Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated Colts Needs List (1/1/12)

Sorry I haven't written something in a while, been really busy. Here's today's article:

The Colts had a lot of needs before the bulk of their signings commenced. This is what the old list looked like:

*Assuming Andrew Luck gets drafted* (List from March 18th)

1. Cornerback

2. Nose Tackle

3. Tight End

4. Offensive Guard

5. Center

6. Wide Receiver

7. Strong Safety

8. 3-4 Defensive End

After the signings of Samson Satele, Tom Zbikowski, Cory Redding, Donnie Avery, and the resigning of Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis, and the loss of Jeff Saturday, Jacob Tamme, and Pierre Garcon (just ot name a few) the Colts needs list looks like this:

*Assuming Andrew Luck gets drafted*

1. Tight End

2. Cornerback/Nose Tackle

...Gap...

3. Wide Receiver

4. Offensive Guard

5. Running Back

You can see that three of the needs have been erased, and they have really only added one minor one. I've seen good progess from the Colts in the free agency so far, and let's see how this list looks after the draft.

i dont think CB is that huge a need. we still have kevin thomas and chris rucker to develop. i think our two biggest needs are TE and NT. since the colts havent made any moves at those positions im assuming they either like whats already on the roster or they will address it through the draft. the TEs we have currently on the roster our eldridge, anthony hill, and justin snow and if they are banking on the draft unless fleener falls to us there is no TE in the draft i want. for NT the only person i can see playing that position is nevis. he can be a jay ratlieff type of NT, but we still need someone else to play NT as well so if fleener doesnt fall to us brandon thompson will most likely be our second round pick

i dont think CB is that huge a need. we still have kevin thomas and chris rucker to develop. i think our two biggest needs are TE and NT. since the colts havent made any moves at those positions im assuming they either like whats already on the roster or they will address it through the draft. the TEs we have currently on the roster our eldridge, anthony hill, and justin snow and if they are banking on the draft unless fleener falls to us there is no TE in the draft i want. for NT the only person i can see playing that position is nevis. he can be a jay ratlieff type of NT, but we still need someone else to play NT as well so if fleener doesnt fall to us brandon thompson will most likely be our second round pick

All we have is the draft left we are right up against the cap with enough room to sign draft picks.So no more FA signings unless Freeney redoes contract or gets cut.And i mostly agree about CB if we cannot redo Freeney to free up cap room,but there will be NTs in FA after draft and june cuts that i think we will need a vet to help in 3-4 transition.

Need:

QB, CB (2), NT, TE, WR (2), OL, ILB, DE...

We're not out of the woods yet.

QB is not a need as I based my list off the fact that Luck would be picked. ILB is certainly not a need. Conner and Angerer are 2 good ILBs, just look at how they did last year. DE is debatable, but with Redding being a solid starter and Moala and Nevis rotating at the other DE spot (plus Freeney + Mathis as DE's in a 4-3), I don't think that's a need. This is what your list should look like:

CB, NT, TE, WR, OL

Which is, almost the same as mine. :)

TE is not nearly as big a need as CB. You've all fallen in love with Fleener, so now he is apparently the biggest need? No way. I was wanting Fleener in the second before everyone else, but switched to WR. And WR was #6 BEFORE signings? Please, we only had Collie, White, and some scrubs! Stephen Hill for #34!! Needs in order: CB, NT, WR and TE (tie), OG, RB.

JMO though. Sorry, kinda vented there.

TE is not nearly as big a need as CB. You've all fallen in love with Fleener, so now he is apparently the biggest need? No way. I was wanting Fleener in the second before everyone else, but switched to WR. And WR was #6 BEFORE signings? Please, we only had Collie, White, and some scrubs! Stephen Hill for #34!! Needs in order: CB, NT, WR and TE (tie), OG, RB.

To me, TE is more of a need not because of Fleener, but because we only have Eldridge. I would love it if we could get Dwayne Allen in the third or Rodriguez in the 5th-6th. Fleener would be great to have but he isn't the reason we need a TE.

Tight End has a very close lead over CB just because there is absolutely nobody at the TE spot. It's just Eldridge. At least at CB we have one starter, but nothing else. TE is very important because Luck loves TE and works well with TE. Look at what he did with Fleener and Ertz. Having a good TE moving forward is extremely important especially with Luck. We can't go forward just with Eldridge. The NT spot is close behind too, but Johnson is there for now plus you never know Nevis may rotate in there and the same with Moala.

TE is very important because Luck loves TE and works well with TE. Look at what he did with Fleener and Ertz.

And look where he went the year before, when he had both Ryan Whalen and Doug Baldwin. He uses them, and well, but he plays with the talent he has.

I think it's important to have a good tight end, and the Colts don't have that, so I think Fleener is a fine pick. I just don't think it's vital with the second pick.

QB is not a need as I based my list off the fact that Luck would be picked. ILB is certainly not a need. Conner and Angerer are 2 good ILBs, just look at how they did last year. DE is debatable, but with Redding being a solid starter and Moala and Nevis rotating at the other DE spot (plus Freeney + Mathis as DE's in a 4-3), I don't think that's a need. This is what your list should look like:

CB, NT, TE, WR, OL

Just because we have two ILB who might play well in the new system certainly does not mean its not a need. One injury would put the team in real trouble at the position and the draftee might be an upgrade. DE is certainly a need. Yes, Redding will be a good starter but can't play every down. Moala and Nevis may or may not be solid there but will also need to rotate and play tackle in the 4-3. It also takes a couple years to develop and at that point Redding will be playing less. I'm not saying that either "must" be dealt with in the second round but if the talent is right at 34, great. I think the only positions that aren't needs in the second round will be QB, RB, S, C,

Ive not fallen in love with Fleener im with you gr

ab CB gilmore if hes there at 34.NT vet would be a great addition to help transiition,Not saying he would even have to be great just good enough to help develop some young talent.

CB, NT, TE, WR, OL

I'm fine with Conner + Angerer start at ILB - but someone who could come in and play if they get injured would be nice - are Sims/Bentley/Edds even contracted? Just thinking because people wanted Wheeler to stay but nobody wants to replace him now he's gone.