Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WSJ article on Peyton Manning was interesting.

AustexColt

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Lol This conversation is why I never rooted for the Broncos while Manning was the QB. 

To be honest I am not sure why this is even a conversation. No matter what he would've accomplished in Denver outside of winning 2 SB's or more would be better than what he accomplished in Indy. He won 1 in Indy and 1 in Denver. I am glad he won that 2nd ring because I love him as a player and that helped his legacy but he is clearly/easily more a Colt. How people don't get that is baffling. He won 4 MVP's with the Colts, 1 with Denver. He won a SB MVP with the Colts, 0 with Denver. The Colts drafted him and he played 80% of his career with the Colts. I guess people have different opinions but I don't get this debate at all.

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

and how did they fare after he left? 

“My first day on the team. My first team meeting. Each coach, coordinator talks. Head coach talks. Meeting over. See you tomorrow, get ready for practice. No.

Jack Del Rio talks. John Fox talks. And before you guys go…Peyton Manning. It wasn’t even like, ‘On your way out Peyton has something to say. It was like, ‘Ok, John Fox is done talking. Alright, now Peyton Manning.

[He gives] a whole spiel, a head coach spiel, and then he dismisses the team. And I was like, ‘Ok, this is different.’ I’m on a team with a whole different caliber of player. His whole status is above and beyond anyone I’ve ever played with. That was cool to see, I’ve never seen that in all my years playing football.”

that was from TJ Ward interview 3 days ago. Peyton ran that team. That super bowl win was because Peyton decided to go to Denver over Miami. The seasons before he was setting records, so the whole “great defense and a noodle arm Manning” bit is tired. 

Ok.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/was-peyton-mannings-performance-the-worst-ever-by-a-super-bowl-winner/2264590/

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't say this but Rivers spent 16 seasons with the Chargers and only 1 here, so if he wins a SB here I guess Rivers is more of a Colt. See how dumb that sounds lmao . Most of his accomplishments and wins were with the Chargers.

Not only that, he's also conceived more kids in San Diego than Indy. :funny:

6 hours ago, coltsva said:

The bolded is 100% unknown.

I like Ballard, and I like what he's building here, but his teams have 1 playoff appearance and 1 playoff win in 3 years. IMO, he has this year and another 2 to prove the "great" part of your statement.

You can add to your statement if you like that Ballard has 2 seasons of good/ elite QB play: Luck 10-6.   &   Rivers 10-4 ....that's 20-10

Without good/elite QB play his records are :  4-12.    &   7-9.  that's  11-21

So like just about every other GM he needs Good QB play to win.. Which I fail to see how that elevates him to Greatness.

14 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I did not realize that Peyton chose to live in Denver.  He is a New Orleans native that led me to think, if he enters the HOF is he going in as a COLT or BRONCO?  I know he shows up for Colt events but that maybe just PR work.  How does he see himself?  Brett Favre played at GB, Vikings, Jets but he is remembered and enters the HOF as a Packer. Joe Montana is a 49ers even though he ended his career in KC. So what is the end picture for Peyton?

You go into the hall a player they list all the teams you played for.

Rings are important when ranking players but not everything. As long as a QB wins 1 than his resume is full filled to go along with winning MVP's of course. Marino actually won 0 rings, did win an MVP and I would take him over Bradshaw anyday so like I said rings aren't everything but it is something a QB should strive for to have all the boxes checked off. 

24 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rings are important when ranking players but not everything. As long as a QB wins 1 than his resume is full filled to go along with winning MVP's of course. Marino actually won 0 rings, did win an MVP and I would take him over Bradshaw anyday so like I said rings aren't everything but it is something a QB should strive for to have all the boxes checked off. 

Talent wise I would take Marino over Bradshaw but the disrespect that is aimed at Bradshaw is horse dung.

Bradshaw did win a league MVP and 2 super bowl MVPs. Add 3 pro bowls and 4 super bowl rings and he deserves the respect that some don't want to give. 

I honestly don't get the need to have the individual who is no longer in a relationship with you, to remember you as the best or more important.

I have had two long marriages. One ended by her request, one ended by mine. My life since has not been buoyed nor diminished by where they rank me in their life experiences. However, I will always treasure the time I had with both. 

16 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I did not realize that Peyton chose to live in Denver.  He is a New Orleans native that led me to think, if he enters the HOF is he going in as a COLT or BRONCO?  I know he shows up for Colt events but that maybe just PR work.  How does he see himself?  Brett Favre played at GB, Vikings, Jets but he is remembered and enters the HOF as a Packer. Joe Montana is a 49ers even though he ended his career in KC. So what is the end picture for Peyton?

