chiefs have different backs more scat backs,  in one of our previous games it was mentioned how the draw and the wheel routes could be utilised more effectively with JT to off balance the defence. knowing us I feel like if we ran a sweet someone would blow it up and bloody scoop and score haha. Oh the life of a Colts fan :p

Go Colts

Like our screens?! We look like the little Giants every GD time we try to run a screen play. Then I watch other teams consistently run them..

And also as far as the stretch run.. is it because teams run from the shotgun so much nowadays, maybe the stretch isn't as effective from the gun?

4 hours ago, Jack86 said:

Good point dude, probably more a symptom of Franks preferred formations as a pose to him not liking it the stretch.

I’ll be interested to see if someone can pick this sort a little more.

maybe a big PA shot in the playoffs huh! :funny:

I think the cut back allows more potential options but damn the stretch would be nice to see.

Probably because they would get called for holding lol

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

Pretty sure single cut downhill is already associated with zone block running. The Gary Kubiak/ Mike Shanahan teams are zone blocking with backs who are 1 cut downhill runners ie Arian Foster...

49 minutes ago, life long said:

Pretty sure single cut downhill is already associated with zone block running. The Gary Kubiak/ Mike Shanahan teams are zone blocking with backs who are 1 cut downhill runners ie Arian Foster...

I was referring to more man blocking with backs like Henry

Rick Venturi touched on this a couple years ago on the radio show.  The "stretch" play is kind of a dead play because the Linebackers and Safety's in today's game are much faster than years ago, and even the Dline guys move very fast in short bursts which disrupts lateral movement.  I remember him saying at the most a team could do a play-action out of it, but even then the QB would have very little time to throw in today's NFL (not to mention our Dline.).

Archived