Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WSJ article on Peyton Manning was interesting.

AustexColt

I did not realize that Peyton chose to live in Denver.  He is a New Orleans native that led me to think, if he enters the HOF is he going in as a COLT or BRONCO?  I know he shows up for Colt events but that maybe just PR work.  How does he see himself?  Brett Favre played at GB, Vikings, Jets but he is remembered and enters the HOF as a Packer. Joe Montana is a 49ers even though he ended his career in KC. So what is the end picture for Peyton?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AustexColt said:

I did not realize that Peyton chose to live in Denver.  He is a New Orleans native that led me to think, if he enters the HOF is he going in as a COLT or BRONCO?  I know he shows up for Colt events but that maybe just PR work.  How does he see himself?  Brett Favre played at GB, Vikings, Jets but he is remembered and enters the HOF as a Packer. Joe Montana is a 49ers even though he ended his career in KC. So what is the end picture for Peyton?

This topic has been raised before. In short, he’ll go in as both. But most of his resume will be due to the time he was in Indy. 

If he goes in as both that's a insult to the fans in Indy, the Colts organization and ESPECIALLY TO IRSAY.

Colts drafted him and he played nearly a Decade and a half with Colts. His last few years was in Denver and the success the Broncos had with him, including the SB was more to the team and their Great Defense rather than Manning and his deteriorated arm he took with him.

I personally couldn't care less which hat he puts on at ceremony, just giving my humbled opinion. 

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If he goes in as both that's a insult to the fans in Indy, the Colts organization and ESPECIALLY TO IRSAY.

Colts drafted him and he played nearly a Decade and a half with Colts. His last few years was in Denver and the success the Broncos had with him, including the SB was more to the team and their Great Defense rather than Manning and his deteriorated arm he took with him.

I personally couldn't care less which hat he puts on at ceremony, just giving my humbled opinion. 

Couldn’t care less about what jersey Manning selects for the HOF but he averaged 44 TDS his first 3 years in Denver where  his best 3.  He had as good stats  in 04 with the Colts.  He actually had his best years in Denver arguably.

I love it when people say Peyton accomplished just as much in Denver than he did in Indy. Now people wonder why I say winning is basically the only thing it matters. He went to 2 SB's and won 1 with each franchise but Peyton played 14 seasons in Indy and won 12 games or more 7 years in a row. He had 1 great year in Denver which was 2013, his 2004 season here is very comparable. He is way more a Colt than a Bronco and it is not even debatable. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love it when people say Peyton accomplished just as much in Denver than he did in Indy. Now people wonder why I say winning is basically the only thing it matters. He went to 2 SB's and won 1 with each franchise but Peyton played 14 seasons in Indy and won 12 games or more 7 years in a row. He had 1 great year in Denver which was 2013, his 2004 season here is very comparable. He is way more a Colt than a Bronco and it is not even debatable. 

I will add to this, where is his statue at in Denver, that is what I thought, He has 1 here.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Peyton never played a snap in Denver, he is still a first ballot HOF'er.

Indy = 141-67, 398 TD's, 54,828 yards, 2 SB app's 1 win

These stats are terrific, but 4 years in Denver doesn't get him in the HOF.

Denver = 45-12,  140 TD's, 17,112 yards, 2 SB app's, 1 win

8 minutes ago, coltsva said:

NFL HOF inductees do not have any team affiliation. They are associated with the team, jersey, and city of your choice.

Yeah, I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand.

That said, in almost everything Peyton does involving his team affiliation, he claims both.  His golf cart in the Woods/Mickelson thing had Colts on one side, Broncos on the other.  And that’s all fine with me.

If we wanted Peyton’s identity all to ourselves, we would’ve had to have held on to him.  And we didn’t.

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

If Peyton never played a snap in Denver, he is still a first ballot HOF'er.

Indy = 141-67, 398 TD's, 54,828 yards, 2 SB app's 1 win

These stats are terrific, but 4 years in Denver doesn't get him in the HOF.

Denver = 45-12,  140 TD's, 17,112 yards, 2 SB app's, 1 win

Look at the end on both. In 14 years, he made 2 SBs and won one in Indy. In 4 years, he made 2 SBs, and won one in Denver. Same production in 10 less years. That's why his time in Denver is equal to his time in Indy. The most important stat. You can blame Bill and Chris Polian on that one for not putting a complete team around him in 14 years.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Look at the end on both. In 14 years, he made 2 SBs and won one in Indy. In 4 years, he made 2 SBs, and won one in Denver. Same production in 10 less years. That's why his time in Denver is equal to his time in Indy. The most important stat. You can blame Bill and Chris Polian on that one for not putting a complete team around him in 14 years.

You're going to hang your hat on a Super Bowl victory that the Broncos won in spite of PM's performance, and a 3 game playoff stat line of

Passing attempts 92

Completions       51

Yards                  539

TD's                     2

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Equal in SB wins yes but what he did in Indy blows away what he did in Denver. He won 4 MVP's in Indy, 1 with Denver. His time in Indy is why he will be a Hall of Famer.