It is amazing to me how many people consistently get the HoF enshrinement wrong. 

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

If he goes in as both that's a insult to the fans in Indy, the Colts organization and ESPECIALLY TO IRSAY.

Colts drafted him and he played nearly a Decade and a half with Colts. His last few years was in Denver and the success the Broncos had with him, including the SB was more to the team and their Great Defense rather than Manning and his deteriorated arm he took with him.

I personally couldn't care less which hat he puts on at ceremony, just giving my humbled opinion. 

I hope you are kidding.

He had the best 3 year stretch in his career his first 3 years in Denver.  His second season there was the only season he ever threw for >5,000 yards.  He broke the NFL record for TD passes in a season (55) and yards (5,477) in a season, both of which still stand his 2nd year in Denver.  He won the MVP that year and wound up losing in the superbowl.

You literally are not serious with your statement, you cannot be.  That, or you know nothing about football.  The greatest single season by a QB (passing wise, not getting into if we can include seasons like Lamar Jackson's MVP year last year where he was equally as valuable as a runner) in NFL history was 2013 by Peyton Manning who won an NFL MVP while setting the all-time NFL records for passing yards and TDs.  If he did that with a deteriorated arm, what the heck was he doing the decade and a half he was in Indy?

To the OP... it is not surprising Peyton chose to live in Denver.  Denver (and the Front Range of CO) has been one of the fastest growing areas in the United States for the past decade or so.  Having recently moved from Laramie, WY (2 hours north of Denver... after growing up 1 hour south of NYC), I can say Denver is a very nice 'small city' with beautiful summers and beautiful winters being surrounded by the Rocky Mountains and some of the best ski resorts in the US.  

Elway has become a very successful businessman in Denver after his playing career (aside from his part with the Broncos, he owns multiple restaurants and car dealerships in Denver and surrounding areas).  Peyton went into Papa John's and had ~30 stores in the Denver area (which he was involved in for 5-6 years and got out of right before Papa John's was removed as the NFL's official pizza sponsor), which gives a bit of sensible reason as to why he'd want to stick around Denver.  I'm not sure if, or what, other businesses Peyton may be involved in out there... but even if he's not, Denver is sort of in the middle of the country (easy to get to either coast from there) and Denver International Airport makes it easy for Peyton to get pretty much where ever he could want fairly easily (pre-Covid times anyway).  

Manning also has twins who were born in 2011.  There are good school systems in and around the Denver area.  I could be wrong, but they would've been school-age around the time he was retiring from the Broncos.  Perhaps he wanted them to have some stability throughout elementary and high school?  

Long story short, Peyton choosing to stay in Denver doesn't shock me for a wide variety of reasons.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Talent wise I would take Marino over Bradshaw but the disrespect that is aimed at Bradshaw is horse dung.

Bradshaw did win a league MVP and 2 super bowl MVPs. Add 3 pro bowls and 4 super bowl rings and he deserves the respect that some don't want to give. 

Pulled the ol' horse dung comment out lmao . Of course Bradshaw wasn't a scrub, he was great as was Aikman. I was just giving an example of a QB that has multiple rings to a QB that had 0 I would take :thmup:

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I hope you are kidding.

He had the best 3 year stretch in his career his first 3 years in Denver.  His second season there was the only season he ever threw for >5,000 yards.  He broke the NFL record for TD passes in a season (55) and yards (5,477) in a season, both of which still stand his 2nd year in Denver.  He won the MVP that year and wound up losing in the superbowl.

You literally are not serious with your statement, you cannot be.  That, or you know nothing about football.  The greatest single season by a QB (passing wise, not getting into if we can include seasons like Lamar Jackson's MVP year last year where he was equally as valuable as a runner) in NFL history was 2013 by Peyton Manning who won an NFL MVP while setting the all-time NFL records for passing yards and TDs.  If he did that with a deteriorated arm, what the heck was he doing the decade and a half he was in Indy?

To the OP... it is not surprising Peyton chose to live in Denver.  Denver (and the Front Range of CO) has been one of the fastest growing areas in the United States for the past decade or so.  Having recently moved from Laramie, WY (2 hours north of Denver... after growing up 1 hour south of NYC), I can say Denver is a very nice 'small city' with beautiful summers and beautiful winters being surrounded by the Rocky Mountains and some of the best ski resorts in the US.  

