Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Then there was one S.Davis...finally rookie Shawn wins the battle

holeymoley99

With Sean being cut yesterday in favor of Tackle Anthony Coyle the confusion has ended for the time being. Sean played 10 snaps on sunday but Sendejo's signing made him expendable. Not sure if Coyle brings any upside, lack of size,expierence and played at lower level (Fordham)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Coyle_(American_football)

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Are we talking about the Ss or the new T/G?   

I don't see where this helps the rookie much.  Shawn is the guy that's supposed to have some deep ball traits, so I figured we'd keep him around unless he just plain showed nothing in practice.

Talking mainly about the Safety position Shawn's potential won out over Sean's experience and play...when Sean was cut we signed Tackle Anthony Coyle who must have impressed in workout because his past shows no signs of being NFL ready. 

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Are we talking about the Ss or the new T/G?   

I don't see where this helps the rookie much.  Shawn is the guy that's supposed to have some deep ball traits, so I figured we'd keep him around unless he just plain showed nothing in practice.

The title vs some of the comments are disjointed.

We...

Cut/waived Sean Davis from the PS after promoting him from the PS to the game day roster

We didn't promote Shawn Davis, but he's still on the PS, and will likely stay for development

We cut Wilcox (CB/S) from the 53 who is one of the guys we cut Chachere for (amongst other roster shuffle).

We signed a vet safety Sendejo to the 53

Coyle T/G replaced Sean Davis on the PS.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

So two safeties that have been drafted in the last few years have been released. 

Less than ideal

If my Safety accounting is correct, the 53 currently has 4.  Blackmon, Willis, Sandejo, and Odum?   

By default, that makes Blackmon the most deep-ish playing safety we have right now.  Two are thumpers and the other ST.

Just now, Smonroe said:

Which two?

I assume Hooker and Davis, unless I'm missing another.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If my Safety accounting is correct, the 53 currently has 4.  Blackmon, Willis, Sandejo, and Odum?   

By default, that makes Blackmon the most deep-ish playing safety we have right now.  Two are thumpers and the other ST.

I assume Hooker and Davis, unless I'm missing another.

Hooker was 17, right?  Davis is still on the team.  Ballard has been pretty good drafting safety's.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Hooker was 17, right?  Davis is still on the team.  Ballard has been pretty good drafting safety's.

I won't speak for TheFish for meaning that 2017 was recent, but Davis was drafted in the 5th, sent to the PS, and if you look a couple of comments up, has been released from the PS.   I think those are the two he's talking about.  I can't think of another S we drafted other than Willis and Blackmon, who are on the 53.

I think I listed the 4 we have on the 53 now.  I could be wrong.

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I won't speak for TheFish for meaning that 2017 was recent, but Davis was drafted in the 5th, sent to the PS, and if you look a couple of comments up, has been released from the PS.   I think those are the two he's talking about.  I can't think of another S we drafted other than Willis and Blackmon, who are on the 53.

I think I listed the 4 we have on the 53 now.  I could be wrong.

Yeah, no doubt that Hooker was a miss.  But not hitting on a 5th round pick isn't the worst thing in the world.  The roster is pretty established.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

So you don't think Willis and Blackmon are good?  Okay, that's your opinion.

Blackmon would be good in a run support roll from what I've seen, but in coverage.. hit or miss. And, yeah, my opinion is that I wouldn't call either "good". 

2017 Rd 1 Pick 15 Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St -- great start, suffered injury, never was the same again

2018 Undrafted FA George Odum, S, Cent Arkansas - 2020 first team All Pro as special teams

2019 Rd 4 Pick 109 Khari Willis, S, Michigan St -- immediately took Clayton Geathers' starting job, but yet to shine further

2019 Rd 5 Pick 144 Marvell Tell III, S, USC -- drafted as CB/S hybrid, showed promise, demoted to practice squad 2021

2020 Rd 3 Pick 85 Julian Blackmon, S, Utah -- injury history in college caused doubts, doubts erased rookie year, still growing

2020 Rd 6 Pick 213 Jordan Glasgow, S, Michigan -- covid opt out 2020, not on current team

2021 Rd 5 Pick 165 Shawn Davis, S, Florida -- more box safety than cover, possibility for special teams, did not make squad

Ballard hasn't invested a high draft pick in Safety since Malik Hooker.  We've had the expected fair-to-decent play at the position, based upon the draft level of the guys we got.  It would be nice if one (or more) of our guys stepped up to national prominence.  But I would say, if you want to be sure you get somebody like that, then you gotta draft them higher to get it.

(Obviously, our issues and needs at other positions outweighed Safety when drafting early.)

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

So you don't think Willis and Blackmon are good?  Okay, that's your opinion.

They are good when used in the right coverage and/or situation. And can be very lacking in the wrong coverage or situation. 

Willis..... Box yes, C2 vs a vertical QB and WR, no... 

Blackmon..... has always struggled in coverage, but has always been an elite hitter coming forward.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

2017 Rd 1 Pick 15 Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St -- great start, suffered injury, never was the same again

2018 Undrafted FA George Odum, S, Cent Arkansas - 2020 first team All Pro as special teams

2019 Rd 4 Pick 109 Khari Willis, S, Michigan St -- immediately took Clayton Geathers' starting job, but yet to shine further

2019 Rd 5 Pick 144 Marvell Tell III, S, USC -- drafted as CB/S hybrid, showed promise, demoted to practice squad 2021

2020 Rd 3 Pick 85 Julian Blackmon, S, Utah -- injury history in college caused doubts, doubts erased rookie year, still growing

2020 Rd 6 Pick 213 Jordan Glasgow, S, Michigan -- covid opt out 2020, not on current team

2021 Rd 5 Pick 165 Shawn Davis, S, Florida -- more box safety than cover, possibility for special teams, did not make squad

Ballard hasn't invested a high draft pick in Safety since Malik Hooker.  We've had the expected fair-to-decent play at the position, based upon the draft level of the guys we got.  It would be nice if one (or more) of our guys stepped up to national prominence.  But I would say, if you want to be sure you get somebody like that, then you gotta draft them higher to get it.

(Obviously, our issues and needs at other positions outweighed Safety when drafting early.)

Glasgow never opted out he played entire 2020 and currently on active roster played 18 snaps last sunday (75% of all s.t snaps)...not sure who you have him confused with.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. He was a UDFA who bounced around though to a couple teams before he made it to the Colts, so wouldn't have been on his list of draftees anyway. 

Ach!!  This is what happens when you rely on wikipedia.  I made an assumption based on their "He was placed on [the Colts] reserve/COVID list Dec 13, 2020", which obviously means he played up until that date.  And on their current 2021 roster, he's listed as a linebacker, so I missed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Glasgow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Indianapolis_Colts_season

Poo.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Ach!!  This is what happens when you rely on wikipedia.  I made an assumption based on their "He was placed on [the Colts] reserve/COVID list Dec 13, 2020", which obviously means he played up until that date.  And on their current 2021 roster, he's listed as a linebacker, so I missed him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Glasgow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Indianapolis_Colts_season

Poo.

And -- I wound up responding to the wrong post.

I must be getting old.  (Oh, wait a minute, I am getting old.)

@holymoley99

Archived