Just now, coltsva said:

You're going to hang your hat on a Super Bowl victory that the Broncos won in spite of PM's performance, and a 3 game playoff stat line of

Passing attempts 92

Completions       51

Yards                  539

TD's                     2

Brady didn't have a good stat-line Vs the Rams and he won one there. So absolutely. Peyton had a great year and lost to the Seahawks, so I will conversly take the win when he won the SB with the Panthers. Sometimes things turn out weird. He still accomplished just as much in Denver because he had an actual team around him, and I was rooting for him the entire way.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Equal in SB wins yes but what he did in Indy blows away what he did in Denver. He won 4 MVP's in Indy, 1 with Denver. His time in Indy is why he will be a Hall of Famer.

Here's the issue. If Manning was on the Broncos his entire career, he'd have more than 2 SBs. Brady would have less than 6 SBs. The gap would be considerably closer. That's Polians fault though, and proves what a great team does for even the greatest QB of all time. Separates Brady from Manning SB-wise, and shows how someone like Ballard is a great GM even without Luck.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brady didn't have a good stat-line Vs the Rams and he won one there. So absolutely. Peyton had a great year and lost to the Seahawks, so I will conversly take the win when he won the SB with the Panthers. Sometimes things turn out weird. He still accomplished just as much in Denver because he had an actual team around him, and I was rooting for him the entire way.

Our definition of accomplished is different, so that's fine.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Here's the issue. If Manning was on the Broncos his entire career, he'd have more than 2 SBs. Brady would have less than 6 SBs. The gap would be considerably closer. That's Polians fault though, and proves what a great team does for even the greatest QB of all time. Separates Brady from Manning SB-wise, and shows how someone like Ballard is a great GM even without Luck.

The bolded is 100% unknown.

I like Ballard, and I like what he's building here, but his teams have 1 playoff appearance and 1 playoff win in 3 years. IMO, he has this year and another 2 to prove the "great" part of your statement.

Just now, coltsva said:

The bolded is 100% unknown.

I like Ballard, and I like what he's building here, but his teams have 1 playoff appearance and 1 playoff win in 3 years. IMO, he has this year and another 2 to prove the "great" part of your statement.

He's also had 1 year with Luck, and two years with Brissett. The year with Luck he made the playoffs and won a playoff game. The team was horrible with little to no talent after Grigson was fired. Pagano held the team back somewhat in 2017 while he remained as a Coach as well while we had some leftover scouts from the Grigson era. Ballard wasn't able to get anything done until 2018. He had one year with Luck, had a great draft, and made the playoffs and won a playoff game around that. After that, Luck retired, and we had Brissett in 2019. Now we have Rivers in 2020, and we are already 10-4 with a great team around him. Again. Team. See what a great team does for even a QB past his prime that is just an average game-manager now? Imagine if we still had Luck. We'd be a SB contender competing with the Chiefs year after year because of the team around Luck. Again, team. Not hard to understand.

We just need consistently good QB play. Not even great play. We have given ourselves that luxury because of the team Ballard has built in 4 years from nothing on the Colts.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's also had 1 year with Luck, and two years with Brissett. The year with Luck he made the playoffs and won a playoff game. The team was horrible with little to no talent after Grigson was fired. Pagano held the team back somewhat in 2017 while he remained as a Coach as well while we had some leftover scouts from the Grigson era. Ballard wasn't able to get anything done until 2018. He had one year with Luck, had a great draft, and made the playoffs and won a playoff game around that. After that, Luck retired, and we had Brissett in 2019. Now we have Rivers in 2020, and we are already 10-4 with a great team around him. Again. Team. See what a great team does for even a QB past his prime that is just an average game-manager now? Imagine if we still had Luck. We'd be a SB contender competing with the Chiefs year after year because of the team around Luck. Again, team. Not hard to understand.

We just need consistently good QB play. Not even great play. We have given ourselves that luxury because of the team Ballard has built in 4 years from nothing on the Colts.

Kind of hard for any head coach to be successful when his roster was terrible with little to no talent wouldn't you think? 

His time in Denver is absolutely not equal in his time in indy.   Any reasonable person knows that

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kind of hard for any head coach to be successful when his roster was terrible with little to no talent wouldn't you think? 

Pagano was bad for other reasons besides the lack of talent. He was way too conservative, didn't scheme well, and never learned from his mistakes. He's a defensive coordinator, plain and simple. 

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

and how did they fare after he left? 

“My first day on the team. My first team meeting. Each coach, coordinator talks. Head coach talks. Meeting over. See you tomorrow, get ready for practice. No.

Jack Del Rio talks. John Fox talks. And before you guys go…Peyton Manning. It wasn’t even like, ‘On your way out Peyton has something to say. It was like, ‘Ok, John Fox is done talking. Alright, now Peyton Manning.