Elway has become a very successful businessman in Denver after his playing career (aside from his part with the Broncos, he owns multiple restaurants and car dealerships in Denver and surrounding areas).  Peyton went into Papa John's and had ~30 stores in the Denver area (which he was involved in for 5-6 years and got out of right before Papa John's was removed as the NFL's official pizza sponsor), which gives a bit of sensible reason as to why he'd want to stick around Denver.  I'm not sure if, or what, other businesses Peyton may be involved in out there... but even if he's not, Denver is sort of in the middle of the country (easy to get to either coast from there) and Denver International Airport makes it easy for Peyton to get pretty much where ever he could want fairly easily (pre-Covid times anyway).  

Manning also has twins who were born in 2011.  There are good school systems in and around the Denver area.  I could be wrong, but they would've been school-age around the time he was retiring from the Broncos.  Perhaps he wanted them to have some stability throughout elementary and high school?  

Long story short, Peyton choosing to stay in Denver doesn't shock me for a wide variety of reasons.

Manning owns homes in Colorado, Tennessee and Florida. 

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I hope you are kidding.

Colorado is a nice place so I get why is living there. Yes he had a great 3 year stretch in Denver, 1 really great year = 2013 and won a SB in 2015. Having said that 11 of his 13 seasons played in Indy were great and he won 4 MVP's in Indy + a SB MVP and also a SB win. His 2004 season is very comparable to his 2013 season as well. If I remember right we even rested Peyton in 2004 most of the last game of the season otherwise he would've had over 50 TD's and nearly 5000 yards. The only 2 seasons he didn't play well in was his rookie year and in 2001. I think 11 years compared to 4 outweighs anything he did in Denver. 

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

TB was bad to start but was great after that. It’s easy to see if you just look at his numbers compared to his peers.

18 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I honestly don't get the need to have the individual who is no longer in a relationship with you, to remember you as the best or more important.

I have had two long marriages. One ended by her request, one ended by mine. My life since has not been buoyed nor diminished by where they rank me in their life experiences. However, I will always treasure the time I had with both. 

Come on man you must have a favorite xwife.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colorado is a nice place so I get why is living there. Yes he had a great 3 year stretch in Denver, 1 really great year = 2013 and won a SB in 2015. Having said that 11 of his 13 seasons played in Indy were great and he won 4 MVP's in Indy + a SB MVP and also a SB win. His 2004 season is very comparable to his 2013 season as well. If I remember right we even rested Peyton in 2004 most of the last game of the season otherwise he would've had over 50 TD's and nearly 5000 yards. The only 2 seasons he didn't play well in was his rookie year and in 2001. I think 11 years compared to 4 outweighs anything he did in Denver. 

I didn't say in my post that he was choosing to be a Bronco over a Colt.   And I don't disagree with you that his time in Indy and accomplishments there outweigh what he did in Denver as a player.  The first part of my post was directed in response to another poster who claimed Peyton took a deteriorated arm with him to Denver, which simply wasn't the case - he did have the best 3 year stretch of his career (stats wise) the first 3 seasons he was in Denver and he broke the all-time passing yards and TD records there - obviously a sign that he was still playing at a very high level.

The second part of my post was a response to the OP who seemed surprised that Peyton lives in Denver.  Denver's a cool city, near a major international airport, lots of opportunities out there, his kids are in school by now, he had some business ventures out there, etc.

All that aside, I'll always think of Peyton as a Colt.  Granted Peyton did win a  SB in Denver, he went there to finish his career and I would think most people who are old enough (or know the history) will think of Peyton as a Colt moreso than a Bronco.  I don't think anyone thinks of Montana as a KC Chief, Joe Flacco as a New York Jet, Michael Jordan as a Washington Wizard, etc. etc. etc. etc..  

Not that it matters, as many others have pointed out, when Peyton goes to the HOF he'll be in there as Peyton Manning and his accomplishments and his teams will be listed below him.  That said, I tend to think the vast majority of Broncos fans, if asked who the QB who represented the history of their franchise (or 'who is the face of the Denver Broncos franchise?') was would say John Elway (maybe a few younger fans who never saw Elway would say Peyton).   Likewise, the face of the Baltimore Colts is Johnny U. and the face of the Indianapolis Colts is Peyton Manning.

There is no denying PM did great things in both Indy and Denver, and both cities SHOULD think of him as "their guy.".  But, there is also no denying that PM accomplished much more in Indy than in Denver, which is to be expected with the amount of time spent in each place.

My guess is, Peyton has fond memories of both places (as mentioned in Fort2itus analogy), and thinks of his career in terms of both places. Quite honestly, I have fond memories of PM's time in Denver too. Beating NE, winning the Super Bowl, losing twice to the Colts, all good stuff.

Bottom line is Peyton built his legacy in Indianapolis and cemented it in Denver. It's actually not that unusual.

