Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WSJ article on Peyton Manning was interesting.

AustexColt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well Peyton hasn't accepted any football related jobs or offers so it seems he is not interested. 

He does do "Peyton's Places" and living in Denver he has very easy access to get to pretty much anywhere in the country (or the world in pre-covid times) from there... I'm sure he has his own private jet or access to private transportation, so it probably doesn't really matter where he is anyway.... but I think Peyton will be around football for a very long time in some way or another.

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes I do live in Colorado, and I've been a Peyton fan and Colts fan since I was 10 years old. So I'm pretty qualified on speaking about him. He thinks of them equally, but he is thankful Pat Bowlen and John Elway gave him a second chance and he was able to make two more SBs and win one on a team that was much better built than the Colts.

I don't think he blames Irsay for releasing him, but he knows deep down inside that he was carrying the Colts for 14 years. 

Peyton said flat out when we went 2-14 that the Colts should draft Luck and that Luck was too talented/smart/mature of a player to be sitting as a rookie.  His parting from Indy was mutual.  

Elway was in a position where he thought he could win a superbowl early in his career as a GM when he signed Peyton.  Elway was widely considered in the "Dan Marino" category until very late in his career (i.e., "a great QB who didn't win a SB").  He finally won when he had a very good team around him.  Elway had an elite D and a very solid team when he became GM... why not bring in the GOAT to win a superbowl? Good for Peyton and Elway.

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He does do "Peyton's Places" and living in Denver he has very easy access to get to pretty much anywhere in the country (or the world in pre-covid times) from there... I'm sure he has his own private jet or access to private transportation, so it probably doesn't really matter where he is anyway.... but I think Peyton will be around football for a very long time in some way or another.

Peyton's Place is not exactly what you call having a job or being employed by or in the NFL. 

It's more or less Peyton's personal comedy show. 

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes I do live in Colorado, and I've been a Peyton fan and Colts fan since I was 10 years old. So I'm pretty qualified on speaking about him. He thinks of them equally, but he is thankful Pat Bowlen and John Elway gave him a second chance and he was able to make two more SBs and win one on a team that was much better built than the Colts.

I don't think he blames Irsay for releasing him, but he knows deep down inside that he was carrying the Colts for 14 years. 

I've been a Colts season ticket holder since 1999.  Went to every home game Manning played in Indy plus several on the road as well.  I peed next to him once at St. Elmo's and just last February got my picture with him at a charity event he does for his hospital.  This more than qualifies me to speak on the personal decisions he and his family make and his Denver vs. Indy franchise preference.

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Peyton's Place is not exactly what you call having a job or being employed by or in the NFL. 

It's more or less Peyton's personal comedy show. 

I'm quite sure Peyton makes a lot of money off of it (so yes, it is very much a job, albeit a fun one for Peyton).  It's on ESPN plus, meaning Peyton's employed by ESPN (the largest sports television network out there).  And, it seems as though the majority of guests on the show are former NFL players, so he's closely tied to the NFL through ESPN with it.... yes, it's more like a comedy show, but it has a very wide audience and it keeps Peyton relevant and connected to the NFL and sports fans in  general.

Archived