[He gives] a whole spiel, a head coach spiel, and then he dismisses the team. And I was like, ‘Ok, this is different.’ I’m on a team with a whole different caliber of player. His whole status is above and beyond anyone I’ve ever played with. That was cool to see, I’ve never seen that in all my years playing football.”

that was from TJ Ward interview 3 days ago. Peyton ran that team. That super bowl win was because Peyton decided to go to Denver over Miami. The seasons before he was setting records, so the whole “great defense and a noodle arm Manning” bit is tired. 

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His time in Denver is absolutely not equal in his time in indy.   Any reasonable person knows that

His SB accomplishments are. 2 SBs made and 1 SB won on both teams. Took 14 years on Indy and 4 years on Den. That exposes how poor of a team Polian built around Peyton. There's a reason Peyton embraces Denver so much.

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Equal in Super Bowl appearances/championships. He set records in Denver. He just didn’t spend the time he did here, which is the thing that slants his career to Indianapolis. He grew up in the league here and built the Colts. He cemented his legacy in Denver as an alpha in the nfl world.

If Rivers wins a SB here and then retires would you guys consider him more of a Colt or Charger at that point because he never won one in SD. See how silly this debate this. Any one knows Peyton is more of a Colt than a Bronco. To me it is common sense. Peyton capped his career off with a SB win, I love that he did because winning 2 puts him in a different category but he won 4 MVP's and a SB MVP with Indy, he won only 1 MVP and wasn't the SB MVP in Denver. 

You said with Luck they would be a SB contender...but then say they have the luxury of not needing a great QB. Those ideas don’t seem to be consistent.

Having a great QB is paramount to a team’s success. 

Still a lot of love for peyton here no doubt. 

But you can't honestly say you won't feel a bit  like a jab by him when he puts a Denver jersey/cap at the ceremony.

I bet irsay will feel it. In fact irsay may be why he will do that. To get back at him for cutting him in favor of luck.

People with big egos dont usually forget or forgive easily. 

Like I said earlier,  I couldn't care less. But I think people in indy will. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

But you can't honestly say you won't feel a bit  like a jab by him when he puts a Denver jersey/cap at the ceremony.

I bet irsay will feel it. In fact irsay may be why he will do that. To get back at him for cutting him in favor of luck.

I think Peyton will wear a suit and tie at the ceremony and talk great about both franchises but most of his success was with Indy. He played 14 seasons here. 

I mean, outside of this organization it seems like most NFL fans connect him with the Broncos...because recency bias and the narrative that we pushed him out (even though he would’ve been KO’d behind that line).

As for the HoF...I thought players weren’t forced to choose what team to go under.

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand.

That said, in almost everything Peyton does involving his team affiliation, he claims both.  His golf cart in the Woods/Mickelson thing had Colts on one side, Broncos on the other.  And that’s all fine with me.

If we wanted Peyton’s identity all to ourselves, we would’ve had to have held on to him.  And we didn’t.

Perfectly stated

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, outside of this organization it seems like most NFL fans connect him with the Broncos (even remember seeing a post on the NFL subreddit about exactly this)...because recency bias and the narrative that we pushed him out (even though he would’ve been KO’d behind that line).

As for the HoF...I thought players weren’t forced to choose what team to go under.

You didn't say this but Rivers spent 16 seasons with the Chargers and only 1 here, so if he wins a SB here I guess Rivers is more of a Colt. See how dumb that sounds lmao . Most of his accomplishments and wins were with the Chargers.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't say this but Rivers spent 16 seasons with the Chargers and only 1 here, so if he wins a SB here I guess Rivers is more of a Colt. See how dumb that sounds lmao . Most of his accomplishments and wins were with the Chargers.

I mean...it’d be a little different...but yeah, I think Rivers kinda would. Think about that, we’d be the team that finally got him a ring...even Chargers fans would be grateful. It’d be different, Rivers winning one SB (and only playing a year or two here) as opposed to Peyton smashing records and going to two SB’s...but I do think it’d be similar. 

So, would he be remembered as a Charger more? Maybe. But people would look at his time more fondly with the Colts no doubt, and that’s what would be etched in memory.

19 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He won't wear anything team specific.   This isn't baseball

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean...it’d be a little different...but yeah, Rivers kinda would. Think about that, we’d be the team that finally got him a ring...even Chargers fans would be grateful. It’d be different, Rivers winning one SB (and only playing a year or two here) as opposed to Peyton smashing records and going to two SB’s...but I do think it’d be similar. 

Irsay would probably put him in the Ring of Honor if he won it all. I would actually but a statue - no. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eventhough it didn't happen I will give another example. What if Brett Favre would've won a SB in Minnesota (2009). He came close to getting there. Would he then be considered more of a Viking then a Packer, it would be 1-1 SB wise? Heck no he wouldn't, Favre won 3 MVP's with GB. JMO

I’m just glad you didn’t suggest what if he won with the jets.  That thought alone would ruin my Xmas.  Lol. 

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Hah if anything the equivalent would be the Chargers building a Rivers statue. Which would be weird.

I honestly think he deserves one there eventhough he never won a SB. He put up huge numbers, never missed a game, and was the heart and soul of that team for 15 years. He also had a lot of wins.

Archived