Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Envisions Freeney as Suggs

CS Colts Fan

They played two different positions. Like I said earlier, comparing stats between Suggs and Freeney is like comparing stats between Eric Weddle and Nnamdi Asomugha. I'm not trying to downplay Suggs' stats, or upplay (?) Freeney's, I just don't think it's a straight-across comparison.

Your right. It isn't. It is so hard to compare them because they are so different and have played differently. Much the same reason it is hard to "envision" Freeney playing the game the way Suggs does. I think that is the arguement about Pagano's comments. It isn't who is better or if Freeney is any good. It is can Freeney play the OLB in the 3-4 in a manner consistant with how Pagano and other 3-4 defenses have in the past (Balt, Pitt, NE, SD)

Personally I think it is just talk(by Pagano when asked)...to keep people happy that we have a place for Freeney and think he is still going to be productive in the new system. I don't think the rumors that we were shopping Freeney earlier in the offseason is just a rumor with not truth. Nothing came from it because the asking price was to high for other teams with his current contract and with available FAs and the draft. I see Freeney having his own role on the defense but it will not look anything like Suggs role. I don't thing he has the skills to play the position the way Suggs does. Rush the passer...absolutely...but two different things.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right. It isn't. It is so hard to compare them because they are so different and have played differently. Much the same reason it is hard to "envision" Freeney playing the game the way Suggs does. I think that is the arguement about Pagano's comments. It isn't who is better or if Freeney is any good. It is can Freeney play the OLB in the 3-4 in a manner consistant with how Pagano and other 3-4 defenses have in the past (Balt, Pitt, NE, SD)

Personally I think it is just talk(by Pagano when asked)...to keep people happy that we have a place for Freeney and think he is still going to be productive in the new system. I don't think the rumors that we were shopping Freeney earlier in the offseason is just a rumor with not truth. Nothing came from it because the asking price was to high for other teams with his current contract and with available FAs and the draft. I see Freeney having his own role on the defense but it will not look anything like Suggs role. I don't thing he has the skills to play the position the way Suggs does. Rush the passer...absolutely...but two different things.

Yes, there's definitely some salesmanship going on. Teams were unwilling to trade for Freeney because they expected him to be released. So now the front office has to show that they're willing to keep him, and maybe they really are, but that will result in serious offers if anyone is really interested in him. And if he does stay, then I'm sure Pagano and Manusky can find a way to keep him involved in the defense. They won't get their money's worth, but he's a good player with superb athleticism, and if we're playing 4-3 alignments with any regularity, there will be plenty of pure pass rush opportunities for Freeney. The rest is gravy.

Yes, there's definitely some salesmanship going on. Teams were unwilling to trade for Freeney because they expected him to be released. So now the front office has to show that they're willing to keep him, and maybe they really are, but that will result in serious offers if anyone is really interested in him. And if he does stay, then I'm sure Pagano and Manusky can find a way to keep him involved in the defense. They won't get their money's worth, but he's a good player with superb athleticism, and if we're playing 4-3 alignments with any regularity, there will be plenty of pure pass rush opportunities for Freeney. The rest is gravy.

I agree 100%. We will find opportunities for him. I also think we do whatever possible to move him. If we aren't going to extend him (and not a single report or indication we are trying) then it is really not plausible to keep him. I think after the draft we see team with cap space (and pre-season favorites/playoff contenders) that run a 4-3 look for upgrade at DE if they don't land someone. I especially look at teams like Cincy, Philly, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Seattle all have cap space and if he restructures other teams might get involved. He is a bit pricey but I think he could land us a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year. I think we are trying to keep his value high and Pagano has said nothing but positives about EVERY single player on our team...some very questionably positive lol. We will just have to wait and see.

Heck we may even have to go for a trade just to work out the money on a deal but Chicago had tried to upgrade Idonije this march wanting to go after Mario Williams. Putting Freeney across from Peppers would make a sick pass rush...and the Bears have a very disgruntled LB in Briggs and RB in Forte. Who knows somebody like that could make us an offer. Long shot but a shot.

See this is the thing. Freeney is one dimensional. I firmly believe this until proven otherwise. If the offense knows what Freeney is doing you just account for him and pick him up (not as easy done). Fact is Suggs is unpredictable. He may come..he may fall back..he may play the run. That is what he does. That is why I don't think Pagano envisioning Freeney as Suggs is anything more than talk.

People first and foremost think of Suggs/Freeney as pass rushers...but upon closer inspection you see all the things Suggs does that makes him special..and what makes him dangerous because the opposing offense doesn't know what he is going to do. If Pagano would have said he will use Freeney like Mario Williams last year or like Dallas uses Ware then that would be a much more plausible comment. Freeney is great at what he does but to think he is going to have the same impact on a game as Suggs does I think is quite a reach. Personally, I would rather use that money and future cap space on a true 3-4 olb or to upgrade other areas. Some of us just don't agree. Some see Freeney's last 3 years and see him on the decline..and see his huge contract and see the change in defense and see a change in roster as necessary. Some want to hold on to Freeney returning to dominance. We shall see I guess.

Agreed, my biggest argument has been the cap hit combined with the experiment he will be at linebacker, then why did we bring in other true linebackers (at least one I know of) freeny has been dominant for us until the last couple years the 14 or 19 million dollar experiment is to big a risk