Lebron James, Roger Clemons, Wade Boggs, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, just to name a few.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be honest I am not sure why this is even a conversation. No matter what he would've accomplished in Denver outside of winning 2 SB's or more would be better than what he accomplished in Indy. He won 1 in Indy and 1 in Denver. I am glad he won that 2nd ring because I love him as a player and that helped his legacy but he is clearly/easily more a Colt. How people don't get that is baffling. He won 4 MVP's with the Colts, 1 with Denver. He won a SB MVP with the Colts, 0 with Denver. The Colts drafted him and he played 80% of his career with the Colts. I guess people have different opinions but I don't get this debate at all.

The debate is between which franchise utilized and supported Peyton better. At it's core, it is simply a Broncos vs Colts franchise debate and the argument that he is just as much of a Bronco as he is a Colt. Peyton is one of not the greatest player of all time, so it makes sense that fans want to claim him exclusively as one of their own. 

Honestly, they experienced all of the highs and lows of the Colts' Manning era in a short 4 years with them. They went to just as many Super Bowls and won just as many as Peyton did in 14 years with the Colts. He even broke the TD record in that short span with the Broncos. They whooped the Pats in the Playoffs (twice), they also went one and done against Bal and the Colts like he did many times in Indy, and also suffered a humiliating lopsided defeat in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks just as he did as a Colt in 2002 vs NYJ and in 2004 vs NE (divisional round). 

He is only clearly more a Colt due to his time played, and not due to a less or lack of accomplishments or relavance during his time with Denver. I wish the Colts would have kept him.

One could also argue the Colts are the team that built him up and made him who he was as they fostered his development from rookie to seasoned veteran due to the great coaches we had, such as Tom Moore and Dingy. 

Luck kicking the Colts to the curb is really poetic justice after the Colts kicked Manning and the entire era to the curb. 

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

TB was bad to start but was great after that. It’s easy to see if you just look at his numbers compared to his peers.

This is true. Bradshaw even lost his starting position to Joe Gilliam for a bit. 

We also have to keep in mind that the Steelers were a 1-13 team when Bradshaw was drafted in 1970.

They then went 5-9 and 6-8 his first two seasons. 

They got Franco Harris and Joe Green in 1972 and things changed. 

They lost the AFC championship game to the undefeated Dolphins in 1972. 

They started picking up players like Jack Lambert, Mel Blunt and Lynn Swan and the rest is history. 

They won 4 super bowls in 6 years. 

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Luck kicking the Colts to the curb is really poetic justice after the Colts kicked Manning and the entire era to the curb. 

If that is your feelings about the Colts how do you call yourself a fan with a strait face? 

You know there was more to it than that but you make up a negative narrative for yourself. 

On 12/25/2020 at 6:03 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

His SB accomplishments are. 2 SBs made and 1 SB won on both teams. Took 14 years on Indy and 4 years on Den. That exposes how poor of a team Polian built around Peyton. There's a reason Peyton embraces Denver so much.

Dear God....

You might want to consider that Peyton lives in Denver not for football reasons, but for quality of life reasons.    Prettier state.   Prettier city.   Better weather.   Better quality of life.    

Not everything is about football.   I know that’s hard for you to believe. 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God....

You might want to consider that Peyton lives in Denver not for football reasons, but for quality of life reasons.    Prettier state.   Prettier city.   Better weather.   Better quality of life.    

If I had Peyton's money I would live in either Colorado or somewhere up in Montana. 

He also has homes in Florida and Tennessee so he has homes in any kind of weather he wants. 

4 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

The debate is between which franchise utilized and supported Peyton better. At it's core, it is simply a Broncos vs Colts franchise debate and the argument that he is just as much of a Bronco as he is a Colt. Peyton is one of not the greatest player of all time, so it makes sense that fans want to claim him exclusively as one of their own. 

Honestly, they experienced all of the highs and lows of the Colts' Manning era in a short 4 years with them. They went to just as many Super Bowls and won just as many as Peyton did in 14 years with the Colts. He even broke the TD record in that short span with the Broncos. They whooped the Pats in the Playoffs (twice), they also went one and done against Bal and the Colts like he did many times in Indy, and also suffered a humiliating lopsided defeat in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks just as he did as a Colt in 2002 vs NYJ and in 2004 vs NE (divisional round). 

He is only clearly more a Colt due to his time played, and not due to a less or lack of accomplishments or relavance during his time with Denver. I wish the Colts would have kept him.

One could also argue the Colts are the team that built him up and made him who he was as they fostered his development from rookie to seasoned veteran due to the great coaches we had, such as Tom Moore and Dingy. 

We went 99-29 from 2003-2010 (winning 70% of our games) and went to 2 SB's and won 1 in 2006. I wouldn't call the Colts kicking the Manning era to the curb. 

7 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I didn't say in my post that he was choosing to be a Bronco over a Colt.   And I don't disagree with you that his time in Indy and accomplishments there outweigh what he did in Denver as a player.  The first part of my post was directed in response to another poster who claimed Peyton took a deteriorated arm with him to Denver, which simply wasn't the case - he did have the best 3 year stretch of his career (stats wise) the first 3 seasons he was in Denver and he broke the all-time passing yards and TD records there - obviously a sign that he was still playing at a very high level.

The second part of my post was a response to the OP who seemed surprised that Peyton lives in Denver.  Denver's a cool city, near a major international airport, lots of opportunities out there, his kids are in school by now, he had some business ventures out there, etc.

All that aside, I'll always think of Peyton as a Colt.  Granted Peyton did win a  SB in Denver, he went there to finish his career and I would think most people who are old enough (or know the history) will think of Peyton as a Colt moreso than a Bronco.  I don't think anyone thinks of Montana as a KC Chief, Joe Flacco as a New York Jet, Michael Jordan as a Washington Wizard, etc. etc. etc. etc..  

Not that it matters, as many others have pointed out, when Peyton goes to the HOF he'll be in there as Peyton Manning and his accomplishments and his teams will be listed below him.  That said, I tend to think the vast majority of Broncos fans, if asked who the QB who represented the history of their franchise (or 'who is the face of the Denver Broncos franchise?') was would say John Elway (maybe a few younger fans who never saw Elway would say Peyton).   Likewise, the face of the Baltimore Colts is Johnny U. and the face of the Indianapolis Colts is Peyton Manning.

Yep, if you ask any diehard Bronco fan who is over the age of 40 they will tell you Elway is the face of the franchise like Peyton is ours.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God....

Do you have proof of this, or is it just an assumption? Just wondering....

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Do you have proof of this, or is it just an assumption? Just wondering....

Assumption.    Just as you assume he’s living there because Denver did a better job supporting him than Indy did. 

PS — if I’m not mistaken, don’t you live in Colorado?  

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Assumption.    Just as you assume he’s living there because Denver did a better job supporting him than Indy did. 

PS — if I’m not mistaken, don’t you live in Colorado?  

Yes I do live in Colorado, and I've been a Peyton fan and Colts fan since I was 10 years old. So I'm pretty qualified on speaking about him. He thinks of them equally, but he is thankful Pat Bowlen and John Elway gave him a second chance and he was able to make two more SBs and win one on a team that was much better built than the Colts.

I don't think he blames Irsay for releasing him, but he knows deep down inside that he was carrying the Colts for 14 years. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God....

Yeah not gonna lie Colorado blows Indiana out of the water. 

I’ve always wanted to live in Colorado Springs. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yes I do live in Colorado, and I've been a Peyton fan and Colts fan since I was 10 years old. So I'm pretty qualified on speaking about him. He thinks of them equally, but he is thankful Pat Bowlen and John Elway gave him a second chance and he was able to make two more SBs and win one on a team that was much better built than the Colts.

I don't think he blames Irsay for releasing him, but he knows deep down inside that he was carrying the Colts for 14 years. 

All of that can be true,  and Peyton choosing to live in Colorado might still have nothing to do with football.  

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah not gonna lie Colorado blows Indiana out of the water. 

I’ve always wanted to live in Colorado Springs. 

Honestly...    everything I’ve read about Indiana and Indianapolis tells me I’d like it.  

But Colorado?    Wow, it is beautiful!  Year round.   Breathtaking.    Perhaps one of the five prettiest states in a country filled with beautiful places to live.    Eye popping!    :omg:

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly...    everything I’ve read about Indiana and Indianapolis tells me I’d like it.  

But Colorado?    Wow, it is beautiful!  Year round.   Breathtaking.    Perhaps one of the five prettiest states in a country filled with beautiful places to live.    Eye popping!    :omg:

I’m a lifelong Hoosier, but I stayed in Colorado for a few months when I was younger. The mountains, the landscapes, the people... It spoke to me in a way no other location has. 

Colorado Rockies Snow GIF by Matthew Butler

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The brownies and other assorted edibles in Denver are definitely better than Indy. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Just why do you think you know what  Peyton thinks about the Colts? The Colts and Irsay made him the 1st overall pick and made him a very rich man. Irsay at a later time made him the highest paid player in NFL history. 

Peyton knows the NFL is a business and Irsay had to do what was done. Had Irsay not cut him he wouldn't have had the chance to sign with the Broncos. Then Irsay paid him on a contract that Peyton didn't earn. 

Archived